With the conclusion of the 2019 football season, the Liberty football team saw the end of careers of some of the best players to ever wear the Liberty jersey.
That got us thinking, who are the best at each position to ever play at Liberty? We started with the quarterbacks, and have also discussed the running backs and the wide receivers. Today, we move to the defensive backs.
Heres our ranking, be sure to let us know where we messed up and who we left off:
Arguably the best returner in school history, Kevin Fogg also made his mark as one of the programs top cornerbacks as his career developed. By his senior season, Fogg and Aikens combined to make one of the best CB tandems in the country.
First breaking onto the scene as an explosive returner, Fogg received numerous national awards for his explosive ability his first couple of seasons at Liberty. By the end of his career, he became entrenched as a starter at corner opposite of Aikens.
After a short stay in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Fogg has gone on to a standout career as one of the top defensive backs and returners in the CFL.
Drafted in the 4th round of the NFL Draft in 2014, Aikens starred at Liberty after transferring from Illinois. He led the team with 62 tackles his senior season. A three-year starter, Aikens was named a Big South all-conference performer each season.
He even tried his hand at basketball for a season as he was a two-sport athlete briefly for the Flames. In addition to his 62 tackles as a senior, Aikens added 3 interceptions and 7 pass deflections. He finished his career with 7 interceptions and 6 forced fumbles.
Aikens NFL stock began to rise at the Senior Bowl and then at his pro day he had over 20 scouts show up as he went from being considered a fringe draft pick consideration in the late rounds to being projected as high as a 2nd round pick before the Miami Dolphins eventually selected him No. 125 overall.
The final two years of Sheltons career, he combined to have 100 tackles and finished his career with 11 interceptions and 26 breakups. In addition to being a standout at corner, he was also very dynamic as a returner. He still holds program records for career punt return yardage, punt returns for a touchdown and punt return average.
His 20 pass breakups in 1988 are tied for the 2nd most in a single season in school history and he has the third most career pass breakups. Following his senior season, he was named first-team all-state and was inducted into the Liberty Hall of Fame in 2017.
After competing at the NFL Combine, Shelton became the third player in program history to be selected in the NFL Draft when he was taken by the Denver Broncos in the 10th round in 1989. He had a five-year playing career with the Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers. Following his playing career, he has been a long-time NFL scout for the Tennessee Titans.
The beginning of Hagens career was overshadowed by the electric play of Kevin Fogg and Walt Aikens, but once they were out of the program and Hagen had matured, everyone began to notice how good of a player he actually was.
His senior campaign, in 2014, is arguably the most impressive single season any defensive back has ever had in a Liberty uniform. As a safety, he led the team with 108 tackles and 8 interceptions that year as he was named a first-team all-american and the defensive player of the year in Virginia.
As a junior, Hagen began to make a name for himself, as he was named third-team all-american and first-team all-state. He would go on to a brief NFL career as he was on the preseason rosters for the Rams and Steelers from 2015-2017.
Haddix came out of nowhere in the early 80s to become one of the best defensive players in school history. In addition to his ability as a cornerback, Haddix was also a standout returner. He led the Flames in punt returns in three of his four seasons in Lynchburg and still holds the programs single game punt return record.
Haddix was the first Liberty player to receive an invitation to the Senior Bowl and just the second to participate in the Blue-Gray game. He was named first-team all-state during his senior season and elected to the Liberty Hall of Fame in 2014.
His career extended to the NFL where he is the first alumnus in program history to earn a trip to the Pro Bowl after he led the NFL with interceptions when playing with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Originally posted here:
- liberty | Definition & Examples | Britannica - December 4th, 2020
- Liberty Global to Present at the UBS Global TMT Virtual Conference - Business Wire - December 4th, 2020
- UMass football out of its league in blowout loss to Liberty - The Boston Globe - December 4th, 2020
- Northeast High Principal to take over Liberty High, month after its principal was removed - The Advocate - December 4th, 2020
- Liberty Hall hosts Festival of Trees this week, but online viewing options also available - Lawrence Journal-World - December 4th, 2020
- 30 of Walter Williams's Best Quotes on Liberty, Rights, Property, and Coercion | Gary M. Galles - Foundation for Economic Education - December 4th, 2020
- Q&A with A Sixers Odyssey Author and Former Liberty Baller Dave Rueter - Liberty Ballers - December 4th, 2020
- Crisis response team called to Liberty Twp. standoff - WKBN.com - December 4th, 2020
- What's the future of Ace Hotel in East Liberty? Could be new owners - NEXTpittsburgh - November 3rd, 2020
- Liberty All-Star Growth Fund, Inc. Declares Regular Quarterly Distribution and Amount Required for Excise Tax Purposes - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Body found in Trinity River bottom near Liberty - Bluebonnet News - November 3rd, 2020
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of lacit - The Spectator US - November 3rd, 2020
- A Possible Road to the Top 25 This Weekend for Liberty - A Sea of Red - November 3rd, 2020
- Whats happening with Tauntons Liberty and Union Festival? Its moved to your screens - Taunton Daily Gazette - October 19th, 2020
- Teen sentenced to 24 months for involvement in Liberty Twp. park shootout - Hamilton Journal News - October 19th, 2020
- Trump's rallies define his view of liberty: The right not to care about other people - Yahoo News - October 19th, 2020
- Reader: Our liberty is threatened - Midland Daily News - October 19th, 2020
- Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Victimhood - Jewish Journal - October 19th, 2020
- No debate: Iowa City Liberty is the cream of the MVC volleyball crop - The Gazette - October 19th, 2020
- Liberty surges in others receiving votes of Top 25 polls - A Sea of Red - October 19th, 2020
- City Journal: Liberty, in Sickness and in Health - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - October 19th, 2020
- Liberty High principal on leave after threat to make football players stand for national anthem - The Advocate - October 19th, 2020
- Fans Are Going Wild Over Meghan McCains First Picture with Daughter Liberty Sage - Prevention.com - October 19th, 2020
- Why is Liberty missing the excitement? - Coastal Courier - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty man reunited with two men who helped save his life after heart attack - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Defensive lineman ready to make big impression at Liberty - The Cross Timbers Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: 12th annual Freedom Conference was victory for liberty - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- HEQ: Liberty President on Growing the Reverse Mortgage Business by Expanding Distribution - Reverse Mortgage Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reader says our liberty has been taken away - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 2nd, 2020
- Bonner leads Sun to important 70-65 win over Liberty - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Gazette area volleyball Super 10: Xavier, Liberty climb to Nos. 2 and 3 - The Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- One man dead, another arrested following shooting in Liberty Township - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- I want the people of God to enjoy liberty: Pastor at Maine super-spreader wedding gives defiant indoor sermon - The Boston Globe - September 2nd, 2020
- At Liberty, 30 students and staff have tested positive for coronavirus - Lynchburg News and Advance - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Springfield aims to be citys 1st recreational marijuana shop - MassLive.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020