LYNCHBURG Liberty University offered $1,000 credits to students who decided not to return to campus residence halls because of the coronavirus pandemic, the university announced Friday.
For students returning in the fall, the credit will be available for tuition and room and board costs.
Graduating students will be provided a refund for any money left over after the credit is applied to their accounts in late April. Students not returning in the fall are not eligible.
Students had until Saturday to leave their dorms to qualify for the credit, according to the universitys online announcement Friday.
The offer could help incentivize some students who remained on campus to return to their hometowns. On Tuesday, a Liberty representative said about 1,900 were back on campus.
Liberty faced a flood of criticism from state and local officials after President Jerry Falwell Jr. invited students to return to campus even as most classes moved to an online format in response to the coronavirus threat.
I think we have a responsibility to our students who paid to be here, who want to be here, who love it here to give them the ability to be with their friends, to continue their studies, enjoy the room and board theyve already paid for and to not interrupt their college life, Falwell told The News & Advance on March 22.
During a news conference Wednesday, Gov. Ralph Northam called on Falwell to reconsider his decision to invite students back to campus.
Fridays announcement made Liberty the first institution of higher learning in the Lynchburg area to announce specific plans to reimburse students.
Leaders at Randolph College and Sweet Briar College have pledged to offer reimbursements in the future but had not yet released details about the exact size of the refunds.
The University of Lynchburg, meanwhile, has a policy against providing refunds in response to a pandemic, but administrators have said they are considering changing that policy.
Robert Lambeth Jr., the president of the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia, said most private institutions in the state were considering offering refunds to students but are taking different approaches.
Some independent colleges and universities, including Liberty, are offering refunds at a flat rate, while others are prorating refunds based on the amount of time students spend on campus and the level of financial aid they receive, Lambeth said.
Theyre all over the map as to how the amount is calculated, Lambeth said. Everybody is making their own decisions.
Lambeth said several institutions were waiting to see how much assistance they would receive from the federal government as part of a $2 trillion emergency stimulus package.
Colleges and universities across the country are expected to receive about $14 billion in total relief.
Private institutions in particular are taking a huge financial hit from this whole crisis, he said. Its very difficult for all colleges, but particularly private colleges that dont get any direct state assistance.
Housing costs at Liberty range from $2,300 to $3,750 a semester, depending on the residence hall.
Richard Chumney covers Liberty University for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5547.
- The Liberty Biberdy Guy from Liberty Mutual Commercials, Tanner Novlan, Is Joining CBS Soap Bold and the Beautiful - Showbiz411 - July 11th, 2020
- Cornerback Williams verbally commits to Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 11th, 2020
- Letter: Mask ordinance is attempt to take away liberty and freedom - Sumter Item - July 11th, 2020
- 'Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' San Diego Downtown News - San Diego Downtown News - July 11th, 2020
- Lebanon-Hanover natural gas project no longer in the pipeline - Valley News - July 11th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: I don't believe we have liberty and justice for all - Summit Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Tennis looking to return to the courts in Philadelphia - Outsports - July 11th, 2020
- No leads on man who vanished from Belmont Ave. in Liberty without a trace - WKBN.com - July 11th, 2020
- National View: A holiday for the dream of liberty and justice for all - MetroWest Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Hall to host virtual concert to celebrate 90th anniversary - Tyler Morning Telegraph - July 11th, 2020
- The Penultimate Day of Overtime July: Religious Liberty Wednesday - Reason - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Shere named Northeast Tech Claremore Campus Director - Claremore Daily Progress - July 11th, 2020
- PHOTOS: Socially-Distanced Dining at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the Newly-Reopened Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - July 11th, 2020
- Police say Liberty business owner stabbed theft suspect, who still managed to get away - WKBN.com - July 11th, 2020
- More new cases of COVID-19 reported in Liberty County - Bluebonnet News - July 11th, 2020
- Online learning hiccups lead to civil liberty threats | TheHill - The Hill - July 11th, 2020
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020