Brandon Hall didnt want to come back to coaching wrestling unless it was real.
Some of the other jobs that came open, no disrespect to them, but I felt like Id have to manufacture the passion to get things going there, he said. But I thought Liberty, the passion would have come back really quickly, if that had ever come available to me.
And now it has.
With the approval of the Bethlehem Area School Board on Monday, Hall becomes the fifth head coach in Hurricanes history, succeeding Jody Karam and his 26 eventful years.
Its a remarkable turnaround for Hall, who at this time last year was dealing with his ouster as Freedoms head coach, where he had been since 2010.
Yes, the same school district where he was just hired. And, yes, Libertys archrival. Like going from the Yankees to the Red Sox, Penn State to Pitt, Easton to Phillipsburg.
As one former Freedom wrestler tweeted at the news, I never thought Id be rooting for Liberty wrestling.
But a deeper look shows the move makes sense.
First, and foremost, almost everybody in the regional wrestling community respected the job Hall did at Freedom, and almost everybody was surprised (to say the least) when he was let go. That included plenty of people at Liberty, who, when Karam resigned in July, knew who they wanted to step in. While Liberty and Freedom are in the same district, they are not run, at most levels, by the same people. So Freedom not wanting Hall made no difference if Liberty did. And it did.
Second, Hall loves Bethlehem, in the way that sometimes only a transplant can. Hes not a native -- Hall, now 43, originally hails from tiny Tussey Mountain High School in south-central Pennsylvania, in perhaps the most obscure PIAA district (5). But while you could drop Tussey Mountains graduating class into Libertys student body and hardly anyone would notice, Hall sees a similar mindset in the Christmas City.
My wife Tara and I moved here in 2000 and we live in Bethlehem, Hall said. It feels like a small-town environment, which is so important to me, My children go to Nitschmann Middle School and James Buchanan Elementary. I have always been impressed by the sense of community at Liberty, its a beautiful thing to see how many people care about the school in all its aspects.
Hall, who teaches social studies at South Mountain Middle School in the Allentown School District, and his passion for his adopted hometown and his sport came together nicely.
I was on vacation in Maine (when Karam resigned), way up in Maine, and we barely had cellphone service, and people were calling and asking me if I wanted the job, Hall said. I really thought about it and I never thought the opportunity would come up, but now it has, and its an amazing thing to me, being head coach of the oldest program in the state (1923).
Third, Hall loves wrestling in a way that a coach at a program like Liberty must love the sport. When you coach at one of the Lehigh Valleys top wrestling schools, you become identified with both the school and, even more so, the sport in an almost all-consuming way. Thats not for everybody -- as some folks who have taken those jobs have learned to their sorrow -- but it fits Hall perfectly.
My wife told me, Youll never be completely happy if youre not involved in wrestling; remember you went back to school to get your teaching certificate because of coaching, Hall said. She reminded me of that -- to not lose sight of your ultimate goal.
Hall did hesitate a bit about applying at Liberty.
Would they hire me?, Hall said he thought. We know what happened across town, the same school district. But (longtime referee and youth coach) Mike Evans, who I am really good friends with, reached out to me and said, I think you are so wrong. I think you are misreading this.
That excellent advice landed Hall at Liberty, where he can apply his long experience in wrestling -- he was part of three MAC championship teams at Lycoming under the legendary Roger Crebs, as good a coaching model as can be found -- to maintain the levels of excellence Karam reached, especially in recent seasons.
Theres every reason to believe Hall will do so.
Karam inspired loyalty and commitment to Liberty wrestling, and Hall did the same at Freedom. Both coaches, while wildly different personalities and with a very different sense of style (Hall isnt quite Karam-like in sartorial splendor), believe in their wrestlers and their staff in ways that last far beyond the mat and create lifetime bonds.Thats where the passion comes in.
Halls Liberty will be a mix of Freedom types and Liberty loyalists on staff, with Kyle DeHaut and Evans as ex-Pates and Mikey Pena, Richie Cabrera and more as Hurricanes holdovers.
Its not just about bringing in my people, Hall said. What makes Liberty great is all the people that want to help me.
Hall helps himself by his approach to the sport. Like Karam, he knows not everybody wrestles year-round, and thats OK. He has a real flair for working with upper weights -- an increasing rarity these days and often an untapped road to victories. He can convince athletes to wrestle, as he did so well at Freedom. At the same time, he knows the junior high and youth programs are critical.
Its all helped by where Hall is.
Theres a lot of history and tradition here, Hall said. Its our goal to make it even better.
Halls task will be to keep Liberty at the top of the region and advance the Hurricanes to levels not seen under Karam -- a berth in the state team duals, for example. Hall has a clear idea of what he wants on the mat.
Grit and no quit," he said. Thats what I want to see. I want the same blue-collar mentality this town as built on. I dont want my kids to back down no matter who steps on the mat. The other kid has better technique? Get in their face and break them, dont ever stop.
If Liberty wrestles like that every night, with that kind of passion, Bethlehem will love Hall as much as he loves it.
Brad Wilson may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @bradwsports. Find Lehigh Valley high school sports on Facebook.
- Liberty defensive depth to be tested against UMass - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- The 'cautionary tale' of Liberty University - The College Fix - October 29th, 2019
- Phase 1 of new signage in Liberty completed - Times Herald-Record - October 29th, 2019
- Boyd Matheson: Liberty without morality and religious freedom is but window dressing - Deseret News - October 29th, 2019
- Rutgers Million-Dollar Guarantee To Liberty Proved To Be A Wise Investment - Forbes - October 29th, 2019
- Washington-Liberty QB Andrew Bolfek throws 6 TDs to win Player of the Week - WTOP - October 29th, 2019
- In the region: No. 6 UVa field hockey tops No. 17 Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- TSA: Man Tried To Bring Loaded Gun On Plane At Newark Liberty International Airport - CBS Pittsburgh - October 29th, 2019
- If You Had Bought One Liberty Properties (NYSE:OLP) Shares Five Years Ago Youd Have Made 23% - Simply Wall St - October 29th, 2019
- LTE: The Il-liberty of Protest - The Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Apartments in south Cape still set to open in April - Southeast Missourian - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Hall stops in to chat about their showing of a Halloween movie this Thursday - KETK | FOX51 | EastTexasMatters.com - October 29th, 2019
- What does she stand for? A meditation on the Statue of Liberty on her 133rd birthday - New York Daily News - October 29th, 2019
- Olentangy Liberty band invited to perform in London by Winston Churchill's great-grandson - ABC6OnYourSide.com - October 29th, 2019
- Intrepid Theatre returns with 'The Thousandth Night' at Liberty Station - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 29th, 2019
- Rutgers won its 2nd game this year by defeating Liberty | What did visiting recruits think? - NJ.com - October 29th, 2019
- Visit the Statue of Liberty, feel her unifying message | Opinion - NJ.com - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Opening Of 19th Florida Dispensary In Pensacola; Second Panhandle Location - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty adds UConn to 2020 football schedule, moves UVa game to 2023 - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 24th, 2019
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are not in US Constitution - Call Newspapers - October 24th, 2019
- British government notes 'deterioration' of religious liberty in several countries - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - October 24th, 2019
- What are the odds? Liberty twin has twin daughters born on his birthday - WDAF FOX4 Kansas City - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Development partnering with St. Clement Church in Lakewood to build Madison Avenue townhomes - cleveland.com - October 24th, 2019
- Falwell threatens to sue journalist behind explosive report, demands retraction - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 24th, 2019
- G Adventures and Liberty Travel Form Preferred Partnership - TravelPulse - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights Football is set to welcome the Liberty Flames to town -- B1G Football - Rivals.com - October 24th, 2019
- Her Immigrant Story: 'Mother Of Exiles' Documentary Reveals Statue Of Liberty's Little-Known History - Women You Should Know - October 24th, 2019
- Letter: May the sweet sound of liberty ring - PostBulletin.com - October 24th, 2019
- Religious Liberty Leaders Emphasize Connecting With the Marginalized - Adventist Review - October 24th, 2019
- Is Liberty Property Trust (LPT) Going to Burn These Hedge Funds? - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Slavery and liberty: A new exhibit explores the Thomas Jefferson paradox - Archinect - October 24th, 2019
- Hate LAX? Why New York's Newark Liberty International Airport is a relative breeze - Stuff.co.nz - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Ranch FFA students show children where their food comes from - The Galt Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Trenton Catholic boys soccer earns share of BCSL Liberty crown - The Trentonian - October 24th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor Liberty or Tyranny | Letters To The Editor - Richfield Reaper - October 24th, 2019
- Former Liberty-Eylau coach accused of sexual misconduct with students - TXK Today - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Health Sciences Appoints George Gremse To The Board Of Directors - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- ZOM Senior Living, in a venture with Liberty Senior Living and funds managed by Ares Management Corporation's Real Estate Group, announces... - October 16th, 2019
- EAST LIBERTY DEVELOPMENT: Vote Wednesday could help clear way for controversial $50 million project in East Liberty - WPXI Pittsburgh - October 16th, 2019
- Take A Look! | Black Bear Spotted Swimming In Liberty Reservoir - CBS Baltimore - October 16th, 2019
- Religious Liberty, Nondiscrimination, and the Left - National Review - October 16th, 2019
- 'Citizens for Liberty and Labor' PAC drops another $40K against Woodward's campaign - KXLY Spokane - October 16th, 2019
- Liberty Harbor East opens, bringing another luxury apartment building and relocated Whole Foods to Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - October 16th, 2019
- Kelvin Edwards honored to have his jersey retired at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 16th, 2019
- Liberty City and Brownville will not rise | Letters to the Editor - The Miami Times - October 16th, 2019
- Have you ever wanted to fly in a World War II-era B-17 or P-51 Mustang? Heres your chance - Commercial Appeal - October 16th, 2019
- Water Main Break On Liberty Ave. In Front Of Wyndham Grand Hotel Floods Road - CBS Pittsburgh - October 16th, 2019
- No Parking Ordinance Vexes Some Liberty Residents - The Tube City Almanac - October 16th, 2019
- Review: Liberty: Mother of Exiles pays tribute to the statue - Los Angeles Times - October 16th, 2019
- What it's like to grow up next to the Statue of Liberty - New York Post - October 16th, 2019
- In Focus: New Red Door Grill in Liberty allows you to leave troubles at door - KMBC Kansas City - October 16th, 2019
- Readers respond: We need a southern Statue of Liberty - OregonLive.com - October 16th, 2019
- ICRC welcomes the UN's Global Study on Children Deprived of Liberty - World - ReliefWeb - October 16th, 2019
- Contest for Liberty Review: Commanding the Continentals - The Wall Street Journal - October 1st, 2019
- Contradicting earlier account, Liberty's accreditor says it has not contacted university over media reports - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 1st, 2019
- Argument over Carson King, Busch Light leads to assault in North Liberty - The Gazette - October 1st, 2019
- Correction: Liberty University-Falwell story - The Associated Press - October 1st, 2019
- Liberty Gold Drills Thick, High-Grade Carlin-Style Gold Mineralization at the Black Pine Project, Idaho, USA, Including 2.51 g/t Oxide Gold over 41.1... - October 1st, 2019
- Bellaire Big Reds; West Liberty University Team Of The Week - WTRF - October 1st, 2019
- Elvis, Tina Turner, Madonna and the Statue of Liberty walk into the University of Arizona - Arizona Daily Wildcat - October 1st, 2019
- Police reveal names of young girls found dead in car in Liberty County - WJCL News - October 1st, 2019
- If You Had Bought Liberty Braves Group (NASDAQ:BATR.K) Stock Three Years Ago, You Could Pocket A 60% Gain Today - Simply Wall St - October 1st, 2019
- Freedom of Association: The First Liberty - Stoutonia - October 1st, 2019
- Liberty and the pursuit of happiness - Washington Times - October 1st, 2019
- Religious Liberty Fight on the Horizon at SCOTUS - Townhall - October 1st, 2019
- Wellsboro's Mann nets 50th in win over NP-Liberty - Towanda Daily Review - October 1st, 2019
- Region roundup: Liberty volleyball earns third straight sweep, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 1st, 2019
- Liberty University official to launch primary challenge to GOP's Riggleman | TheHill - The Hill - October 1st, 2019
- Curbs in Kashmir: There has to be balance between personal liberty & national security, says SC - Economic Times - October 1st, 2019
- WNBA Great Teresa Weatherspoon to Make Mark in NBA - HERO Sports - October 1st, 2019
- International Space Station to be visible on Sept. 19-20 - Yahoo News - September 19th, 2019
- A Room with a Galactic View Inside the Worlds First Space Hotel - The Vintage News - September 19th, 2019
- Bigelow's B330 - an autonomous, expandable independent exploration space station - NASASpaceflight.com - September 19th, 2019
- First hotel in space set to open in 2025 with cruise ship amenities and out-of-this-world views - Fox 35 Orlando - September 19th, 2019
- Bigelow Aerospace and NASA test earthly mockup of interplanetary space station - GeekWire - September 19th, 2019
- Designs revealed for incredible new space hotel - CNN - September 19th, 2019
- NASA Astronauts interact with Kentucky students while in space - WBKO - September 19th, 2019
- Fox's 'Ad Astra' Bets on More Than Just Space Spectacle to Draw Moviegoers - Hollywood Reporter - September 19th, 2019
- Brad Pitt to Speak with NASA Astronaut on Space Station about Artemis Program - PRNewswire - September 19th, 2019
- Maine astronauts to shake hands in space - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - September 19th, 2019