KEARNEY Shiloh Robinson initially thought he would redshirt in his first year at Liberty University.
But that quickly changed as the 6-foot-7, 215-pound freshman forward from Kearney showed promise in preseason practices.
Robinson and the Liberty mens basketball coaching staff agreed just days before the start of the regular season that it was in the teams best interest if he played this season.
Robinson was a key piece off the bench for the Flames, who posted a 30-4 record and had one of their best seasons in program history this year.
The Flames tied for the second-most wins in Division I behind Gonzagas 31 victories. They also won the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament to earn their second consecutive automatic berth for the NCAA Tournament.
Robinson didnt experience the thrills of March Madness this season, however. On March 12, the NCAA canceled the tournament due to the coronavirus crisis.
It was a shocking occurrence for Robinson and his teammates, especially since the Flames roster boasts four seniors. Last year, the 12th-seeded Flames upset fifth-seeded Mississippi State in the first round.
We figured out March Madness was probably going to get canceled when the NBA suspended their league, Robinson said. I found out on the notification app just like everyone else. Most of the coaches were gone recruiting, so we had a team meeting to discuss the season later that night.
Robinson ranked eighth in minutes played and was one of six players to appear in all 34 contests for the Flames this season.
He averaged 2.6 points per game on 46.6 percent shooting in 10.9 minutes per contest. He was a versatile option defensively for the Flames, playing mostly at power forward. He also saw time at small forward and center, which he played in high school for Kearney High School when he earned 2018-19 Hub Territory Boys Basketball Player of the Year.
It was obviously an adjustment from high school to college, Robinson said. I think I definitely got a lot better.
The hardest transition was the physicality. Nebraska high school basketball doesnt really prepare you physically for Division I. Also, just shooting. I didnt shoot a lot in high school, so that was a big adjustment.
Robinson, a sports management major, returned to Kearney on March 19 and will finish the semester online.
Despite the coronavirus outbreak, Liberty is allowing students to remain on campus and attend classes in-person if they prefer that option.
Robinson said he will return to Lynchburg, Va., once student-athletes are allowed to use the athletic facilities.
He hopes to improve his dribbling, understanding of the offense and jump shot this offseason in preparation for his sophomore year.
Although the season ended abruptly, Robinson is appreciative of the success he experienced in his first year. He also aspires to lead the Flames back to the NCAA Tournament in the future.
March Madness got canceled and that was disappointing, Robinson said. But something Ive been thinking is that if our team needed to win one, two, three more games to deem our team as successful then the whole season was useless. We won 30 games, so I dont think we should focus on what didnt happen but what did happen. We had a really good season.
Read the rest here:
- The Liberty Biberdy Guy from Liberty Mutual Commercials, Tanner Novlan, Is Joining CBS Soap Bold and the Beautiful - Showbiz411 - July 11th, 2020
- Cornerback Williams verbally commits to Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 11th, 2020
- Letter: Mask ordinance is attempt to take away liberty and freedom - Sumter Item - July 11th, 2020
- 'Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' San Diego Downtown News - San Diego Downtown News - July 11th, 2020
- Lebanon-Hanover natural gas project no longer in the pipeline - Valley News - July 11th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: I don't believe we have liberty and justice for all - Summit Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Tennis looking to return to the courts in Philadelphia - Outsports - July 11th, 2020
- No leads on man who vanished from Belmont Ave. in Liberty without a trace - WKBN.com - July 11th, 2020
- National View: A holiday for the dream of liberty and justice for all - MetroWest Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Hall to host virtual concert to celebrate 90th anniversary - Tyler Morning Telegraph - July 11th, 2020
- The Penultimate Day of Overtime July: Religious Liberty Wednesday - Reason - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Shere named Northeast Tech Claremore Campus Director - Claremore Daily Progress - July 11th, 2020
- PHOTOS: Socially-Distanced Dining at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the Newly-Reopened Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - July 11th, 2020
- Police say Liberty business owner stabbed theft suspect, who still managed to get away - WKBN.com - July 11th, 2020
- More new cases of COVID-19 reported in Liberty County - Bluebonnet News - July 11th, 2020
- Online learning hiccups lead to civil liberty threats | TheHill - The Hill - July 11th, 2020
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020