The names kept rolling off Kelvin Edwards tongue in rapid-fire succession.
Fred Banks. Richard Shelton. Mark Mathis. Wayne Haddix. Rennie Jones. Steve Clark.
Each name carried an NFL team with it as Edwards memory flooded back with memories of his former college teammates time at the professional level.
For the 55-year-old Edwards, who also donned NFL jerseys, those teammates on the Liberty football team were equally responsible for the gaudy numbers he put up as a wide receiver and his eventual selection in the fourth round of the 1986 NFL Draft.
Those same teammates are reuniting with Edwards this Saturday for the football programs Homecoming game against Maine. This reunion, however, carries extra significance for Edwards.
He will be the fourth person to have a jersey retired by the football program as his No. 83 will be unveiled in between the first and second quarters of the Flames 6 p.m. matchup with Maine at Williams Stadium.
These guys are going to be there and thats going to be another experience, Edwards said in a recent phone interview. One thing I told them, Look here, I didnt get this jersey retired by myself. You guys helped me to get there. You guys pushed me to be who I am right now. You guys worked me even the days I didnt want to play, practice, you made me practice because your competitiveness in you allowed me to get on that field to compete every day.
The jersey retirement ceremony marks only the fourth jersey retired by the football program.
The No. 71 was retired in 2006 in honor of Jerry Falwell and no player wears that number in any sport at Liberty. Former coach Sam Rutigliano and tight end Eric Green (No. 86) had jerseys retired in their honor in 2008.
Edwards, a native of Atlanta, was named to the Associated Press Little All-America first team in 1985 and selected to play in the Blue-Gray All-Star game that same season.
He graduated from Liberty with 2,546 receiving yards and 22 touchdowns, and was one of seven inducted into the athletic departments inaugural Hall of Fame class in 2009.
The inaugural class included Jerry Falwell, Arthur Williams, Elena (Kisseleva) Bengds, Bob Bonheim, Sid Bream and Karl Hess.
First off, its always an honor to get an award for anything that you do in life that you think that youre really deserving of a lot of time, Edwards said. When I look at the honor, first off, I would like to thank Jerry Falwell Jr., Dr. Falwell, and then Id like to thank the school itself, the faculty and staff, and just the student body.
I know I couldnt do it without the student body, being motivated by them to go out and play in these games that were cold, snow on the field, rain on the field, and it wasnt that many, but the ones that showed up, I want to thank them for being a part of it. To me, that is the greatest honor of them all: to be accepted by your peers, be accepted by the people around you to respect for what youve done and the body of work youve put in.
The gaudy numbers he produced on the gridiron are particularly impressive given the number of future pros on the roster. All six former teammates attending the jersey retirement ceremony played for at least one NFL team. Banks played for three teams over eight seasons and Haddix was voted to the NFL Pro Bowl in 1990 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
I think we had an unusual team with a bunch of unusual players that came from different ethnic backgrounds and different places, Edwards said. For us to mend together as one, its probably one of the greatest scenes that probably ever happened. If you really go and dissect our team, just dissect that 82, 83, 84, 85 team, you will see there were more pros on any team that ever been in Liberty history.
Do I think playing and being an All-American and being drafted was a key impact? Yes, it was. I think it was a key design only by God. Only God could do that. Only God could have put that team together like that. So, so many different athletes from different places of the country was able to play together and really talented players.
Practice was like playing in the Big 12 or playing in the SEC or playing in the Big 10 for our skill position, because our skill position, you noticed we had a lot of people drafted from our skill positions. It was always competition going on every day.
Edwards owns a pair of car dealerships in the Dallas, Texas area in the cities of Cedar Hill and Lancaster south of Dallas and has attended several recent Liberty football games.
He made the 90-minute trip to Waco for the 2017 season opener that saw the Flames defeat Baylor 48-45 for the programs first victory over a Power 5 program, and he attended this seasons opener against Syracuse, which marked the first time an ACC team visited Williams Stadium.
The evolution of the program is something he said he never would have envisioned when he was 18 years old and first stepping foot onto Libertys campus.
Right now as an older gentleman, I think this is an amazing scene. Its coming into fruition in my own time, he said. Im able to live through this thing and can see this right here.
Some teammates of mine have passed away, and now Im able to see what Dr. Falwell was visualizing all from the beginning that playing in an 80,000-seat stadium, playing against North Carolina, playing against Syracuse.
This is an awesome moment in time for Liberty University. People need to take advantage of it. We might not win, but were starting to change how people look at us, how people feel about Liberty University.
Damien Sordelett covers Liberty University athletics and local golf for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5550.
Damien Sordelett covers Liberty University athletics and local golf for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5550.
The rest is here:
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - January 5th, 2020
- Sale | Liberty London Sale | Liberty London - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty's defense stifles NJIT, 65-38 - WSET - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty boys basketball doesnt beat buzzer, but does beat Whitehall in OT - lehighvalleylive.com - January 5th, 2020
- New York Liberty to reveal new head coach on Wednesday morning - Elite Sports NY - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Selected by Uber to Cover Drivers in New England, South Carolina and Puerto Rico - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Women To Open New Year with Meets At Florida, FGCU - SwimSwam - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Vittert: Got a resolution for the New Year? Here's a statistician's advice on how to keep it - Fox Business - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Hill woman accused of beating that sent son to hospital - Austin American-Statesman - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty, Equality, and Identity - The Bulwark - January 5th, 2020
- Josh Richardson and others are right to call out Sixers' effort - Liberty Ballers - January 5th, 2020
- This Week in Mid-Major: Liberty takes a page from UVa's playbook, Bryant's shot-swatter, the top 10 and more - The Athletic - January 5th, 2020
- YEAR END: Liberty County baseball coach and wife electrocuted, son injured at baseball field - The News Herald - January 5th, 2020
- Patriots hook up Navy Football with nice transportation to Liberty Bowl - 98.5 The Sports Hub - December 26th, 2019
- Stephen Calvert, Liberty Top Georgia Southern 23-16 to Win 2019 Cure Bowl - Bleacher Report - December 26th, 2019
- Donald Trump, Jerry Falwell Jr., and Liberty Universitys Football Vision - The Ringer - December 26th, 2019
- Akron faces Liberty in Washington - WVVA TV - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty Media Floated the Idea of Buying IndyCar Alongside its F1 Acquisition - Essentially Sports - December 26th, 2019
- Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 and 2 Pro true wireless buds are down to $60 and $110 ($40 off) - Android Police - December 26th, 2019
- Diventures' new 60-foot-pool in North Liberty is heated and ready for scuba divers in training - The Gazette - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty and the Birth of Jesus Go Hand in Hand - Liberty Nation - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty family seeks justice after 'targeted attack' of their dog in its own back yard - WYFF4 Greenville - December 26th, 2019
- 820 Liberty Avenue went from yow to wow creating four large lofts in an extensive renovation - NEXTpittsburgh - December 26th, 2019
- Kiggins, Liberty theaters strive for creativity - Columbian.com - The Columbian - December 26th, 2019
- Watch the parade for the 61st AutoZone Liberty Bowl on Local 24! - WATN - Local 24 - December 26th, 2019
- Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro review: The best-sounding earbuds of 2019 [Video] - 9to5Google - December 26th, 2019
- Dem Voters Caught Between the Geriatrics and Socialist Swampsters - Liberty Nation - December 26th, 2019
- Games to Watch This Weekend for Liberty's Bowl Hopes (11/26 edition) - A Sea of Red - November 27th, 2019
- Heather Stearns of Tallahassee, Florida, Has Recently Been Appointed President of LIBERTY Dental Plan of Florida, Inc. - Business Wire - November 27th, 2019
- PHOTOS: Umbrellas, Tables, and Seating Appear at Liberty Square... - wdwnt.com - November 27th, 2019
- Newark Liberty International Airport is Actually in Elizabeth, NJ- (County of Union) Now the Destination is Visible to Passengers - Yahoo Finance - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty vs. Morgan State odds: 2019 The Islands of the Bahamas Showcase picks, predictions from proven model - CBS Sports - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty defeats UMKC to win the Islands of the Bahamas Showcase - A Sea of Red - November 27th, 2019
- The Liberty Foundation Awards $422,000 to 18 Nonprofit Organizations | Business Gallery - The Weekly Journal - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty Science Center's Inaugural Genius of New Jersey to Honor Innovators Who Make the State a World Leader in Cutting-Edge Applied Science -... - November 27th, 2019
- Sixty minutes for 60 more: Liberty focuses on final chance to become bowl eligible - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 27th, 2019
- What to Be Thankful For | Cato @ Liberty - Cato Institute - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty's John Malone sees HBO losing out in the streaming wars - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Count liberty among our blessings this Thanksgiving - cleveland.com - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty CEO sees Sirius well positioned in audio boom with exclusive content like Howard Stern - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty Securities Selects Broadridge to Simplify Post-Trade Processing for Hong Kong Equities and Derivatives - Bobsguide - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty defensive depth to be tested against UMass - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- The 'cautionary tale' of Liberty University - The College Fix - October 29th, 2019
- Phase 1 of new signage in Liberty completed - Times Herald-Record - October 29th, 2019
- Boyd Matheson: Liberty without morality and religious freedom is but window dressing - Deseret News - October 29th, 2019
- Rutgers Million-Dollar Guarantee To Liberty Proved To Be A Wise Investment - Forbes - October 29th, 2019
- Washington-Liberty QB Andrew Bolfek throws 6 TDs to win Player of the Week - WTOP - October 29th, 2019
- In the region: No. 6 UVa field hockey tops No. 17 Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- TSA: Man Tried To Bring Loaded Gun On Plane At Newark Liberty International Airport - CBS Pittsburgh - October 29th, 2019
- If You Had Bought One Liberty Properties (NYSE:OLP) Shares Five Years Ago Youd Have Made 23% - Simply Wall St - October 29th, 2019
- LTE: The Il-liberty of Protest - The Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Apartments in south Cape still set to open in April - Southeast Missourian - October 29th, 2019
- Intrepid Theatre returns with 'The Thousandth Night' at Liberty Station - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 29th, 2019
- Rutgers won its 2nd game this year by defeating Liberty | What did visiting recruits think? - NJ.com - October 29th, 2019
- Visit the Statue of Liberty, feel her unifying message | Opinion - NJ.com - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Opening Of 19th Florida Dispensary In Pensacola; Second Panhandle Location - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty adds UConn to 2020 football schedule, moves UVa game to 2023 - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 24th, 2019
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are not in US Constitution - Call Newspapers - October 24th, 2019
- British government notes 'deterioration' of religious liberty in several countries - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - October 24th, 2019
- What are the odds? Liberty twin has twin daughters born on his birthday - WDAF FOX4 Kansas City - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Development partnering with St. Clement Church in Lakewood to build Madison Avenue townhomes - cleveland.com - October 24th, 2019
- Falwell threatens to sue journalist behind explosive report, demands retraction - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 24th, 2019
- G Adventures and Liberty Travel Form Preferred Partnership - TravelPulse - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights Football is set to welcome the Liberty Flames to town -- B1G Football - Rivals.com - October 24th, 2019
- Her Immigrant Story: 'Mother Of Exiles' Documentary Reveals Statue Of Liberty's Little-Known History - Women You Should Know - October 24th, 2019
- Religious Liberty Leaders Emphasize Connecting With the Marginalized - Adventist Review - October 24th, 2019
- Is Liberty Property Trust (LPT) Going to Burn These Hedge Funds? - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Slavery and liberty: A new exhibit explores the Thomas Jefferson paradox - Archinect - October 24th, 2019
- Hate LAX? Why New York's Newark Liberty International Airport is a relative breeze - Stuff.co.nz - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Ranch FFA students show children where their food comes from - The Galt Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Trenton Catholic boys soccer earns share of BCSL Liberty crown - The Trentonian - October 24th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor Liberty or Tyranny | Letters To The Editor - Richfield Reaper - October 24th, 2019
- Former Liberty-Eylau coach accused of sexual misconduct with students - TXK Today - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Health Sciences Appoints George Gremse To The Board Of Directors - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- ZOM Senior Living, in a venture with Liberty Senior Living and funds managed by Ares Management Corporation's Real Estate Group, announces... - October 16th, 2019
- EAST LIBERTY DEVELOPMENT: Vote Wednesday could help clear way for controversial $50 million project in East Liberty - WPXI Pittsburgh - October 16th, 2019
- Take A Look! | Black Bear Spotted Swimming In Liberty Reservoir - CBS Baltimore - October 16th, 2019
- Religious Liberty, Nondiscrimination, and the Left - National Review - October 16th, 2019
- 'Citizens for Liberty and Labor' PAC drops another $40K against Woodward's campaign - KXLY Spokane - October 16th, 2019
- Liberty City and Brownville will not rise | Letters to the Editor - The Miami Times - October 16th, 2019