The Philadelphia 76ers ended 2019 in true Sixers fashion. Following an impressive Christmas Day win over the Milwaukee Bucks, the NBAs best team, the Sixers went on an uninspiring three-game losing streak. While issues on offense and late game execution have produced some problems, a lack of consistent engagement has hurt the Sixers as well.
Following the Sixers latest defeat, a rough 115-97 loss to the Indiana Pacers on New Years Eve, Josh Richardson expressed his thoughts on whats wrong.
I dont think there theres enough accountability in our locker room right now, honestly, Richardson said after the game, per Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer. I think that we got some new guys, who dont want to step on toes, including myself. I feel like we kind of go play and dont compete as much.
Theres been games that we have [competed], and its been great, Richardson added. But when its not going good, we got to hold each other accountable. I think thats where a lot of our problems start... Going forward, we got to talk to some people about it, and we got to do it. We talk about playing hard every day. We talk about, you know we break the huddle down with chip every day, and we got a long way to go before we actually start competing for that. I think our locker room has some growing to do.
Richardson isnt the only one to address the Sixers lack of engagement. Tobias Harris and Ben Simmons also talked about the team needing to rally and find consistency after the Pacers game, with Simmons mentioning effort as an issue after the last loss to Miami as well.
We were right there, said Simmons, per Ky Carlin of Sixers Wire. It starts in the first quarter. Weve got to carry the same energy all the way through. We cant wait for the last minute to pick it up.
Meanwhile, head coach Brett Brown sounded about as frustrated as hes ever been with his team following the latest loss to Orlando on December 27.
I dont even care about it, Brown said when asked about his thoughts on the Sixers late comeback to nearly steal a win, per NBC Sports Philadelphias Serena Winters. I really dont even care about it. I dont believe that we should have been in that position. And I think its hollow praise to go there. Im not going there. Its a physicality issue that we lost. And in fact, itll probably end up serving us well. Like it was a playoff-type of movement as far as the physical side of it. And I thought that we responded with a D-minus.
When questioned on the subject, Brown also admitted that its concerning that the Sixers play to the level of their opponent.
These comments are all fair. The Sixers have slipped to 8th in defensive rating largely due to spells of poor effort. And as simple as it may sound, theyve let some leads slip late in games due to taking their foot off the gas. With a dead average offense (currently ranked 15th), the Sixers need quality defense to carry them. Any lackadaisical play at that end of the floor is too costly when they dont have the offensive firepower or late-game execution to make up for slipping defensively.
The top of the Eastern Conference is close, as teams like the Celtics, Raptors and Heat have surpassed expectations to start the season. Games against weaker opposition cant be taken for granted. Home court advantage is important for everyone, especially a Sixers team that has played so differently at Wells Fargo Center. At home, the Sixers have a league-best 16-2 record (tied with Milwaukee) and rank 15th in offensive rating, 2nd in defensive rating, and 4th in net rating with an impressive mark of +9.7. On the road, their record is only 7-11 thanks to ranking 16th in offense and only 12th in defense. The result is a measly -1.8 net rating, which ranks just 12th.
That said, its important not to lose sight of the grand scheme of things. Of course, the Sixers still have offensive issues to correct and will always be limited there with the current roster. And yes, the short slump after Christmas is discouraging and highlights some of the teams season-long weaknesses. But it hasnt suddenly lowered their ceiling.
Theyre still an extremely talented team, they have a great defense whenever theyre locked in, and theyve performed well against the top teams in the East. The Sixers are 2-0 against Boston, 1-1 against Toronto, and just rolled past Milwaukee. Some of Philly's best basketball has come against elite opposition. Combined with their size, the difficult physical matchups they create for opponents, and defensive potential, this bodes well for the playoffs.
The sky isnt falling. Theres still a long way to go this regular season. Increased intensity on a more consistent basis and improved chemistry alone can help address the issues that Brett Brown and several of his players have talked about.
Next, the Sixers have to act accordingly. They just need these changes to start coming together sooner rather than later to maximize their chance of getting a top seed in the East. This team isnt good enough or proven enough to establish bad habits in the regular season and rely on flipping a switch when the time comes.
All statistics courtesy of NBA.com.
See the original post:
- Carnival Liberty | Deck Plans, Activities & Sailings ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty AV Solutions - Your Best Source for Pro AV ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty University to offer $1,000 credit to students who leave dorms by Saturday because of coronavirus - Richmond.com - March 31st, 2020
- Falwell says concerns about students returning to Liberty University are overblown - CNN - March 31st, 2020
- Two COVID-19 cases confirmed aboard Liberty of the Seas - Galveston County Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- KHS grad Robinson had found a spot on NCAA Tournament-bound Liberty - Kearney Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill has produced nearly 600 gallons of sanitizer for Williamson County first responders, community - Community Impact... - March 31st, 2020
- History's Headlines: The Liberty Bell stopped here - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty urged to help smaller F1 teams survive shutdown - RACER - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty - IMDb - March 26th, 2020
- Jerry Falwell, Liberty Universitys choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained - Vox.com - March 26th, 2020
- Thousands of Liberty students expected to return to campus amid coronavirus outbreak - Richmond.com - March 26th, 2020
- Central Virginia Health District performs surprise inspection at Liberty University as students return to campus - WFXRtv.com - March 26th, 2020
- Eyes that Gleam with Liberty Green - The Georgetown Voice - March 26th, 2020
- AP all-state: Libertys Maisie Burnham named girls 2B player of the year - The Spokesman-Review - March 26th, 2020
- The Passing of a Great Advocate of Liberty and Peace: Jon Basil Utley, RIP | Doug Bandow - Foundation for Economic Education - March 26th, 2020
- What is the cost of freedom and liberty in the era of coronavirus? | TheHill - The Hill - March 26th, 2020
- Liberty Twp. leaders, churches step up to help with grocery delivery - WKBN.com - March 26th, 2020
- Learjets Speedy New Business Jet Comes With Its Own Mini Executive Suite - Robb Report - March 26th, 2020
- Life, liberty ... and the fundamental right to birdie 17 at Shenny - theday.com - March 26th, 2020
- A look at the top paid athletic employees at Liberty - A Sea of Red - March 26th, 2020
- How West Chester, Liberty townships are reacting to coronavirus - Hamilton Journal News - March 26th, 2020
- Pressure on Liberty Media to protect UK F1 teams - Planet F1 - March 26th, 2020
- 'Extremely high' North Liberty man arrested after reporting captive in his basement - The Gazette - March 26th, 2020
- Selection of Sarah Makin-Acciani shows the commitment to religious liberty | TheHill - The Hill - March 26th, 2020
- Liberty London gives Crocs a luxury make-over: Shop the collaboration - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 16th, 2020
- Liberty coaches, athletes stunned and in disbelief following ASUN's cancellation of spring sports - Lynchburg News and Advance - March 16th, 2020
- Falwell: Liberty University will resume in-person classes after spring break - Lynchburg News and Advance - March 16th, 2020
- Crowning the best Liberty basketball team of all-time - A Sea of Red - March 16th, 2020
- McKay, Liberty agree to another multiyear contract extension - Lynchburg News and Advance - March 16th, 2020
- Several gunshots reported on west side of North Liberty - KCRG - March 16th, 2020
- Driver found in hit-and-run crash in Liberty - Bangor Daily News - March 16th, 2020
- Liberty Center for Youth in Batavia will close until further notice - The Daily News Online - March 16th, 2020
- Partners in Liberty: National Center for Public Policy Research - The Heartland Institute - March 16th, 2020
- Investors Who Bought One Liberty Properties (NYSE:OLP) Shares A Year Ago Are Now Down 35% - Simply Wall St - March 16th, 2020
- Liberty will jubilate with Sundance Head - Liberty Vindicator - March 16th, 2020
- Absolute Liberty (2003-2020) - United States Eventing Association - March 16th, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - January 5th, 2020
- Sale | Liberty London Sale | Liberty London - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty's defense stifles NJIT, 65-38 - WSET - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty boys basketball doesnt beat buzzer, but does beat Whitehall in OT - lehighvalleylive.com - January 5th, 2020
- New York Liberty to reveal new head coach on Wednesday morning - Elite Sports NY - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Selected by Uber to Cover Drivers in New England, South Carolina and Puerto Rico - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Women To Open New Year with Meets At Florida, FGCU - SwimSwam - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Vittert: Got a resolution for the New Year? Here's a statistician's advice on how to keep it - Fox Business - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Hill woman accused of beating that sent son to hospital - Austin American-Statesman - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty, Equality, and Identity - The Bulwark - January 5th, 2020
- This Week in Mid-Major: Liberty takes a page from UVa's playbook, Bryant's shot-swatter, the top 10 and more - The Athletic - January 5th, 2020
- YEAR END: Liberty County baseball coach and wife electrocuted, son injured at baseball field - The News Herald - January 5th, 2020
- Patriots hook up Navy Football with nice transportation to Liberty Bowl - 98.5 The Sports Hub - December 26th, 2019
- Stephen Calvert, Liberty Top Georgia Southern 23-16 to Win 2019 Cure Bowl - Bleacher Report - December 26th, 2019
- Donald Trump, Jerry Falwell Jr., and Liberty Universitys Football Vision - The Ringer - December 26th, 2019
- Akron faces Liberty in Washington - WVVA TV - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty Media Floated the Idea of Buying IndyCar Alongside its F1 Acquisition - Essentially Sports - December 26th, 2019
- Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 and 2 Pro true wireless buds are down to $60 and $110 ($40 off) - Android Police - December 26th, 2019
- Diventures' new 60-foot-pool in North Liberty is heated and ready for scuba divers in training - The Gazette - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty and the Birth of Jesus Go Hand in Hand - Liberty Nation - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty family seeks justice after 'targeted attack' of their dog in its own back yard - WYFF4 Greenville - December 26th, 2019
- 820 Liberty Avenue went from yow to wow creating four large lofts in an extensive renovation - NEXTpittsburgh - December 26th, 2019
- Kiggins, Liberty theaters strive for creativity - Columbian.com - The Columbian - December 26th, 2019
- Watch the parade for the 61st AutoZone Liberty Bowl on Local 24! - WATN - Local 24 - December 26th, 2019
- Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro review: The best-sounding earbuds of 2019 [Video] - 9to5Google - December 26th, 2019
- Dem Voters Caught Between the Geriatrics and Socialist Swampsters - Liberty Nation - December 26th, 2019
- Games to Watch This Weekend for Liberty's Bowl Hopes (11/26 edition) - A Sea of Red - November 27th, 2019
- Heather Stearns of Tallahassee, Florida, Has Recently Been Appointed President of LIBERTY Dental Plan of Florida, Inc. - Business Wire - November 27th, 2019
- PHOTOS: Umbrellas, Tables, and Seating Appear at Liberty Square... - wdwnt.com - November 27th, 2019
- Newark Liberty International Airport is Actually in Elizabeth, NJ- (County of Union) Now the Destination is Visible to Passengers - Yahoo Finance - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty vs. Morgan State odds: 2019 The Islands of the Bahamas Showcase picks, predictions from proven model - CBS Sports - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty defeats UMKC to win the Islands of the Bahamas Showcase - A Sea of Red - November 27th, 2019
- The Liberty Foundation Awards $422,000 to 18 Nonprofit Organizations | Business Gallery - The Weekly Journal - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty Science Center's Inaugural Genius of New Jersey to Honor Innovators Who Make the State a World Leader in Cutting-Edge Applied Science -... - November 27th, 2019
- Sixty minutes for 60 more: Liberty focuses on final chance to become bowl eligible - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 27th, 2019
- What to Be Thankful For | Cato @ Liberty - Cato Institute - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty's John Malone sees HBO losing out in the streaming wars - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Count liberty among our blessings this Thanksgiving - cleveland.com - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty CEO sees Sirius well positioned in audio boom with exclusive content like Howard Stern - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty Securities Selects Broadridge to Simplify Post-Trade Processing for Hong Kong Equities and Derivatives - Bobsguide - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty defensive depth to be tested against UMass - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- The 'cautionary tale' of Liberty University - The College Fix - October 29th, 2019
- Phase 1 of new signage in Liberty completed - Times Herald-Record - October 29th, 2019