The two largest townships in Butler County have locked their doors to the public but officials say business is still being conducted albeit not necessarily as usual.
Liberty Twp. locked its doors on Monday and about half the staff are working remotely, the rest are in the office on a weekly rotation. The administration center in West Chester Twp. was open on Tuesday because it was a polling place, but the doors were shut after the primary election was cancelled. All employees were still working, but officials said accommodations are being made for employees with special circumstances, like lack of daycare for their children.
West Chester Police Chief Joel Herzog said his officers are still patrolling the streets but are now all equipped with special suits to protect them. He said they are prepared for the worst.
RELATED: Butler County commissioners approve funds to help in coronavirus fight
If for some reason the illness starts hitting us we have a platoon deployment system we would implement, Herzog said. That will redirect employees from other areas of the department like detectives, traffic safety, community affairs and they would move out to uniform patrol, so even if we lost half our workforce we still would be able to maintain staffing.
He said they continue to take police reports from people but are doing more of that via phone versus face-to-face, when it is not urgent.
Residents and businesses can reach West Chester staff via phone and through the website. Spokeswoman Barb Wilson said public safety departments will postpone non-essential public appearances, community outreach, facility tours and the like. The township parks are open, restrooms at Beckett Park are available and Keehner Park restrooms will be opened mid-April as usual.
Liberty Twp. Trustee Board President Christine Matacic said the township made the decision to isolate its staff late last week but all of their decisions are ongoing because the crisis keeps changing so rapidly.
Once reality hit last week with having the virus here in Butler County it made it even more urgent for us to start taking action, Matacic said.
The Parks Committee and Zoning Commission meetings that were scheduled for March 16 were cancelled. The trustees limited attendance at their meeting Tuesday to the elected officials and Administrator Kristen Bitonte, all the other key staffers who usually attend were kept away. All other meetings for township staff are being held via phone or postponed. The parks are open but restrooms locked.
Matacic said the fire department and sheriffs deputies were operating as close to normal as possible.
They have to respond but they also have to take precautions in their responses, Matacic said. They are on the front line with our residents and with our businesses, I dont think any of us are operating normally right now.
Matacic said as far as protective supplies for first responders go the township is well equipped for the short term. However, she cautioned that everyone should heed the governors and health officials warning to stay home and stop the spread.
We have to take this very, very seriously. Its going to be day by day, hour by hour, things will change in how we approach things, she said. We have to be on top of it all and be sure we are doing everything we can to protect our residents.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.
Here is the original post:
- Why is Liberty missing the excitement? - Coastal Courier - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty man reunited with two men who helped save his life after heart attack - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Defensive lineman ready to make big impression at Liberty - The Cross Timbers Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: 12th annual Freedom Conference was victory for liberty - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- HEQ: Liberty President on Growing the Reverse Mortgage Business by Expanding Distribution - Reverse Mortgage Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reader says our liberty has been taken away - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 2nd, 2020
- Bonner leads Sun to important 70-65 win over Liberty - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Gazette area volleyball Super 10: Xavier, Liberty climb to Nos. 2 and 3 - The Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- One man dead, another arrested following shooting in Liberty Township - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- I want the people of God to enjoy liberty: Pastor at Maine super-spreader wedding gives defiant indoor sermon - The Boston Globe - September 2nd, 2020
- At Liberty, 30 students and staff have tested positive for coronavirus - Lynchburg News and Advance - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Springfield aims to be citys 1st recreational marijuana shop - MassLive.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- Tuesday briefing: Britons flee Brexit by the thousands - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utilities nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 2nd, 2020
- OPINION: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - Standard-Times - August 2nd, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Universal health care is essential to liberty - Press Herald - August 2nd, 2020
- UPDATE: Package Recovered - Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Has Liberty Oilfield Services Inc.'s (NYSE:LBRT) Impressive Stock Performance Got Anything to Do With Its Fundamentals? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- North Liberty urges residents to wear face masks, calls on businesses to adopt mask policies - The Gazette - July 29th, 2020
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Liberty Broadband Corporation (NASDAQ:LBRD.K)? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Serene Two-Bed Condo with Sunny Terrace is Entertainer's Dream, Liberty Terrace, DTJC - Jersey Digs - July 29th, 2020
- Liberty University won't require COVID-19 test for returning students this fall - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 29th, 2020
- W.N.B.A. Preview: With Sabrina Ionescu, the Liberty Hit Refresh - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- Reflecting on Liberty Global's (NASDAQ:LBTY.A) Share Price Returns Over The Last Five Years - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Financial Insights and Technical Data on The Liberty Braves Group (BATRA) - Invest Million - July 29th, 2020
- Mostly Outdoor Restaurant and Bar Arrives in Liberty Station - Eater San Diego - July 29th, 2020
- Game 2: Liberty look for their first win of the new season against Dallas - NetsDaily - July 29th, 2020
- The Presley and other restaurants opening at Liberty Station - New restaurants like The Presley and others are opening throughout Liberty Station.... - July 29th, 2020
- Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - July 28th, 2020
- Why Will Spark The Next Run With The Liberty Braves Group (BATRK) Shares? - Invest Million - July 28th, 2020
- Liberty Twp. gets grant to extend walking and biking path - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 28th, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Statue of Liberty repeatedly struck by lightning - KSL.com - July 28th, 2020
- NASA: Asteroid Bigger Than Statue Of Liberty To Fly Safely Past Earth - International Business Times - July 28th, 2020
- Rumor: GTA 6 Set in Vice City, GTA Online Heading to Remastered Liberty City Later This Year - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2020
- Improvements coming to 18 Liberty Twp. roads this year - WKBN.com - July 28th, 2020