If you're among the Kiwi travellers who actively avoid flying into LAX, it might come as a relief that Air New Zealand is scrapping Los Angeles-London flights in favour of a new service from Auckland toNew York's Newark Liberty International Airport.
Like all major US international airports, Newark (EWR) gets pretty hectic at times, but it's less busy than Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), which was named the fourth busiest passenger airport in the world in 2018 in Airports Council International's recently released world traffic report. More than 87.5 million passengers flew though LAX in 2018, according to the report, while 46 million passed through Newark, making it the eleventh busiest airport in the US.
Located 15 miles (24 kilometres) southwest of Midtown Manhattan, Newark is the second most central of the threeairports serving the New York metropolitan area.LaGuardia, in Queens, is closer, but tends to get a worse rap in terms of facilities and wait times. JFK International, the busiest airport of the three, is slightly further from Midtown Manhattan.
Just across the Hudson from Manhattan, Newark airport is a 30-minute monorail ride from Penn Station.
Opened in 1928, Newark lays claim to multiple airport firsts, including the first paved runway, the first airport weather stationandthe first air traffic control tower in the United States. Like LaGuardia and JFK, it's undergoing major redevelopment andupgrades. These include replacing outmoded Terminal A with the three-concourse, 33-gate Terminal One, a project expected to be completed in 2021.
READ MORE:*Air NZ axes LA-London route*Air New Zealand releases details of new New York flights* Airport review: LAX - Tom Bradley International Terminal, Los Angeles, US* Insider tip: A survivor's guide to LAX* Guide to the world's best and worst airports
Terminal A is one of three terminals at Newark, the others beingTerminal B and Terminal C. United Airlines, with which Air New Zealand has a partnership, occupies all of Terminal C, but operates some flights out of terminals B and C as well.
Passengers can travel between terminals and to the Airport Station, which connects Newark with New Jersey and Amtrak trains,on the AirTrainmonorail, which operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is free to ride within the airport.
JARRED WILLIAMSON / FAIRFAX NZ
Air New Zealand's New York service will replace its Los Angeles-London route from October 2020.
Free wi-fi and charging stations are available in all three terminals, along with parent rooms and pet relief areas. There are a decent number of dining options and passengers can use the AtYourGateapp to have meals delivered anywhere in Terminals A and B and in the pre-security are of Terminal C.
Terminal C, which re-opened in 2017 after a US$120 million redesign, is the flashest of the three terminals at present.
David Rockwell, the man behind the bulk of the terminal's dining venues, described them as "part Get Smart, part James Bond, and part theatre technology", telling Bloomberg he also drew inspiration fromNew York's Madison Square Park and European town squares.
Newark Liberty International s the eleventh busiest airport in the US.
The three-concourse, 68-gateterminalhas by far the best choice of the three terminals in terms of dining and shopping - Bloomberg went so far as to call it a "foodie theme park".
The more than 50 dining options range from a gourmet market and Global Bazaar to casual eateries with grab-and-go-options and sit-down restaurants helmed by celebrity chefs serving up everything from gourmet burgersand barbecue to authentic ramen, tacos, dumplings and Italian meatballs. Sliding walls and rotating signage enable venues to change as the day progresses.Even the casual cafes have iPad ordering stations, where you can both request and pay for meals.
If you're thirsty, head to Caps Brewery, which serves up more than 50 local and international brews,Oneo Wine Bar, Proof Whiskey Bar or Tacquila, where you can choose from more than 200 types of tequila.
If that's not enough to relax you or you have an extralong layover, you might want to check out the eco-friendly Departure Spa, where services includemanicures, pedicures, massages, facials and haircuts.
Given the partnership between the two airlines, it's possible that qualifying Air New Zealand passengers may be able to use the United lounges at the airport. The Polaris lounge is particularly well-equppied, with daybeds, a table-service dining area and rainfall shower suites.
Getting to and from the airport
The cheapest way to get to and from Newark is to take the AirTrain monorail, which connects passengers with NJ TRANSIT, PATH and Amtrak services at Newark Liberty International Airport Station. Ittakes about 30 minutes to get to Pennsylvania (Penn) Station in Manhattan, which connects to the New York City subway system.
Taxis, ride-share services such as Uber, an express bus and car hire are also available.
Many of the hotels within the vicinity of the airport, such as the Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, offer free shuttle services.
432 PARK AVENUE
You can catch public transport or a taxi or ride-share service from Newark to Manhattan.
Air NZ's planned service to New York
Air New Zealand is set to launch a new service from Auckland to Newark Liberty International Airport from October 29, 2020.
The national carrier will fly the new route three times a week year-round under its flagship NZ1 southbound and NZ2 northbound flight numbers.
The New York service replaces the Los-Angles-London route, set to end in October 2020.
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - January 5th, 2020
- Sale | Liberty London Sale | Liberty London - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty's defense stifles NJIT, 65-38 - WSET - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty boys basketball doesnt beat buzzer, but does beat Whitehall in OT - lehighvalleylive.com - January 5th, 2020
- New York Liberty to reveal new head coach on Wednesday morning - Elite Sports NY - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Selected by Uber to Cover Drivers in New England, South Carolina and Puerto Rico - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Women To Open New Year with Meets At Florida, FGCU - SwimSwam - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Vittert: Got a resolution for the New Year? Here's a statistician's advice on how to keep it - Fox Business - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Hill woman accused of beating that sent son to hospital - Austin American-Statesman - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty, Equality, and Identity - The Bulwark - January 5th, 2020
- Josh Richardson and others are right to call out Sixers' effort - Liberty Ballers - January 5th, 2020
- This Week in Mid-Major: Liberty takes a page from UVa's playbook, Bryant's shot-swatter, the top 10 and more - The Athletic - January 5th, 2020
- YEAR END: Liberty County baseball coach and wife electrocuted, son injured at baseball field - The News Herald - January 5th, 2020
- Patriots hook up Navy Football with nice transportation to Liberty Bowl - 98.5 The Sports Hub - December 26th, 2019
- Stephen Calvert, Liberty Top Georgia Southern 23-16 to Win 2019 Cure Bowl - Bleacher Report - December 26th, 2019
- Donald Trump, Jerry Falwell Jr., and Liberty Universitys Football Vision - The Ringer - December 26th, 2019
- Akron faces Liberty in Washington - WVVA TV - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty Media Floated the Idea of Buying IndyCar Alongside its F1 Acquisition - Essentially Sports - December 26th, 2019
- Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 and 2 Pro true wireless buds are down to $60 and $110 ($40 off) - Android Police - December 26th, 2019
- Diventures' new 60-foot-pool in North Liberty is heated and ready for scuba divers in training - The Gazette - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty and the Birth of Jesus Go Hand in Hand - Liberty Nation - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty family seeks justice after 'targeted attack' of their dog in its own back yard - WYFF4 Greenville - December 26th, 2019
- 820 Liberty Avenue went from yow to wow creating four large lofts in an extensive renovation - NEXTpittsburgh - December 26th, 2019
- Kiggins, Liberty theaters strive for creativity - Columbian.com - The Columbian - December 26th, 2019
- Watch the parade for the 61st AutoZone Liberty Bowl on Local 24! - WATN - Local 24 - December 26th, 2019
- Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro review: The best-sounding earbuds of 2019 [Video] - 9to5Google - December 26th, 2019
- Dem Voters Caught Between the Geriatrics and Socialist Swampsters - Liberty Nation - December 26th, 2019
- Games to Watch This Weekend for Liberty's Bowl Hopes (11/26 edition) - A Sea of Red - November 27th, 2019
- Heather Stearns of Tallahassee, Florida, Has Recently Been Appointed President of LIBERTY Dental Plan of Florida, Inc. - Business Wire - November 27th, 2019
- PHOTOS: Umbrellas, Tables, and Seating Appear at Liberty Square... - wdwnt.com - November 27th, 2019
- Newark Liberty International Airport is Actually in Elizabeth, NJ- (County of Union) Now the Destination is Visible to Passengers - Yahoo Finance - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty vs. Morgan State odds: 2019 The Islands of the Bahamas Showcase picks, predictions from proven model - CBS Sports - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty defeats UMKC to win the Islands of the Bahamas Showcase - A Sea of Red - November 27th, 2019
- The Liberty Foundation Awards $422,000 to 18 Nonprofit Organizations | Business Gallery - The Weekly Journal - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty Science Center's Inaugural Genius of New Jersey to Honor Innovators Who Make the State a World Leader in Cutting-Edge Applied Science -... - November 27th, 2019
- Sixty minutes for 60 more: Liberty focuses on final chance to become bowl eligible - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 27th, 2019
- What to Be Thankful For | Cato @ Liberty - Cato Institute - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty's John Malone sees HBO losing out in the streaming wars - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Count liberty among our blessings this Thanksgiving - cleveland.com - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty CEO sees Sirius well positioned in audio boom with exclusive content like Howard Stern - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty Securities Selects Broadridge to Simplify Post-Trade Processing for Hong Kong Equities and Derivatives - Bobsguide - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty defensive depth to be tested against UMass - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- The 'cautionary tale' of Liberty University - The College Fix - October 29th, 2019
- Phase 1 of new signage in Liberty completed - Times Herald-Record - October 29th, 2019
- Boyd Matheson: Liberty without morality and religious freedom is but window dressing - Deseret News - October 29th, 2019
- Rutgers Million-Dollar Guarantee To Liberty Proved To Be A Wise Investment - Forbes - October 29th, 2019
- Washington-Liberty QB Andrew Bolfek throws 6 TDs to win Player of the Week - WTOP - October 29th, 2019
- In the region: No. 6 UVa field hockey tops No. 17 Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- TSA: Man Tried To Bring Loaded Gun On Plane At Newark Liberty International Airport - CBS Pittsburgh - October 29th, 2019
- If You Had Bought One Liberty Properties (NYSE:OLP) Shares Five Years Ago Youd Have Made 23% - Simply Wall St - October 29th, 2019
- LTE: The Il-liberty of Protest - The Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Apartments in south Cape still set to open in April - Southeast Missourian - October 29th, 2019
- Intrepid Theatre returns with 'The Thousandth Night' at Liberty Station - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 29th, 2019
- Rutgers won its 2nd game this year by defeating Liberty | What did visiting recruits think? - NJ.com - October 29th, 2019
- Visit the Statue of Liberty, feel her unifying message | Opinion - NJ.com - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Opening Of 19th Florida Dispensary In Pensacola; Second Panhandle Location - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty adds UConn to 2020 football schedule, moves UVa game to 2023 - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 24th, 2019
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are not in US Constitution - Call Newspapers - October 24th, 2019
- British government notes 'deterioration' of religious liberty in several countries - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - October 24th, 2019
- What are the odds? Liberty twin has twin daughters born on his birthday - WDAF FOX4 Kansas City - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Development partnering with St. Clement Church in Lakewood to build Madison Avenue townhomes - cleveland.com - October 24th, 2019
- Falwell threatens to sue journalist behind explosive report, demands retraction - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 24th, 2019
- G Adventures and Liberty Travel Form Preferred Partnership - TravelPulse - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights Football is set to welcome the Liberty Flames to town -- B1G Football - Rivals.com - October 24th, 2019
- Her Immigrant Story: 'Mother Of Exiles' Documentary Reveals Statue Of Liberty's Little-Known History - Women You Should Know - October 24th, 2019
- Religious Liberty Leaders Emphasize Connecting With the Marginalized - Adventist Review - October 24th, 2019
- Is Liberty Property Trust (LPT) Going to Burn These Hedge Funds? - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Slavery and liberty: A new exhibit explores the Thomas Jefferson paradox - Archinect - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Ranch FFA students show children where their food comes from - The Galt Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Trenton Catholic boys soccer earns share of BCSL Liberty crown - The Trentonian - October 24th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor Liberty or Tyranny | Letters To The Editor - Richfield Reaper - October 24th, 2019
- Former Liberty-Eylau coach accused of sexual misconduct with students - TXK Today - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Health Sciences Appoints George Gremse To The Board Of Directors - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- ZOM Senior Living, in a venture with Liberty Senior Living and funds managed by Ares Management Corporation's Real Estate Group, announces... - October 16th, 2019
- EAST LIBERTY DEVELOPMENT: Vote Wednesday could help clear way for controversial $50 million project in East Liberty - WPXI Pittsburgh - October 16th, 2019
- Take A Look! | Black Bear Spotted Swimming In Liberty Reservoir - CBS Baltimore - October 16th, 2019
- Religious Liberty, Nondiscrimination, and the Left - National Review - October 16th, 2019
- 'Citizens for Liberty and Labor' PAC drops another $40K against Woodward's campaign - KXLY Spokane - October 16th, 2019
- Kelvin Edwards honored to have his jersey retired at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 16th, 2019
- Liberty City and Brownville will not rise | Letters to the Editor - The Miami Times - October 16th, 2019