The Arizona Repertory Theatres first show of the season, The Legend of Georgia McBride, puts their actors in drag over-the-top costumes, makeup looks and wigs.
It is more so in your face than anything I have ever experienced, said Rachel Wilkins, one of the wardrobe heads for the show.
The show tells the story of Casey, played by University of Arizona student Dylan Cotter. When Casey loses his job as an Elvis impersonator, he turns to the drag scene in order to provide for his wife and the child he has on the way.
With a lot of pressures mounting up on him, he eventually turns to the unlikely world of drag and drag queens to help solve his problems, Cotter said. He finds a little bit more than just financial security in these people.
RELATED: Meet Patrick Holt, the UA professor behind Tempest DuJour
For Cotter, this was the first time he had ever come into contact with drag. While drag didnt pique his interest prior to the play, he said he was able to learn about the history behind drag and had a fun time representing the community.
I never really had interest in it or knew what it was, Cotter said. As soon as I got cast in the play and we started prepping for the show, I became more and more familiar with the world of drag and the culture of drag. The history was like an entirely new universe that I never heard. It was a really great time.
Similar to Cotter, Naphtali Curry, who plays a character named Tracy, had also never been in drag. In the past, Curry had to wear makeup in order to portray a scary ghost face, but he had never done makeup that portrayed beauty.
When I did Addams Family here, we had to wear, like, ghostly, ancestry makeup, Curry said. We still had contour and things like that but it wasnt like giving face contour, more so just making us look older and ghost-like.
According to Wilkins, co-director Patrick Holt went over the makeup basics with the actors. Holt is an associate professor at the UA School of Theatre, Film & Television and a prominent drag queen. He taught everyone how he wanted it to look and perfected it along the way, allowing the actors to do their own makeup for the show.
Wilkins said they all look so great when they are transformed into their characters.
It was hard, Ive never done it before, Curry said. You dont want it to look spotty, so that was my biggest challenge, just making sure everything blends. I learned it pretty quickly. From starting it to doing it by myself, it took me about a week to really solidify this is how it goes and it will look like this every time.
When it came to costumes, the bigger the better. Wilkins said Holt designed the costumes with the help of theatre production student Shaelyn Ellershaw. Wilkins and the rest of the wardrobe department made the costumes that couldnt be bought, such as the Tina Turner dress and Elvis jumpsuits.
As you can imagine, Patrick having that field of knowledge already led to the most amazing kind of spectacular costumes, from beautifully embroidered dresses that give a callback to the Elvis and 50s theme of the show, to ridiculous and over the top bikini leotards, Cotter said. You get the full range of really nicely done stuff and stuff that will make you laugh as soon as you see it.
Curry said the bold wardrobe in the show included the biggest costumes he has ever had to wear, and he has to make eight costume changes throughout the show.
In other shows that I have done, its like pants, shirt, youre good, and this time, Im having to do the most costume changes Ive ever had during a show, Curry said.
RELATED: Tucson Pride celebrates community for 42nd year
Despite having three back-to-back costume changes, Curry said that he is blessed to have some time in between. Cotter, on the other hand, has to change from woman to man in the matter of seconds.
We have two wardrobe people on Dylan because he has so many changes, Wilkins said. The longest change that he has is in between scenes. When he runs off, we have 15 seconds or less to literally get him out of a woman and into a man or get him out of man into all woman.
Wilkins said they were able to work on a routine and figure out what works best when it comes to the fast wardrobe changes. She said they can probably do it with their eyes closed now.
In addition to the crazy costumes and makeup, Cotter said the show is sure to make you fall from your seat laughing.
Aside from the fact that youre going to have nonstop laughter for an hour and a half, the show is really funny and hilarious, Cotter said. Youre going to see everything in the world of drag from every perspective.
If youre interested in learning more about the show, you can visit them at theatre.arizona.edu.
Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter
See original here:
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020
- Rallying for the 'freedom and liberty to work' - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 24th, 2020
- Is One Liberty Properties, Inc.'s (NYSE:OLP) ROE Of 6.4% Impressive? - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Liberty end up with 4 of top 12 picks after draft-night deals - ESPN - April 24th, 2020
- Yes, government can restrict your liberty to protect public health - Los Angeles Times - April 24th, 2020
- Carnival Liberty | Deck Plans, Activities & Sailings ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty AV Solutions - Your Best Source for Pro AV ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty University to offer $1,000 credit to students who leave dorms by Saturday because of coronavirus - Richmond.com - March 31st, 2020
- Falwell says concerns about students returning to Liberty University are overblown - CNN - March 31st, 2020
- Two COVID-19 cases confirmed aboard Liberty of the Seas - Galveston County Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- KHS grad Robinson had found a spot on NCAA Tournament-bound Liberty - Kearney Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill has produced nearly 600 gallons of sanitizer for Williamson County first responders, community - Community Impact... - March 31st, 2020
- History's Headlines: The Liberty Bell stopped here - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty urged to help smaller F1 teams survive shutdown - RACER - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty - IMDb - March 26th, 2020
- Jerry Falwell, Liberty Universitys choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained - Vox.com - March 26th, 2020