LEICESTER, United Kingdom Religious freedom has deteriorated in several countries during the first half of 2019, according to a statement published Oct. 22 by the British Foreign Office.
The relatively short statement was a follow up to the 2018 Human Rights and Democracy Report published by the British government in June. The statement gave an updated assessment of the 30 priority countries in which the Foreign Office had noted particular concern about human rights issues, and felt the UK can make a real difference.
The 30 human rights priority countries are: Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Burundi, Central African Republic, China, Colombia, North Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Libya, Maldives, Myanmar, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Yemen and Zimbabwe.
Although the report encompassed the entirety of human rights concerns, it particularly pointed out instances of religious persecution, harassment, and discrimination in several countries.
The statement said the overall human rights situation in Pakistan continues to deteriorate, with religious minorities suffering in particular.
The situation for religious minorities continues to be very challenging and deeply concerning, with widespread intolerance, violence, and discrimination, including against Christians, Ahmadis, Hindus, and Shias, the report says.
There have been some positive developments, notably the Supreme Courts January judgement upholding the acquittal of Asia Bibi of blasphemy. This was a welcome positive step, as was the issuing of thousands of visas to Indian Sikhs, allowing them to make the sacred pilgrimage journey to Pakistan following the opening of the India/Pakistan Kartarpur Corridor at the end of last year, it continued.
The statement noted that in Sudan, while restrictions on Christian school opening days were dropped in January, there are ongoing challenges to Freedom of Religion or Belief, including public order and guardianship laws, which have a disproportionate effect on Christian women.
The Foreign Office also expressed concern about growing restrictions on freedom of religion or belief in China, including reports that authorities are tightening control over how certain religions are practiced.
It also said there was no improvement in the dire human rights situation in North Korea, which is at the top of Open Doors annual ranking of the 50 countries where Christians experience extreme persecution and top of the Global Slavery Index, noting the regime continues to exercise total control over freedom of expression and Freedom of Religion or Belief.
The statement also highlighted restrictions on religious freedom in Russia, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Yemen, and Libya.
However, the Foreign Office noted improvement in a few countries.
Freedom of Religion or Belief in Bahrain is legally protected in society. Although there is more to be done, EU Special Envoy Jan Figel earlier this year observed that religions are not just tolerated but readily accepted by Bahraini society, the report says.
It also said modest progress is continuing to be made on religious freedom in Egypt, pointing out President Abdel Fattah Sisi inaugurated the largest cathedral in the Middle East on Jan. 6, and the continued progress on licensing church buildings under Egypts Church Building Law.
The British government has stepped up its engagement on the issue of international liberty, and 2018 saw the creation of the post of Prime Ministers Special Envoy on Freedom of Religion or Belief.
In December, the Foreign Office announced it would sponsor a report on Christian persecution around the world, which was published this summer.
Follow Charles Collins on Twitter: @CharlesinRome
Crux is dedicated to smart, wired and independent reporting on the Vatican and worldwide Catholic Church. That kind of reporting doesnt come cheap, and we need your support. You can help Crux by giving a small amount monthly, or with a onetime gift. Please remember, Crux is a for-profit organization, so contributions are not tax-deductible.
See the article here:
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020
- Rallying for the 'freedom and liberty to work' - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 24th, 2020
- Is One Liberty Properties, Inc.'s (NYSE:OLP) ROE Of 6.4% Impressive? - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Liberty end up with 4 of top 12 picks after draft-night deals - ESPN - April 24th, 2020
- Yes, government can restrict your liberty to protect public health - Los Angeles Times - April 24th, 2020
- Carnival Liberty | Deck Plans, Activities & Sailings ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty AV Solutions - Your Best Source for Pro AV ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty University to offer $1,000 credit to students who leave dorms by Saturday because of coronavirus - Richmond.com - March 31st, 2020
- Falwell says concerns about students returning to Liberty University are overblown - CNN - March 31st, 2020
- Two COVID-19 cases confirmed aboard Liberty of the Seas - Galveston County Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- KHS grad Robinson had found a spot on NCAA Tournament-bound Liberty - Kearney Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill has produced nearly 600 gallons of sanitizer for Williamson County first responders, community - Community Impact... - March 31st, 2020
- History's Headlines: The Liberty Bell stopped here - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty urged to help smaller F1 teams survive shutdown - RACER - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty - IMDb - March 26th, 2020
- Jerry Falwell, Liberty Universitys choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained - Vox.com - March 26th, 2020