In his first inaugural address in 1789, George Washington said he hoped that the foundations of our national policy will be laid in the pure and immutable principles of private morality. John Adams added, It is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand. In a letter to the Massachusetts Militia, Adams also added, Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People.
Washington and Adams were in essence saying that without religious freedom and absent public morality, the freedoms framed in the Constitution were merely window dressing.
Both Washington and Adams invoked the Latin phrase sine qua non without which (there is) nothing, connecting the essential nature of religious liberty and public morality to freedom and the American Constitution.
Through the years, and with increasing blunt force and brute strength, the secular world has attempted to attack and dislodge religion and morality from the public square. Governments around the world, including in the U.S., have altered, limited and targeted religious liberty and religious institutions.
But on Oct. 23 at the University of Oxford, Elder Quentin L. Cook, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, delivered a landmark address titled, The Impact of Religious Freedom on Public Morality.
A speech delivered by a world religious leader on religious freedom and public morality may seem unremarkable. His remarks, however, created a perfectly fitted frame around the principles required for the light of liberty to burn brightly and provided a window through which to look at the world today and the critical criteria necessary for true freedom to endure.
Following in the footsteps of Washington, Adams and others, Elder Cook stated, Freedom to believe in private and to exercise belief and speech in the public square are essential to protecting unalienable rights.
Elder Cook went on to declare, I am equally concerned that the foundations which have historically supported faith, accountability to God, and the religious impulse are increasingly being marginalized in a secular world and derided and even banished from the public square.
He also detailed how religious liberty has been established as part of essential human rights through the ages.
Elder Cook made a compelling case that the sine qua non of religious liberty and public morality were the foundation from which one of his personal heroes, William Wilberforce, launched his pursuit to abolish slavery in Great Britain. Without the protections of religious liberty and the power of public morality, Wilberforces crusade against slavery would have been snuffed out before it ever sparked the flame of justice and human dignity. The long, arduous battle for the emancipation of slaves in the British Isles was eventually victorious.
Providentially, the flame of freedom for slaves rose as the light in the life of Wilberforce flickered. Emancipation was proclaimed one week before Wilberforce died. Elder Cook noted that many of the great breakthroughs and advancements in history began with a person of faith entering the public square to make a moral stand.
Another religious leader, Rabbi Dr. Meir Y. Soloveichik, regularly speaks to the need for faith to be taken into the public square. He remarked, When the state demands disloyalty to ones faith as the price for entering society, that is an assault on the human soul, and that is intolerable, because the soul of man is the candle of God.
Rabbi Soloveichik continued, The soul of man is the candle of God. It is a powerful and enduring image. The human soul is a candle kindled by the Creator. Like a candles flame, the souls sanctity is so easily extinguished when buffeted by the winds of change, by the zeitgeist, by social pressure or by persecution. And yet like a flame, the soul, if protected, if sustained, if fueled by freedom, by faith, by courage, contains within it an infinite amount of power that can spark and inspire.
He then concluded, Originally, until recent times and in Jerusalem today, Hanukkah lights were kindled not inside but outside the door of Jewish homes, right outside the door. Lighting candles outside the doors of our homes expresses that when people of faith leave their homes and enter the world, they take their beliefs and their religious identity with them. They do not check their beliefs at the door when they enter the public square. Their souls, the candle within each person, illuminates their path wherever they may lead.
What we bring to the public square as individuals is so much more than our physical presence. We should be bringing our whole, authentic self to work and to our communities that includes our religious beliefs. Leaving our deeply held beliefs at home, in the mosque, synagogue or church is to leave a portion of self behind and accept a smaller portion of the illuminating light that emanates from the soul of every man and every woman.
As the capstone to a life of service and sacrifice to the nation, Washington chose to include in his farewell address this counsel: Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
American liberty and a constitutional republic are but window dressing to human flourishing without what Founding Fathers like Washington and Adams, along with todays world religious leaders like Elder Cook and Rabbi Soloveichik, have declared. Religious freedom and public morality are indeed the sine qua non of liberty. If America is going to remain a beacon of hope and freedom, every leader and every citizen must live within their shared public morality and seek to secure the religious freedom required to promote and defend it.
Follow this link:
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020
- Rallying for the 'freedom and liberty to work' - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 24th, 2020
- Is One Liberty Properties, Inc.'s (NYSE:OLP) ROE Of 6.4% Impressive? - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Liberty end up with 4 of top 12 picks after draft-night deals - ESPN - April 24th, 2020
- Yes, government can restrict your liberty to protect public health - Los Angeles Times - April 24th, 2020
- Carnival Liberty | Deck Plans, Activities & Sailings ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty AV Solutions - Your Best Source for Pro AV ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty University to offer $1,000 credit to students who leave dorms by Saturday because of coronavirus - Richmond.com - March 31st, 2020
- Falwell says concerns about students returning to Liberty University are overblown - CNN - March 31st, 2020
- Two COVID-19 cases confirmed aboard Liberty of the Seas - Galveston County Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- KHS grad Robinson had found a spot on NCAA Tournament-bound Liberty - Kearney Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill has produced nearly 600 gallons of sanitizer for Williamson County first responders, community - Community Impact... - March 31st, 2020
- History's Headlines: The Liberty Bell stopped here - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty urged to help smaller F1 teams survive shutdown - RACER - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty - IMDb - March 26th, 2020
- Jerry Falwell, Liberty Universitys choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained - Vox.com - March 26th, 2020
- Thousands of Liberty students expected to return to campus amid coronavirus outbreak - Richmond.com - March 26th, 2020
- Central Virginia Health District performs surprise inspection at Liberty University as students return to campus - WFXRtv.com - March 26th, 2020
- Eyes that Gleam with Liberty Green - The Georgetown Voice - March 26th, 2020
- AP all-state: Libertys Maisie Burnham named girls 2B player of the year - The Spokesman-Review - March 26th, 2020
- The Passing of a Great Advocate of Liberty and Peace: Jon Basil Utley, RIP | Doug Bandow - Foundation for Economic Education - March 26th, 2020
- What is the cost of freedom and liberty in the era of coronavirus? | TheHill - The Hill - March 26th, 2020
- Liberty Twp. leaders, churches step up to help with grocery delivery - WKBN.com - March 26th, 2020
- Learjets Speedy New Business Jet Comes With Its Own Mini Executive Suite - Robb Report - March 26th, 2020
- Life, liberty ... and the fundamental right to birdie 17 at Shenny - theday.com - March 26th, 2020
- A look at the top paid athletic employees at Liberty - A Sea of Red - March 26th, 2020
- How West Chester, Liberty townships are reacting to coronavirus - Hamilton Journal News - March 26th, 2020
- Pressure on Liberty Media to protect UK F1 teams - Planet F1 - March 26th, 2020
- 'Extremely high' North Liberty man arrested after reporting captive in his basement - The Gazette - March 26th, 2020
- Selection of Sarah Makin-Acciani shows the commitment to religious liberty | TheHill - The Hill - March 26th, 2020
- Liberty London gives Crocs a luxury make-over: Shop the collaboration - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 16th, 2020
- Liberty coaches, athletes stunned and in disbelief following ASUN's cancellation of spring sports - Lynchburg News and Advance - March 16th, 2020
- Falwell: Liberty University will resume in-person classes after spring break - Lynchburg News and Advance - March 16th, 2020
- Crowning the best Liberty basketball team of all-time - A Sea of Red - March 16th, 2020