While the two owners of a now gorgeous building Downtown designed its renovation with the market in mind, they may both end up moving in.
Harris Jones, of Swallow Point Ventures, and Bill Krahe, of Grand View Development Co., have been renovating the building at 820 Liberty Ave. into four expansive and high-ceilinged lofts. Each encompasses an entire floor with about 3,000 square feet of living space, private elevator access and reserved parking in the Smithfield-Liberty Garage next door.
Each loft at 820 Liberty features expansive windows overlooking Liberty Avenue. The Northern exposure allows for lots of light without direct sunlight entering.
Theyve spent three years of planning and investment after buying the building from the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust for $451,000. While thats very low for its size and location, the building was covered in brown paint and the upper floors had been abandoned for 40 years. Jones said they werent sure what they would find as they started to renovate and they poured a lot of money into it.
Theyll market the rental units to prospective tenants starting in January although one is already committed and another is reserved for Krahe, who is moving from East Liberty. Jones says he would like to move in eventually as well. The units will rent for $7,000 a month. While that price seems high for Downtown, he says the comps justify it. There are few three-bedroom units Downtown one of the few has been renting for $6,000 a month for years, he notes and he says the lofts are unique in their layout and design.
Harris Jones in the kitchen area of a unit still under construction.
Theres nothing like it, says Krahe. Its one of the coolest spaces in Pittsburgh.
Krahe, who has developed automobile dealerships for Rob Cochran, noticed the building one day while touring another property across the street. 820 Liberty Avenue previously housed the Pittsburgh Popcorn Company on the first floor. Krahe and Jones, who spent 20 years in the wireless telecom industry, agreed to be partners in its transformation.
We are big believers in the macro trend of the re-urbanization of America, says Jones, who spent 10 years in London before moving to Pittsburgh in 2010. He has also lived in Philadelphia and Boston. I grew up in the 60s and 70s when the American population was moving quickly to the suburbs and I believe, we believe, that has shifted. Pittsburgh is a touch late to that trend, but it seems to be accelerating now.
Before the renovation, the historic building was covered in brown paint and the four upper floors had been vacant for decades.
What made the building really special for us is, we think Libertys coming back in a big way, says Jones, who adds that the Cultural Trust will be taking over the first floor. It is also uncommon, in that most of the Downtown buildings tend to be much narrower. This is close to 60 feet wide and very lofty in feeling; some of the finished ceiling heights are 16, 18 feet, so you have this immense volume feel to it thats unlike any other building.
Because its north-facing, the buildings massive windows give the apartment lots of natural light without the problems that direct sunlight can cause, he says.
Architect Dan Rothschild with Rothschild Doyno Collaborative made the most of a unique floor plan that contains angles. One angled hallway creates what Jones and Krahe call the knuckle, leading to a bedroom set apart from the rest of the living space. Its where the elevator and stairs will be, enabling secure, private access. Sota Construction Services is the contractor.
Theres not a building like it in the city, configuration-wise, says Krahe, noting that the elevation, ceiling height and windows change with each floor. The windows off the back end of the building are impressive. The views not as great, looking off Strawberry Way, but each one of those floors has unique characteristics, relative to elevation.
Essential to their project was cutting a deal with the Pittsburgh Parking Authority for underground parking and elevator access in the basement of the adjacent garage, Krahe says. Through the garage, residents also could access the Duquesne Club at the rear of the building without having to emerge to street level.
To obtain historic tax credits for the Victorian brick building, which was built in 1881 and sits in a historic district, the partners must lease the apartments for a number of years. During the renovation, Ernie Sota preserved historic elements of the building, exterior and interior, Jones says.
The partners praised Cultural Trust and City of Pittsburgh officials for helping them to navigate many challenges to make the project work.
Its unique, says Krahe. Being part of the Downtown renewal and the excitement thats there, its been fascinating.
The staff at NEXTpittsburgh contributed to this article.
820 Liberty AvenueDowntown apartmentspittsburgh news
Here is the original post:
- Why is Liberty missing the excitement? - Coastal Courier - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty man reunited with two men who helped save his life after heart attack - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Defensive lineman ready to make big impression at Liberty - The Cross Timbers Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: 12th annual Freedom Conference was victory for liberty - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- HEQ: Liberty President on Growing the Reverse Mortgage Business by Expanding Distribution - Reverse Mortgage Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reader says our liberty has been taken away - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 2nd, 2020
- Bonner leads Sun to important 70-65 win over Liberty - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Gazette area volleyball Super 10: Xavier, Liberty climb to Nos. 2 and 3 - The Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- One man dead, another arrested following shooting in Liberty Township - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- I want the people of God to enjoy liberty: Pastor at Maine super-spreader wedding gives defiant indoor sermon - The Boston Globe - September 2nd, 2020
- At Liberty, 30 students and staff have tested positive for coronavirus - Lynchburg News and Advance - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Springfield aims to be citys 1st recreational marijuana shop - MassLive.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- Tuesday briefing: Britons flee Brexit by the thousands - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utilities nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 2nd, 2020
- OPINION: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - Standard-Times - August 2nd, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Universal health care is essential to liberty - Press Herald - August 2nd, 2020
- UPDATE: Package Recovered - Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Has Liberty Oilfield Services Inc.'s (NYSE:LBRT) Impressive Stock Performance Got Anything to Do With Its Fundamentals? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- North Liberty urges residents to wear face masks, calls on businesses to adopt mask policies - The Gazette - July 29th, 2020
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Liberty Broadband Corporation (NASDAQ:LBRD.K)? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Serene Two-Bed Condo with Sunny Terrace is Entertainer's Dream, Liberty Terrace, DTJC - Jersey Digs - July 29th, 2020
- Liberty University won't require COVID-19 test for returning students this fall - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 29th, 2020
- W.N.B.A. Preview: With Sabrina Ionescu, the Liberty Hit Refresh - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- Reflecting on Liberty Global's (NASDAQ:LBTY.A) Share Price Returns Over The Last Five Years - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Financial Insights and Technical Data on The Liberty Braves Group (BATRA) - Invest Million - July 29th, 2020
- Mostly Outdoor Restaurant and Bar Arrives in Liberty Station - Eater San Diego - July 29th, 2020
- Game 2: Liberty look for their first win of the new season against Dallas - NetsDaily - July 29th, 2020
- The Presley and other restaurants opening at Liberty Station - New restaurants like The Presley and others are opening throughout Liberty Station.... - July 29th, 2020
- Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - July 28th, 2020
- Why Will Spark The Next Run With The Liberty Braves Group (BATRK) Shares? - Invest Million - July 28th, 2020
- Liberty Twp. gets grant to extend walking and biking path - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 28th, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Statue of Liberty repeatedly struck by lightning - KSL.com - July 28th, 2020
- NASA: Asteroid Bigger Than Statue Of Liberty To Fly Safely Past Earth - International Business Times - July 28th, 2020
- Rumor: GTA 6 Set in Vice City, GTA Online Heading to Remastered Liberty City Later This Year - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2020
- Improvements coming to 18 Liberty Twp. roads this year - WKBN.com - July 28th, 2020