In the 1870s, the colonizing American government rounded up Indians and put them in boarding schools and forced them to learn English. The American government knew one thing: If you take away a persons language, you take away their culture and their soul. Its the first and most important step of colonization and a necessary type of violent oppression. If you want to subdue people and landscapes and cultures, you must first describe and define them in the words of the oppressor and colonizer and teach them to use those words.
Environmentalists are losing the water wars because they have had their language stolen they are taught to use the language of their oppressor, and they often repeat that story, and thereby oppression, constantly in their communications.
My first exposure to this problem was more than a decade ago when I was in a meeting with the head of a government organization that wanted (and actually still wants) to build a dam on the Cache la Poudre River in northern Colorado. I was complaining that the river was already being drained by dams and diversions, and he replied to me and said that what was actually happening was that senior water-rights holders had swept the river.
My jaw dropped.
They werent farmers or cities, which are actual people who are harming the river they were senior water-rights holders. They werent draining the river. They had swept it, as if the complete draining and destruction of the river made it cleaner.
And finally, it wasnt even a river. It was just water.
Over the years I collected these words, metaphors and euphemisms because theyre repeated by the water agencies and establishment I call them water buffaloes and often by the environmental groups that work hand-in-hand with them. Here are just ten examples of a whole institutionalized and legalized system of linguistic and cultural oppression describing river destruction:
If you are a professional environmentalist and trained in water law or hydrology, youre taught this language in college and law school. At work, you repeat it day after day in meetings, phone calls and emails. The water buffaloes like this because you use their language, and they invite you to their meetings and give you a seat at the table. At best, the language sanitizes the destruction of living rivers and entire nonhuman life forms. At worst, the language solidifies the systemic, institutionalized oppression of living rivers and the people who protect them, thereby stealing your culture and your values.
When Aldo Leopold paddled through the 2-million-acre wetland of the Colorado River Delta in 1922, he said the river was everywhere and nowhere and described it as a milk and honey wilderness full of hundreds of lagoons containing deer, quail, raccoon, bobcat, jaguar and vast flocks of waterfowl. Now the Colorado River Delta is almost 100 percent drained, and the small effort to restore it is often described with bland scientific terminology. The tiny amount of water that the United States and Mexico are allowing to be pumped into the restoration zones is measured in acre-feet.
Language is a tool of political manipulation when you use and repeat your opponents language, you solidify their status and your own oppression.
Consider this mumbo-jumbo that you hear when talking to water agencies: When a water right is in priority, you perfect it by sweeping the river so that excess supplies are held in storage for consumptive use.
What really happened? They dammed, drained and destroyed a river, which is a living, breathing life force the veins of the planet providing survival to a vast array of nonhuman creatures that have entire cultures and languages of their own.
If they steal your language, they steal your soul. Dont let them.
Gary Wockner, PhD, is a scientist and conservationist based in Colorado. Follow him on Twitter, @GaryWockner. Learn more at savethecolorado.org
Read more from the original source:
- US broadcaster urged to expose Chinas oppression in Tibet - The Tribune India - January 25th, 2022
- Its time for the SADC region to hold Zimbabwe to account - Al Jazeera English - January 25th, 2022
- What's Next for the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act - The Dispatch - January 25th, 2022
- Art exhibit at Heartland Community College showcases oppressed lives of women in Iran - CIProud.com - January 25th, 2022
- Affirmative Action Without Racial Preferences - Reason - January 25th, 2022
- Myths of the past no longer represent modern world - Alton Telegraph - January 25th, 2022
- The Olympic Games Return to China, in a Changed World - The New Yorker - January 25th, 2022
- The US Betrays Its Heritage by Threatening World War III Against Russia and China - PRESSENZA International News Agency - January 25th, 2022
- The West is Waging War on the Sudanese Revolution - Novara Media - January 25th, 2022
- Government agriculture seminar based on ethnic cleansing, war crimes and human rights abuses - thedailyblog.co.nz - January 25th, 2022
- How Ending Expectations That Adults Work For A Living Erases Dignity - The Federalist - January 25th, 2022
- WATCH: The View mocks RFK Jr. and anti-mandate rally in DC - Denver Gazette - January 25th, 2022
- 'I went to prison for gluing my face to the M25 and I'd do it again' - My London - January 25th, 2022
- Amy Wax and the Problem of Right-Wing Double Standards on Immigration - Reason - January 25th, 2022
- UP elections: BJP banks on welfare plans to win SC votes - Hindustan Times - January 25th, 2022
- EXPLAINER: Different mindsets of Mayor Mike, Guv Gwen on using vax cards against the unvaccinated. But could any LGU defy central government policy?|... - January 25th, 2022
- Letters to the editor for Monday, January 24, 2022 - News-Press - January 25th, 2022
- BOOK REVIEW: THIS EARTH OF MANKIND (1996) BY PRAMOEDYA ANATA TOER THE AWAKENING OF A NATION ENSLAVED IN ITS OWN LAND - Asia Media International - January 25th, 2022
- Speaker affirms Dr. King's message; 'Now is the time to stand up against injustice' - Williamsport Sun-Gazette - January 25th, 2022
- Look back at the life of Archbishop Desmond Tutu - Action News Now - December 27th, 2021
- Brothers Offer New Perspective on Maternity and Family With Parallel Mothers - Yahoo Entertainment - December 27th, 2021
- Apartheid in the Holy Land Middle East Monitor - Middle East Monitor - December 27th, 2021
- PPP cant make Sindhs residents its slaves, say PSP and ANP - The News International - December 27th, 2021
- 'My wife, my sons and my daughter all drowned. They left because life here is so bad with no electricity, no jobs and no salary' - Morning Star Online - December 27th, 2021
- Republicans cornering the market on freedom and oppression | TheHill - The Hill - September 5th, 2021
- China's oppression of Tibetans serves as warning to Taiwan: Exiled Tibetan official - Devdiscourse - September 5th, 2021
- Oppressed Tibetans are warning to Taiwan: Tibetan representative - Focus Taiwan News Channel - September 5th, 2021
- OPINION | LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Were delight to read | Sacrifices public good | Have to accept reality - Arkansas Online - September 5th, 2021
- Taliban Expected to Announce New Government in Afghanistan - International Christian Concern - September 5th, 2021
- What the winner of this election must do about China, Meng and the two Michaels - Maclean's - September 5th, 2021
- Does the US have any real leverage over the Taliban? - Yahoo News - September 5th, 2021
- What is Owed - The Nation - September 5th, 2021
- The Taliban get a Chinese friend - The Sunday Guardian Live - The Sunday Guardian - September 5th, 2021
- [Visual History of Korea] Worlds first case of press oppression - The Korea Herald - September 5th, 2021
- Guest View: Rise of the Taliban and defeat of the U.S. - The Register-Guard - September 5th, 2021
- The unjust war in Afghanistan and the continuing people's struggle against oppression - Davao Today - September 5th, 2021
- Afghanistan and the colonial project of feminism: dismantling the binary lens - EUROPP - European Politics and Policy - September 5th, 2021
- Political thought The threat from the illiberal left - The Economist - September 5th, 2021
- Critical race theory bans in schools are making teaching harder - Vox.com - September 5th, 2021
- Afghanistan. Google blocked the accounts of the ousted government employees. The Taliban sought to reach them - MoviesOnline - September 5th, 2021
- Government should urgently take appropriate actions to protect women and children - BusinessGhana - September 5th, 2021
- The Repeat Patterns in the Afghanistan Conflicts - The Citizen - September 5th, 2021
- Many eligible Indigenous voters struggle with whether or not they will go to the polls - Turtle Island News - September 5th, 2021
- UP election 2022: Oppression of Dalits, Brahmins to be BSPs key poll plank - India Today - September 5th, 2021
- Biden Can't Pressure Taliban Without Hurting Thousands of Afghans Left Behind - Foreign Policy - September 5th, 2021
- Connecting the Dots with columnist John Bos: Is racism systemic? - The Recorder - September 5th, 2021
- Ahead of his times - The Statesman - September 5th, 2021
- In the Shadow of 9/11 - The Nation - September 5th, 2021
- Careless Whispers: Parallels of civilian informants in social media user-reporting policies, but govt must walk a tightrope on this - The Financial... - February 10th, 2021
- Oppression against us attracting international attention: Farmers - The New Indian Express - February 10th, 2021
- Turkish authorities arrest 65 revolutionaries in a bid to break the backbone of the growing anti-government resistance - Morning Star Online - February 10th, 2021
- Protests in Tunisia conjure images of the past and questions about the future - Atlantic Council - February 10th, 2021
- Will Not be Cowed Down by 'Oppression', Says VK Sasikala; To Engage in Active Politics - The Wire - February 10th, 2021
- When Narendra Modi Exhorted 'Andolanjivis' to Rise Up Against the Government in 1974 - The Wire - February 10th, 2021
- The White Tiger tackles class struggle in the era of globalization - Johns Hopkins News-Letter - February 10th, 2021
- Opinion: Politics should not distract the church from its mission - Online Athens - February 10th, 2021
- Huawei's situation won't get any better with the Biden administration - Android Central - February 10th, 2021
- Spains enhancing ties with Turkey can only serve to strengthen Erdoans oppressive rule - Ahval - February 10th, 2021
- Designating the Proud Boys a terrorist organization won't stop hate-fuelled violence - The Conversation CA - February 10th, 2021
- This week in history: February 8-14 - WSWS - February 10th, 2021
- Sisters of the Good Shepherd are united with the people for the future of Myanmar - Malaysian Christian News - February 10th, 2021
- OPINION: PS 90's Future Belongs To The People Of District 40 - BKLYNER - February 10th, 2021
- 'PF's divide and rule schemes' The Mast Online - themastonline.com - February 10th, 2021
- Truth telling and giving back: how settler colonials are coming to terms with painful family histories - The Conversation AU - February 10th, 2021
- World must pressurise India to hold plebiscite - The Nation - February 4th, 2021
- Black History Is About More Than Oppression (Opinion) - Education Week - February 4th, 2021
- My family was part of the Cummeragunja walk-off decades ago. Sometimes I wonder if anything has changed - The Guardian - February 4th, 2021
- Democracy, Violence, and the Legacy of the American Revolution - History News Network (HNN) - February 4th, 2021
- Sundance 'Judas And The Black Messiah' Review: A Relevant Film About The Oppressed Fighting The Oppressor - Mashable India - February 4th, 2021
- Priest says thousands of refugees in Tigray deported to Eritrea - Angelus News - February 4th, 2021
- How should history be taught, and who should decide? - Times Record - February 4th, 2021
- After decades in the grip of oppression, family has the promise of hope with Christ and pregnancy help - Pregnancy Help News - February 4th, 2021
- Cherriots failed to meet minority contracting goals for years - Salem Reporter - February 4th, 2021
- Biden's pro-immigration agenda is more expansive than Obama's, but it has drawbacks - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2021
- The GameStop Saga Is Not the Revenge Against Finance We... - Truthout - February 4th, 2021
- 'The burka initiative defends the dignity of women' - swissinfo.ch - February 4th, 2021
- Call BlackLine: Community Care and Liberation on Speed Dial - The River Newsroom - February 4th, 2021
- When Violence Is Used To Teach A Lesson: A Day In The Life Of A Dalit-Adivasi Woman - Youth Ki Awaaz - February 4th, 2021
- On the frontline: How the government has made BAME lives dispensable - Varsity Online - January 5th, 2021
- Turkish politics and discussions on Islamic headscarf | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - January 5th, 2021