The genes in your bodys cells play an important role in your health indeed, a defective gene or genes can make you sick.
Recognizing this, scientists have been working for decades on ways to modify genes or replace faulty genes with healthy ones to treat, cure or prevent a disease or medical condition.
Now this research on gene therapy is finally paying off. Since August 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved three gene therapy products, the first of their kind.
Two of them reprogram a patients own cells to attack a deadly cancer, and the most recent approved product targets a disease caused by mutations in a specific gene.
What is the relationship between cells and genes?f
Cells are the basic building blocks of all living things; the human body is composed of trillions of them. Within our cells there are thousands of genes that provide the information for the production of specific proteins and enzymes that make muscles, bones, and blood, which in turn support most of our bodys functions, such as digestion, making energy, and growing.
Sometimes the whole or part of a gene is defective or missing from birth, or a gene can change or mutate during adult life. Any of these variations can disrupt how proteins are made, which can contribute to health problems or diseases.
In gene therapy, scientists can do one of several things depending on the problem that is present. They can replace a gene that causes a medical problem with one that doesnt, add genes to help the body to fight or treat disease, or turn off genes that are causing problems.
In order to insert new genes directly into cells, scientists use a vehicle called a vector which is genetically engineered to deliver the gene.
Viruses, for example, have a natural ability to deliver genetic material into cells, and therefore, can be used as vectors. Before a virus can be used to carry therapeutic genes into human cells, however, it is modified to remove its ability to cause an infectious disease.
Gene therapy can be used to modify cells inside or outside the body. When its done inside the body, a doctor will inject the vector carrying the gene directly into the part of the body that has defective cells.
In gene therapy that is used to modify cells outside of the body, blood, bone marrow, or another tissue can be taken from a patient, and specific types of cells can be separated out in the lab. The vector containing the desired gene is introduced into these cells. The cells are left, to multiply in the laboratory, and are then injected back into the patient, where they continue to multiply and eventually produce the desired effect.
Before a company can market a gene therapy product for use in humans, the gene therapy product has to be tested for safety and effectiveness so that FDA scientists can consider whether the risks of the therapy are acceptable in light of the benefits.
Gene therapy holds the promise to transform medicine and create options for patients who are living with difficult, and even incurable, diseases. As scientists continue to make great strides in this therapy, FDA is committed to helping speed up development by prompt review of groundbreaking treatments that have the potential to save lives.
back to top
- After reeling back a gene therapy from Sanofi, a North Carolina upstart bags enough money to do something about it - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy in One Eye Improves Vision in Both Eyes - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- After leaving Wall Street to launch a gene therapy upstart, Rachel McMinn nabs $115M to drive her first candidate to the clinic - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 17th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: COVID-19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Passage Bio Invests In Gene Therapy Manufacturing R&D Site - Contract Pharma - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 17th, 2020
- Though Promising, Gene Therapies Face Durability And Reimbursement Headwinds - Forbes - December 17th, 2020
- What is gene therapy? - The Star Online - December 17th, 2020
- They thought their gene therapy failed. Instead, it spawned a medical mystery - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Health Canada approves Zolgensma, the one-time gene therapy for pediatric patients with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) - Canada NewsWire - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Injection in One Eye Improves Vision in Both - Technology Networks - December 17th, 2020
- Locanabio Raises $100 Million to Advance RNA-Targeted Gene Therapies - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Worldwide Gene Therapy Industry to 2025 - Cancer is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share in the Indication Segment - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 17th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Set to Join Russell 2000 Index on December 21, 2020 - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Rare Disease Gene Therapy Market: Increasing cases of genetic diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Single gene therapy injection surprisingly boosts vision in both eyes - New Atlas - December 17th, 2020
- Freeline takes the haemophilia B gene therapy fight to Uniqure - Vantage - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia B Found Safe and Effective in First Phase III Trial - PRNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- ASH: UniQure/CSL hem B gene therapy curbs bleeding in phase 3even in patients with anti-AAV antibodies - FierceBiotech - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Analysis by Vector Type, Application, Region - Global Market Insights, Covid-19 Impact, Competition and Forecast to 2025 -... - December 14th, 2020
- Retinal Gene Therapy Market to Witness Sales Slump in Near Term Due to COVID-19; Long-term Outlook R - PharmiWeb.com - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy, Absolutely and For Real | In the Pipeline - Science Magazine - December 14th, 2020
- Treatment with Investigational LentiGlobin Gene Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease (bb1111) Results in Complete Elimination of SCD-Related Severe... - December 14th, 2020
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals in orbit after gene therapy read-out - - pharmaphorum - December 14th, 2020
- Bluebird trumpets long-term data from beta-thalassaemia gene therapy - - pharmaphorum - December 14th, 2020
- ASH 2020: Novel Gene Therapy Found to be Safe and Effective in Treatment of Hemophilia B - OncoZine - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Unexpectedly Improves Vision In Both Eyes Of Patients Suffering A Form Of Blindness - IFLScience - December 14th, 2020
- Innovative payment models to support cell and gene therapies on the rise - MedCity News - December 14th, 2020
- Better education needed to give patients improved understanding of gene therapies, new review highlights - University of Birmingham - December 14th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Market is Expected to Recover and Reach $6.84 Billion in 2023 - Forecast to 2030 - GlobeNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- Navigating the Complexities of AAV Scale-Up and Manufacturing - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - December 14th, 2020
- EdiGene Expands Management Team by Appointment of Head of US Subsidiary Dr. Bo Zhang and Head of Business Development Dr. Kehua Fan - Business Wire - December 14th, 2020
- New CSL gene therapy could trigger a stock rerating - The Australian Financial Review - October 19th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Size & Share Insights on Growing Applications by 2026 - re:Jerusalem - October 19th, 2020
- Gene Therapy: Healing remedy or harmful hoax? The Knight News - The Knight News - October 19th, 2020
- Polyplus-transfection presents latest solution portfolio for gene therapy market to Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's Meeting on the Mesa -... - October 19th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Receives Rare Pediatric Disease Designation and Orphan Drug Designation for TSHA-102 as a Treatment for Rett Syndrome - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Merck's New VirusExpress Platform Speeds Development of Cell and Gene Therapies - PharmiWeb.com - October 19th, 2020
- Axovant Gene Therapies Receives Rare Pediatric Disease Designation for AXO-AAV-GM2 for Tay-Sachs and Sandhoff Disease - GlobeNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Ori Biotech's new cell and gene therapy platform raises 23m - BusinessCloud - October 19th, 2020
- Foundation to Fight H-ABC, University of Massachusetts Medical School and Yale University Initiate Gene Therapy Study Targeting Cure for Rare Disease... - October 19th, 2020
- 5-Year-Old Girl, Being Treated In French Gene Therapy Trial, Dies In US - NDTV - October 19th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Libmeldy for the Treatment of Early-Onset Metachromatic Leukodystrophy (MLD) - GlobeNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Castle Creek Biosciences Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of FCX-013 Gene Therapy for Treatment of Moderate to Severe... - October 19th, 2020
- Longview family rallies around 3-year-old with rare, fatal genetic condition - Longview News-Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Child dies in US during gene therapy trial - The News International - October 19th, 2020
- Tag: Gene Therapy - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market Robust pace of Industry during 2018-2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Disruptive Technologies and Mature Regulatory Environment Vital for Cell Therapy Maturation - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Ori looks to advance closed cell therapy tech - BioProcess Insider - October 19th, 2020
- Histogen Appoints Moya Daniels as Executive Vice President and Head of Regulatory, Quality and Clinical Operations - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- EMA starts rapid review of Bluebird's gene therapy for rare disease CALD - - pharmaphorum - October 10th, 2020
- American Gene Technologies to Present at 2020 Virtual Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Unchained Labs launches the ultimate gene therapy tool; tackle AAV titer, empty/full ratio and more with Stunner! - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Smartphone-connected pacemaker devices, experimental gene therapy among top 10 innovations at annual event - BioWorld Online - October 10th, 2020
- CellGenix Completes Facility Expansion to Stay Ahead of the Increasing Demand for GMP Raw Materials - b3c newswire - October 10th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic Names Top 10 Medical Innovations; Sickle Cell Therapy Tops the List - HealthLeaders Media - October 10th, 2020
- Investigational Gene Therapy for Phenylketonuria Gets Fast Tracked - Monthly Prescribing Reference - October 10th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics to Present at the 2020 Cell & Gene Virtual Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Partners with Invitae to Enable Rapid Access to Genetic Testing and Earlier Diagnosis of Patients with CNS Disease for Rare and... - October 10th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market 2020 by industry trends, statistics, key companies growth and regional forecast - News by Decresearch - October 10th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics, Link Health and Pregene to develop and commercialize the ALLOB allogeneic bone cell therapy platform in China and Southeast Asia -... - October 10th, 2020
- Axovant to Participate in Upcoming October Conferences and Provide AXO-Lenti-PD Program Update the Morning of October 6th - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Investigational Gene Therapy Fast Tracked for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Monthly Prescribing Reference - October 10th, 2020
- Genprex to Present at the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's Virtual Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- Generation Bio to Present at 2020 Virtual Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Gyrolab AAVX Titer Kit Introduced to Support Cell and Gene Therapy Market - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Builds Experienced Executive Leadership Team to Advance Pipeline of Gene Therapies for Monogenic CNS Disease in Both Rare and... - September 2nd, 2020
- First Gene Therapy Products Approved in Brazil - Lexology - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to be worth USD 10 Billion by 2030, growing at an annualized rate of over 40% - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Additional Interim Results from Proof-of-Concept Study of OTL-203 for MPS-I - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- The Safety and Clinical Activity of Gene-engineered T-cell Therapy Targeting HPV-16 E7 in Epithelial Cancers - Pharmacy Times - September 2nd, 2020
- AGTC to Host Management Update on September 9 at 8:00 am ET to Discuss Planned Phase 2/3 XLRP Trial, Share Additional XLRP Data and Report Fourth... - September 2nd, 2020
- Qualitative Analysis and Competitive Industry, CCOVID-19 Scenario of Personalized Gene Therapy Treatment Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Sorrento Announces the Closing of Its Acquisition of SmartPharm to Build Next Generation G-MAB-Encoded Plasmid DNA For Cost-Efficient and In Vivo... - September 2nd, 2020
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020