On the heels of an FDA speedy review for Keytrudas potential use in non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC), its close rival, a gene therapy by Ferring Pharmaceuticals spinout FerGene, has posted late-stage data. By the looks of it, the two drugs are up for a fight.
Among patients with high-risk NMIBC superficial disease thats unresponsive to standard-of-care Bacillus Calmette-Gurin (BCG), nadofaragene firadenovec eliminated tumors in 53%, or 55 of 103 patients,at month three in a phase 3 study, FerGene unveiled Thursday at the Society of Urologic Oncology meeting.
By comparison, in Keytrudas own registrational trial on the same target patient population, the Merck & Co. PD-1 completely cleared tumors in 41.2%, or 42 of 102 patients, after three months, according to an update at the European Society for Medical Oncology annual meeting in September.
Simplify and Accelerate Drug R&D With the MarkLogic Data Hub Service for Pharma R&D
Researchers are often unable to access the information they need. And, even when data does get consolidated, researchers find it difficult to sift through it all and make sense of it in order to confidently draw the right conclusions and share the right results. Discover how to quickly and easily find, synthesize, and share informationaccelerating and improving R&D.
The length of time responses lasted appeared similar between the two drugs in their separate studies. For Keytruda, 24 patients (23.5%) continued to show no signs of disease after a year. As for nadofaragene firadenovec, 24.3%, or 25 patients, were still tumor-free at month 12.
In terms of safety, Keytruda recorded Grade 3/4 side effects in12.7% of patients, while FerGene said there were no Grade 4/5 events in its study.
We are pleased with these Phase 3 data results, including the complete response rates and favorable safety profile seen with nadofaragene firadenovec, Nigel Parker, scientific founder of FKD Therapies, said in a statement. The data have also helped FKD'snew drug application earn an FDA priority review.
RELATED:Merck's Keytruda is bound for new bladder cancer territory. But can it hold up against gene therapy?
Ferring recently gained commercial rights to the gene therapy from FKD, and, with $400 million in help from Blackstone Life Sciences, spun it into FerGene. Interestingly, it was Merck that licensed the drugout to FKD in the first place in 2011 in return for an equity stake in the then-newly formed Finnish company.
Priority reviews in hand, the two companies could be looking at FDA approvals soon. The burning question is, how does FerGene plan to price a gene therapy, which belongs to a class of drug thats notoriously costly? In a statement sentto FiercePharma, Ferring said it's too early to discuss pricing, that its top priority is still to get nadofaragene firadenovec approved andinvest into R&Dto study the product in more indications.
Keytruda is meant to be given ata fixed dose every three weeks. Nadofaragene firadenovec, which uses an adenovirus vector to deliver the gene interferon alfa-2b to stimulate an innate immune response to fight cancer, is administered into the bladder every three months.
Merck does have an upper hand against FerGene. The Big Pharma has been the sole supplier of BCG in the U.S. and several other key markets globally for several years now. So, it could offer BCG and Keytruda as a one-two punch for NMIBC, similar to the wayBayer is billing Nexavar and Stivarga as a part of the same continuumin first- and second-line liver cancer.
RELATED:Merck limits orders for bladder cancer drug as demand outstrips supply
There are other players eyeing the same patient population. Sesen Bio has Vicinium, an antibody-drug conjugate that targets epithelial cell adhesion molecule antigens on the surface of tumor cells to deliver a toxin payload. In its own phase 3 trial dubbed Vista also in high-risk, BCG-unresponsive NMIBC, Vicinium eradicated tumors in 40% of 89 patients at month three, according to an update the company provided in August. However, its response seems to wane over time more quickly than its rivals', as only 17% of patients showed no signs of tumor activity after 12 months.
The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based biotech recently held two meetings with the FDA and confirmed a submission process, including the design for a post-marketing confirmatory trial. It would enroll BCG-refractory patients who, because of supply constraints, haven't received an optimal BCG dose, which the company said represents a broader patientpopulation in light of anongoing shortage.
Sesen now expects to submit a biologics license application under rolling review by year-end with potential approval in 2020.
As for its pricing, during a presentation at the H.C. Wainwright investor conference in September, Sesens president and CEO Thomas Cannell pointed out that PD-1/L1s would cost about $150,000 to $200,000 per patient per year in NMIBC.
Weve done two rounds of market research with payers, and they think thats reasonable, he said. They think at those levels, there will probably be minimal prior authorization or step edits in terms of restricting a treatments use.
Assuming an official launch in 2021, Jefferies analysts, in a Nov. 12 note to clients, pegged $167.5 million for Viciniums U.S. sales in 2024. Before the priority designation, SVB Leerinks Daina Graybosch predicted a Keytruda launch in NMIBC in 2022 and forecastU.S. sales of $250 million in the indication for the Merck PD-1 inhibitor in 2025.
Editor's Note: The story has been updated with a statement from Ferring Pharma.
Read more here:
- Gene Therapy for Frontotemporal Dementia With a GRN Mutation Gets Fast Track Status - Monthly Prescribing Reference - March 26th, 2020
- Redpin bags A round to advance Chantix-controlled gene therapies - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2020
- Vycellix and Avectas Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Avectas and Vycellix Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Codexis and Takeda partner on gene therapies for rare diseases - Pharmaceutical Technology - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Strengthens Leadership Team with the Appointment of Two Accomplished Life Science Executives - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Study reveals gene therapy may help in treating cardiac disease - The Siasat Daily - March 26th, 2020
- TCR therapy an attractive alternative to CAR T for immunotherapy - Drug Target Review - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Bolsters Board of Directors, Appoints Three Biotechnology and Healthcare Industry Leaders - Insurance News Net - March 26th, 2020
- 89bio Appoints Healthcare Industry Veteran Steven Altschuler, MD, as Chairman of the Board of Directors - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Boosting the Growth Worldwide: Cancer Gene Therapy Market Dynamics and Trends, Efficiencies Forecast 2025 - Daily Science - March 26th, 2020
- Serial child rapist sentenced to up to 126 years in jail; new gene therapy from UPMC could cure diabetes: Tod - PennLive - March 26th, 2020
- Visiongain Report Looks at Opportunities Within the $23bn Cell Therapy Technologies Market - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - March 16th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapies: Overcoming the Biggest Hurdles in... - Labiotech.eu - March 16th, 2020
- Almost 400 cell and gene therapies in US pipeline, finds report - European Pharmaceutical Review - March 16th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Peer-Reviewed Publication of HMI-102 Investigational Gene Therapy Demonstrating Restoration of Normal Metabolic Pathway... - March 16th, 2020
- Gene therapy giving Flames executive Snow hope in ALS fight - NHL.com - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Reverses Heart Failure in Mouse Model - Technology Networks - March 16th, 2020
- UAE's first gene therapy improves eyesight of two Emirati sisters - Gulf News - March 16th, 2020
- Construction of a replication-competent retroviral vector for expression of the VSV-G envelope glycoprotein for cancer gene therapy. - Physician's... - March 16th, 2020
- Week In Review: Nanjing Legend Files To Stage IPO In The U.S. - Seeking Alpha - March 16th, 2020
- Kuur Therapeutics Launches to Develop and Commercialize Off-the-shelf CAR-NKT Cell Therapies Targeting Hematological and Solid Tumors - Business Wire - March 16th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Is Successfully Treating a Common Form of Inherited Blindness - Singularity Hub - March 4th, 2020
- Biogen teams up with Sangamo in gene therapy deal worth up to $2.7B - MedCity News - March 4th, 2020
- Staff: Cell gene therapy sector needs reinforcements - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - March 4th, 2020
- CYTOO and AskBio Enter Research Agreement to Screen Gene Therapy Candidates for Rare Muscle Disorder - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Symbiosis on increased demand for viral vectors - BioPharma-Reporter.com - March 4th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Announces Investigational New Drug Application Active for PR006 for the Treatment of Frontotemporal Dementia with GRN Mutation |... - March 4th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Provides Clinical Advancement Update on PR001 for the Treatment of Parkinson's Disease with GBA1 mutationsCompany Will Present at... - March 4th, 2020
- Avectas and CCRM Announce Collaboration to Accelerate Development of Novel Technology for Cell Therapies - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- First-Year Lab Experience Gave This Student the Confidence to Aim for a Ph.D. - UVA Today - March 4th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Corporate Updates - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- How does gene therapy work? - Genetics Home Reference - NIH - February 24th, 2020
- Nationwide Childrens among hospitals leading the way in gene therapy - The Columbus Dispatch - February 24th, 2020
- BioMarin gene therapy won't need an AdComm as it nabs speedy FDA review - FierceBiotech - February 24th, 2020
- Gene therapy to halt rare form of sight loss - BBC News - February 24th, 2020
- With supply tight, Novartis readies gene therapy plant for production - BioPharma Dive - February 24th, 2020
- New Gene Therapies Institute Aims to Address Regulatory Barriers - HealthITAnalytics.com - February 24th, 2020
- Bluebird's gene therapy hits another delay, this time in the US - BioPharma Dive - February 24th, 2020
- First patient undergoes Luxturna gene therapy on NHS - PharmaTimes - February 24th, 2020
- First Patients Begin Gene Therapy Treatment for Blindness through NHS - Interesting Engineering - February 24th, 2020
- Spark R&D chief High exits in wake of Roche takeover - FierceBiotech - February 24th, 2020
- Why So Many Biotechs Are Scrambling to Develop a Drug for the Same Rare Disease - The Motley Fool - February 24th, 2020
- 3 Cancer Treatment Stocks to Buy Right Now - The Motley Fool - February 24th, 2020
- The Most Important Stock to Own Over the Next Decade - Nasdaq - February 24th, 2020
- FDA Continues Strong Support of Innovation in Development of Gene Therapy Products - FDA.gov - February 2nd, 2020
- Interpreting Sameness Gene Therapy Products Orphan Drug Regulations - FDA.gov - February 2nd, 2020
- Pfizer lays out gene therapy aspirations - BioPharma Dive - February 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry Outlook 2020-2024 - Strong Product Pipeline Gives Rise to Lucrative Growth Opportunities - P&T Community - February 2nd, 2020
- FDA guidance on gene therapies development and manufacturing - BioPharma-Reporter.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Devastation, then hope: Platteville baby first in state treated for rare condition after screening - Madison.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Studies target unilateral gene therapy injection - Ophthalmology Times - February 2nd, 2020
- Otonomy Presents Preclinical Results for GJB2 Gene Therapy Collaboration and Cisplatin Otoprotection Program - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Eyeing a trio of trial initiations, Jim Wilson's gene therapy startup woos Bruce Goldsmith from Deerfield as CEO - Endpoints News - February 2nd, 2020
- The FDA unveils a new regulatory framework to speed along gene therapies, rewarding the leading players - Endpoints News - February 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapies Make it to Clinical Trials - Discover Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Experimental Gene Therapy Shows Promise for Preventing and Treating Lou Gehrig's Disease in Mice - BioSpace - December 31st, 2019
- 2019: The year gene therapy came of age - INQUIRER.net - December 31st, 2019
- BLA Submitted for Gene Therapy to Treat Hemophilia A - Monthly Prescribing Reference - December 31st, 2019
- First Alzheimer's Disease Gene Therapy Human Study Provided by Maximum Life Foundation, Offers 10 Free Therapies for Qualifying Patients - Benzinga - December 31st, 2019
- Year in Review: Gene Therapy Technology and a Milestone 2019 for Medical Research - News18 - December 31st, 2019
- Gene therapy to conquering hepatitis C: A decade of medical breakthroughs - Business Standard - December 31st, 2019
- What were the biggest biopharma stories of 2019? - MedCity News - December 31st, 2019
- Global Gene Therapy Market 2019 Revenue, Opportunity, Forecast and Value Chain 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 31st, 2019
- Manufacturing: the next breakthrough in gene therapy - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Novartis in talks with patients upset about lottery-like gene therapy giveaway - Reuters - December 23rd, 2019
- Ring Therapeutics Launches to Expand Gene Therapy Viral Vector Options - Xconomy - December 23rd, 2019
- Gene Therapy for Sickle-Cell Anemia Looks Promisingbut It's Riddled With Controversy - Singularity Hub - December 23rd, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Dyno Therapeutics Launches to Improve Viral Vectors for Gene Therapy - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- New Gene Therapy Method May Open BRAVE New World in Parkinson's - Parkinson's News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- Pharma's gene and cell therapy ambitions will kick into high gear in 2020despite some major hurdles - FiercePharma - December 23rd, 2019
- Viewpoint: EU should take a lead in enforcing the corporate social responsibility of gene therapy manufacturers - Science Business - December 23rd, 2019
- Takeda Presents Data for Hemophilia A and B Gene Therapy Optimization - Hemophilia News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- GenScript Biotech to Host Global Forum on Cell and Gene Therapy and the Booming China Market During JPM Week - PRNewswire - December 23rd, 2019
- The gene therapy research that could save a family of four - News - The University of Sydney - December 23rd, 2019