Across 2019, Vertex has struck deals intended to yield a new generation of breakthrough medicines.
In June, Vertex agreed to pay $245m (220m) upfront to acquire Exonics Therapeutics for its gene editing technology and pipeline of programs targeting diseases including Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). Months later, Vertex put up another $950m to buy Semma Therapeutics and its cell therapy treatment for type I diabetes.
The acquisitions moved Vertex, which started out in small molecules, into new areas, and building out capabilities in those areas will cost money.
In recent years, Vertex has grown its annual operating expenses by 10% to 14%. Talking on a recent quarterly results conference call, Vertex CFO Charles Wagner warned investors to expect costs to rise faster in 2020.
Wagner said, Our current expectation is that the rate of growth will be somewhat higher in 2020 as we invest in research and preclinical manufacturing for selling genetic therapies in support of our programs in type I diabetes, DMD and other diseases.
The move into type I diabetes also takes Vertex into territory that, to some observers, looks different than the areas the company has targeted historically.
Asked by an analyst about the shift in focus, Vertex CEO Jeff Leiden downplayed the differences, noting that type I diabetes is treated in the US in a relatively small number ofcenters that can be targeted by a speciality sales force.
Researchers have achieved positive, long-term outcomes by transplanting cadaveric islets into patients but two barriers have stopped companies from industrialising that approach.
Firstly, there are too few cadaveric islets to treat all type I diabetics. Secondly, immunosuppression is needed to stop patients from rejecting the transplanted cells.
Semma is trying to tackle the problems by differentiating stem cells and using a device to protect them from the immune system. Vertex thinks these technologies are the breakthroughs the field needs to industrialize the concept.
Leiden said, We were watching companies who are addressing those two problems for the last two, three years. And over the last six to eight months, we were convinced that Semma has actually solved both of those problems.
Vertex reached that conclusion on the strength of preclinical data. Now, Vertex is set to invest to find out whether the idea works in the clinic.
- Gene therapy or immunotherapy: which approach is more likely to deliver a cure for HIV? - aidsmap - July 12th, 2020
- Biogen boosts gene therapy strategy with Harvard pact focused on inherited eye disease - FierceBiotech - July 12th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics and MolMed Announce Extension of Gene Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration - BioSpace - July 12th, 2020
- Success in Use of Nanoparticles To Deliver Gene Therapy for Eye Disease in Rodents - Technology Networks - July 12th, 2020
- Gilead axes $445M Precision Biosciences gene therapy hep B pact - FierceBiotech - July 12th, 2020
- Hansa Biopharma Gets up to 350M to Make Gene Therapy Work in Resistant... - Labiotech.eu - July 12th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Announces Updated Data on SPK-8011 from Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial in Hemophilia A at ISTH 2020 Virtual Congress - GlobeNewswire - July 12th, 2020
- CNS Gene Therapy Market is Anticipated to Attain a Market Value of US$XX by the End of 2018 2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy- Global Market Set to Register the Highest Economic Growth by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Carmine Therapeutics teams up with Takeda for non-viral gene therapies - BSA bureau - July 12th, 2020
- British biotech Freeline secures 106 million for its curative liver gene therapies - EU-Startups - July 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Size By Types, By Application, By Region, And Forecast 20202027 - Owned - July 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy For CNS Disorders Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To... - July 12th, 2020
- Retinal Gene Therapy Market Set to Surpass US$XX Million by the end of 2019 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- The Wilderness of Rare Genetic Diseases and the Parents Navigating It - The New York Times - July 12th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market : Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2029 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Explore Trending Report On Gene Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration Market Along With COVID-19 Updates, Trend, Scope, CAGR, Forecast Till... - July 12th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market The New Ways to Win in Emerging Markets In COVID-19 Crisis Forecast to 2020-2027 with GSK, Bluebird bio, Merck, Celgene,... - July 12th, 2020
- 5 FDA approval decisions to watch in the 3rd quarter - BioPharma Dive - July 12th, 2020
- Abeona Therapeutics Announces Two Presentations Related to Its RDEB Clinical Program at the Society for Pediatric Dermatology 45th Annual Meeting -... - July 12th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Outlook for Major Applications/end Users, Consumption, Share and Growth Rate 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Is Set to Boom in 2020, Coming Years - Jewish Life News - July 11th, 2020
- The Wet AMD Gene Therapy Race - Adverum Biotechnologies Vs. Regenxbio - Seeking Alpha - June 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies - Lexology - May 28th, 2020
- Bicoastal startup Kriya Therapeutics to grow gene therapy manufacturing in NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 28th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 28th, 2020
- Troubleshooting the Development of New Gene Therapies - Technology Networks - May 28th, 2020
- Lab Mice Shed Fat and Build Muscle with Gene Therapy - The Great Courses Daily News - May 28th, 2020
- Reversing SHANK3 mutations in mice mitigates autism-like traits - Spectrum - May 28th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Present at Virtual Investor Conferences in June - Yahoo Finance UK - May 28th, 2020
- Gene Therapy market worldwide is projected to grow by US$3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2020
- Generation Bio tees up $125M IPO to push next-gen gene therapies - FierceBiotech - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2020
- Novartis' gene therapy approved in Europe, talks ongoing on price - BioPharma-Reporter.com - May 27th, 2020
- NOVASEP and LYSOGENE Announce their New Collaboration for Development and Production of GM1 Gangliosidosis Gene Therapy Product - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Evox Therapeutics Appoints Martin Andrews as Non-Executive Director - BioSpace - May 27th, 2020
- New Zolgensma 'inflection point' is here as Novartis snags EU nod for SMA gene therapy - FiercePharma - May 27th, 2020
- Gene therapy could help millions of ash trees fight deadly beetle Emerald Ash Borer - inews - May 27th, 2020
- Generation Bio Leads a Trio of Biotech Companies Aiming for the Nasdaq - Xconomy - May 27th, 2020
- European regulators accept FibroGen's anemia drug for review; Passage Bio's lead gene therapy gets more love from the FDA - Endpoints News - May 27th, 2020
- QPS Continues to Expand UPLC-HRMS Quantitation Capabilities to Support Gene Therapy and Protein Drug Development - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Novartis wins conditional EU approval for gene therapy Zolgensma - Reuters - May 19th, 2020
- The Roller Coaster of Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - May 19th, 2020
- Gene therapy reduces fat and builds muscle in mice - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- Forget ExerciseThese Mice Got Ripped With Gene Therapy - Singularity Hub - May 19th, 2020
- UPDATED: Pfizer gene therapy ups levels of dystrophin expression in Duchenne trial but another safety setback mars results - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Thermo Fisher to invest $180M in new gene therapy plant - BioPharma Dive - May 19th, 2020
- Beam Therapeutics Taking Novel Approach to Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- Gene-Therapy Treatments for Tay-Sachs, Sickle Cell to Be Featured in Online Gathering - Barron's - May 19th, 2020
- Sarepta And Dyno Therapeutics Will Develop Next-Gen Gene Therapy Vectors - Contract Pharma - May 19th, 2020
- New gene therapy cuts fat and builds muscle with ease. But theres a catch - Digital Trends - May 19th, 2020
- New Gene Therapy Promises You Will Get Ripped Without Stepping in a Gym - Interesting Engineering - May 19th, 2020
- Merck KGaA adds to gene therapy manufacturing boom with 100M facility in California - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Japan's health insurance to cover 167 million gene therapy drug - The Japan Times - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Gene Therapy Market Is Set To Experience Revolutionary Growth By 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Presents Data at Annual Meeting of American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy Demonstrating Cells Mobilized with MGTA-145 in a... - May 19th, 2020
- Passage Bio Announces Expansion of Gene Therapy Collaboration with University of Pennsylvania - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Orgenesis sees 1Q revenue rocket driven by its Cell and Gene Therapy Biotech platform - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - May 11th, 2020
- Gene therapy for follistatin mitigates systemic metabolic inflammation and post-traumatic arthritis in high-fat dietinduced obesity - Science Advances - May 11th, 2020
- BioMarin broadens its gene therapy horizons with a new R&D alliance in rare cardio cases - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- BioLife Solutions to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provide Business Update on May 14th, 2020 - Chinook Observer - May 11th, 2020
- Adverum soars on early gene therapy data; BerGenBio raises 45.4M on the heels of Covid-19 move - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- Neurophth Therapeutics Announces Presentations at ASGCT and ARVO Annual Meetings - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Genprex Enters Into Exclusive Worldwide Patent and Technology License Agreement for Combination of its TUSC2 Gene Therapy with Immunotherapies -... - May 11th, 2020
- Study suggests effective fat-reducing therapy - Tech Explorist - May 11th, 2020
- Senti Biosciences to Present on Gene Circuit-Based Therapies at the 2020 ASGCT Annual Meeting - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Hitachi Chemical Advanced Therapeutics Solutions and apceth Biopharma GmbH Enter into Strategic Clinical and Commercial Manufacturing Agreements with... - May 11th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Announces Virtual Poster Presentations for FX201, an Intra-Articular Gene Therapy Candidate for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis,... - May 11th, 2020
- UPDATE Amicus Therapeutics Announces Upcoming Presentations at the American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy 23rd Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- This Gene Is a Molecular "Knob" That Fine-tunes Our Cortex's Electrical Activity - Technology Networks - May 11th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Rare Disease Market 2020 Coronavirus (Covid-19) Business Impact 2026 Growth Trends by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,... - May 11th, 2020
- Can gene therapy help develop coronavirus vaccine? Researchers banking on this technology for breakthrough - MEAWW - May 11th, 2020
- A Tribute to Max Randell, Gene Therapy Pioneer - PLoS Blogs - April 27th, 2020
- Merck KGaA to spend $110M on new gene therapy facility in California - BioPharma Dive - April 27th, 2020
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Affinia Therapeutics Establish Multi-Year Collaboration to Discover and Develop Novel AAV Capsids for Genetic Therapies |... - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - Telangana Today - April 27th, 2020
- Regenxbio Is A Leader In Gene Therapies - A Case Where The Platform Is Worth More Than The Pipeline - Seeking Alpha - April 27th, 2020
- UK Startup to Manufacture Cell and Gene Therapies with... - Labiotech.eu - April 27th, 2020
- Sangamo- Early-Stage Progress in Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020