This article was reviewed by Alvin Luk, PhD, MBA, CCRA
Results from two investigator-initiated studies demonstrate that a single intravitreal injection of rAAV2-ND4 (Neurophth Therapeutics Inc.) is associated with long-term safety and durable efficacy for improving vision in patients with Leber hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON), according to Alvin Luk, PhD, MBA, CCRA.
The research is comprised of a single center study including 9 patients followed for 75 to 90 months and a multicenter, international trial including 159 patients followed for up to 12 months, with observation ongoing.
Related: TANGO: Helping target genes produce more protein
Across the entire cohort, there were no serious or severe adverse events, and efficacy data showed that a majority of patients benefited with significant and sustained improvement in BCVA.
LHON is a rare inherited visual disorder that leads to bilateral vision loss and for which there is currently no effective treatment, said Luk. These 2 studies contain the largest and longest follow-up of patients treated withthis gene therapy. Based on the results, we are very excited about its potential impact for restoring vision and greater independence for patients with LHON.
Luk, the CEO at Neurophth Therapeutics Inc., noted gene therapy also is offering a positive impact on treatment.
The gene therapy restores function of the mitochondrial respiratory chain in retinal ganglion cells by delivering the NADH ubiquinone oxidoreductase subunit 4 (ND4) gene.
A series of preclinical studies confirmed that the intravitreal treatment resulted in targeted gene delivery and provided evidence of its safety.
Related: Gene therapy zeroes in as LHON treatment
Importantly, the confocal microscopy analysis confirms that rAAV2-ND4 reaches the targeted areas in the eyes where the pathological changes of LHON occur, Luk said. Therefore, providing support to the hypothesis that treatment with rAAV2-ND4 may alleviate the underlying cause of the vision loss in patients with LHON.
The clinical studies of rAAV2-ND4 gene therapy reported by Luk have been led by Bin Li, MD, PhD, Tongji Hospital, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China.
The first study was initiated in 2011. Known as SEE4 LHON (NCT01267422), it included 3 patients aged younger than 12 years who received 0.5 x 1010 vector genome (vg)/eye and six patients aged older than 12 years who were treated with a dose of 1.0 x 1010vg/eye.
According to investigators, the injections were given into 1 eye in an outpatient procedure and had a volume of 0.05 mL.
Although planned follow-up was initially for 12 months, 8 of the 9 patients have continued follow-up until today, Luk said.
Related: Study targets ocular damage from chronic intravitreal injections
According to Luk, there have been no late toxicities noted nor any abnormalities in intraocular pressure (IOP) in extensive laboratory testing, which includes assessments of hepatic, renal, and immune function.
Efficacy is being evaluated with measurement of the logarithm of the minimum angle of resolution (logMAR) in best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA).
Luk pointed out that at 3 months post-injection, 8 patients (89%) demonstrated improvement from baseline, and 6 of 9 patients (67%) maintained improvement at 3 years.
They also noted that the BCVA response was maintained at month 70 by 5 of the 6 responders who achieved a mean BCVA gain of 0.68 logMAR.
Patients in this study also benefited with some improvement in the untreated eye, Luk said. This kind of bilateral response was also seen in the second larger trial of this therapy and is consistent with observations by other groups working on gene therapy for this inherited eye disease.
Based on the encouraging results of SEE4LHON, a larger scale study named 4-HOPE was launched in 2017.
Related: Research targets precision dosing for gene, cell therapy
All patients were treated at three investigational sites in China and 10 patients are continuing follow-up at their local centers in Argentina.
Luk pointed out that the study enrolled 159 patients aged 6 years or older who received a unilateral injection with 1.0 x 1010 vg/eye.
The safety review showed there were no drug-related adverse events. Ocular hypertension was the most common adverse event that patients experienced, but it is related to the course of oral steroid treatment that is given in conjunction with the injection, Luk explained.
The IOP elevations are generally mild and resolve spontaneously once the steroid treatment is ended, he said.
Of the 159 enrolled patients, 106 had data available from a 12-month follow-up visit. Of the 106 patients, Luk noted that 63% showed an improvement from baseline BCVA with an average gain of 0.3 logMAR.
Related: Greater IOP-lowering with iStent inject
It is important to point out that the patients enrolled in this study represent a heterogenous group with a wide range of ages, time since diagnosis, and baseline BCVA values, Luk concluded. We would not be surprised to see even better efficacy results in a cohort enrolled using narrower inclusion criteria.
Luk noted some of the patients in the study also benefited with bilateral BCVA improvement.
Taking improvements ofinjected and noninjected eyes into consideration from baseline to 12 months post treatment, 43.7% patients who classified as legally blind by World Health Organizationcriteria ( > 1.3 logMAR) were recovered to low (> 0.5 to 1.3 logMAR) or normal ( 0.5 logMAR) vision.Read more by Lynda Charters
Alvin Luk, PhD, MBA, CCRAe:email@example.comLuk is an employee of Neurophth Therapeutics Inc, but has no other relevant financial interests to disclose.
- After reeling back a gene therapy from Sanofi, a North Carolina upstart bags enough money to do something about it - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy in One Eye Improves Vision in Both Eyes - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- After leaving Wall Street to launch a gene therapy upstart, Rachel McMinn nabs $115M to drive her first candidate to the clinic - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 17th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: COVID-19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Passage Bio Invests In Gene Therapy Manufacturing R&D Site - Contract Pharma - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 17th, 2020
- Though Promising, Gene Therapies Face Durability And Reimbursement Headwinds - Forbes - December 17th, 2020
- What is gene therapy? - The Star Online - December 17th, 2020
- They thought their gene therapy failed. Instead, it spawned a medical mystery - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Health Canada approves Zolgensma, the one-time gene therapy for pediatric patients with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) - Canada NewsWire - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Injection in One Eye Improves Vision in Both - Technology Networks - December 17th, 2020
- Locanabio Raises $100 Million to Advance RNA-Targeted Gene Therapies - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Worldwide Gene Therapy Industry to 2025 - Cancer is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share in the Indication Segment - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 17th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Set to Join Russell 2000 Index on December 21, 2020 - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Rare Disease Gene Therapy Market: Increasing cases of genetic diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Single gene therapy injection surprisingly boosts vision in both eyes - New Atlas - December 17th, 2020
- Freeline takes the haemophilia B gene therapy fight to Uniqure - Vantage - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia B Found Safe and Effective in First Phase III Trial - PRNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- ASH: UniQure/CSL hem B gene therapy curbs bleeding in phase 3even in patients with anti-AAV antibodies - FierceBiotech - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Analysis by Vector Type, Application, Region - Global Market Insights, Covid-19 Impact, Competition and Forecast to 2025 -... - December 14th, 2020
- Retinal Gene Therapy Market to Witness Sales Slump in Near Term Due to COVID-19; Long-term Outlook R - PharmiWeb.com - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy, Absolutely and For Real | In the Pipeline - Science Magazine - December 14th, 2020
- Treatment with Investigational LentiGlobin Gene Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease (bb1111) Results in Complete Elimination of SCD-Related Severe... - December 14th, 2020
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals in orbit after gene therapy read-out - - pharmaphorum - December 14th, 2020
- Bluebird trumpets long-term data from beta-thalassaemia gene therapy - - pharmaphorum - December 14th, 2020
- ASH 2020: Novel Gene Therapy Found to be Safe and Effective in Treatment of Hemophilia B - OncoZine - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Unexpectedly Improves Vision In Both Eyes Of Patients Suffering A Form Of Blindness - IFLScience - December 14th, 2020
- Innovative payment models to support cell and gene therapies on the rise - MedCity News - December 14th, 2020
- Better education needed to give patients improved understanding of gene therapies, new review highlights - University of Birmingham - December 14th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Market is Expected to Recover and Reach $6.84 Billion in 2023 - Forecast to 2030 - GlobeNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- Navigating the Complexities of AAV Scale-Up and Manufacturing - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - December 14th, 2020
- EdiGene Expands Management Team by Appointment of Head of US Subsidiary Dr. Bo Zhang and Head of Business Development Dr. Kehua Fan - Business Wire - December 14th, 2020
- New CSL gene therapy could trigger a stock rerating - The Australian Financial Review - October 19th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Size & Share Insights on Growing Applications by 2026 - re:Jerusalem - October 19th, 2020
- Gene Therapy: Healing remedy or harmful hoax? The Knight News - The Knight News - October 19th, 2020
- Polyplus-transfection presents latest solution portfolio for gene therapy market to Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's Meeting on the Mesa -... - October 19th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Receives Rare Pediatric Disease Designation and Orphan Drug Designation for TSHA-102 as a Treatment for Rett Syndrome - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Merck's New VirusExpress Platform Speeds Development of Cell and Gene Therapies - PharmiWeb.com - October 19th, 2020
- Axovant Gene Therapies Receives Rare Pediatric Disease Designation for AXO-AAV-GM2 for Tay-Sachs and Sandhoff Disease - GlobeNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Ori Biotech's new cell and gene therapy platform raises 23m - BusinessCloud - October 19th, 2020
- Foundation to Fight H-ABC, University of Massachusetts Medical School and Yale University Initiate Gene Therapy Study Targeting Cure for Rare Disease... - October 19th, 2020
- 5-Year-Old Girl, Being Treated In French Gene Therapy Trial, Dies In US - NDTV - October 19th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Libmeldy for the Treatment of Early-Onset Metachromatic Leukodystrophy (MLD) - GlobeNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Castle Creek Biosciences Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of FCX-013 Gene Therapy for Treatment of Moderate to Severe... - October 19th, 2020
- Longview family rallies around 3-year-old with rare, fatal genetic condition - Longview News-Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Child dies in US during gene therapy trial - The News International - October 19th, 2020
- Tag: Gene Therapy - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market Robust pace of Industry during 2018-2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Disruptive Technologies and Mature Regulatory Environment Vital for Cell Therapy Maturation - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Ori looks to advance closed cell therapy tech - BioProcess Insider - October 19th, 2020
- Histogen Appoints Moya Daniels as Executive Vice President and Head of Regulatory, Quality and Clinical Operations - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- EMA starts rapid review of Bluebird's gene therapy for rare disease CALD - - pharmaphorum - October 10th, 2020
- American Gene Technologies to Present at 2020 Virtual Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Unchained Labs launches the ultimate gene therapy tool; tackle AAV titer, empty/full ratio and more with Stunner! - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Smartphone-connected pacemaker devices, experimental gene therapy among top 10 innovations at annual event - BioWorld Online - October 10th, 2020
- CellGenix Completes Facility Expansion to Stay Ahead of the Increasing Demand for GMP Raw Materials - b3c newswire - October 10th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic Names Top 10 Medical Innovations; Sickle Cell Therapy Tops the List - HealthLeaders Media - October 10th, 2020
- Investigational Gene Therapy for Phenylketonuria Gets Fast Tracked - Monthly Prescribing Reference - October 10th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics to Present at the 2020 Cell & Gene Virtual Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Partners with Invitae to Enable Rapid Access to Genetic Testing and Earlier Diagnosis of Patients with CNS Disease for Rare and... - October 10th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market 2020 by industry trends, statistics, key companies growth and regional forecast - News by Decresearch - October 10th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics, Link Health and Pregene to develop and commercialize the ALLOB allogeneic bone cell therapy platform in China and Southeast Asia -... - October 10th, 2020
- Axovant to Participate in Upcoming October Conferences and Provide AXO-Lenti-PD Program Update the Morning of October 6th - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Investigational Gene Therapy Fast Tracked for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Monthly Prescribing Reference - October 10th, 2020
- Genprex to Present at the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's Virtual Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- Generation Bio to Present at 2020 Virtual Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Gyrolab AAVX Titer Kit Introduced to Support Cell and Gene Therapy Market - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Builds Experienced Executive Leadership Team to Advance Pipeline of Gene Therapies for Monogenic CNS Disease in Both Rare and... - September 2nd, 2020
- First Gene Therapy Products Approved in Brazil - Lexology - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to be worth USD 10 Billion by 2030, growing at an annualized rate of over 40% - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Additional Interim Results from Proof-of-Concept Study of OTL-203 for MPS-I - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- The Safety and Clinical Activity of Gene-engineered T-cell Therapy Targeting HPV-16 E7 in Epithelial Cancers - Pharmacy Times - September 2nd, 2020
- AGTC to Host Management Update on September 9 at 8:00 am ET to Discuss Planned Phase 2/3 XLRP Trial, Share Additional XLRP Data and Report Fourth... - September 2nd, 2020
- Qualitative Analysis and Competitive Industry, CCOVID-19 Scenario of Personalized Gene Therapy Treatment Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Sorrento Announces the Closing of Its Acquisition of SmartPharm to Build Next Generation G-MAB-Encoded Plasmid DNA For Cost-Efficient and In Vivo... - September 2nd, 2020
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020