This article was reviewed by Alvin Luk, PhD, MBA, CCRA
Results from two investigator-initiated studies demonstrate that a single intravitreal injection of rAAV2-ND4 (Neurophth Therapeutics Inc.) is associated with long-term safety and durable efficacy for improving vision in patients with Leber hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON), according to Alvin Luk, PhD, MBA, CCRA.
The research is comprised of a single center study including 9 patients followed for 75 to 90 months and a multicenter, international trial including 159 patients followed for up to 12 months, with observation ongoing.
Related: TANGO: Helping target genes produce more protein
Across the entire cohort, there were no serious or severe adverse events, and efficacy data showed that a majority of patients benefited with significant and sustained improvement in BCVA.
LHON is a rare inherited visual disorder that leads to bilateral vision loss and for which there is currently no effective treatment, said Luk. These 2 studies contain the largest and longest follow-up of patients treated withthis gene therapy. Based on the results, we are very excited about its potential impact for restoring vision and greater independence for patients with LHON.
Luk, the CEO at Neurophth Therapeutics Inc., noted gene therapy also is offering a positive impact on treatment.
The gene therapy restores function of the mitochondrial respiratory chain in retinal ganglion cells by delivering the NADH ubiquinone oxidoreductase subunit 4 (ND4) gene.
A series of preclinical studies confirmed that the intravitreal treatment resulted in targeted gene delivery and provided evidence of its safety.
Related: Gene therapy zeroes in as LHON treatment
Importantly, the confocal microscopy analysis confirms that rAAV2-ND4 reaches the targeted areas in the eyes where the pathological changes of LHON occur, Luk said. Therefore, providing support to the hypothesis that treatment with rAAV2-ND4 may alleviate the underlying cause of the vision loss in patients with LHON.
The clinical studies of rAAV2-ND4 gene therapy reported by Luk have been led by Bin Li, MD, PhD, Tongji Hospital, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China.
The first study was initiated in 2011. Known as SEE4 LHON (NCT01267422), it included 3 patients aged younger than 12 years who received 0.5 x 1010 vector genome (vg)/eye and six patients aged older than 12 years who were treated with a dose of 1.0 x 1010vg/eye.
According to investigators, the injections were given into 1 eye in an outpatient procedure and had a volume of 0.05 mL.
Although planned follow-up was initially for 12 months, 8 of the 9 patients have continued follow-up until today, Luk said.
Related: Study targets ocular damage from chronic intravitreal injections
According to Luk, there have been no late toxicities noted nor any abnormalities in intraocular pressure (IOP) in extensive laboratory testing, which includes assessments of hepatic, renal, and immune function.
Efficacy is being evaluated with measurement of the logarithm of the minimum angle of resolution (logMAR) in best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA).
Luk pointed out that at 3 months post-injection, 8 patients (89%) demonstrated improvement from baseline, and 6 of 9 patients (67%) maintained improvement at 3 years.
They also noted that the BCVA response was maintained at month 70 by 5 of the 6 responders who achieved a mean BCVA gain of 0.68 logMAR.
Patients in this study also benefited with some improvement in the untreated eye, Luk said. This kind of bilateral response was also seen in the second larger trial of this therapy and is consistent with observations by other groups working on gene therapy for this inherited eye disease.
Based on the encouraging results of SEE4LHON, a larger scale study named 4-HOPE was launched in 2017.
Related: Research targets precision dosing for gene, cell therapy
All patients were treated at three investigational sites in China and 10 patients are continuing follow-up at their local centers in Argentina.
Luk pointed out that the study enrolled 159 patients aged 6 years or older who received a unilateral injection with 1.0 x 1010 vg/eye.
The safety review showed there were no drug-related adverse events. Ocular hypertension was the most common adverse event that patients experienced, but it is related to the course of oral steroid treatment that is given in conjunction with the injection, Luk explained.
The IOP elevations are generally mild and resolve spontaneously once the steroid treatment is ended, he said.
Of the 159 enrolled patients, 106 had data available from a 12-month follow-up visit. Of the 106 patients, Luk noted that 63% showed an improvement from baseline BCVA with an average gain of 0.3 logMAR.
Related: Greater IOP-lowering with iStent inject
It is important to point out that the patients enrolled in this study represent a heterogenous group with a wide range of ages, time since diagnosis, and baseline BCVA values, Luk concluded. We would not be surprised to see even better efficacy results in a cohort enrolled using narrower inclusion criteria.
Luk noted some of the patients in the study also benefited with bilateral BCVA improvement.
Taking improvements ofinjected and noninjected eyes into consideration from baseline to 12 months post treatment, 43.7% patients who classified as legally blind by World Health Organizationcriteria ( > 1.3 logMAR) were recovered to low (> 0.5 to 1.3 logMAR) or normal ( 0.5 logMAR) vision.Read more by Lynda Charters
Alvin Luk, PhD, MBA, CCRAe:email@example.comLuk is an employee of Neurophth Therapeutics Inc, but has no other relevant financial interests to disclose.
- Gyrolab AAVX Titer Kit Introduced to Support Cell and Gene Therapy Market - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Builds Experienced Executive Leadership Team to Advance Pipeline of Gene Therapies for Monogenic CNS Disease in Both Rare and... - September 2nd, 2020
- First Gene Therapy Products Approved in Brazil - Lexology - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to be worth USD 10 Billion by 2030, growing at an annualized rate of over 40% - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Additional Interim Results from Proof-of-Concept Study of OTL-203 for MPS-I - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- The Safety and Clinical Activity of Gene-engineered T-cell Therapy Targeting HPV-16 E7 in Epithelial Cancers - Pharmacy Times - September 2nd, 2020
- AGTC to Host Management Update on September 9 at 8:00 am ET to Discuss Planned Phase 2/3 XLRP Trial, Share Additional XLRP Data and Report Fourth... - September 2nd, 2020
- Qualitative Analysis and Competitive Industry, CCOVID-19 Scenario of Personalized Gene Therapy Treatment Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Sorrento Announces the Closing of Its Acquisition of SmartPharm to Build Next Generation G-MAB-Encoded Plasmid DNA For Cost-Efficient and In Vivo... - September 2nd, 2020
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Helped Conner Run : Short Wave - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- Preparing for an influx of cell and gene therapy approvals - - pharmaphorum - August 10th, 2020
- Catalent's Harmans Site Approved To Manufacture AveXis' Gene Therapy - Contract Pharma - August 10th, 2020
- Sangamo and Novartis partner on gene therapies for autism - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 10th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy in Oncology Market 2020 Growth Statistics, New Opportunities, Competitive Outloo - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Detailed Information on Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | Sangamo, Spark Therapeutics, Dimension Therapeutics, Avalanche Bio,... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell & Gene Therapy Market Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Gene Therapy for Mucopolysaccharidosis Market Research Study 2020 Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological... - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Press Release - Digital... - August 9th, 2020
- Orgenesis Second Quarter 2020 Revenue Increases 55% Reflecting Progress of POCare Platform - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Regulatory Focus, July issue: Cell and gene therapy - Regulatory Focus - August 8th, 2020
- G-CON PODs Selected for Expression Therapeutics' Gene Therapy Manufacturing Facility - PR Web - August 8th, 2020
- CRISPR co-discoverer on the gene editor's pandemic push - Axios - August 8th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Provides Update on AbbVie Vectorized Antibody Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - August 8th, 2020
- What Is Gene Therapy? How Does It Work? | FDA - August 8th, 2020
- 112M Fund Launched to Commercialize UCLs Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - August 8th, 2020
- UK gene therapy pioneer tilts at $125m NASDAQ IPO - Business Weekly - August 7th, 2020
- Of mice and memories: Gene therapy study returns function in Alzheimer's mice - ABC News - August 7th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics Announces Results from Two Independent Phase 1/2 Trials of Autologous CD30 CAR-T Cell Therapy in Patients with Relapsed or... - August 7th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Latest Treatment Methodology 2020 to 2025 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces the establishment of its internal manufacturing facility for process development and scalable cGMP production of gene... - August 7th, 2020
- Regenxbio announces positive one-year data on wet AMD gene therapy - Seeking Alpha - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Forces Gene Therapy Companies to Shift... - Labiotech.eu - August 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies: For biotechs, collaboration is key to successful innovation - BioPharma Dive - August 5th, 2020
- The Time for DMD Gene Therapy is Now: A Chat with the MDA - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Beats the Blood-Brain Barrier To Cure Cat Disease - Technology Networks - August 5th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19 Gene Therapy Market - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- World-first gene therapy reverses Alzheimer's memory loss in mice - New Atlas - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to grow at an annualized rate of 45%, till 2030 - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Recognized for Fourth-straight Year as One of Philadelphia's Best Places to Work by the Philadelphia Business Journal - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- AGTC to Present at the Wedbush PacGrow Virtual Healthcare Conference on August 11, 2020 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Global Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market is estimated to Experience a Notable Rise in the coming era by Spark Therapeutics, Ultragenyx, Shire PLC,... - August 5th, 2020
- MEDIPAL HOLDINGS Partners with CRYOPORT to Bring Temperature-Controlled Supply Chain Solutions to the Japanese Market - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Can progenitor cells go further than gene therapy in retinal disorders? A biotech's answer shines in PhIIb - Endpoints News - August 4th, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand By Top Vendors JW CreaGene, Vericel, Tego Sciences, CHIESI... - August 4th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Gene Therapy for Ovarian Cancer Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Takara Bio, VBL... - August 4th, 2020
- Gene therapy reverses memory loss from Alzheimer's in mice - BioNews - August 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Gene Therapy Industry Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Express Journal - August 3rd, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Appoints Susanna High as Chief Operating Officer - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Industry Market with manufacturers, Application, regions and SWOT Analysis 2025 - CueReport - August 3rd, 2020
- Investing in Advanced Manufacturing to Support Public Health - FDA.gov - August 3rd, 2020
- Genetic Studies Could Pave the Way to New Pain Treatments - Pain News Network - August 3rd, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Development, Manufacture & License Agreement with Beam Therapeutics Inc., for LentiVector Platform for Next Generation... - August 3rd, 2020
- AZ partners with Daiichi on ADC therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Getting gene therapy to the brain | Penn Today - Penn Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Ocugen Granted FDA Orphan Drug Designation for OCU400 (AAV-hNR2E3) Gene Therapy for the Treatment of RHO Mutation-Associated Retinal Degenerative... - August 2nd, 2020
- Axovant Signs Three-Year Clinical Supply Agreement With Oxford Biomedica for Manufacturing and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market size in terms of volume and value 2019-2025 - Market Research Correspondent - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Professional Industry Overview 2020 Segmentation and Development Analysis BY 2027 - Science Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- Greenwich swimmers take the plunge to fight cancer - Greenwich Time - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Overview, Growth & Advancement to (2020-2025) - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Movers & Shakers, July 31 | BioSpace - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - Herald-Mail Media - August 2nd, 2020
- Catharpin mom helps raise national awareness for her young sons disease - WDVM 25 - August 2nd, 2020
- Spinraza-Zolgensma Combination Well-tolerated in Children with SMA... - SMA News Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Vineti and EVERSANA form strategic alliance to advance patient-centered services and supply chain automation for regenerative medicine - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Webcast Conference Call of Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Bill Swaney as VP of Manufacturing and the Construction of Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - Yahoo Finance - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Market Analysis by SWOT, Investment, Future Growth and Major Key Players 2020 to 2025 - Research Newspaper - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Tools, and Reagents: Global Markets - PRNewswire - August 1st, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - PharmiWeb.com - July 31st, 2020