Cell and gene therapies offer some of the most groundbreaking advancements in patient care the pharma industry has ever seen. However, to fully realise the potential of these innovative therapies, integration across the supply chain is critical particularly with reimbursement and logistics.
As of the end of 2019, there were 17 cell and gene therapy products approved by the FDA. Now, there is more momentum than ever to bring these innovative medicines to market, and the FDA anticipates that it will approve 10 to 20 cell and gene therapy products a year within the next five years.
These therapies can offer new opportunities to patients with conditions where there are few treatment options and no cures. But the potential these products offer could remain largely unrealised if manufacturers and their partners are not prepared. Cell and gene therapy innovators and other stakeholders across the supply chain need to set themselves up for the greatest chance of success by addressing three key challenges: access barriers; logistics; and the need for stakeholder education.
Addressing access barriers through innovative payment models
While cell and gene therapies offer novel treatment to patients who have limited options, the cost associated with each product anywhere between $375,000 and $2 million can create significant access barriers. This challenge is compounded compared to traditional treatments that typically require multiple doses, as many cell and gene therapies are one-time treatments.
This situation increases the risk for payers covering the cell and gene therapy, given that the long-term magnitude and durability of the product is not known at the time of first regulatory approval and patients switch insurance carriers throughout their lifetimes.
Stakeholders across the industry have recognised the increasing need to consider alternatives to the standard payment system if cell and gene therapies are to become widely available
Stakeholders across the industry, such as manufacturers and payers, have recognised the increasing need to consider alternatives to the standard payment system if cell and gene therapies are to become widely available. As a result, a variety of payment models have been discussed:
We have already begun to see payers and manufacturers of cell and gene therapies attempt to adopt alternative payment models for their products, and more should continue to do so as additional therapies come through the approval pipeline. With a range of interdependencies that affect the success of cell and gene therapies, manufacturers need to develop their reimbursement strategy early in the commercialisation process. Its critical for manufacturers to consider various payment models for cell and gene therapies ahead of approvals so that they can maximise patient access for their products.
Ensuring therapies reach their patients
Manufacturers have noted that the delivery of critical shipments is one of the biggest challenges facing the advanced therapy industry, as if you cannot connect cell and gene therapies with patients their efficacy is irrelevant. The inclusion of patients into the cell and gene therapy supply chain, the potentially life-altering impact of the therapies and their high cost leaves no room for failure.
These therapies require timely delivery and maintaining precise temperature control is integral for the patient and the product. It calls for near-perfect execution ranging from mapping the best transportation route and planning for multiple contingencies (such as closed international borders), to how the packaging itself is evaluated, validated and used to maintain product integrity in all conditions.
Successful execution of these processes requires both manufacturers and other supply chain partners to maintain a robust logistics platform. Currently, many manufacturers are developing different logistics plans for each of the stages of a clinical trial, only to find out these processes dont scale when it is time to commercialise. Developing a plan early that can scale will position a product for success as more therapies are reviewed and approved. Manufacturers need to work with their 3PL and distribution partners to ensure control and oversight throughout the product journey to the patient failure to do so will put patient outcomes and commercial success at risk.
Promoting stakeholder education
Many stakeholders spanning payers, providers and patients do not understand the full clinical, logistical, operational, financial or reimbursement components associated with cell and gene therapies. Manufacturers can leverage the preliminary data theyve gathered throughout their initial commercialisation journey to support education and awareness efforts with these key stakeholders.
As payers conduct product reviews earlier and earlier in the development lifecycle, their demand for pre-approval information continues to grow. However, recent research shows that a gap still exists between the evidence sought by healthcare decision makers and what is being shared by manufacturers. COVID-19 has also caused delays in providing information in a timely and relevant manner, causing even more challenges for stakeholders.
The use of Pre-approval Information Exchange (PIE) is one way to combat these challenges. PIE allows manufacturers to communicate ahead of approval to partners with accurate, and unbiased information on products or indications, and share information early that may result in a place saved at the table for their product. This information equips stakeholders with the education needed to understand a products value story and positioning. Partners embedded in the industry particularly those with a patient-centric focus can also offer manufacturers the information they need to showcase the value of these products to patients.
The cell and gene therapy space is continuing to evolve. Through analysing payment models, working with partners to navigate logistical challenges and leveraging data, patients will have more opportunities than ever to access the next generation of medicines. Overall, the collaboration between stakeholders across the supply chain will facilitate a world in which we see 10 to 20 cell and gene therapies not only approved each year but out in the market directly impacting patients.
About the authors
Alex Guite is vice president services and alliances at World Courier. As strategy and services lead, Alex is responsible for developing and executing key strategic initiatives.Before joining World Courier in 2013 as head of pricing, Alex spent nearly 3 years with Oliver Wyman as a consultant in the Health and Life Sciences practice.
Ana Stojanovska is vice president, reimbursement & policy insights at Xcenda. She has extensive practical knowledge in working with key stakeholders to motivate local coverage of new products by both public and private payers and providing strategic compendia analyses and ongoing coding support. Prior to Xcenda, Ana worked for a bipartisan, non-profit health policy organization in Washington DC, where she helped lead research, health policy analysis, media outreach, and fundraising.
- Gyrolab AAVX Titer Kit Introduced to Support Cell and Gene Therapy Market - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Builds Experienced Executive Leadership Team to Advance Pipeline of Gene Therapies for Monogenic CNS Disease in Both Rare and... - September 2nd, 2020
- First Gene Therapy Products Approved in Brazil - Lexology - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to be worth USD 10 Billion by 2030, growing at an annualized rate of over 40% - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Additional Interim Results from Proof-of-Concept Study of OTL-203 for MPS-I - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- The Safety and Clinical Activity of Gene-engineered T-cell Therapy Targeting HPV-16 E7 in Epithelial Cancers - Pharmacy Times - September 2nd, 2020
- AGTC to Host Management Update on September 9 at 8:00 am ET to Discuss Planned Phase 2/3 XLRP Trial, Share Additional XLRP Data and Report Fourth... - September 2nd, 2020
- Qualitative Analysis and Competitive Industry, CCOVID-19 Scenario of Personalized Gene Therapy Treatment Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Sorrento Announces the Closing of Its Acquisition of SmartPharm to Build Next Generation G-MAB-Encoded Plasmid DNA For Cost-Efficient and In Vivo... - September 2nd, 2020
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Helped Conner Run : Short Wave - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- Catalent's Harmans Site Approved To Manufacture AveXis' Gene Therapy - Contract Pharma - August 10th, 2020
- Sangamo and Novartis partner on gene therapies for autism - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 10th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy in Oncology Market 2020 Growth Statistics, New Opportunities, Competitive Outloo - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- Research shows promising results for LHON gene therapy - Ophthalmology Times - August 10th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Detailed Information on Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | Sangamo, Spark Therapeutics, Dimension Therapeutics, Avalanche Bio,... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell & Gene Therapy Market Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Gene Therapy for Mucopolysaccharidosis Market Research Study 2020 Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological... - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Press Release - Digital... - August 9th, 2020
- Orgenesis Second Quarter 2020 Revenue Increases 55% Reflecting Progress of POCare Platform - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Regulatory Focus, July issue: Cell and gene therapy - Regulatory Focus - August 8th, 2020
- G-CON PODs Selected for Expression Therapeutics' Gene Therapy Manufacturing Facility - PR Web - August 8th, 2020
- CRISPR co-discoverer on the gene editor's pandemic push - Axios - August 8th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Provides Update on AbbVie Vectorized Antibody Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - August 8th, 2020
- What Is Gene Therapy? How Does It Work? | FDA - August 8th, 2020
- 112M Fund Launched to Commercialize UCLs Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - August 8th, 2020
- UK gene therapy pioneer tilts at $125m NASDAQ IPO - Business Weekly - August 7th, 2020
- Of mice and memories: Gene therapy study returns function in Alzheimer's mice - ABC News - August 7th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics Announces Results from Two Independent Phase 1/2 Trials of Autologous CD30 CAR-T Cell Therapy in Patients with Relapsed or... - August 7th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Latest Treatment Methodology 2020 to 2025 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces the establishment of its internal manufacturing facility for process development and scalable cGMP production of gene... - August 7th, 2020
- Regenxbio announces positive one-year data on wet AMD gene therapy - Seeking Alpha - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Forces Gene Therapy Companies to Shift... - Labiotech.eu - August 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies: For biotechs, collaboration is key to successful innovation - BioPharma Dive - August 5th, 2020
- The Time for DMD Gene Therapy is Now: A Chat with the MDA - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Beats the Blood-Brain Barrier To Cure Cat Disease - Technology Networks - August 5th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19 Gene Therapy Market - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- World-first gene therapy reverses Alzheimer's memory loss in mice - New Atlas - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to grow at an annualized rate of 45%, till 2030 - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Recognized for Fourth-straight Year as One of Philadelphia's Best Places to Work by the Philadelphia Business Journal - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- AGTC to Present at the Wedbush PacGrow Virtual Healthcare Conference on August 11, 2020 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Global Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market is estimated to Experience a Notable Rise in the coming era by Spark Therapeutics, Ultragenyx, Shire PLC,... - August 5th, 2020
- MEDIPAL HOLDINGS Partners with CRYOPORT to Bring Temperature-Controlled Supply Chain Solutions to the Japanese Market - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Can progenitor cells go further than gene therapy in retinal disorders? A biotech's answer shines in PhIIb - Endpoints News - August 4th, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand By Top Vendors JW CreaGene, Vericel, Tego Sciences, CHIESI... - August 4th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Gene Therapy for Ovarian Cancer Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Takara Bio, VBL... - August 4th, 2020
- Gene therapy reverses memory loss from Alzheimer's in mice - BioNews - August 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Gene Therapy Industry Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Express Journal - August 3rd, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Appoints Susanna High as Chief Operating Officer - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Industry Market with manufacturers, Application, regions and SWOT Analysis 2025 - CueReport - August 3rd, 2020
- Investing in Advanced Manufacturing to Support Public Health - FDA.gov - August 3rd, 2020
- Genetic Studies Could Pave the Way to New Pain Treatments - Pain News Network - August 3rd, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Development, Manufacture & License Agreement with Beam Therapeutics Inc., for LentiVector Platform for Next Generation... - August 3rd, 2020
- AZ partners with Daiichi on ADC therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Getting gene therapy to the brain | Penn Today - Penn Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Ocugen Granted FDA Orphan Drug Designation for OCU400 (AAV-hNR2E3) Gene Therapy for the Treatment of RHO Mutation-Associated Retinal Degenerative... - August 2nd, 2020
- Axovant Signs Three-Year Clinical Supply Agreement With Oxford Biomedica for Manufacturing and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market size in terms of volume and value 2019-2025 - Market Research Correspondent - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Professional Industry Overview 2020 Segmentation and Development Analysis BY 2027 - Science Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- Greenwich swimmers take the plunge to fight cancer - Greenwich Time - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Overview, Growth & Advancement to (2020-2025) - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Movers & Shakers, July 31 | BioSpace - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - Herald-Mail Media - August 2nd, 2020
- Catharpin mom helps raise national awareness for her young sons disease - WDVM 25 - August 2nd, 2020
- Spinraza-Zolgensma Combination Well-tolerated in Children with SMA... - SMA News Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Vineti and EVERSANA form strategic alliance to advance patient-centered services and supply chain automation for regenerative medicine - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Webcast Conference Call of Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Bill Swaney as VP of Manufacturing and the Construction of Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - Yahoo Finance - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Market Analysis by SWOT, Investment, Future Growth and Major Key Players 2020 to 2025 - Research Newspaper - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Tools, and Reagents: Global Markets - PRNewswire - August 1st, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - PharmiWeb.com - July 31st, 2020