In January 2019, then-FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb ushered in the new year with a bold prediction: The agency, he said, would be approving between 10 and 20 gene and cell therapies per year by 2025. At the time, there were a whopping 800 such therapies in the biopharma pipeline and the FDA was aiming to hire 50 new clinical reviewers to handle the development of the products.
That momentum will no doubt start to pick up in 2020, as several companies in late-stage development of their gene and cell therapies achieve key milestones or FDA approval. Among the companies expected to make major strides in gene and cell therapies next year are Biomarin, with valoctocogene roxaparvovec to treat hemophilia A, Sarepta and its gene therapy for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, plus multiple players developing CAR-T treatments for cancer, including Bristol-Myers Squibb and Gilead.
But with such explosive growth comes challenges. Gene and cell therapies require enormous up-front investing in complex manufacturing processes, as well asinnovative approaches to securing insurance coverage for products that come with eye-popping price tagssuch as Novartis $2 million gene therapy Zolgensma to treat spinal muscular atrophy. Those are just a few of the obstacles that will be front-and-center in 2020 as more gene and cell therapies make their way towardthe finish line.
Simplify and Accelerate Drug R&D With the MarkLogic Data Hub Service for Pharma R&D
Researchers are often unable to access the information they need. And, even when data does get consolidated, researchers find it difficult to sift through it all and make sense of it in order to confidently draw the right conclusions and share the right results. Discover how to quickly and easily find, synthesize, and share informationaccelerating and improving R&D.
Pharma companies will face challenges figuring out how to incorporate gene and cell therapies into their overall business, said Michael Choy, partner and managing director at Boston Consulting Group, in an interview with FiercePharma. They dont fit well into the normal paradigms of budgeting and decision-making. They require a different pace of evolution and specialized expertise. For now, companies are shoe-horning gene therapies into their current model, but over the long-term there will have to be changes.
That will become increasingly clear in 2020 as both Big Pharma and small up-and-comers move towardthe clinic with their gene and cell therapies. John Zaia, M.D., director of the Center for Gene Therapy at City of Hope, predicts there will be at least three gene and cell therapy FDA approvals in 2020. He also expects to see momentum among companies seeking to improve on the technology to address unmet needs in medicine.
For example, Zaia believes off-the-shelf CAR-T cancer treatments will show promise in early studiesand will be met with enthusiasm in the cancer community, he told FiercePharma in an email. The first generation of FDA-approved CAR-T treatments, Novartis Kymriah and Gileads Yescarta, take several weeks to make because they require removing T cells from patients and engineering them to recognize and attack the patients'cancers. Several companies are advancing off-the-shelf CAR-T treatments, including Precision BioSciences, which has been building out a manufacturing plant equipped to make 10,000 doses per year.
RELATED: Biotech building facility to make genome-edited, off-the-shelf CAR-T therapies
Gene therapies for inherited diseases will make strides in 2020, too, Zaia predicts. City of Hope is one of the participants in a phase 1 study of CSL Behrings gene therapy to treat adults with sickle cell disease. CSL will be racing against several companies working on the disease, including Bluebird Bio, which is testing its beta thalassemia gene therapy Zynteglo in sickle cell. There is a big push from many research centers to cure sickle cell diseaseand early results with the use of gene therapy look very promising, Zaia said. Years of research is finally coming to realization.
With such robust R&D underway in gene and cell therapies, its no surprise several players are stepping up their investments in manufacturing. In October, Sanofi said it would retrofit a vaccine plant in France so it couldbe used for gene therapy manufacturing. Pfizer shelled out $19 million for a North Carolina facility that will serve as its manufacturing hub for gene therapies. Even Harvard University is getting into the game, working with a consortium of contract manufacturers to build a $50 million facility dedicated to making cell therapies and viral vectors for gene therapies.
But how will the healthcare system pay for all of these complex therapies? Its a question that will continue to dog the industry, BCGs Choy said. Theres a lot of interest in outcomes-based payments and payments over time, but the issue is theyre very difficult to implementbecause the infrastructure to track outcomes over time doesnt really exist, he said.
Still, payers and pharma companies are hinting at their willingness to put that infrastructure in place. Pfizer, which is developing DMD and hemophilia gene therapies, said recently its brainstorming with payers on innovative strategies for reimbursement. Novartis and Spark have already pioneered payment strategies that deviate from the standard pay-everything-up-front system. Novartis has some pay-for-performance contracts in place for the $475,000 Kymriah. And in September, Cigna agreed to cover Novartis Zolgensma and Sparks Luxturna on a per-month, per-member schedule.
RELATED: Novartis, Spark gene therapies win a boost with soup-to-nuts Cigna coverage
Despite the many challenges in cell and gene therapy, some players are showing theres likely to be a robust market for these innovative treatments. In its first quarter on the market, Zolgensma brought in $160 million in salesfar surpassing analysts expectations.
The promise of huge returns on gene and cell therapies will likely drive acquisitions in 2020, Choy predicted. These treatments are so transformative for patients, and as the clinical proof of effectiveness continues to grow, youre going to see a lot more deal-making in this area, he said.
Buyers will likely show a willingness to invest in early-stage gene and cell therapies, especially if they come with technology platforms that allow for the development of many follow-up products, Choy added. For these types of therapies, the lifecycles will be much shorter than they are for traditional pharmaceuticals, particularly for rare diseases, he said. If you administer a one-time therapy, that revenue peaks quite quickly and then drops off. So to have a sustainable revenue from a gene therapy business, you need to replace that, which requires managing a pipeline.
Judging from recent events in the burgeoning gene and cell therapy industry, the news flow in 2020 will be generated not just by the industrys largest players, but also by its upstarts. In December, Ferring Pharmaceuticals spinout FerGene turned heads with data showing that its gene therapy to treat non-muscle invasive bladder cancer eliminated tumors in more than half of participants in a phase 3 trial. And Gileads Kite Pharma just applied for FDA approval for its mantle cell lymphoma CAR-T, KTE-X19, based on a 93% overall response rate in a phase 2 trial.
There were 75 gene therapy clinical trials initiated in 2018, nearly doubling the trial starts of 2016momentum thats likely to continue next year, BCG said in a recent report. The scientific foundation is in place, BCG analysts concluded, but there is still much to do to deliver the full benefit of gene therapy to patients."
Continue reading here:
- The Wet AMD Gene Therapy Race - Adverum Biotechnologies Vs. Regenxbio - Seeking Alpha - June 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies - Lexology - May 28th, 2020
- Bicoastal startup Kriya Therapeutics to grow gene therapy manufacturing in NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 28th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 28th, 2020
- Troubleshooting the Development of New Gene Therapies - Technology Networks - May 28th, 2020
- Lab Mice Shed Fat and Build Muscle with Gene Therapy - The Great Courses Daily News - May 28th, 2020
- Reversing SHANK3 mutations in mice mitigates autism-like traits - Spectrum - May 28th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Present at Virtual Investor Conferences in June - Yahoo Finance UK - May 28th, 2020
- Gene Therapy market worldwide is projected to grow by US$3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2020
- Generation Bio tees up $125M IPO to push next-gen gene therapies - FierceBiotech - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2020
- Novartis' gene therapy approved in Europe, talks ongoing on price - BioPharma-Reporter.com - May 27th, 2020
- NOVASEP and LYSOGENE Announce their New Collaboration for Development and Production of GM1 Gangliosidosis Gene Therapy Product - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Evox Therapeutics Appoints Martin Andrews as Non-Executive Director - BioSpace - May 27th, 2020
- New Zolgensma 'inflection point' is here as Novartis snags EU nod for SMA gene therapy - FiercePharma - May 27th, 2020
- Gene therapy could help millions of ash trees fight deadly beetle Emerald Ash Borer - inews - May 27th, 2020
- Generation Bio Leads a Trio of Biotech Companies Aiming for the Nasdaq - Xconomy - May 27th, 2020
- European regulators accept FibroGen's anemia drug for review; Passage Bio's lead gene therapy gets more love from the FDA - Endpoints News - May 27th, 2020
- QPS Continues to Expand UPLC-HRMS Quantitation Capabilities to Support Gene Therapy and Protein Drug Development - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Novartis wins conditional EU approval for gene therapy Zolgensma - Reuters - May 19th, 2020
- The Roller Coaster of Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - May 19th, 2020
- Gene therapy reduces fat and builds muscle in mice - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- Forget ExerciseThese Mice Got Ripped With Gene Therapy - Singularity Hub - May 19th, 2020
- UPDATED: Pfizer gene therapy ups levels of dystrophin expression in Duchenne trial but another safety setback mars results - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Thermo Fisher to invest $180M in new gene therapy plant - BioPharma Dive - May 19th, 2020
- Beam Therapeutics Taking Novel Approach to Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- Gene-Therapy Treatments for Tay-Sachs, Sickle Cell to Be Featured in Online Gathering - Barron's - May 19th, 2020
- Sarepta And Dyno Therapeutics Will Develop Next-Gen Gene Therapy Vectors - Contract Pharma - May 19th, 2020
- New gene therapy cuts fat and builds muscle with ease. But theres a catch - Digital Trends - May 19th, 2020
- New Gene Therapy Promises You Will Get Ripped Without Stepping in a Gym - Interesting Engineering - May 19th, 2020
- Merck KGaA adds to gene therapy manufacturing boom with 100M facility in California - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Japan's health insurance to cover 167 million gene therapy drug - The Japan Times - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Gene Therapy Market Is Set To Experience Revolutionary Growth By 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Presents Data at Annual Meeting of American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy Demonstrating Cells Mobilized with MGTA-145 in a... - May 19th, 2020
- Passage Bio Announces Expansion of Gene Therapy Collaboration with University of Pennsylvania - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Orgenesis sees 1Q revenue rocket driven by its Cell and Gene Therapy Biotech platform - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - May 11th, 2020
- Gene therapy for follistatin mitigates systemic metabolic inflammation and post-traumatic arthritis in high-fat dietinduced obesity - Science Advances - May 11th, 2020
- BioMarin broadens its gene therapy horizons with a new R&D alliance in rare cardio cases - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- BioLife Solutions to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provide Business Update on May 14th, 2020 - Chinook Observer - May 11th, 2020
- Adverum soars on early gene therapy data; BerGenBio raises 45.4M on the heels of Covid-19 move - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- Neurophth Therapeutics Announces Presentations at ASGCT and ARVO Annual Meetings - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Genprex Enters Into Exclusive Worldwide Patent and Technology License Agreement for Combination of its TUSC2 Gene Therapy with Immunotherapies -... - May 11th, 2020
- Study suggests effective fat-reducing therapy - Tech Explorist - May 11th, 2020
- Senti Biosciences to Present on Gene Circuit-Based Therapies at the 2020 ASGCT Annual Meeting - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Hitachi Chemical Advanced Therapeutics Solutions and apceth Biopharma GmbH Enter into Strategic Clinical and Commercial Manufacturing Agreements with... - May 11th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Announces Virtual Poster Presentations for FX201, an Intra-Articular Gene Therapy Candidate for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis,... - May 11th, 2020
- UPDATE Amicus Therapeutics Announces Upcoming Presentations at the American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy 23rd Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- This Gene Is a Molecular "Knob" That Fine-tunes Our Cortex's Electrical Activity - Technology Networks - May 11th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Rare Disease Market 2020 Coronavirus (Covid-19) Business Impact 2026 Growth Trends by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,... - May 11th, 2020
- Can gene therapy help develop coronavirus vaccine? Researchers banking on this technology for breakthrough - MEAWW - May 11th, 2020
- A Tribute to Max Randell, Gene Therapy Pioneer - PLoS Blogs - April 27th, 2020
- Merck KGaA to spend $110M on new gene therapy facility in California - BioPharma Dive - April 27th, 2020
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Affinia Therapeutics Establish Multi-Year Collaboration to Discover and Develop Novel AAV Capsids for Genetic Therapies |... - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - Telangana Today - April 27th, 2020
- Regenxbio Is A Leader In Gene Therapies - A Case Where The Platform Is Worth More Than The Pipeline - Seeking Alpha - April 27th, 2020
- UK Startup to Manufacture Cell and Gene Therapies with... - Labiotech.eu - April 27th, 2020
- Sangamo- Early-Stage Progress in Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020
- Inclusive Comprehension 2020: Gene Therapy Market (Trending PDF) Addressing Structure, Scope, Potential, and Growth Prospects Till 2029 - Jewish Life... - April 27th, 2020
- Ziopharm Oncology to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Host a Conference Call and Webcast on May 7, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020
- Lysogene S.A. (EPA:LYS): When Will It Breakeven? - Simply Wall St - April 27th, 2020
- Diabetes reversed in mice with genetically edited stem cells derived from patients - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - April 27th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable... - April 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Gene Therapy Market 2019 Business Insights,Top Companies,Growth, Market Size Global Market Share, Trends, Outlook, Opportunity and... - April 27th, 2020
- Gene Therapy For Inherited Genetic Disorders Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma Could Be Successfully Treated With Gene Therapy - Technology Networks - April 26th, 2020
- Reversing diabetes with CRISPR and patient-derived stem cells - FierceBiotech - April 26th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- AskBio acquires BrainVectis to expand its gene therapy portfolio - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - April 26th, 2020
- 'We're really at a tipping point': COVID-19 brings research into other medical conditions to a grinding halt - CBC.ca - April 26th, 2020
- ThermoGenesis and ImmuneCyte Joint Venture Developing Several Convalescent Plasma and Antibody Therapeutic Approaches Against COVID-19, Featured on... - April 26th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market : Global Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Surfacing Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Frontotemporal Dementia With a GRN Mutation Gets Fast Track Status - Monthly Prescribing Reference - March 26th, 2020
- Redpin bags A round to advance Chantix-controlled gene therapies - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2020
- Vycellix and Avectas Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Avectas and Vycellix Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Codexis and Takeda partner on gene therapies for rare diseases - Pharmaceutical Technology - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Strengthens Leadership Team with the Appointment of Two Accomplished Life Science Executives - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Study reveals gene therapy may help in treating cardiac disease - The Siasat Daily - March 26th, 2020
- TCR therapy an attractive alternative to CAR T for immunotherapy - Drug Target Review - March 26th, 2020