NEW YORK (Reuters) - Novartis is in discussion with patient groups over its lottery-style free drug program for its multi-million-dollar gene therapy for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) after criticism that the process could be unfair to some babies with the deadly disease.
FILE PHOTO: The company's logo is seen at the new cell and gene therapy factory of Swiss drugmaker Novartis in Stein, Switzerland, November 28, 2019. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
The company said on Friday that it will be open to refining the process in the future, but it is not making any changes at this time. The program is for patients in countries where the medicine, called Zolgensma, is not yet approved for the rare genetic disorder, which can lead to death and profound physical disabilities.
At $2.1 million per patient, Zolgensma is the worlds costliest single-dose treatment.
Novartis said the program will open for submission on Jan. 2 and the first allocation of drugs would begin in February. Novartiss AveXis unit, which developed the drug, will give out 50 doses of the treatment through June for babies under 2 years old, it said on Thursday, with up to 100 total doses to be distributed through 2020.
Patient advocacy group SMA Europe had a conference call with the company on Friday, according to Kacper Rucinski, a board member of the patient and research group who was on the call.
There are a lot of ethical questions, a lot of design questions that need to be addresses. We will be trying to address them in January, Rucinski said. He said the program has no method of prioritizing who needs the treatment most, calling it a Russian roulette.
The company said it developed the plan with the help of bioethicists with an eye toward fairness.
This may feel like youre blindly passing it out, but it may be the best we can do, said Alan Regenberg, who is on the faculty at Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics and was not among the bioethicists Novartis consulted with on the decision. It may be impossible to separate people on the basis of prognosis out of the pool of kids under 2, he said.
According to Rucinski, the parties will continue their discussion in January to see what can be improved in the design of the program.
Novartis said on Thursday that because of manufacturing constraints it is focused on providing treatment to countries where the medicine is approved or pending approval. It has one licensed U.S. facility, with two plants due to come on line in 2020.
Zolgensma, hit by turmoil including data manipulation allegations and suspension of a trial over safety concerns, is the second SMA treatment, after Biogens Spinraza.
Not all of the SMA community are opposed to Novartis program.
Rajdeep Patgiri moved from the United Kingdom to the United States in April so his daughter could receive Zolgensma. She has responded well to the treatment, and Patgiri worries that negative attention to the program could keep patients from receiving the drug.
The best outcome for all patients would be if everybody could get the treatment. Given all the constraints, a lottery is probably the fairest way to determine who receives the treatment, he said.
Reporting by Michael Erman; Additional reporting by John Miller in Zurich; Editing by Leslie Adler
- The Wet AMD Gene Therapy Race - Adverum Biotechnologies Vs. Regenxbio - Seeking Alpha - June 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies - Lexology - May 28th, 2020
- Bicoastal startup Kriya Therapeutics to grow gene therapy manufacturing in NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 28th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 28th, 2020
- Troubleshooting the Development of New Gene Therapies - Technology Networks - May 28th, 2020
- Lab Mice Shed Fat and Build Muscle with Gene Therapy - The Great Courses Daily News - May 28th, 2020
- Reversing SHANK3 mutations in mice mitigates autism-like traits - Spectrum - May 28th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Present at Virtual Investor Conferences in June - Yahoo Finance UK - May 28th, 2020
- Gene Therapy market worldwide is projected to grow by US$3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2020
- Generation Bio tees up $125M IPO to push next-gen gene therapies - FierceBiotech - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2020
- Novartis' gene therapy approved in Europe, talks ongoing on price - BioPharma-Reporter.com - May 27th, 2020
- NOVASEP and LYSOGENE Announce their New Collaboration for Development and Production of GM1 Gangliosidosis Gene Therapy Product - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Evox Therapeutics Appoints Martin Andrews as Non-Executive Director - BioSpace - May 27th, 2020
- New Zolgensma 'inflection point' is here as Novartis snags EU nod for SMA gene therapy - FiercePharma - May 27th, 2020
- Gene therapy could help millions of ash trees fight deadly beetle Emerald Ash Borer - inews - May 27th, 2020
- Generation Bio Leads a Trio of Biotech Companies Aiming for the Nasdaq - Xconomy - May 27th, 2020
- European regulators accept FibroGen's anemia drug for review; Passage Bio's lead gene therapy gets more love from the FDA - Endpoints News - May 27th, 2020
- QPS Continues to Expand UPLC-HRMS Quantitation Capabilities to Support Gene Therapy and Protein Drug Development - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Novartis wins conditional EU approval for gene therapy Zolgensma - Reuters - May 19th, 2020
- The Roller Coaster of Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - May 19th, 2020
- Gene therapy reduces fat and builds muscle in mice - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- Forget ExerciseThese Mice Got Ripped With Gene Therapy - Singularity Hub - May 19th, 2020
- UPDATED: Pfizer gene therapy ups levels of dystrophin expression in Duchenne trial but another safety setback mars results - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Thermo Fisher to invest $180M in new gene therapy plant - BioPharma Dive - May 19th, 2020
- Beam Therapeutics Taking Novel Approach to Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- Gene-Therapy Treatments for Tay-Sachs, Sickle Cell to Be Featured in Online Gathering - Barron's - May 19th, 2020
- Sarepta And Dyno Therapeutics Will Develop Next-Gen Gene Therapy Vectors - Contract Pharma - May 19th, 2020
- New gene therapy cuts fat and builds muscle with ease. But theres a catch - Digital Trends - May 19th, 2020
- New Gene Therapy Promises You Will Get Ripped Without Stepping in a Gym - Interesting Engineering - May 19th, 2020
- Merck KGaA adds to gene therapy manufacturing boom with 100M facility in California - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Japan's health insurance to cover 167 million gene therapy drug - The Japan Times - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Gene Therapy Market Is Set To Experience Revolutionary Growth By 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Presents Data at Annual Meeting of American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy Demonstrating Cells Mobilized with MGTA-145 in a... - May 19th, 2020
- Passage Bio Announces Expansion of Gene Therapy Collaboration with University of Pennsylvania - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Orgenesis sees 1Q revenue rocket driven by its Cell and Gene Therapy Biotech platform - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - May 11th, 2020
- Gene therapy for follistatin mitigates systemic metabolic inflammation and post-traumatic arthritis in high-fat dietinduced obesity - Science Advances - May 11th, 2020
- BioMarin broadens its gene therapy horizons with a new R&D alliance in rare cardio cases - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- BioLife Solutions to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provide Business Update on May 14th, 2020 - Chinook Observer - May 11th, 2020
- Adverum soars on early gene therapy data; BerGenBio raises 45.4M on the heels of Covid-19 move - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- Neurophth Therapeutics Announces Presentations at ASGCT and ARVO Annual Meetings - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Genprex Enters Into Exclusive Worldwide Patent and Technology License Agreement for Combination of its TUSC2 Gene Therapy with Immunotherapies -... - May 11th, 2020
- Study suggests effective fat-reducing therapy - Tech Explorist - May 11th, 2020
- Senti Biosciences to Present on Gene Circuit-Based Therapies at the 2020 ASGCT Annual Meeting - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Hitachi Chemical Advanced Therapeutics Solutions and apceth Biopharma GmbH Enter into Strategic Clinical and Commercial Manufacturing Agreements with... - May 11th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Announces Virtual Poster Presentations for FX201, an Intra-Articular Gene Therapy Candidate for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis,... - May 11th, 2020
- UPDATE Amicus Therapeutics Announces Upcoming Presentations at the American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy 23rd Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- This Gene Is a Molecular "Knob" That Fine-tunes Our Cortex's Electrical Activity - Technology Networks - May 11th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Rare Disease Market 2020 Coronavirus (Covid-19) Business Impact 2026 Growth Trends by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,... - May 11th, 2020
- Can gene therapy help develop coronavirus vaccine? Researchers banking on this technology for breakthrough - MEAWW - May 11th, 2020
- A Tribute to Max Randell, Gene Therapy Pioneer - PLoS Blogs - April 27th, 2020
- Merck KGaA to spend $110M on new gene therapy facility in California - BioPharma Dive - April 27th, 2020
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Affinia Therapeutics Establish Multi-Year Collaboration to Discover and Develop Novel AAV Capsids for Genetic Therapies |... - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - Telangana Today - April 27th, 2020
- Regenxbio Is A Leader In Gene Therapies - A Case Where The Platform Is Worth More Than The Pipeline - Seeking Alpha - April 27th, 2020
- UK Startup to Manufacture Cell and Gene Therapies with... - Labiotech.eu - April 27th, 2020
- Sangamo- Early-Stage Progress in Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020
- Inclusive Comprehension 2020: Gene Therapy Market (Trending PDF) Addressing Structure, Scope, Potential, and Growth Prospects Till 2029 - Jewish Life... - April 27th, 2020
- Ziopharm Oncology to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Host a Conference Call and Webcast on May 7, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020
- Lysogene S.A. (EPA:LYS): When Will It Breakeven? - Simply Wall St - April 27th, 2020
- Diabetes reversed in mice with genetically edited stem cells derived from patients - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - April 27th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable... - April 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Gene Therapy Market 2019 Business Insights,Top Companies,Growth, Market Size Global Market Share, Trends, Outlook, Opportunity and... - April 27th, 2020
- Gene Therapy For Inherited Genetic Disorders Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma Could Be Successfully Treated With Gene Therapy - Technology Networks - April 26th, 2020
- Reversing diabetes with CRISPR and patient-derived stem cells - FierceBiotech - April 26th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- AskBio acquires BrainVectis to expand its gene therapy portfolio - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - April 26th, 2020
- 'We're really at a tipping point': COVID-19 brings research into other medical conditions to a grinding halt - CBC.ca - April 26th, 2020
- ThermoGenesis and ImmuneCyte Joint Venture Developing Several Convalescent Plasma and Antibody Therapeutic Approaches Against COVID-19, Featured on... - April 26th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market : Global Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Surfacing Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Frontotemporal Dementia With a GRN Mutation Gets Fast Track Status - Monthly Prescribing Reference - March 26th, 2020
- Redpin bags A round to advance Chantix-controlled gene therapies - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2020
- Vycellix and Avectas Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Avectas and Vycellix Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Codexis and Takeda partner on gene therapies for rare diseases - Pharmaceutical Technology - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Strengthens Leadership Team with the Appointment of Two Accomplished Life Science Executives - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Study reveals gene therapy may help in treating cardiac disease - The Siasat Daily - March 26th, 2020
- TCR therapy an attractive alternative to CAR T for immunotherapy - Drug Target Review - March 26th, 2020