On 19 November, the UK BioBeat19 summit goes to Stevenage to discuss the potential of cell and gene therapy and how to accelerate these transformational medicines.
Victoria Higgins of GSK and Miranda Weston-Smith from BioBeat spoke to two panellists who gave a sneak peek of their remarks and agree wholeheartedly that the discovery side and clinical side work best when they are teamed up.
Sophie Papa, an oncologist at Guys Cancer at Guys and St Thomas NHS Trust, and Aisha Hasan, a clinical development lead at GSK, both recognise the big challenge ahead for cell therapy researchers: to dial up efficacy and dial down toxicity.
Cell and gene therapies, with their remarkable potential to transform medicine, have seen some important but hard-won milestones: it took 20 years of combined academic and industry research to deliver the first gene therapy approval in 2016 and today there are two CAR-Ts approved for haematological malignancies.
Whilst CAR-Ts recognise proteins expressed on the tumour cell surface, making them ideal for targeting blood cancers, more complicated but with greater potential to address solid tumours are the gene modified TCR-T technologies.
These harness the power of T cells to specifically target and destroy tumours even on the inside of cells. TCR-Ts come with an additional level of complexity, but potentially open the door to a range of untreatable cancer types.
Looking at the TCR opportunity is where Sophie Papa sees the inherent trade-off between risk and benefit as an academic clinician whos now evaluating modified T-cell based therapies in clinical trials.
Sophie urges her peers to take courage. It is important to be brave and tolerant of certain toxicities. Academic clinicians and drug researchers need to work closely together to engage the regulators in early discussion, so that we can move cell therapies earlier in treatment schedules as soon as feasible.
Timing is critical to enable patients to be treated when they are physically fit so they can better tolerate these complex and potentially toxic treatments.
From her perspective, this is not an either/or, but an area where discussion and open dialogue will allow us to make the most of the opportunity. By allowing clinical academics to play a lead role in developing guidelines to manage patient safety, we can address legitimate concerns but not let them stand in the way of clinical development, she says.
Aisha brings the perspective of drug discovery and development and starts by asking what is in the realm of the possible from a design perspective.
She says: A superior T-cell therapy will require engineering approaches that enhance efficacy on one-end while also incorporating switches to minimise toxicity.
For example, in a counter-intuitive way, a T-cell with high-killing capacity actually can create dangerous levels of inflammation in the body, due to the rapid death of cancer cells. But the beauty of drug design opens up options:By building a switch within the engineered T-cells, researchers can inactivate the T-cells and prevent harm to the patient, says Aisha.
But this creative problem solving requires open dialogue between clinicians and pharma. Aisha says: The more we talk about clinical need and toxicity benchmarks, the more sophisticated we can be when developing the next generation of enhanced engineered cell therapies.
Theres no doubt that the challenges of delivering cell and gene therapy span the full spectrum of issues related to medicine development. However, the potential for both curative therapy and commercial opportunity is tremendous.
The scientific, clinical, technical, regulatory and commercial challenges are all surmountable when everyone in the ecosystem work together towards a shared goal, united by an unwavering focus on the patient.
Sophie and Aisha are speaking about the translational journey from science to bedside at the BioBeat19 summit.
The BioBeat19 summit on Accelerating cell and gene therapy, 1-6pm, Tuesday 19 November, GSK Stevenage. Guarantee your place by registering at http://www.biobeat19.org
- Gene Therapy for Frontotemporal Dementia With a GRN Mutation Gets Fast Track Status - Monthly Prescribing Reference - March 26th, 2020
- Redpin bags A round to advance Chantix-controlled gene therapies - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2020
- Vycellix and Avectas Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Avectas and Vycellix Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Codexis and Takeda partner on gene therapies for rare diseases - Pharmaceutical Technology - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Strengthens Leadership Team with the Appointment of Two Accomplished Life Science Executives - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Study reveals gene therapy may help in treating cardiac disease - The Siasat Daily - March 26th, 2020
- TCR therapy an attractive alternative to CAR T for immunotherapy - Drug Target Review - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Bolsters Board of Directors, Appoints Three Biotechnology and Healthcare Industry Leaders - Insurance News Net - March 26th, 2020
- 89bio Appoints Healthcare Industry Veteran Steven Altschuler, MD, as Chairman of the Board of Directors - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Boosting the Growth Worldwide: Cancer Gene Therapy Market Dynamics and Trends, Efficiencies Forecast 2025 - Daily Science - March 26th, 2020
- Serial child rapist sentenced to up to 126 years in jail; new gene therapy from UPMC could cure diabetes: Tod - PennLive - March 26th, 2020
- Visiongain Report Looks at Opportunities Within the $23bn Cell Therapy Technologies Market - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - March 16th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapies: Overcoming the Biggest Hurdles in... - Labiotech.eu - March 16th, 2020
- Almost 400 cell and gene therapies in US pipeline, finds report - European Pharmaceutical Review - March 16th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Peer-Reviewed Publication of HMI-102 Investigational Gene Therapy Demonstrating Restoration of Normal Metabolic Pathway... - March 16th, 2020
- Gene therapy giving Flames executive Snow hope in ALS fight - NHL.com - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Reverses Heart Failure in Mouse Model - Technology Networks - March 16th, 2020
- UAE's first gene therapy improves eyesight of two Emirati sisters - Gulf News - March 16th, 2020
- Construction of a replication-competent retroviral vector for expression of the VSV-G envelope glycoprotein for cancer gene therapy. - Physician's... - March 16th, 2020
- Week In Review: Nanjing Legend Files To Stage IPO In The U.S. - Seeking Alpha - March 16th, 2020
- Kuur Therapeutics Launches to Develop and Commercialize Off-the-shelf CAR-NKT Cell Therapies Targeting Hematological and Solid Tumors - Business Wire - March 16th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Is Successfully Treating a Common Form of Inherited Blindness - Singularity Hub - March 4th, 2020
- Biogen teams up with Sangamo in gene therapy deal worth up to $2.7B - MedCity News - March 4th, 2020
- Staff: Cell gene therapy sector needs reinforcements - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - March 4th, 2020
- CYTOO and AskBio Enter Research Agreement to Screen Gene Therapy Candidates for Rare Muscle Disorder - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Symbiosis on increased demand for viral vectors - BioPharma-Reporter.com - March 4th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Announces Investigational New Drug Application Active for PR006 for the Treatment of Frontotemporal Dementia with GRN Mutation |... - March 4th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Provides Clinical Advancement Update on PR001 for the Treatment of Parkinson's Disease with GBA1 mutationsCompany Will Present at... - March 4th, 2020
- Avectas and CCRM Announce Collaboration to Accelerate Development of Novel Technology for Cell Therapies - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- First-Year Lab Experience Gave This Student the Confidence to Aim for a Ph.D. - UVA Today - March 4th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Corporate Updates - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- How does gene therapy work? - Genetics Home Reference - NIH - February 24th, 2020
- Nationwide Childrens among hospitals leading the way in gene therapy - The Columbus Dispatch - February 24th, 2020
- BioMarin gene therapy won't need an AdComm as it nabs speedy FDA review - FierceBiotech - February 24th, 2020
- Gene therapy to halt rare form of sight loss - BBC News - February 24th, 2020
- With supply tight, Novartis readies gene therapy plant for production - BioPharma Dive - February 24th, 2020
- New Gene Therapies Institute Aims to Address Regulatory Barriers - HealthITAnalytics.com - February 24th, 2020
- Bluebird's gene therapy hits another delay, this time in the US - BioPharma Dive - February 24th, 2020
- First patient undergoes Luxturna gene therapy on NHS - PharmaTimes - February 24th, 2020
- First Patients Begin Gene Therapy Treatment for Blindness through NHS - Interesting Engineering - February 24th, 2020
- Spark R&D chief High exits in wake of Roche takeover - FierceBiotech - February 24th, 2020
- Why So Many Biotechs Are Scrambling to Develop a Drug for the Same Rare Disease - The Motley Fool - February 24th, 2020
- 3 Cancer Treatment Stocks to Buy Right Now - The Motley Fool - February 24th, 2020
- The Most Important Stock to Own Over the Next Decade - Nasdaq - February 24th, 2020
- FDA Continues Strong Support of Innovation in Development of Gene Therapy Products - FDA.gov - February 2nd, 2020
- Interpreting Sameness Gene Therapy Products Orphan Drug Regulations - FDA.gov - February 2nd, 2020
- Pfizer lays out gene therapy aspirations - BioPharma Dive - February 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry Outlook 2020-2024 - Strong Product Pipeline Gives Rise to Lucrative Growth Opportunities - P&T Community - February 2nd, 2020
- FDA guidance on gene therapies development and manufacturing - BioPharma-Reporter.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Devastation, then hope: Platteville baby first in state treated for rare condition after screening - Madison.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Studies target unilateral gene therapy injection - Ophthalmology Times - February 2nd, 2020
- Otonomy Presents Preclinical Results for GJB2 Gene Therapy Collaboration and Cisplatin Otoprotection Program - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Eyeing a trio of trial initiations, Jim Wilson's gene therapy startup woos Bruce Goldsmith from Deerfield as CEO - Endpoints News - February 2nd, 2020
- The FDA unveils a new regulatory framework to speed along gene therapies, rewarding the leading players - Endpoints News - February 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapies Make it to Clinical Trials - Discover Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Experimental Gene Therapy Shows Promise for Preventing and Treating Lou Gehrig's Disease in Mice - BioSpace - December 31st, 2019
- 2019: The year gene therapy came of age - INQUIRER.net - December 31st, 2019
- BLA Submitted for Gene Therapy to Treat Hemophilia A - Monthly Prescribing Reference - December 31st, 2019
- First Alzheimer's Disease Gene Therapy Human Study Provided by Maximum Life Foundation, Offers 10 Free Therapies for Qualifying Patients - Benzinga - December 31st, 2019
- Year in Review: Gene Therapy Technology and a Milestone 2019 for Medical Research - News18 - December 31st, 2019
- Gene therapy to conquering hepatitis C: A decade of medical breakthroughs - Business Standard - December 31st, 2019
- What were the biggest biopharma stories of 2019? - MedCity News - December 31st, 2019
- Global Gene Therapy Market 2019 Revenue, Opportunity, Forecast and Value Chain 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 31st, 2019
- Manufacturing: the next breakthrough in gene therapy - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Novartis in talks with patients upset about lottery-like gene therapy giveaway - Reuters - December 23rd, 2019
- Ring Therapeutics Launches to Expand Gene Therapy Viral Vector Options - Xconomy - December 23rd, 2019
- Gene Therapy for Sickle-Cell Anemia Looks Promisingbut It's Riddled With Controversy - Singularity Hub - December 23rd, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Dyno Therapeutics Launches to Improve Viral Vectors for Gene Therapy - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- New Gene Therapy Method May Open BRAVE New World in Parkinson's - Parkinson's News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- Pharma's gene and cell therapy ambitions will kick into high gear in 2020despite some major hurdles - FiercePharma - December 23rd, 2019
- Viewpoint: EU should take a lead in enforcing the corporate social responsibility of gene therapy manufacturers - Science Business - December 23rd, 2019
- Takeda Presents Data for Hemophilia A and B Gene Therapy Optimization - Hemophilia News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- GenScript Biotech to Host Global Forum on Cell and Gene Therapy and the Booming China Market During JPM Week - PRNewswire - December 23rd, 2019
- The gene therapy research that could save a family of four - News - The University of Sydney - December 23rd, 2019