As the number of U.S. spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) patients Zolgensma treats each quarter stabilizes, Novartis is counting on a set of inflection points for future growth. Now, it has one.
After a manufacturing-related delay, Novartis has won conditional approval in the EU for the one-time gene therapy to treat patients with a clinical diagnosis of SMA type 1 and others with up to three copies of the SMN2 backup gene, the company said Monday.
Zolgensmas EU label is different from the U.S. version. While its approved by the FDA to treat children less than 2 years of age, the EMA allows it in babies and young children who weigh up to 21 kilograms. According to a Pediatric Neuromuscular Clinical Research natural history study of SMA, almost all patients under the age of 5 will be under 21 kg.
Understanding the Importance of Crystallization Processes to Avoid Unnecessary Cost, Risk and Development Delays
A well-developed crystallization process can produce suitable particles that can facilitate consistent filtration, drying and formulation of the API and allow confident and reliable manufacturing of the final drug product, while avoiding unnecessary cost, risk and development delays.
The number of SMN2 genes determines the severity of the disease, with SMA type 1 the most severe form. The U.S. approval is for all SMA types, but the EU nod leaves out a small proportion of patients who could develop mild, late-onset type 3 or type 4 SMA. Patients with type 3 SMA, sometimes called Kugelberg-Welander disease, may have up to four copies of SMN2.
The difference could havemixed effectson Zolgensmas opportunity in the two territories. For existing patients already on Biogens Spinraza, Zolgensma could steal share from older patients in the EU. But for new patients, the FDA label enables the Novartis drug to reach more patients if diagnosis through newborn screening is widely adopted and patients are treated early.
Zolgensma has reached a steady state where it treats about 100 patients per quarter in the U.S., Novartis CEO Vas Narasimhan recently told investors. That translated into $170 million sales in the first quarter, a slight quarter-over-quarterdecline due to COVID-19. The companys expecting approvals in new countriesand new indications to be inflection points that will eventually propel the drug to blockbuster sales.
RELATED:The top 10 drug launches since 2017 | 7. Zolgensma
It had the first point in March with a Japanese nod, also for patients under 2 years old. Last week, the Japanese government approved Zolgensmas price at 167 million yen ($1.55 million), lower than its U.S. list price of $2.12 million.
In Europe, final pricing and reimbursement decisions will be determined at the local level, a spokesperson at Novartis AveXis gene therapy unit told FiercePharma. Cumulative healthcare costs per SMA patient are estimated at between 2.5 million to 4 million over the first 10 years, the company said.
Novartis said its working with European countries local regulators on an access program called Day One. Its designed to provide fast access to Zolgensma even before national pricing and reimbursement agreements are in place, a process that sometimes takes years. The program offers several options such as deferred payments and installment over years as well as outcomes-based rebates. The drug has been made available in France under the countrys Temporary Authorization for Use pathway, and access is expected shortly in Germany, the Swiss drugmaker said.
Beyond the already-approved intravenous version, Novartis is developing a formulation that delivers Zolgensma through an injection into the spinal canal so that it can reach older patients up to 5 years of age in the U.S. Its working with the FDA to resolve a partial clinical hold slapped on the high dose of the intrathecal formulation before it can file for an approval.
Currently, AveXis makes Zolgensma at its site in Libertyville, Illinois. It also has plants in Durham, North Carolina, and Longmont, Colorado. The latter two are expected to be licensed in 2021, the company spokesperson said, adding that it has no plans for a manufacturing facility in the EU at this point.
Continue reading here:
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Helped Conner Run : Short Wave - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- Preparing for an influx of cell and gene therapy approvals - - pharmaphorum - August 10th, 2020
- Catalent's Harmans Site Approved To Manufacture AveXis' Gene Therapy - Contract Pharma - August 10th, 2020
- Sangamo and Novartis partner on gene therapies for autism - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 10th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy in Oncology Market 2020 Growth Statistics, New Opportunities, Competitive Outloo - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- Research shows promising results for LHON gene therapy - Ophthalmology Times - August 10th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Detailed Information on Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | Sangamo, Spark Therapeutics, Dimension Therapeutics, Avalanche Bio,... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell & Gene Therapy Market Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Gene Therapy for Mucopolysaccharidosis Market Research Study 2020 Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological... - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Press Release - Digital... - August 9th, 2020
- Orgenesis Second Quarter 2020 Revenue Increases 55% Reflecting Progress of POCare Platform - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Regulatory Focus, July issue: Cell and gene therapy - Regulatory Focus - August 8th, 2020
- G-CON PODs Selected for Expression Therapeutics' Gene Therapy Manufacturing Facility - PR Web - August 8th, 2020
- CRISPR co-discoverer on the gene editor's pandemic push - Axios - August 8th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Provides Update on AbbVie Vectorized Antibody Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - August 8th, 2020
- What Is Gene Therapy? How Does It Work? | FDA - August 8th, 2020
- 112M Fund Launched to Commercialize UCLs Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - August 8th, 2020
- UK gene therapy pioneer tilts at $125m NASDAQ IPO - Business Weekly - August 7th, 2020
- Of mice and memories: Gene therapy study returns function in Alzheimer's mice - ABC News - August 7th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics Announces Results from Two Independent Phase 1/2 Trials of Autologous CD30 CAR-T Cell Therapy in Patients with Relapsed or... - August 7th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Latest Treatment Methodology 2020 to 2025 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces the establishment of its internal manufacturing facility for process development and scalable cGMP production of gene... - August 7th, 2020
- Regenxbio announces positive one-year data on wet AMD gene therapy - Seeking Alpha - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Forces Gene Therapy Companies to Shift... - Labiotech.eu - August 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies: For biotechs, collaboration is key to successful innovation - BioPharma Dive - August 5th, 2020
- The Time for DMD Gene Therapy is Now: A Chat with the MDA - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Beats the Blood-Brain Barrier To Cure Cat Disease - Technology Networks - August 5th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19 Gene Therapy Market - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- World-first gene therapy reverses Alzheimer's memory loss in mice - New Atlas - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to grow at an annualized rate of 45%, till 2030 - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Recognized for Fourth-straight Year as One of Philadelphia's Best Places to Work by the Philadelphia Business Journal - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- AGTC to Present at the Wedbush PacGrow Virtual Healthcare Conference on August 11, 2020 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Global Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market is estimated to Experience a Notable Rise in the coming era by Spark Therapeutics, Ultragenyx, Shire PLC,... - August 5th, 2020
- MEDIPAL HOLDINGS Partners with CRYOPORT to Bring Temperature-Controlled Supply Chain Solutions to the Japanese Market - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Can progenitor cells go further than gene therapy in retinal disorders? A biotech's answer shines in PhIIb - Endpoints News - August 4th, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand By Top Vendors JW CreaGene, Vericel, Tego Sciences, CHIESI... - August 4th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Gene Therapy for Ovarian Cancer Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Takara Bio, VBL... - August 4th, 2020
- Gene therapy reverses memory loss from Alzheimer's in mice - BioNews - August 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Gene Therapy Industry Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Express Journal - August 3rd, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Appoints Susanna High as Chief Operating Officer - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Industry Market with manufacturers, Application, regions and SWOT Analysis 2025 - CueReport - August 3rd, 2020
- Investing in Advanced Manufacturing to Support Public Health - FDA.gov - August 3rd, 2020
- Genetic Studies Could Pave the Way to New Pain Treatments - Pain News Network - August 3rd, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Development, Manufacture & License Agreement with Beam Therapeutics Inc., for LentiVector Platform for Next Generation... - August 3rd, 2020
- AZ partners with Daiichi on ADC therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Getting gene therapy to the brain | Penn Today - Penn Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Ocugen Granted FDA Orphan Drug Designation for OCU400 (AAV-hNR2E3) Gene Therapy for the Treatment of RHO Mutation-Associated Retinal Degenerative... - August 2nd, 2020
- Axovant Signs Three-Year Clinical Supply Agreement With Oxford Biomedica for Manufacturing and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market size in terms of volume and value 2019-2025 - Market Research Correspondent - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Professional Industry Overview 2020 Segmentation and Development Analysis BY 2027 - Science Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- Greenwich swimmers take the plunge to fight cancer - Greenwich Time - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Overview, Growth & Advancement to (2020-2025) - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Movers & Shakers, July 31 | BioSpace - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - Herald-Mail Media - August 2nd, 2020
- Catharpin mom helps raise national awareness for her young sons disease - WDVM 25 - August 2nd, 2020
- Spinraza-Zolgensma Combination Well-tolerated in Children with SMA... - SMA News Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Vineti and EVERSANA form strategic alliance to advance patient-centered services and supply chain automation for regenerative medicine - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Webcast Conference Call of Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Bill Swaney as VP of Manufacturing and the Construction of Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - Yahoo Finance - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Market Analysis by SWOT, Investment, Future Growth and Major Key Players 2020 to 2025 - Research Newspaper - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Tools, and Reagents: Global Markets - PRNewswire - August 1st, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - PharmiWeb.com - July 31st, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Bill Swaney as VP of Manufacturing and the Construction of Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - BioSpace - July 31st, 2020
- CPI, the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult and MicrofluidX announce development of technology to rapidly scale up cell and gene therapy manufacture -... - July 31st, 2020
- Navigating Complexity in Oncology Cell and Gene Therapy Clinical Trials - Clinical OMICs News - July 31st, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Webcast Conference Call of Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results - BioSpace - July 31st, 2020
- Genprex CEO Participates in a Second-Round Live Interview on the Big Biz Show - Business Wire - July 31st, 2020
- Ongoing Trial Assesses New Anti-VEGF Gene Therapy Injection for nAMD - MD Magazine - July 30th, 2020
- Increasing Government Investments and Favorable Policies to Aid the Growth of the Cancer Gene Therapy Market2020 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Tools, and Reagents: Global Markets - cnweekly - July 30th, 2020
- Consumer Demand for Eco-friendly Products Set to Boost the Prospects of the Cancer Gene Therapy Market2020 - Owned - July 30th, 2020