Trying to hack fitness is a multi-million-dollar industry; weve all seen at least one ad featuring a purported miracle product that claims it can make people lose weight and look greatwithout even trying. From low-effort exercise machines to strange-ingredient diets to fat-burning belts and bands, theres no shortage of attempts to make it easy to be fit.
A gene therapy trial performed on mice may foreshadow yet another way to hack fitness. In a study done by a team at Washington University in St. Louis medical school, mice quickly built muscle mass and reduced obesity after receiving the therapy, even while eating a diet high in fat and not exercising. The results were published last week in a paper in Science Advances.
Sound appealing? Heres how it worked.
The gene targeted was FST, which is responsible for making a protein called follistatin. In humans and most other mammals, follistatin helps grow muscle and control metabolism by blocking a protein called myostatin, which acts to restrain muscle growth and ensure muscles dont get too big.
The researchers injected eight-week-old mice with a virus carrying a healthy FST gene (gene therapy involves adding healthy copies of a gene to cells, usually using a virus as a deliveryman).
Over a period of 18 weeks, or about 4 months, the team observed that the muscle mass of the treated mice more than doubled, as did their strength level. They also experienced reduced damage related to osteoarthritis, less inflammation in their joints, and had healthier hearts and blood vessels than mice that didnt receive the gene therapyeven though all the mice ate the same high-fat diet and did the same amount of exercise.
Going into the study, the researchers worried the muscle growth catalyzed by the gene therapy could harm the heart, mainly through thickening of the hearts walls. Surprisingly, though, heart function and cardiovascular health of the treated mice actually improved. In subsequent studies, the team will continue to monitor the treatments effect on the heart, as complications could emerge over time.
Talk about a fitness hack; imagine being able to build muscle and maintain a healthy metabolism while lounging on the couch eating burgers and fries. There have been similar studies to replicate the effects of exercise by commandeering the genetic instructions that control the way cells interact with proteins; though various exercise pills have successfully mimicked the effects of regular cardiovascular activity in mice, scientists still dont fully understand how, at a molecular level, exercise has the effects it does on the human body.
This may change in the next couple years, though; a National Institutes of Health consortium called the Molecular Transducers of Physical Activity is in the midst of an in-depth study on the molecular effects of exercise on tissues and organs in 3,000 people.
If the muscle-building gene therapy eventually reaches a point where it can be used in humans, though, the research team isnt viewing it as a quick-fix health hack. Rather, it would be used to help get people with conditions like muscular dystrophy or severe obesity to a baseline from which they could adopt tried-and-true muscle-building practices like weight lifting or physical therapy.
In cases of severe obesity or muscle loss, it is extremely difficultif not impossibleto lose weight or improve muscle strength through normal exercise and diet, said Farshid Guilak, orthopedic surgery professor and director of research at Shriners Hospitals for Children in St. Louis. The goal of this study was to show the importance of muscle strength in overriding many of the harmful effects of obesity on the joint.
If every condition, process, and trait in our bodies is tightly linked to our genes, its conceivable that almost any aspect of our health could be manipulated using gene therapy and related tools. Maybe one day there will indeed be a pill we can take or a shot we can get to give us svelte, muscular bodies without any of the effort.
The fact that this would ruin the pleasure and satisfaction of a good workout is another conversationand one not everybody would be interested in having. But even if genetic or chemical exercise-replacement tools become safe to use in humans in the foreseeable future, theyll likely be limited, at least at first, to those who need them due to debilitating health conditions.
That saidfor the time being, keep hitting the treadmill, the weight room, or your other off-the-couch, effort-intensive workout of choice.
Image Credit: Aberro Creative from Pixabay
Go here to read the rest:
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Helped Conner Run : Short Wave - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- Preparing for an influx of cell and gene therapy approvals - - pharmaphorum - August 10th, 2020
- Catalent's Harmans Site Approved To Manufacture AveXis' Gene Therapy - Contract Pharma - August 10th, 2020
- Sangamo and Novartis partner on gene therapies for autism - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 10th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy in Oncology Market 2020 Growth Statistics, New Opportunities, Competitive Outloo - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- Research shows promising results for LHON gene therapy - Ophthalmology Times - August 10th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Detailed Information on Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | Sangamo, Spark Therapeutics, Dimension Therapeutics, Avalanche Bio,... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell & Gene Therapy Market Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Gene Therapy for Mucopolysaccharidosis Market Research Study 2020 Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological... - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Press Release - Digital... - August 9th, 2020
- Orgenesis Second Quarter 2020 Revenue Increases 55% Reflecting Progress of POCare Platform - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Regulatory Focus, July issue: Cell and gene therapy - Regulatory Focus - August 8th, 2020
- G-CON PODs Selected for Expression Therapeutics' Gene Therapy Manufacturing Facility - PR Web - August 8th, 2020
- CRISPR co-discoverer on the gene editor's pandemic push - Axios - August 8th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Provides Update on AbbVie Vectorized Antibody Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - August 8th, 2020
- What Is Gene Therapy? How Does It Work? | FDA - August 8th, 2020
- 112M Fund Launched to Commercialize UCLs Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - August 8th, 2020
- UK gene therapy pioneer tilts at $125m NASDAQ IPO - Business Weekly - August 7th, 2020
- Of mice and memories: Gene therapy study returns function in Alzheimer's mice - ABC News - August 7th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics Announces Results from Two Independent Phase 1/2 Trials of Autologous CD30 CAR-T Cell Therapy in Patients with Relapsed or... - August 7th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Latest Treatment Methodology 2020 to 2025 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces the establishment of its internal manufacturing facility for process development and scalable cGMP production of gene... - August 7th, 2020
- Regenxbio announces positive one-year data on wet AMD gene therapy - Seeking Alpha - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Forces Gene Therapy Companies to Shift... - Labiotech.eu - August 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies: For biotechs, collaboration is key to successful innovation - BioPharma Dive - August 5th, 2020
- The Time for DMD Gene Therapy is Now: A Chat with the MDA - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Beats the Blood-Brain Barrier To Cure Cat Disease - Technology Networks - August 5th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19 Gene Therapy Market - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- World-first gene therapy reverses Alzheimer's memory loss in mice - New Atlas - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to grow at an annualized rate of 45%, till 2030 - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Recognized for Fourth-straight Year as One of Philadelphia's Best Places to Work by the Philadelphia Business Journal - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- AGTC to Present at the Wedbush PacGrow Virtual Healthcare Conference on August 11, 2020 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Global Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market is estimated to Experience a Notable Rise in the coming era by Spark Therapeutics, Ultragenyx, Shire PLC,... - August 5th, 2020
- MEDIPAL HOLDINGS Partners with CRYOPORT to Bring Temperature-Controlled Supply Chain Solutions to the Japanese Market - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Can progenitor cells go further than gene therapy in retinal disorders? A biotech's answer shines in PhIIb - Endpoints News - August 4th, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand By Top Vendors JW CreaGene, Vericel, Tego Sciences, CHIESI... - August 4th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Gene Therapy for Ovarian Cancer Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Takara Bio, VBL... - August 4th, 2020
- Gene therapy reverses memory loss from Alzheimer's in mice - BioNews - August 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Gene Therapy Industry Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Express Journal - August 3rd, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Appoints Susanna High as Chief Operating Officer - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Industry Market with manufacturers, Application, regions and SWOT Analysis 2025 - CueReport - August 3rd, 2020
- Investing in Advanced Manufacturing to Support Public Health - FDA.gov - August 3rd, 2020
- Genetic Studies Could Pave the Way to New Pain Treatments - Pain News Network - August 3rd, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Development, Manufacture & License Agreement with Beam Therapeutics Inc., for LentiVector Platform for Next Generation... - August 3rd, 2020
- AZ partners with Daiichi on ADC therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Getting gene therapy to the brain | Penn Today - Penn Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Ocugen Granted FDA Orphan Drug Designation for OCU400 (AAV-hNR2E3) Gene Therapy for the Treatment of RHO Mutation-Associated Retinal Degenerative... - August 2nd, 2020
- Axovant Signs Three-Year Clinical Supply Agreement With Oxford Biomedica for Manufacturing and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market size in terms of volume and value 2019-2025 - Market Research Correspondent - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Professional Industry Overview 2020 Segmentation and Development Analysis BY 2027 - Science Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- Greenwich swimmers take the plunge to fight cancer - Greenwich Time - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Overview, Growth & Advancement to (2020-2025) - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Movers & Shakers, July 31 | BioSpace - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - Herald-Mail Media - August 2nd, 2020
- Catharpin mom helps raise national awareness for her young sons disease - WDVM 25 - August 2nd, 2020
- Spinraza-Zolgensma Combination Well-tolerated in Children with SMA... - SMA News Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Vineti and EVERSANA form strategic alliance to advance patient-centered services and supply chain automation for regenerative medicine - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Webcast Conference Call of Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Bill Swaney as VP of Manufacturing and the Construction of Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - Yahoo Finance - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Market Analysis by SWOT, Investment, Future Growth and Major Key Players 2020 to 2025 - Research Newspaper - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Tools, and Reagents: Global Markets - PRNewswire - August 1st, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - PharmiWeb.com - July 31st, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Bill Swaney as VP of Manufacturing and the Construction of Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - BioSpace - July 31st, 2020
- CPI, the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult and MicrofluidX announce development of technology to rapidly scale up cell and gene therapy manufacture -... - July 31st, 2020
- Navigating Complexity in Oncology Cell and Gene Therapy Clinical Trials - Clinical OMICs News - July 31st, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Webcast Conference Call of Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results - BioSpace - July 31st, 2020
- Genprex CEO Participates in a Second-Round Live Interview on the Big Biz Show - Business Wire - July 31st, 2020
- Ongoing Trial Assesses New Anti-VEGF Gene Therapy Injection for nAMD - MD Magazine - July 30th, 2020
- Increasing Government Investments and Favorable Policies to Aid the Growth of the Cancer Gene Therapy Market2020 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Tools, and Reagents: Global Markets - cnweekly - July 30th, 2020
- Consumer Demand for Eco-friendly Products Set to Boost the Prospects of the Cancer Gene Therapy Market2020 - Owned - July 30th, 2020