COLUMBUS, Ohio, Feb. 16, 2021 /PRNewswire/ --Forge Biologics Inc., a fully integrated clinical stage gene therapy manufacturing and development company, today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Fast Track, Orphan Drug, and Rare Pediatric Disease (RPD) designations to FBX-101 for the treatment of patients with Krabbe disease. Forge is now actively recruiting patients for enrollment in the RESKUE phase 1/2 clinical trial of FBX-101, a novel, first-in-human AAV gene therapy for the disease. FBX-101 is the first intraveniousgene therapy program for patients with Krabbe disease and marks a major step forward in building out the company's hybrid model as a gene therapy manufacturing and development engine.
"FDA's decision to grant these designations to our first-in-human investigational gene therapy highlights the urgency of developing a treatment for Krabbe patients," said Timothy J. Miller, Ph.D., CEO, President and Co-Founder of Forge Biologics. "Krabbe is a devastating disease, and it is imperative to develop treatment options like FBX-101 that may address all manifestations of the disease."
Fast Track Designation is given when the FDA determines that a drug demonstrates the potential to address unmet medical needs for a serious or life-threatening disease or condition. This designation is intended to facilitate development and expedite review of drugs to treat serious and life-threatening conditions, and may also allow for priority or rolling review of a company's Biologics License Application (BLA).
The FDA grants Orphan Drug designation to drugs and biological products intended for the treatment of patients with rare diseases that affect fewer than 200,000 people in the United States. RPD designation is granted by the FDA to encourage treatments for serious or life-threatening diseases primarily affecting children 18 years of age and younger and fewer than 200,000 people in the United States. On December 27, 2020, the Rare Pediatric Disease Priority Review Voucher Program was extended by Congress after it was scheduled to sunset in 2020. Under the newly extended RPD program, if FBX-101 is approved by the FDA, Forge Biologics will qualify for a voucher that can be redeemed to receive a priority review of a subsequent marketing application for a different product.
"Infantile Krabbe is a progressive and devastating leukodystrophy," said Jessie Barnum, M.D., AssistantProfessor,Department of Pediatrics,Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation and Cellular Therapies and Principal Investigator of the FBX-101 trial at UMPC. "FBX-101 is an AAV gene therapy that has shown promising preclinical efficacy in Krabbe animal models of disease by extending survival and improving neuromuscular function when administered early in the disease course."
"The FBX-101 preclinical data brings a new wave of hope to the Krabbe community," said Anna Grantham, Director of Leukodystrophy Care Network Programs at Hunter's Hope. "These FDA designations for FBX-101 underscore a beautiful and collective effort to accelerate the timelines of bringing this potential therapy to patients who urgently need them."
"To see a promising new treatment for Krabbe receive these designations so quickly brings us one step closer to what everyone in our disease community is ultimately working towards: an FDA-approved treatmentfor Krabbe disease to reach the beside of all patients impacted by this disease," said Stacy Pike-Langenfeld, Director of Programs and Administration at The Legacy of Angels Foundation. "Our mission has always been to promote research to develop and enhance treatments for Krabbe disease, so it's very encouraging to see that Forge and FBX-101 have made so much progress in such a short amount of time."
Patients and families can learn more about clinical trials for FBX-101 by visiting https://www.forgebiologics.com/science/#krabbe.
About Krabbe diseaseKrabbe disease is a rare, inherited leukodystrophy affecting approximately 1:12,500 - 100,000 people in the U.S.A. Krabbe disease is caused by loss-of-function mutations in the galactosylceramidase (GALC) gene, a lysosomal enzyme responsible for the breakdown of certain types of lipids such as psychosine. Without functional GALC, psychosine accumulates to toxic levels in cells. The psychosine toxicity is most severe in the myelin cells surrounding the nerves in the brain and in the peripheral nervous system, eventually leading to the death of these cells. The disease initially manifests as physical delays in development, muscle weakness and irritability and advances rapidly to difficulty swallowing, breathing problems, cognitive, vision and hearing loss. Early onset or "Infantile", Krabbe disease cases usually results in death by age 2-4 years, while later onset or "Late Infantile" cases have a more variable course of progressive decline. There is currently no approved treatment for Krabbe disease.
About FBX-101Forge is developing FBX-101 to treat patients with infantile Krabbe disease. FBX-101 is an adeno-associated viral (AAV) gene therapy that is delivered after a hematopoietic stem cell transplant. FBX-101 delivers a functional copy of the GALC gene to cells in both the central and peripheral nervous system. FBX-101 has been shown to functionally correct the central and peripheral neuropathy and correct the behavioral impairments associated with Krabbe disease in animal models, and to drastically improve the lifespan of treated animals. This approach has the potential to overcome some of the immunological safety challenges observed in traditional AAV gene therapies.
About Forge BiologicsForge Biologics is a hybrid gene therapy contract manufacturing and therapeutic development company. Forge's mission is to enable access to life changing gene therapies and help bring them from idea into reality. Forge has a 175,000 ft2 facility in Columbus, Ohio, "The Hearth", to serve as their headquarters. The Hearth is the home of a custom-designed cGMP facility dedicated to AAV viral vector manufacturing and will host end-to-end manufacturing services to accelerate gene therapy programs from preclinical through clinical and commercial stage manufacturing.By taking a patients-first approach, Forge aims to accelerate the timelines of these transformative medicines for those who need them the most.
For more information, please visit https://www.forgebiologics.com.
Patient, Pediatrician, Genetic Counselors & Family InquiriesDr. Maria EscolarChief Medical OfficerForge Biologics Inc.email@example.com
Media Inquiries:Dan SalvoDirector of Communications and Community DevelopmentForge Biologics Inc.firstname.lastname@example.org
Investor Relations and Business DevelopmentChristina PerryVice President, Finance and OperationsForge Biologics Inc.Investors@forgebiologics.com
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/forge-biologics-receives-fda-fast-track-orphan-drug-and-rare-pediatric-disease-designations-for-fbx-101-gene-therapy-for-patients-with-krabbe-disease-301228668.html
SOURCE Forge Biologics
- At FDA meeting, gene therapy experts wrestle with field's blindspots - BioPharma Dive - September 5th, 2021
- Astellas again hits pause on gene therapy trial - BioPharma Dive - September 5th, 2021
- Joe Rogan falsely says mRNA vaccines are 'gene therapy' - PolitiFact - September 5th, 2021
- Connecticuts Children first to enroll affordable gene therapy - WTNH.com - September 5th, 2021
- Cell And Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Size Worth $57.4 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2021
- Global Gene Therapy Market Top Companies, Size, Growth Analysis, Segmentation, Industry Outlook Analysis , and Forecast 2020 to 2027 UNLV The Rebel... - September 5th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine 2021: report highlights record year for the sector - Clinical Trials Arena - September 5th, 2021
- Science Will Win Podcast: Season 1 - Pfizer - September 5th, 2021
- GenSight Biologics Announces Publication of RESTORE Study Data Demonstrating Sustained Efficacy 3 Years After Unilateral Injection of LUMEVOQ -... - September 5th, 2021
- Novartis, Gates Foundation pursue a simpler gene therapy for sickle cell - STAT - February 17th, 2021
- Affinia Therapeutics Announces Addition of Gene Therapy Scientific and Medical Experts to Leadership Team to Advance Novel Gene Therapy Platform and... - February 17th, 2021
- Avance Biosciences Expanding Houston Campus in Support of Cell and Gene Therapy Drug Development - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Sensorion and Institut Pasteur announce new gene therapy collaboration - BioPharma-Reporter.com - February 17th, 2021
- Gene Therapy GS010 Safe, Well-Tolerated for LHON Patients - MD Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- bluebird bio 'baffled' after NICE rejects beta-thalassaemia gene therapy - - pharmaphorum - February 17th, 2021
- Global Gene Therapy Market Outlook to 2030 - by Therapeutic Approach, Type of Gene Therapy, Type of Vectors Used, Therapeutic Areas, Route of... - February 17th, 2021
- GenSight Biologics' gene therapy proves safe in LHON trial - Clinical Trials Arena - February 17th, 2021
- Sio Gene Therapies to Present at the 10th Annual SVB Leerink Global Healthcare Conference - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Beti-Cel Gene Therapy Frees Patients With Beta-Thalassemia From Red Blood Cell Transfusions - OncLive - February 17th, 2021
- CDMO Vigene plots cell and gene therapy manufacturing expansion, adding 245 new jobs along the way - FiercePharma - February 17th, 2021
- Taysha Gene Therapies Announces Formation of Independent Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- bluebird bio's beta-thalassaemia gene therapy rejected by NICE - PharmaTimes - February 17th, 2021
- Europe Cell and Gene Therapy Market Industry Outlook and Forecast Report 2021-2026 with Data-driven Insights on the Impact of COVID-19 -... - February 17th, 2021
- Europe Cell and Gene Therapy Market Report 2021-2026: Prominent Players are Novartis, Spark Therapeutics, Amgen, Gilead Sciences & Organogenesis -... - February 17th, 2021
- Rentschler Biopharma to build new cell and gene therapy capabilities in the UK - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market to Reflect Impressive Growth Rate During 2020-2027 AveXis, Vineti, uniQure NV, Spark Therapeutics KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - February 17th, 2021
- Genethon and WhiteLab Genomics Join Forces to Enhance Gene Therapy Through Artificial Intelligence - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Avrobio Gene Therapy Shows Early Promise in Fabry, Other Rare Lysosomal Diseases - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Global Genes Announces New Multimedia Series Focused on Advances in Gene Therapy and Editing, in Collaboration with the National Institutes of Health... - February 11th, 2021
- The Europe cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 23% during the period 20212026 - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- FLT201 Shows Promise as a Gene Therapy for Gaucher Disease - MD Magazine - February 11th, 2021
- NICE Draft Guidance Recommends that Patients be Denied Access to bluebird bio's Gene Therapy for Life-Limiting Rare Blood Diseas - PharmiWeb.com - February 11th, 2021
- Dyno Therapeutics Announces Publication in Nature Biotechnology Demonstrating Use of Artificial Intelligence to Generate Unprecedented Diversity of... - February 11th, 2021
- Breakthrough gene therapy helps Utah boy thrive - Yahoo News - February 11th, 2021
- Taysha Gene Therapies Announces Participation in Upcoming Investor Healthcare Conferences - Yahoo Finance - February 11th, 2021
- Global Adeno-Associated Virus (AAV) Vectors in Gene Therapy Market to 2030 - Insight, Epidemiology and Forecasts - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - February 11th, 2021
- Amicus Therapeutics Presents Positive Preclinical Fabry Disease Gene Therapy Data at the 17th Annual WORLDSymposium 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Paragon Biosciences Expands Cell And Gene Therapy Platform - Contract Pharma - February 11th, 2021
- FDA Clears IND Application for Passage Bio's Gene Therapy Candidate PBKR03 for Treatment of Patients with Early Infantile Krabbe Disease, A Rare... - February 11th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market by Therapeutic Approach, Type of Gene Therapy, Type of Vectors Used, Therapeutic Areas, Route of Administration, and Key... - February 11th, 2021
- FDA approves third gene therapy for large B-cell lymphoma - European Pharmaceutical Review - February 11th, 2021
- Europe Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach Revenues of USD 2.9 Billion by 2026 - Arizton - PRNewswire - February 7th, 2021
- FDA Issues More Guidance on Gene and Cell Therapy Products - JD Supra - February 7th, 2021
- Spark Therapeutics Announces First Participant Dosed in Phase 1/2 Study of Investigational Gene Therapy for Late-Onset Pompe Disease - BioSpace - February 7th, 2021
- The gene therapy market is projected to be worth USD 14.6 billion in 2030, growing at a CAGR of 30%, over the next decade, claims Roots Analysis -... - February 7th, 2021
- AGTC Executives Awarded First Place in the BioProcess International Reader's Choice Awards, Cell & Gene Therapies Category - GlobeNewswire - February 7th, 2021
- Retinal Gene Therapy Market: Advent of High-end Technologies to Support Development of the Market - BioSpace - February 7th, 2021
- Sio Gene Therapies Announces Receipt of $11.6 Million from Closing of the Sale of Arvelle Therapeutics - BioSpace - February 7th, 2021
- Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe Commits $250 Million in a Strategic Partnership with Kiniciti, a Newly-Formed Platform Investing in Cell and Gene... - February 7th, 2021
- Sio Gene Therapies Announces First Patient Dosed in Clinical Trial of AXO-AAV-GM2 in Patients with Tay-Sachs and Sandhoff Disease (GM2 Gangliosidosis)... - February 7th, 2021
- Abeona Therapeutics Announces Clinical Investigator Webinar to Review ABO-102 and ABO-101 Clinical Data Presented at the 17th Annual WORLDSymposium -... - February 7th, 2021
- Decibel and Catalent Sign Development and Manufacturing Agreement for Dual-Vector Gene Therapy for the Treatment of Congenital Hearing Loss - Yahoo... - February 7th, 2021
- Meeting the commercialization challenge of a surging gene and cell therapy market - FierceBiotech - February 7th, 2021
- Albumedix enters into collaboration agreement with Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult - PharmiWeb.com - February 7th, 2021
- Adverum Biotechnologies Announces Publication of Preclinical Long-Term Safety Data on ADVM-022 IVT Gene Therapy - BioSpace - February 7th, 2021
- Avacta JV raises $7.3m for cell and gene therapy push | Business Weekly - Business Weekly - February 7th, 2021
- Taysha Gene Therapies Highlights Strategic Priorities and Provides 2021 Business Outlook - Business Wire - February 7th, 2021
- FDA's New Guidance on Cell and Gene Therapy Recommends Assessment of COVID-19 Transmission Risks - Lexology - February 7th, 2021
- After reeling back a gene therapy from Sanofi, a North Carolina upstart bags enough money to do something about it - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy in One Eye Improves Vision in Both Eyes - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- After leaving Wall Street to launch a gene therapy upstart, Rachel McMinn nabs $115M to drive her first candidate to the clinic - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 17th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: COVID-19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Passage Bio Invests In Gene Therapy Manufacturing R&D Site - Contract Pharma - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 17th, 2020
- Though Promising, Gene Therapies Face Durability And Reimbursement Headwinds - Forbes - December 17th, 2020
- What is gene therapy? - The Star Online - December 17th, 2020
- They thought their gene therapy failed. Instead, it spawned a medical mystery - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Health Canada approves Zolgensma, the one-time gene therapy for pediatric patients with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) - Canada NewsWire - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Injection in One Eye Improves Vision in Both - Technology Networks - December 17th, 2020
- Locanabio Raises $100 Million to Advance RNA-Targeted Gene Therapies - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Worldwide Gene Therapy Industry to 2025 - Cancer is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share in the Indication Segment - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 17th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Set to Join Russell 2000 Index on December 21, 2020 - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Rare Disease Gene Therapy Market: Increasing cases of genetic diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Single gene therapy injection surprisingly boosts vision in both eyes - New Atlas - December 17th, 2020
- Freeline takes the haemophilia B gene therapy fight to Uniqure - Vantage - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia B Found Safe and Effective in First Phase III Trial - PRNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- ASH: UniQure/CSL hem B gene therapy curbs bleeding in phase 3even in patients with anti-AAV antibodies - FierceBiotech - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Analysis by Vector Type, Application, Region - Global Market Insights, Covid-19 Impact, Competition and Forecast to 2025 -... - December 14th, 2020
- Retinal Gene Therapy Market to Witness Sales Slump in Near Term Due to COVID-19; Long-term Outlook R - PharmiWeb.com - December 14th, 2020