The first patient in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial of Fabry disease gene therapy candidate FLT190 has been dosed.
Enrollment is ongoing at the Royal Free Hospital, in London, U.K. More information and contacts are available here.
Fabry disease iscausedby a faulty GLAgene, which provides instructions to make an enzyme called alpha-galactosidase A (alpha-GAL A). When mutated, this gene leads to abnormal alpha-GAL A function, which results in the build-up of lipids (fatty molecules) known as globotriaosylceramide (Gb3) and globotriaosylsphingosine (LysoGb3) that can damage the heart, kidneys, or liver.
Freelines FLT190 is a gene therapy that uses an adeno-associated virus (AAV8) a harmless virus that does not cause disease or infection as a vehicle to deliver a healthy copy of the GLAgene in the hopes it will induce the production of normal alpha-GAL A. In contrast to the regular infusions of enzyme replacement therapy (ERT), this gene therapy is designed to be given in a single dose.
The international, multi-center MARVEL1 study (NCT04040049) will primarily study the safety of FLT190 in up to 12 adult male patients with classic (type 1) Fabry disease, as well as whether it results in continuous production of high levels of alpha-GAL A. Other goals include clearance of Gb3 and LysoGb3, alterations in kidney and skin biopsies, renal and cardiac function, assessing immune responses, and quality of life.
After taking FLT190 via slow intravenous infusion, participants will be monitored for nine months at outpatient visits, and then enter a long-term follow-up period. Both previously and untreated patients will be included, although in two separate parts dose escalation and dose expansion.
MARVEL1 is the first trial of an AAV-based gene therapy for Fabry disease, according to the company. The trial is estimated to end by March 2021.
The initiation of this clinical study is an important event for the patient community. I am hopeful that the promising preclinical data will translate into long term benefit for patients with Fabry [disease], Derralynn Hughes, MD, PhD, said in a press release. Hughes isa Fabry disease expert and senior lecturer at Royal Free Hospital.
Preclinical results in a mouse model of the disease revealed that a single injection of FLT190 into the blood led to a sustained increase of more than 1,000-fold in alpha-Gal A levels, compared to healthy mice. The levels of Gb3 were reduced markedly in the kidney, spleen and heart, as were those of LysoGb3, which have been suggested as anaccurate biomarker to diagnose and track Fabry disease. No adverse side effects were found.
Chris Hollowood, Freelines executive chairman, said that starting MARVEL1 and dosing the first patient is a significant milestone for the company.Continuous high expression of [alpha-GAL A] holds the potential for better treatment outcomes than is seen with ERT, the current standard of care. We believe we can access high expression at relatively low doses.
Besides Fabry disease, Freeline also is testing its AAV technology in hemophilia B, in which a Phase 2/3 trial (NCT03641703) is evaluating whether the potential gene therapy FLT180a is safe and provides long-term production of the clotting protein missing in these patients (factor IX).
These innovative gene therapies have the potential to change patients lives, Hollowood said.
Jos is a science news writer with a PhD in Neuroscience from Universidade of Porto, in Portugal. He has also studied Biochemistry at Universidade do Porto and was a postdoctoral associate at Weill Cornell Medicine, in New York, and at The University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, Canada. His work has ranged from the association of central cardiovascular and pain control to the neurobiological basis of hypertension, and the molecular pathways driving Alzheimers disease.
Read the rest here:
- Gene Therapy for Frontotemporal Dementia With a GRN Mutation Gets Fast Track Status - Monthly Prescribing Reference - March 26th, 2020
- Redpin bags A round to advance Chantix-controlled gene therapies - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2020
- Vycellix and Avectas Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Avectas and Vycellix Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Codexis and Takeda partner on gene therapies for rare diseases - Pharmaceutical Technology - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Strengthens Leadership Team with the Appointment of Two Accomplished Life Science Executives - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Study reveals gene therapy may help in treating cardiac disease - The Siasat Daily - March 26th, 2020
- TCR therapy an attractive alternative to CAR T for immunotherapy - Drug Target Review - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Bolsters Board of Directors, Appoints Three Biotechnology and Healthcare Industry Leaders - Insurance News Net - March 26th, 2020
- 89bio Appoints Healthcare Industry Veteran Steven Altschuler, MD, as Chairman of the Board of Directors - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Boosting the Growth Worldwide: Cancer Gene Therapy Market Dynamics and Trends, Efficiencies Forecast 2025 - Daily Science - March 26th, 2020
- Serial child rapist sentenced to up to 126 years in jail; new gene therapy from UPMC could cure diabetes: Tod - PennLive - March 26th, 2020
- Visiongain Report Looks at Opportunities Within the $23bn Cell Therapy Technologies Market - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - March 16th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapies: Overcoming the Biggest Hurdles in... - Labiotech.eu - March 16th, 2020
- Almost 400 cell and gene therapies in US pipeline, finds report - European Pharmaceutical Review - March 16th, 2020
- Homology Medicines Announces Peer-Reviewed Publication of HMI-102 Investigational Gene Therapy Demonstrating Restoration of Normal Metabolic Pathway... - March 16th, 2020
- Gene therapy giving Flames executive Snow hope in ALS fight - NHL.com - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Reverses Heart Failure in Mouse Model - Technology Networks - March 16th, 2020
- UAE's first gene therapy improves eyesight of two Emirati sisters - Gulf News - March 16th, 2020
- Construction of a replication-competent retroviral vector for expression of the VSV-G envelope glycoprotein for cancer gene therapy. - Physician's... - March 16th, 2020
- Week In Review: Nanjing Legend Files To Stage IPO In The U.S. - Seeking Alpha - March 16th, 2020
- Kuur Therapeutics Launches to Develop and Commercialize Off-the-shelf CAR-NKT Cell Therapies Targeting Hematological and Solid Tumors - Business Wire - March 16th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 16th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Is Successfully Treating a Common Form of Inherited Blindness - Singularity Hub - March 4th, 2020
- Biogen teams up with Sangamo in gene therapy deal worth up to $2.7B - MedCity News - March 4th, 2020
- Staff: Cell gene therapy sector needs reinforcements - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - March 4th, 2020
- CYTOO and AskBio Enter Research Agreement to Screen Gene Therapy Candidates for Rare Muscle Disorder - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Symbiosis on increased demand for viral vectors - BioPharma-Reporter.com - March 4th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Announces Investigational New Drug Application Active for PR006 for the Treatment of Frontotemporal Dementia with GRN Mutation |... - March 4th, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics Provides Clinical Advancement Update on PR001 for the Treatment of Parkinson's Disease with GBA1 mutationsCompany Will Present at... - March 4th, 2020
- Avectas and CCRM Announce Collaboration to Accelerate Development of Novel Technology for Cell Therapies - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- First-Year Lab Experience Gave This Student the Confidence to Aim for a Ph.D. - UVA Today - March 4th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results and Corporate Updates - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- How does gene therapy work? - Genetics Home Reference - NIH - February 24th, 2020
- Nationwide Childrens among hospitals leading the way in gene therapy - The Columbus Dispatch - February 24th, 2020
- BioMarin gene therapy won't need an AdComm as it nabs speedy FDA review - FierceBiotech - February 24th, 2020
- Gene therapy to halt rare form of sight loss - BBC News - February 24th, 2020
- With supply tight, Novartis readies gene therapy plant for production - BioPharma Dive - February 24th, 2020
- New Gene Therapies Institute Aims to Address Regulatory Barriers - HealthITAnalytics.com - February 24th, 2020
- Bluebird's gene therapy hits another delay, this time in the US - BioPharma Dive - February 24th, 2020
- First patient undergoes Luxturna gene therapy on NHS - PharmaTimes - February 24th, 2020
- First Patients Begin Gene Therapy Treatment for Blindness through NHS - Interesting Engineering - February 24th, 2020
- Spark R&D chief High exits in wake of Roche takeover - FierceBiotech - February 24th, 2020
- Why So Many Biotechs Are Scrambling to Develop a Drug for the Same Rare Disease - The Motley Fool - February 24th, 2020
- 3 Cancer Treatment Stocks to Buy Right Now - The Motley Fool - February 24th, 2020
- The Most Important Stock to Own Over the Next Decade - Nasdaq - February 24th, 2020
- FDA Continues Strong Support of Innovation in Development of Gene Therapy Products - FDA.gov - February 2nd, 2020
- Interpreting Sameness Gene Therapy Products Orphan Drug Regulations - FDA.gov - February 2nd, 2020
- Pfizer lays out gene therapy aspirations - BioPharma Dive - February 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry Outlook 2020-2024 - Strong Product Pipeline Gives Rise to Lucrative Growth Opportunities - P&T Community - February 2nd, 2020
- FDA guidance on gene therapies development and manufacturing - BioPharma-Reporter.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Devastation, then hope: Platteville baby first in state treated for rare condition after screening - Madison.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Studies target unilateral gene therapy injection - Ophthalmology Times - February 2nd, 2020
- Otonomy Presents Preclinical Results for GJB2 Gene Therapy Collaboration and Cisplatin Otoprotection Program - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Eyeing a trio of trial initiations, Jim Wilson's gene therapy startup woos Bruce Goldsmith from Deerfield as CEO - Endpoints News - February 2nd, 2020
- The FDA unveils a new regulatory framework to speed along gene therapies, rewarding the leading players - Endpoints News - February 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapies Make it to Clinical Trials - Discover Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Experimental Gene Therapy Shows Promise for Preventing and Treating Lou Gehrig's Disease in Mice - BioSpace - December 31st, 2019
- 2019: The year gene therapy came of age - INQUIRER.net - December 31st, 2019
- BLA Submitted for Gene Therapy to Treat Hemophilia A - Monthly Prescribing Reference - December 31st, 2019
- First Alzheimer's Disease Gene Therapy Human Study Provided by Maximum Life Foundation, Offers 10 Free Therapies for Qualifying Patients - Benzinga - December 31st, 2019
- Year in Review: Gene Therapy Technology and a Milestone 2019 for Medical Research - News18 - December 31st, 2019
- Gene therapy to conquering hepatitis C: A decade of medical breakthroughs - Business Standard - December 31st, 2019
- What were the biggest biopharma stories of 2019? - MedCity News - December 31st, 2019
- Global Gene Therapy Market 2019 Revenue, Opportunity, Forecast and Value Chain 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 31st, 2019
- Manufacturing: the next breakthrough in gene therapy - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Novartis in talks with patients upset about lottery-like gene therapy giveaway - Reuters - December 23rd, 2019
- Ring Therapeutics Launches to Expand Gene Therapy Viral Vector Options - Xconomy - December 23rd, 2019
- Gene Therapy for Sickle-Cell Anemia Looks Promisingbut It's Riddled With Controversy - Singularity Hub - December 23rd, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Dyno Therapeutics Launches to Improve Viral Vectors for Gene Therapy - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- New Gene Therapy Method May Open BRAVE New World in Parkinson's - Parkinson's News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- Pharma's gene and cell therapy ambitions will kick into high gear in 2020despite some major hurdles - FiercePharma - December 23rd, 2019
- Viewpoint: EU should take a lead in enforcing the corporate social responsibility of gene therapy manufacturers - Science Business - December 23rd, 2019
- Takeda Presents Data for Hemophilia A and B Gene Therapy Optimization - Hemophilia News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- GenScript Biotech to Host Global Forum on Cell and Gene Therapy and the Booming China Market During JPM Week - PRNewswire - December 23rd, 2019
- The gene therapy research that could save a family of four - News - The University of Sydney - December 23rd, 2019