The first patient in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial of Fabry disease gene therapy candidate FLT190 has been dosed.
Enrollment is ongoing at the Royal Free Hospital, in London, U.K. More information and contacts are available here.
Fabry disease iscausedby a faulty GLAgene, which provides instructions to make an enzyme called alpha-galactosidase A (alpha-GAL A). When mutated, this gene leads to abnormal alpha-GAL A function, which results in the build-up of lipids (fatty molecules) known as globotriaosylceramide (Gb3) and globotriaosylsphingosine (LysoGb3) that can damage the heart, kidneys, or liver.
Freelines FLT190 is a gene therapy that uses an adeno-associated virus (AAV8) a harmless virus that does not cause disease or infection as a vehicle to deliver a healthy copy of the GLAgene in the hopes it will induce the production of normal alpha-GAL A. In contrast to the regular infusions of enzyme replacement therapy (ERT), this gene therapy is designed to be given in a single dose.
The international, multi-center MARVEL1 study (NCT04040049) will primarily study the safety of FLT190 in up to 12 adult male patients with classic (type 1) Fabry disease, as well as whether it results in continuous production of high levels of alpha-GAL A. Other goals include clearance of Gb3 and LysoGb3, alterations in kidney and skin biopsies, renal and cardiac function, assessing immune responses, and quality of life.
After taking FLT190 via slow intravenous infusion, participants will be monitored for nine months at outpatient visits, and then enter a long-term follow-up period. Both previously and untreated patients will be included, although in two separate parts dose escalation and dose expansion.
MARVEL1 is the first trial of an AAV-based gene therapy for Fabry disease, according to the company. The trial is estimated to end by March 2021.
The initiation of this clinical study is an important event for the patient community. I am hopeful that the promising preclinical data will translate into long term benefit for patients with Fabry [disease], Derralynn Hughes, MD, PhD, said in a press release. Hughes isa Fabry disease expert and senior lecturer at Royal Free Hospital.
Preclinical results in a mouse model of the disease revealed that a single injection of FLT190 into the blood led to a sustained increase of more than 1,000-fold in alpha-Gal A levels, compared to healthy mice. The levels of Gb3 were reduced markedly in the kidney, spleen and heart, as were those of LysoGb3, which have been suggested as anaccurate biomarker to diagnose and track Fabry disease. No adverse side effects were found.
Chris Hollowood, Freelines executive chairman, said that starting MARVEL1 and dosing the first patient is a significant milestone for the company.Continuous high expression of [alpha-GAL A] holds the potential for better treatment outcomes than is seen with ERT, the current standard of care. We believe we can access high expression at relatively low doses.
Besides Fabry disease, Freeline also is testing its AAV technology in hemophilia B, in which a Phase 2/3 trial (NCT03641703) is evaluating whether the potential gene therapy FLT180a is safe and provides long-term production of the clotting protein missing in these patients (factor IX).
These innovative gene therapies have the potential to change patients lives, Hollowood said.
Jos is a science news writer with a PhD in Neuroscience from Universidade of Porto, in Portugal. He has also studied Biochemistry at Universidade do Porto and was a postdoctoral associate at Weill Cornell Medicine, in New York, and at The University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, Canada. His work has ranged from the association of central cardiovascular and pain control to the neurobiological basis of hypertension, and the molecular pathways driving Alzheimers disease.
Read the rest here:
- Gene Therapies Make it to Clinical Trials - Discover Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Experimental Gene Therapy Shows Promise for Preventing and Treating Lou Gehrig's Disease in Mice - BioSpace - December 31st, 2019
- 2019: The year gene therapy came of age - INQUIRER.net - December 31st, 2019
- BLA Submitted for Gene Therapy to Treat Hemophilia A - Monthly Prescribing Reference - December 31st, 2019
- First Alzheimer's Disease Gene Therapy Human Study Provided by Maximum Life Foundation, Offers 10 Free Therapies for Qualifying Patients - Benzinga - December 31st, 2019
- Year in Review: Gene Therapy Technology and a Milestone 2019 for Medical Research - News18 - December 31st, 2019
- Gene therapy to conquering hepatitis C: A decade of medical breakthroughs - Business Standard - December 31st, 2019
- What were the biggest biopharma stories of 2019? - MedCity News - December 31st, 2019
- Global Gene Therapy Market 2019 Revenue, Opportunity, Forecast and Value Chain 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 31st, 2019
- Manufacturing: the next breakthrough in gene therapy - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Novartis in talks with patients upset about lottery-like gene therapy giveaway - Reuters - December 23rd, 2019
- Ring Therapeutics Launches to Expand Gene Therapy Viral Vector Options - Xconomy - December 23rd, 2019
- Gene Therapy for Sickle-Cell Anemia Looks Promisingbut It's Riddled With Controversy - Singularity Hub - December 23rd, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Dyno Therapeutics Launches to Improve Viral Vectors for Gene Therapy - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- New Gene Therapy Method May Open BRAVE New World in Parkinson's - Parkinson's News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- Pharma's gene and cell therapy ambitions will kick into high gear in 2020despite some major hurdles - FiercePharma - December 23rd, 2019
- Viewpoint: EU should take a lead in enforcing the corporate social responsibility of gene therapy manufacturers - Science Business - December 23rd, 2019
- Takeda Presents Data for Hemophilia A and B Gene Therapy Optimization - Hemophilia News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- GenScript Biotech to Host Global Forum on Cell and Gene Therapy and the Booming China Market During JPM Week - PRNewswire - December 23rd, 2019
- The gene therapy research that could save a family of four - News - The University of Sydney - December 23rd, 2019
- Waning treatment is a warning for all 'one-and-done' therapies - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Would you pay $1M to partake in an anti-aging gene therapy trial? - Fox Business - December 13th, 2019
- Pfizer to bring gene therapy production in-house - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 13th, 2019
- Buyer beware of this $1 million gene therapy for aging - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- Dr. James Wilson, a scientific pioneer, on the future of gene therapy - STAT - December 13th, 2019
- The Rise Of Patent Wars In Europe's Gene Therapy Space - Law360 - December 13th, 2019
- Pfizer cites competitiveness of inhouse gene therapy - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - December 13th, 2019
- Investment in UK cell and gene therapy manufacturing set to continue - European Pharmaceutical Review - December 13th, 2019
- Biomanufacturing and Supply Chain Standardization Key to Success in Cell and Gene Therapy Industry Boom - BioBuzz - December 13th, 2019
- Research targets gene therapy for exudative AMD patients - Modern Retina - December 13th, 2019
- Magenta Therapeutics Demonstrates First-ever Successful Gene Therapy Transplant Without Chemotherapy in Primates Using a Single Dose of Antibody-drug... - December 13th, 2019
- GenEdit and Editas Medicine Enter into Exclusive License and Collaboration Agreement for Nanoparticle Gene Therapy Delivery - Business Wire - December 13th, 2019
- First 2 Adults with Severe Hemophilia A Respond Well to Gene Therapy BAY 2599023 in Clinical Trial - Hemophilia News Today - December 13th, 2019
- New Anti-Aging Clinical Trial Begins. For $1 Million, You Can Be a Participant. - Livescience.com - December 13th, 2019
- Watch out, Keytruda. Ferring's bladder cancer gene therapy rival has new dataand they look competitive - FiercePharma - December 13th, 2019
- Solid Biosciences Stock Crashes Over Safety Concerns About Its Gene Therapy - Barron's - November 13th, 2019
- Solid's Duchenne gene therapy trial halted after patient suffers toxicity - STAT - November 13th, 2019
- Gene Therapy in Neurology: 2019 Overview & Forecast Report - Yahoo Finance - November 13th, 2019
- How Gene Therapy Is Evolving to Tackle Complex... - Labiotech.eu - November 13th, 2019
- Lonza taps Cryoport to bolster cell and gene therapy delivery - BioPharma Dive - November 13th, 2019
- Pfizer's 'brainstorming' payment deals as gene therapies advance, exec tells Bloomberg - FiercePharma - November 13th, 2019
- Next generation cell and gene therapies: fine tuning the promise - Business Weekly - November 13th, 2019
- Vertex invests in gene therapy manufacturing - BioPharma-Reporter.com - November 13th, 2019
- Scientists are using gene therapy to treat a heart disease in dogs. Could humans be next? - 10News - November 13th, 2019
- Updated Alta Trial Results Support SB-525 Gene Therapy for Hemophilia A - Hemophilia News Today - November 13th, 2019
- Sangamo Announces Gene Therapy and Ex Vivo Gene-Edited Cell Therapy Data Presentations at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting - Business... - November 13th, 2019
- Modified Protein Enhances the Accuracy of CRISPR Gene Therapy - DocWire News - November 13th, 2019
- Triple-Gene Announces Completion of Enrollment and Dosing in Phase 1 Trial of INXN4001, First Multigenic Investigational Therapeutic Candidate for... - November 13th, 2019
- Five benefits of gene therapies - Echo Live - September 19th, 2019
- Reprogramming the Human Computer: Silicon Valley Meets Cell and Gene Therapy - BioBuzz - September 19th, 2019
- FDA approves 2nd gene therapy cancer drug from Durham's Precision Bio for clinical trial - WRAL Tech Wire - September 19th, 2019
- 7-Year-Old Receives New FDA-Approved Retina Gene Therapy - University of Michigan Health System News - September 19th, 2019
- Bluebird bio reveals further encouraging data for CALD gene therapy - PMLiVE - September 19th, 2019
- Joseph M. Sanzari Childrens Hospital and John Theurer Cancer Center Launch Clinical Trial Evaluating Gene Therapy for Severe Sickle Cell Disease in... - September 19th, 2019
- Personalised medicine: developing gene therapies - AOP - September 19th, 2019
- A Child's Shattered Chromosomes Illustrate the Value of Supportive Therapies | DNA Science Blog - PLoS Blogs - September 19th, 2019
- Novartis says Pharmalittle: Pelosi unveils aggressive drug pricing plan - STAT - September 19th, 2019
- TrakCel partners with McKesson - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 19th, 2019
- CMTA Grants $335,000 to Projects that Advance Therapy Development - Charcot-Marie-Tooth News - September 19th, 2019
- First patient dosed in Fabry Disease gene therapy trial - PharmaTimes - September 19th, 2019
- PPMD Awards University of Florida $1 Million for Novel Gene Therapy Approach Targeting the Heart - PRNewswire - September 19th, 2019
- Early snapshot of Adverum's eye gene therapy sparks concern about vision loss - Endpoints News - September 19th, 2019
- Type 2 Gaucher Trial of Gene Therapy PR001 May Open with Higher Dose - Gaucher Disease News - September 19th, 2019
- Therapy creates new neurons for faster stroke recovery - Futurity: Research News - September 19th, 2019
- Bluebird gene therapy shows sustained benefit in CALD study - Seeking Alpha - September 19th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - May 14th, 2019
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - May 14th, 2019
- Gene therapy | medicine | Britannica.com - May 14th, 2019
- What is Gene Therapy? - Learn.Genetics - May 14th, 2019