Bayersinvestigationalgene therapy BAY 2599023 safely and effectively increased the levels ofclotting factor VIII (FVIII) and prevented or lessened bleeding in the first two people with severe hemophilia A treated ina Phase 1/2 clinical trial, preliminary data show.
The ongoing trial (NCT03588299; 2017-000806-39) is enrolling up to 30 eligible adult patients. More information, including recruiting sites in the U.S. and Europe, is availablehere.
These early results will be presented in the poster, First-in-human Gene Therapy Study of AAVhu37 Capsid Vector Technology in Severe Hemophilia A, at the 61st American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting & ExpositionrunningDec. 710 in Orlando, Florida.
BAY 2599023 initially by Dimension Therapeutics as DTX201 is being developed by Bayer in collaboration with Ultragenyx Pharmaceuticals. The potential gene therapy aims to promote a sustained production of FVIII and overcome its deficit in hemophilia A patients, reducing or eliminating the need for prophylatic, or preventive, FVIII replacement therapy and the occurrence of bleeding events.
Administered as a single infusion, the therapy uses a modified and harmless version of the adeno-associated virus (AAV), called AAVhu37, to deliver a shorter but functionalcopy of the FVIII gene to liver cells, where clotting factors are produced. This version of the FVIII gene is known as B-domain deleted FVIII gene.
Preclinical studies showed that AAVhu37 effectively delivered the FVIII gene to liver cells, had a favorable distribution, and induced a durable FVIII production.
In addition, preclinical data showed that BAY 2599023 had a good safety profile, and the potential to promote FVIII production to levels considered to be therapeutic over a long period of time.
The ongoing, dose-establishingPhase 1/2 trial (NCT03588299; 2017-000806-39) is evaluating the safety, tolerability and early effectiveness of three ascending doses of BAY 2599023 in adult men with severe hemophilia A who have been previously treated with FVIII products.
It is the first clinical trial to evaluate a gene therapy based on the AAVhu37.
Up to 30 enrolled patients will be given a single intravenous infusion of one of three doses of BAY 2599023. The studys primary goal is to measure safety through reports of adverse events. Secondary goals include measuring FVIII activity and assessing the number of patients who reach more than 5% of FVIII production at six and 12 months after treatment at the different doses.
Data on the first two men treated at BAY 2599023s starting dose (0.5 x 1013 gene copies/kg) will be presented at the meeting. These men had more than 150 days of treatment with FVIII products, no history of FVIII inhibitors, and no detectable immune response against AAVhu37.
No adverse events were reported after more than 15 weeks of safety evaluations (about four months). Blood levels of liver enzymes also remained within a normal range, and either of these patients needed to be treated with corticosteroids.
The first man reached a stable FVIII production of around 5%, and was free of bleeding events or a need for prophylactic treatment for six weeks. The second patient, who had 99 bleeds in the year before receiving the gene therapy, reached a stable FVIII production of around 17%, and has been bleed-free for more than 5.5 months (at the time of data collection).
These preliminary data suggest that BAY 2599023 is safe and effective in promoting the production of FVIII and in reducing or preventing the occurrence of bleeding events and the need for prophylactic treatment, the researchers wrote.
Overall, data generated from this first dose cohort demonstrate that successful translation from pre-clinical to clinical development and proof-of-mechanism for BAY 2599023 was achieved, they concluded.
Marta Figueiredo holds a BSc in Biology and a MSc in Evolutionary and Developmental Biology from the University of Lisbon, Portugal. She is currently finishing her PhD in Biomedical Sciences at the University of Lisbon, where she focused her research on the role of several signalling pathways in thymus and parathyroid glands embryonic development.
Total Posts: 121
Margarida graduated with a BS in Health Sciences from the University of Lisbon and a MSc in Biotechnology from Instituto Superior Tcnico (IST-UL). She worked as a molecular biologist research associate at a Cambridge UK-based biotech company that discovers and develops therapeutic, fully human monoclonal antibodies.
Go here to read the rest:
- The Wet AMD Gene Therapy Race - Adverum Biotechnologies Vs. Regenxbio - Seeking Alpha - June 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies - Lexology - May 28th, 2020
- Bicoastal startup Kriya Therapeutics to grow gene therapy manufacturing in NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 28th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 28th, 2020
- Troubleshooting the Development of New Gene Therapies - Technology Networks - May 28th, 2020
- Lab Mice Shed Fat and Build Muscle with Gene Therapy - The Great Courses Daily News - May 28th, 2020
- Reversing SHANK3 mutations in mice mitigates autism-like traits - Spectrum - May 28th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Present at Virtual Investor Conferences in June - Yahoo Finance UK - May 28th, 2020
- Gene Therapy market worldwide is projected to grow by US$3.3 Billion - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2020
- Generation Bio tees up $125M IPO to push next-gen gene therapies - FierceBiotech - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2020
- Novartis' gene therapy approved in Europe, talks ongoing on price - BioPharma-Reporter.com - May 27th, 2020
- NOVASEP and LYSOGENE Announce their New Collaboration for Development and Production of GM1 Gangliosidosis Gene Therapy Product - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Evox Therapeutics Appoints Martin Andrews as Non-Executive Director - BioSpace - May 27th, 2020
- New Zolgensma 'inflection point' is here as Novartis snags EU nod for SMA gene therapy - FiercePharma - May 27th, 2020
- Gene therapy could help millions of ash trees fight deadly beetle Emerald Ash Borer - inews - May 27th, 2020
- Generation Bio Leads a Trio of Biotech Companies Aiming for the Nasdaq - Xconomy - May 27th, 2020
- European regulators accept FibroGen's anemia drug for review; Passage Bio's lead gene therapy gets more love from the FDA - Endpoints News - May 27th, 2020
- QPS Continues to Expand UPLC-HRMS Quantitation Capabilities to Support Gene Therapy and Protein Drug Development - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Novartis wins conditional EU approval for gene therapy Zolgensma - Reuters - May 19th, 2020
- The Roller Coaster of Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - May 19th, 2020
- Gene therapy reduces fat and builds muscle in mice - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- Forget ExerciseThese Mice Got Ripped With Gene Therapy - Singularity Hub - May 19th, 2020
- UPDATED: Pfizer gene therapy ups levels of dystrophin expression in Duchenne trial but another safety setback mars results - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Thermo Fisher to invest $180M in new gene therapy plant - BioPharma Dive - May 19th, 2020
- Beam Therapeutics Taking Novel Approach to Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- Gene-Therapy Treatments for Tay-Sachs, Sickle Cell to Be Featured in Online Gathering - Barron's - May 19th, 2020
- Sarepta And Dyno Therapeutics Will Develop Next-Gen Gene Therapy Vectors - Contract Pharma - May 19th, 2020
- New gene therapy cuts fat and builds muscle with ease. But theres a catch - Digital Trends - May 19th, 2020
- New Gene Therapy Promises You Will Get Ripped Without Stepping in a Gym - Interesting Engineering - May 19th, 2020
- Merck KGaA adds to gene therapy manufacturing boom with 100M facility in California - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Japan's health insurance to cover 167 million gene therapy drug - The Japan Times - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Gene Therapy Market Is Set To Experience Revolutionary Growth By 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Presents Data at Annual Meeting of American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy Demonstrating Cells Mobilized with MGTA-145 in a... - May 19th, 2020
- Passage Bio Announces Expansion of Gene Therapy Collaboration with University of Pennsylvania - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Orgenesis sees 1Q revenue rocket driven by its Cell and Gene Therapy Biotech platform - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - May 11th, 2020
- Gene therapy for follistatin mitigates systemic metabolic inflammation and post-traumatic arthritis in high-fat dietinduced obesity - Science Advances - May 11th, 2020
- BioMarin broadens its gene therapy horizons with a new R&D alliance in rare cardio cases - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- BioLife Solutions to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provide Business Update on May 14th, 2020 - Chinook Observer - May 11th, 2020
- Adverum soars on early gene therapy data; BerGenBio raises 45.4M on the heels of Covid-19 move - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- Neurophth Therapeutics Announces Presentations at ASGCT and ARVO Annual Meetings - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Genprex Enters Into Exclusive Worldwide Patent and Technology License Agreement for Combination of its TUSC2 Gene Therapy with Immunotherapies -... - May 11th, 2020
- Study suggests effective fat-reducing therapy - Tech Explorist - May 11th, 2020
- Senti Biosciences to Present on Gene Circuit-Based Therapies at the 2020 ASGCT Annual Meeting - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Hitachi Chemical Advanced Therapeutics Solutions and apceth Biopharma GmbH Enter into Strategic Clinical and Commercial Manufacturing Agreements with... - May 11th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Announces Virtual Poster Presentations for FX201, an Intra-Articular Gene Therapy Candidate for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis,... - May 11th, 2020
- UPDATE Amicus Therapeutics Announces Upcoming Presentations at the American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy 23rd Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- This Gene Is a Molecular "Knob" That Fine-tunes Our Cortex's Electrical Activity - Technology Networks - May 11th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Rare Disease Market 2020 Coronavirus (Covid-19) Business Impact 2026 Growth Trends by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,... - May 11th, 2020
- Can gene therapy help develop coronavirus vaccine? Researchers banking on this technology for breakthrough - MEAWW - May 11th, 2020
- A Tribute to Max Randell, Gene Therapy Pioneer - PLoS Blogs - April 27th, 2020
- Merck KGaA to spend $110M on new gene therapy facility in California - BioPharma Dive - April 27th, 2020
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Affinia Therapeutics Establish Multi-Year Collaboration to Discover and Develop Novel AAV Capsids for Genetic Therapies |... - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - Telangana Today - April 27th, 2020
- Regenxbio Is A Leader In Gene Therapies - A Case Where The Platform Is Worth More Than The Pipeline - Seeking Alpha - April 27th, 2020
- UK Startup to Manufacture Cell and Gene Therapies with... - Labiotech.eu - April 27th, 2020
- Sangamo- Early-Stage Progress in Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020
- Inclusive Comprehension 2020: Gene Therapy Market (Trending PDF) Addressing Structure, Scope, Potential, and Growth Prospects Till 2029 - Jewish Life... - April 27th, 2020
- Ziopharm Oncology to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Host a Conference Call and Webcast on May 7, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020
- Lysogene S.A. (EPA:LYS): When Will It Breakeven? - Simply Wall St - April 27th, 2020
- Diabetes reversed in mice with genetically edited stem cells derived from patients - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - April 27th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable... - April 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Gene Therapy Market 2019 Business Insights,Top Companies,Growth, Market Size Global Market Share, Trends, Outlook, Opportunity and... - April 27th, 2020
- Gene Therapy For Inherited Genetic Disorders Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma Could Be Successfully Treated With Gene Therapy - Technology Networks - April 26th, 2020
- Reversing diabetes with CRISPR and patient-derived stem cells - FierceBiotech - April 26th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- AskBio acquires BrainVectis to expand its gene therapy portfolio - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - April 26th, 2020
- 'We're really at a tipping point': COVID-19 brings research into other medical conditions to a grinding halt - CBC.ca - April 26th, 2020
- ThermoGenesis and ImmuneCyte Joint Venture Developing Several Convalescent Plasma and Antibody Therapeutic Approaches Against COVID-19, Featured on... - April 26th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market : Global Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Surfacing Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Frontotemporal Dementia With a GRN Mutation Gets Fast Track Status - Monthly Prescribing Reference - March 26th, 2020
- Redpin bags A round to advance Chantix-controlled gene therapies - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2020
- Vycellix and Avectas Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Avectas and Vycellix Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Codexis and Takeda partner on gene therapies for rare diseases - Pharmaceutical Technology - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Strengthens Leadership Team with the Appointment of Two Accomplished Life Science Executives - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Study reveals gene therapy may help in treating cardiac disease - The Siasat Daily - March 26th, 2020
- TCR therapy an attractive alternative to CAR T for immunotherapy - Drug Target Review - March 26th, 2020