The innovation experts at Cleveland Clinic have peered into their crystal ball and pronounced the most profound medical advancements that will impact the care and treatment of patients in the coming year.
During the closing session of the 2020 Cleveland Clinic Medical Innovation Summit, the 18th year the conference has been held, Cleveland Clinic Innovations shared its annual list of top 10 medical innovations. The breakthrough technologies were selected by a committee of Cleveland Clinic subject matter experts, led by Will Morris, MD, executive medical director, Cleveland Clinic Innovations, and Akhil Saklecha, MD, managing director, Cleveland Clinic Ventures.
1. Gene Therapy for Hemoglobinopathies
Experimental gene therapy gives new hope to those suffering from hemoglobinopathies, genetic disorders responsible for sickle cell disease and thalassemia. Through treatment, those with these conditions have the potential ability to make functional hemoglobin molecules, reduce the presence of sickled blood cells or ineffective red blood cells in thalassemia, and prevent associated complications.
2. Novel Drug for Primary-Progressive Multiple SclerosisA new, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved therapeutic monoclonal antibody with a novel target is the first and only multiple sclerosis (MS) treatment for 15% of primary-progressive patients, who experience gradual onset and steady progression of signs and symptoms. In those with MS, the immune system attacks the fatty protective myelin sheath that covers the nerve fibers, causing communication problems between the brain and the rest of the body that can result in permanent damage or deterioration and eventual death.
3. Smartphone-Connected Pacemaker Devices
Remote monitoring of implantable pacemakers and defibrillators traditionally occurs through a bedside console that transmits data to the physician. Yet many patients don't understand how it functions, and adherence to remote monitoring has been suboptimal. New Bluetooth-enabled pacemaker devices used in conjunction with a mobile app, offer a convenient new method to transmit data, while also providing patients greater insight into their health status.
4. New Medication for Cystic Fibrosis
A new combination drug, approved by the FDA in October 2019, provides relief for patients with the most common cystic fibrosis gene mutation (F508 del), estimated to represent 90% of individuals living with the disease. Medications developed prior to last year had only been effective in a subset of people with certain mutations.
5. Universal Hepatitis C Treatment
A new, approved fixed-dose combination medication has vastly improved hepatitis C treatment. More than 90% effective for hepatitis C genotypes one through six, the therapy represents an effective option for a wider scope of patients. With no vaccine for the hepatitis C virus, patients have been limited to medication, but many treatments were accompanied by adverse side effects or only effective for certain genotypes of the disease.
6. Bubble CPAP for Increased Lung Function in Premature Babies
Newborns with infant respiratory distress syndrome now have access to a safer method of ventilation though b-CPAP, a non-invasive ventilation strategy. Unlike mechanical ventilation, which administers a surfactant that can cause lasting lung injury, b-CPAP maintains lung volumes during exhalation through oscillating, rather than constant pressure, minimizes physical trauma, and stimulates lung growth when administered over a prolonged period.
7. Increased Access to Telemedicine through Novel Practice and Policy Changes
While telehealth technologies and initiatives have been around for years, COVID-19 forced them into the spotlight and stimulated widespread adoption. "Since March, state and federal regulators have moved quickly to reduce telehealth adoption barriers, understanding that these tools can speed access to care while protecting healthcare workers and community members," according to Cleveland Clinic. "These measures opened the floodgates for telehealth, allowing for new programs and the expansion of existing networks."
8. Vacuum-Induced Uterine Tamponade Device for Postpartum Hemorrhage
A low-tech solution is now part of the arsenal to fight postpartum hemorrhage (PPH). Vacuum-induced uterine tamponade uses negative pressure created inside the uterus to collapse the bleeding cavity, causing the muscle to close off the hemorrhaging vessels. The device represents another minimally invasive tool that is potentially translatable to developing countries with minimal resources.
9. Prostate Cancer PARP Inhibitors
Previously known for their success in treating womens cancers, two PARP inhibitors, which block proteins that help repair damaged tumor DNA in people with BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations, were approved for prostate cancer treatment in May. These pharmacological agents have been demonstrated to delay the progression of prostate cancer in men with refractory cancer and DNA repair pathway mutations.
10. Immunologics for Migraine Prophylaxis
New medications were developed in 2018 help head off migraine pain by blocking activity of the calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) molecule, which spikes during these headaches. In 2020 this FDA-approved class of medication became the first actively prescribed therapeutic for preventative treatment of migraines, which affect an estimated 12% of the U.S. adult population.
More information about the these innovations, including videos and year-by-year comparisons is available on the website.
Mandy Roth is the innovations editor at HealthLeaders.
Originally posted here:
- New CSL gene therapy could trigger a stock rerating - The Australian Financial Review - October 19th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Size & Share Insights on Growing Applications by 2026 - re:Jerusalem - October 19th, 2020
- Gene Therapy: Healing remedy or harmful hoax? The Knight News - The Knight News - October 19th, 2020
- Polyplus-transfection presents latest solution portfolio for gene therapy market to Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's Meeting on the Mesa -... - October 19th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Receives Rare Pediatric Disease Designation and Orphan Drug Designation for TSHA-102 as a Treatment for Rett Syndrome - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Merck's New VirusExpress Platform Speeds Development of Cell and Gene Therapies - PharmiWeb.com - October 19th, 2020
- Axovant Gene Therapies Receives Rare Pediatric Disease Designation for AXO-AAV-GM2 for Tay-Sachs and Sandhoff Disease - GlobeNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Ori Biotech's new cell and gene therapy platform raises 23m - BusinessCloud - October 19th, 2020
- Foundation to Fight H-ABC, University of Massachusetts Medical School and Yale University Initiate Gene Therapy Study Targeting Cure for Rare Disease... - October 19th, 2020
- 5-Year-Old Girl, Being Treated In French Gene Therapy Trial, Dies In US - NDTV - October 19th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Libmeldy for the Treatment of Early-Onset Metachromatic Leukodystrophy (MLD) - GlobeNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Castle Creek Biosciences Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of FCX-013 Gene Therapy for Treatment of Moderate to Severe... - October 19th, 2020
- Longview family rallies around 3-year-old with rare, fatal genetic condition - Longview News-Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Child dies in US during gene therapy trial - The News International - October 19th, 2020
- Tag: Gene Therapy - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market Robust pace of Industry during 2018-2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Disruptive Technologies and Mature Regulatory Environment Vital for Cell Therapy Maturation - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Ori looks to advance closed cell therapy tech - BioProcess Insider - October 19th, 2020
- Histogen Appoints Moya Daniels as Executive Vice President and Head of Regulatory, Quality and Clinical Operations - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- EMA starts rapid review of Bluebird's gene therapy for rare disease CALD - - pharmaphorum - October 10th, 2020
- American Gene Technologies to Present at 2020 Virtual Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Unchained Labs launches the ultimate gene therapy tool; tackle AAV titer, empty/full ratio and more with Stunner! - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Smartphone-connected pacemaker devices, experimental gene therapy among top 10 innovations at annual event - BioWorld Online - October 10th, 2020
- CellGenix Completes Facility Expansion to Stay Ahead of the Increasing Demand for GMP Raw Materials - b3c newswire - October 10th, 2020
- Investigational Gene Therapy for Phenylketonuria Gets Fast Tracked - Monthly Prescribing Reference - October 10th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics to Present at the 2020 Cell & Gene Virtual Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Partners with Invitae to Enable Rapid Access to Genetic Testing and Earlier Diagnosis of Patients with CNS Disease for Rare and... - October 10th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market 2020 by industry trends, statistics, key companies growth and regional forecast - News by Decresearch - October 10th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics, Link Health and Pregene to develop and commercialize the ALLOB allogeneic bone cell therapy platform in China and Southeast Asia -... - October 10th, 2020
- Axovant to Participate in Upcoming October Conferences and Provide AXO-Lenti-PD Program Update the Morning of October 6th - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Investigational Gene Therapy Fast Tracked for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Monthly Prescribing Reference - October 10th, 2020
- Genprex to Present at the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's Virtual Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- Generation Bio to Present at 2020 Virtual Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Gyrolab AAVX Titer Kit Introduced to Support Cell and Gene Therapy Market - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Builds Experienced Executive Leadership Team to Advance Pipeline of Gene Therapies for Monogenic CNS Disease in Both Rare and... - September 2nd, 2020
- First Gene Therapy Products Approved in Brazil - Lexology - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to be worth USD 10 Billion by 2030, growing at an annualized rate of over 40% - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Additional Interim Results from Proof-of-Concept Study of OTL-203 for MPS-I - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- The Safety and Clinical Activity of Gene-engineered T-cell Therapy Targeting HPV-16 E7 in Epithelial Cancers - Pharmacy Times - September 2nd, 2020
- AGTC to Host Management Update on September 9 at 8:00 am ET to Discuss Planned Phase 2/3 XLRP Trial, Share Additional XLRP Data and Report Fourth... - September 2nd, 2020
- Qualitative Analysis and Competitive Industry, CCOVID-19 Scenario of Personalized Gene Therapy Treatment Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Sorrento Announces the Closing of Its Acquisition of SmartPharm to Build Next Generation G-MAB-Encoded Plasmid DNA For Cost-Efficient and In Vivo... - September 2nd, 2020
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Helped Conner Run : Short Wave - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- Preparing for an influx of cell and gene therapy approvals - - pharmaphorum - August 10th, 2020
- Catalent's Harmans Site Approved To Manufacture AveXis' Gene Therapy - Contract Pharma - August 10th, 2020
- Sangamo and Novartis partner on gene therapies for autism - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 10th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy in Oncology Market 2020 Growth Statistics, New Opportunities, Competitive Outloo - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- Research shows promising results for LHON gene therapy - Ophthalmology Times - August 10th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Detailed Information on Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | Sangamo, Spark Therapeutics, Dimension Therapeutics, Avalanche Bio,... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell & Gene Therapy Market Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Gene Therapy for Mucopolysaccharidosis Market Research Study 2020 Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological... - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Press Release - Digital... - August 9th, 2020
- Orgenesis Second Quarter 2020 Revenue Increases 55% Reflecting Progress of POCare Platform - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Regulatory Focus, July issue: Cell and gene therapy - Regulatory Focus - August 8th, 2020
- G-CON PODs Selected for Expression Therapeutics' Gene Therapy Manufacturing Facility - PR Web - August 8th, 2020
- CRISPR co-discoverer on the gene editor's pandemic push - Axios - August 8th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Provides Update on AbbVie Vectorized Antibody Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - August 8th, 2020
- What Is Gene Therapy? How Does It Work? | FDA - August 8th, 2020
- 112M Fund Launched to Commercialize UCLs Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - August 8th, 2020
- UK gene therapy pioneer tilts at $125m NASDAQ IPO - Business Weekly - August 7th, 2020
- Of mice and memories: Gene therapy study returns function in Alzheimer's mice - ABC News - August 7th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics Announces Results from Two Independent Phase 1/2 Trials of Autologous CD30 CAR-T Cell Therapy in Patients with Relapsed or... - August 7th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Latest Treatment Methodology 2020 to 2025 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces the establishment of its internal manufacturing facility for process development and scalable cGMP production of gene... - August 7th, 2020
- Regenxbio announces positive one-year data on wet AMD gene therapy - Seeking Alpha - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Forces Gene Therapy Companies to Shift... - Labiotech.eu - August 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies: For biotechs, collaboration is key to successful innovation - BioPharma Dive - August 5th, 2020
- The Time for DMD Gene Therapy is Now: A Chat with the MDA - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Beats the Blood-Brain Barrier To Cure Cat Disease - Technology Networks - August 5th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19 Gene Therapy Market - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- World-first gene therapy reverses Alzheimer's memory loss in mice - New Atlas - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to grow at an annualized rate of 45%, till 2030 - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020