By the time the FDA approved Luxturna the pioneering gene therapy for an inherited retinal disease Henry Klassen had been researching and treating the group of diseases known as retinitis pigmentosa for more than 20 years.
Spark Therapeutics success there had not just inspired a $4.3 billion takeover by Roche, it had also emboldened other biotechs pursuing a therapy that would deliver one of the genes tied to different variations of the disorder. Nightstar Therapeutics subsequently scored its own buyout with Biogen, and MeiraGTx recently posted early but exciting data on its J&J-partnered program.
But Klassen went a different way.
Catching on the stem cell craze right at the turn of the millennium, he took inspiration from scientists who transplanted neural progenitor cells into the retina and developed a method to grow retinal progenitor cells instead as a therapy. Starting out as the director of stem cell research at the Childrens Hospital of Orange County, he continued the work at the University of California, Irvine, eventually spinning out a biotech dubbed jCyte in 2012.
Over the weekend jCyte reported positive Phase IIb results from what they call one of the largest studies ever conducted in RP, suggesting that patients on the treatment saw improved functional vision compared to the placebo group.
The credit to the gene therapies is that theyre actively trying to fix the gene underlying the problem. Thats very commendable, and were not doing that, Klassen told Endpoints News. But our treatment as it stands should have impact across a variety of different genotypes.
The study enrolled a total of 84 patients, of whom 74 were included for the final analysis. For each patient on the primary endpoint of best corrected visual acuity (measured with glasses on), the mean change from baseline to month 12 for the sham, low dose and high dose arms were +2.81, +2.96, and +7.43 letters, respectively.
In a post hoc analysis for a target subgroup, the difference was even more prominent: +1.85, -0.15, and +16.27 letters, respectively.
There was one serious adverse event in the low dose arm, but jCyte said the grade 3 ocular hypertension resolved with treatment and other side effects were generally minor.
CEO Paul Bresge noted that the target subgroup analysis was intended to hammer out the criteria they might use to recruit patients into Phase III which would likely have a similar design and use the same primary endpoint of BCVA, the gold standard in the context of FDA. The late-stage trial is slated for 2021.
We did enroll a very wide patient population into our Phase IIb, including patients that had vision anywhere from 20/80 to 20/800, just to learn which patients would potentially be the best responders, he said.
The target subgroup is characterized by having reliable fixation on the study eye, and a study eye that does not have significantly worse BCVA (15 letters) than the fellow eye.
He added that investigators also observed encouraging results with the secondary endpoints such as low light mobility, contrast sensitivity kinetic visual fields and a vision function questionnaire, although the data werent disclosed.
Typically people think about the disease as a narrowing of this peripheral vision in a very nice granular way, but thats actually not what happens, he said about the visual fields finding. What happens in the disease is that patients lose like islands of vision. So what were doing in our tests is actually measuring  islands that the patients have at baseline, and then what were seeing after treatment is that the islands are expanding. Its similar to the way that one would track, lets say a tumor, in oncology of course were looking for the opposite effect. Were looking for the islands of vision to expand.
The therapy works primarily by preserving photoreceptors, Klassen posits, not by generating new ones. But what he thinks is happening is that photoreceptors are regenerating the outer segment if photoreceptors are radios, these would be the antenna thereby regaining some function.
That could position it as a treatment for a different stage of the disease than Sparks or Nightstars. Klassen, whos also researching retinal reconstruction using stem cells, is happy to not view it through the competitive lens.
If you look into the future, one could imagine that gene therapies will be most effective very early in the course of a disease before photoreceptors are lost, he said. Then as photoreceptors begin to be lost anyway, if that happens, then a therapy like ours would become extremely valuable. And if ours starts to lose power late in the course of a disease, maybe cell transplantation under the retina could have a role.
- Gyrolab AAVX Titer Kit Introduced to Support Cell and Gene Therapy Market - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Builds Experienced Executive Leadership Team to Advance Pipeline of Gene Therapies for Monogenic CNS Disease in Both Rare and... - September 2nd, 2020
- First Gene Therapy Products Approved in Brazil - Lexology - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to be worth USD 10 Billion by 2030, growing at an annualized rate of over 40% - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Additional Interim Results from Proof-of-Concept Study of OTL-203 for MPS-I - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- The Safety and Clinical Activity of Gene-engineered T-cell Therapy Targeting HPV-16 E7 in Epithelial Cancers - Pharmacy Times - September 2nd, 2020
- AGTC to Host Management Update on September 9 at 8:00 am ET to Discuss Planned Phase 2/3 XLRP Trial, Share Additional XLRP Data and Report Fourth... - September 2nd, 2020
- Qualitative Analysis and Competitive Industry, CCOVID-19 Scenario of Personalized Gene Therapy Treatment Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Sorrento Announces the Closing of Its Acquisition of SmartPharm to Build Next Generation G-MAB-Encoded Plasmid DNA For Cost-Efficient and In Vivo... - September 2nd, 2020
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Helped Conner Run : Short Wave - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- Preparing for an influx of cell and gene therapy approvals - - pharmaphorum - August 10th, 2020
- Catalent's Harmans Site Approved To Manufacture AveXis' Gene Therapy - Contract Pharma - August 10th, 2020
- Sangamo and Novartis partner on gene therapies for autism - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 10th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy in Oncology Market 2020 Growth Statistics, New Opportunities, Competitive Outloo - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- Research shows promising results for LHON gene therapy - Ophthalmology Times - August 10th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Detailed Information on Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | Sangamo, Spark Therapeutics, Dimension Therapeutics, Avalanche Bio,... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell & Gene Therapy Market Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Gene Therapy for Mucopolysaccharidosis Market Research Study 2020 Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological... - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Press Release - Digital... - August 9th, 2020
- Orgenesis Second Quarter 2020 Revenue Increases 55% Reflecting Progress of POCare Platform - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Regulatory Focus, July issue: Cell and gene therapy - Regulatory Focus - August 8th, 2020
- G-CON PODs Selected for Expression Therapeutics' Gene Therapy Manufacturing Facility - PR Web - August 8th, 2020
- CRISPR co-discoverer on the gene editor's pandemic push - Axios - August 8th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Provides Update on AbbVie Vectorized Antibody Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - August 8th, 2020
- What Is Gene Therapy? How Does It Work? | FDA - August 8th, 2020
- 112M Fund Launched to Commercialize UCLs Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - August 8th, 2020
- UK gene therapy pioneer tilts at $125m NASDAQ IPO - Business Weekly - August 7th, 2020
- Of mice and memories: Gene therapy study returns function in Alzheimer's mice - ABC News - August 7th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics Announces Results from Two Independent Phase 1/2 Trials of Autologous CD30 CAR-T Cell Therapy in Patients with Relapsed or... - August 7th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Latest Treatment Methodology 2020 to 2025 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces the establishment of its internal manufacturing facility for process development and scalable cGMP production of gene... - August 7th, 2020
- Regenxbio announces positive one-year data on wet AMD gene therapy - Seeking Alpha - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Forces Gene Therapy Companies to Shift... - Labiotech.eu - August 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies: For biotechs, collaboration is key to successful innovation - BioPharma Dive - August 5th, 2020
- The Time for DMD Gene Therapy is Now: A Chat with the MDA - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Beats the Blood-Brain Barrier To Cure Cat Disease - Technology Networks - August 5th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19 Gene Therapy Market - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- World-first gene therapy reverses Alzheimer's memory loss in mice - New Atlas - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to grow at an annualized rate of 45%, till 2030 - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Recognized for Fourth-straight Year as One of Philadelphia's Best Places to Work by the Philadelphia Business Journal - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- AGTC to Present at the Wedbush PacGrow Virtual Healthcare Conference on August 11, 2020 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Global Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market is estimated to Experience a Notable Rise in the coming era by Spark Therapeutics, Ultragenyx, Shire PLC,... - August 5th, 2020
- MEDIPAL HOLDINGS Partners with CRYOPORT to Bring Temperature-Controlled Supply Chain Solutions to the Japanese Market - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand By Top Vendors JW CreaGene, Vericel, Tego Sciences, CHIESI... - August 4th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Gene Therapy for Ovarian Cancer Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Takara Bio, VBL... - August 4th, 2020
- Gene therapy reverses memory loss from Alzheimer's in mice - BioNews - August 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Gene Therapy Industry Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Express Journal - August 3rd, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Appoints Susanna High as Chief Operating Officer - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Industry Market with manufacturers, Application, regions and SWOT Analysis 2025 - CueReport - August 3rd, 2020
- Investing in Advanced Manufacturing to Support Public Health - FDA.gov - August 3rd, 2020
- Genetic Studies Could Pave the Way to New Pain Treatments - Pain News Network - August 3rd, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Development, Manufacture & License Agreement with Beam Therapeutics Inc., for LentiVector Platform for Next Generation... - August 3rd, 2020
- AZ partners with Daiichi on ADC therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Getting gene therapy to the brain | Penn Today - Penn Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Ocugen Granted FDA Orphan Drug Designation for OCU400 (AAV-hNR2E3) Gene Therapy for the Treatment of RHO Mutation-Associated Retinal Degenerative... - August 2nd, 2020
- Axovant Signs Three-Year Clinical Supply Agreement With Oxford Biomedica for Manufacturing and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market size in terms of volume and value 2019-2025 - Market Research Correspondent - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Professional Industry Overview 2020 Segmentation and Development Analysis BY 2027 - Science Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- Greenwich swimmers take the plunge to fight cancer - Greenwich Time - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Overview, Growth & Advancement to (2020-2025) - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Movers & Shakers, July 31 | BioSpace - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - Herald-Mail Media - August 2nd, 2020
- Catharpin mom helps raise national awareness for her young sons disease - WDVM 25 - August 2nd, 2020
- Spinraza-Zolgensma Combination Well-tolerated in Children with SMA... - SMA News Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Vineti and EVERSANA form strategic alliance to advance patient-centered services and supply chain automation for regenerative medicine - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Webcast Conference Call of Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Bill Swaney as VP of Manufacturing and the Construction of Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - Yahoo Finance - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Market Analysis by SWOT, Investment, Future Growth and Major Key Players 2020 to 2025 - Research Newspaper - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Tools, and Reagents: Global Markets - PRNewswire - August 1st, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - PharmiWeb.com - July 31st, 2020