Four students at Wheaton College filed a federal free-speech lawsuit against the City of Chicago this week, claiming that it violated the Constitution when it prohibited a group of evangelists from speaking and passing out fliers near The Bean statue at the popular Millennium Park.
The three sophomores and one junior who filed suitMatt Swart, Jeremy Chong, Gabriel Emerson, and Caeden Hoodare all members of the Chicago Evangelism Team at the 2,500-student, Christian liberal arts school. The team is sponsored by the colleges Office of Christian Outreach.
An essential part of Christianity is sharing the gospel, Chong told The Chicago Tribune, which first reported the lawsuit, on Thursday.
The 24.5-acre park is the most popular tourist destination in the midwest, with about 25 million annual visitors, and was often used by the team to proclaim the gospel in the city of Chicago to whomever we find there, pray with and listen to all those we meet and be a light and a witness for Christ, according to the lawsuit.
But six members of the team were halted by park security in December 2018 while open air preaching, the complaint claims.
Park officials told the students that they were soliciting the public to subscribe to their beliefs and therefore in violation of a Chicago ordinance which prohibited solicitation on the park sidewalk between Randolph Street and Roosevelt Street, the lawsuit states.
Over the next several months, the students and other evangelists continued to face hostility and opposition from park employees frustrating their ability to preach or distribute free religious literature, the complaint contends. In one case, students say they were told by a park official they could not discuss religion in the park. That official allegedly ordered the students to leave the park if they wanted to talk about religion.
In April, the citys Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events officially divided the park into 11 areas, or rooms, and on its website announced that it would ban the making of speeches and passing out of written communications in 10 of them.
The rules, which were updated in August, contain unconstitutional provisions which unduly restrict speech within a traditional public forum, the lawsuit claims.
The rules essentially restrict anyone from making speeches or passing out written materials in the park, including near the world-famous Cloud Gate statue, commonly known as The Bean, except for the area of Wrigley Square and the Millennium Monument, in the northwest corner of the park, according to the complaint.
The Bean is one of the highest tourist attractions in the United States ... thats where you want to get your message out, the students attorney, John Mauck, told the Tribune.
The 39-page federal lawsuit was filed on Wednesday in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Illinois and claims the city violated their constitutional rights to freedom of speech and free exercise of religion.
This isnt just about evangelists, Mauck said. This is for politicians campaigning, political activists and whoever else wants free speech.
This case is about keeping secure the liberty of public citizens, in general, and the four student plaintiffs, specifically, to freely engage in speech activities at Millennium Parka public park and traditional public forum, the complaint states. The right of citizens to discuss matters of public importance, to engage with other citizens, and to hear encouraging or challenging opinions is a bedrock of the first amendment, which has found its fullest expression in the context of public forums.
Through the suit, the students are seeking to forbid the city and its employees from enforcing rules that prohibit or unduly restrict the students speech and religious activities within a traditional public forum, unspecified damages for violating their rights, and reimbursement of attorneys fees and expenses.
Despite the fact that he was forwarded a copy of the complaint, Bill McCaffrey, a spokesman for the citys legal department, told The Daily Beast on Thursday: We have not yet received this suit and therefore cannot comment specifically on the litigation, however, the new rules protect First Amendment rights while also respecting the rights of patrons to use and enjoy the park.
- Malaysia: Stop Treating Criticism as a Crime - Human Rights Watch - July 10th, 2020
- Democrats Declare War on Conservatives at University of North Texas - Texas Scorecard - July 10th, 2020
- Trump Executive Order Misreads Key Law Promoting Free Expression Online and Violates the First Amendment - EFF - June 4th, 2020
- SHARON RANDALL: The Fifth Freedom - Scottsbluff Star Herald - June 4th, 2020
- EFF Files Amicus Brief with Top French Court to Bring Down Controversial Avia Bill - EFF - June 4th, 2020
- After Reality Stars Death, Japan Vows to Rip the Mask Off Online Hate - The New York Times - June 4th, 2020
- The US Supreme Court vs the First Amendment - The Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Two Universities React as Antisemitism Steps Out of the Shadows - Lubavitch.com - April 27th, 2020
- Article 19: The freedom of Speech and expression - India Today - April 27th, 2020
- After FIRs for Hate Speech, Arnab Goswami Will Be Back in the Studio With SC Protection - Qrius - April 27th, 2020
- Halting disinformation in a time of pandemic: the need to tread very carefully - The Hill Times - April 27th, 2020
- China's 'wolf warrior' diplomats show teeth in defending virus response - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- FREEDOM OF PRESS IN AGE OF 'RETREATING DEMOCRACY' - Kashmir Reader - April 27th, 2020
- Wars Are Bad For Free SpeechThe Coronavirus War Will Be No Exception - The National Interest - April 3rd, 2020
- Forging the Four Freedoms Initiative for prosperity and peace in the Balkans - Atlantic Council - April 3rd, 2020
- Devoleena Bhattacharjee: Cyber bullies are misusing their right to freedom of speech - Times of India - April 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus: Hungarys right-wing leader given unlimited powers that could curb free speech - Mirror Online - April 3rd, 2020
- The Centre Is Back to Using the Bogey of 'Fake News' to Try and Suppress Press Freedom - The Wire - April 3rd, 2020
- Scholars Call for Limits on Freedom of Speech - The Heartland Institute - March 25th, 2020
- Opinion | Have hope - alreporter.com - March 25th, 2020
- Dissent in a time of Covid - Spiked - March 25th, 2020
- How Bad Is Online Harassment? - Reason - March 25th, 2020
- How to win the campus free-speech wars - Spiked - March 16th, 2020
- University free speech society told it is a 'red risk' and needs to have all external speakers vetted - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Why Toby Young and other robust white men are using free speech to whip universities - The Guardian - March 4th, 2020
- Behind the SECs War on Freedom of Speech - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- NRB Resolves that Religious Liberty & Freedom of Speech Must Prevail - MissionsBox - March 4th, 2020
- 10 Chinese Readers Share Their Stories of the Coronavirus Crisis - The New York Times - March 4th, 2020
- No platforming nowhere near as productive as debate or conversation - The Badger Herald - March 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is the Technology of Dissent That Secures Individual Liberties - Bitcoin Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Fighting corruption can unite the American people - The Fulcrum - March 4th, 2020
- The Guardian is not a fan of Toby Young or free speech - The Post Millennial - March 4th, 2020
- ASUC fails students when it comes to free speech - Daily Californian - February 29th, 2020
- Toby Young's 'Free Speech Union' is illogical - and more to the point, it won't work - inews - February 29th, 2020
- Baranyai: Defending free speech requires we condemn offensive ideas - The London Free Press - February 29th, 2020
- An Instagram Account That Accused Subodh Gupta of Sexual Harassment Has Agreed to Apologize in Exchange for the Artist Dropping His Lawsuit - artnet... - February 29th, 2020
- How progressives and conservatives have changed the debate over freedom of speech - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - February 22nd, 2020
- How the Hare Krishna led to a free speech booth at St. Louis airport - Alton Telegraph - February 22nd, 2020
- OPINION: The importance of freedom of speech in the christian community - Argonaut - February 22nd, 2020
- Netanyahu Boasts That He Destroyed Free Speech in America - Truthdig - February 22nd, 2020
- What We Really Mean by Free Speech - Jewish Journal - February 22nd, 2020
- Verbum Ultimum: Crying Wolf - The Dartmouth - February 22nd, 2020
- Calls for freedom of speech on rise in China as coronavirus death toll soars to over 1,100 - Outlook India - February 12th, 2020
- Education secretary Gavin Williamson says universities must do more to protect free speech or the government will - PinkNews - February 12th, 2020
- Morocco: Crackdown against activists for criticizing the King, public institutions and officials - Amnesty International - February 12th, 2020
- Dr. Ricky Jones talks to students after anti-gay pamphlets were handed out to LGBTQ-focused classroom - WHAS11.com - February 11th, 2020
- Swiss vote to approve legislation to protect LGBTQ+ rights - The Guardian - February 11th, 2020
- Julian Assange Wins 2020 Gary Webb Freedom of the Press Award - Consortium News - February 11th, 2020
- In a small state of poetry: Why poets are on the front lines of the free-speech fight - The Providence Journal - February 7th, 2020
- Bill that would extend freedom of speech to student journalists amended in committee - Fauquier Times - February 7th, 2020
- Editorial: Ohio Senate bill on free speech goes further than it should - The Columbus Dispatch - February 7th, 2020
- Faculty asked Zimmer for an open forum to discuss UChicago's free speech policy. Here's what they got instead. - The Chicago Maroon - February 7th, 2020
- No, Boris is not the most 'sinister' threat to media freedom - Spiked - February 7th, 2020
- Removing Section 144 Will Lead to 'Chaos', Free Speech 'Not Absolute': Ahmedabad Police - The Wire - February 7th, 2020
- Why Middlebury was deemed one of the worst colleges for free speech according to FIRE - Burlington Free Press - February 6th, 2020
- In One Month, For Freedoms Will Stage the Largest Congress of Creatives in Americas History. Will You Join Us? - artnet News - February 6th, 2020
- What BDN readers think about planned live-action 'Bambi' movie - Bangor Daily News - February 6th, 2020
- What are the limits of freedom of speech? - The New Indian Express - February 6th, 2020
- 'You're the ENEMY of free speech' Piers Morgan slams 'snowflakes triggered by everything' - Express - February 6th, 2020
- Quillen Op-Ed: 'How to Protect Free Speech in the Age of Mass Shootings' - Davidson News - January 19th, 2020
- Brazils Top Culture Official Fired Over Speech Evoking Nazi Propaganda - The New York Times - January 19th, 2020
- Franklin Republican wants to make it a crime to burn symbol of liberty - The Union Leader - January 19th, 2020
- Experts warn of foreign disinformation in 2020 election that could 'annihilate truth' - The Daily World - January 19th, 2020
- Editorial: NH House should reject bill that violates freedom of the press - Seacoastonline.com - January 19th, 2020
- Montclair State Univ. Sued for 'Unconstitutional' Speech Policy and Favoring One Student Group Over Another Based on Their Beliefs - CBN News - January 19th, 2020
- Sheffield Arena urged to cancel event by 'homophobic' Trump ally - The Guardian - January 19th, 2020
- Free Speech Left for Space as Professor Fired Over a Political Joke - Ask the Truth - January 19th, 2020
- Join the Inquisition or lose your job: wasn't Hong Kong meant to give peace a chance? - Hong Kong Free Press - January 19th, 2020
- Appeals Court reverses conviction in freedom of speech case - Whidbey News-Times - January 5th, 2020
- The war on free speech in Tanzania - The Week Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Ricky Gervais: 'Offense is the collateral damage of free speech' - Washington Times - January 5th, 2020
- Non-profit sues Iowa State University on grounds of free speech infringement - Local 5 - weareiowa.com - January 5th, 2020
- 'Anne with an E' Season 3 Episode 7 Review: Free speech crusade makes it one of the best episodes on TV - MEAWW - January 5th, 2020
- How I Learned to Love Free Speech - The Good Men Project - December 25th, 2019
- 2019 was the year 'cancel culture' took on a gorgeously messy life of its own - Mashable - December 25th, 2019
- Rugby League: Toronto Wolfpack say Sonny Bill Williams has 'right to freedom of speech' after Uighur tweet - Newshub - December 25th, 2019
- From the Age of Persuasion to the Age of Offense - lareviewofbooks - December 25th, 2019
- California Freelancers Sue To Stop Law That's Destroying Their Jobs. Pol Says Those 'Were Never Good Jobs' Anyway. - Reason - December 25th, 2019
- LeBron James angers Hong Kong protesters with free speech comments - PBS NewsHour - October 16th, 2019
- Internet Industry Under the Microscope as House Committee Grills Witnesses on Liability for Online Content - BroadbandBreakfast.com - October 16th, 2019