Ryan Reynolds made an awkward joke about Meghan Markle's royal title, and it shows he's still confused over what to call her.
During his comedy quiz show "Don't" with Adam Scott, the contestants were asked what the duchess' official title was "before she resigned."
The multiple-choice options included the Countess of Cambridge, the Duchess of Wessex, the Duchess of Cornwall, or the Duchess of Sussex.
"Or E, we taped this show seven months ago," Reynolds joked, referencing Markle and Prince Harry's "step back" in January 2020.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex on their wedding day. AP
The contestant got the answer wrong, saying the Duchess of Cornwall, the title belonging to Prince Charles' wife Camilla.
However, Reynolds was also technically wrong by implying that Markle is no longer a duchess after resigning from her role as a working royal.
Markle became HRH The Duchess of Sussex upon her marriage to Harry in 2018, and he became The Duke of Sussex. The titles were gifted to the couple by the Queen.
However, when they announced they wanted to step back and obtain financial independence, they said they would retain their HRH titles but would no longer use them in an official capacity.
Therefore, Markle is now known officially as Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, or alternatively The Duchess of Sussex.
Reynolds isn't the only one confused by the title change, with several royal fans assuming that since she gave up her HRH title she is no longer a duchess.
"Just a reminder. Meghan is not the Duchess of Sussex any longer. She gave that title up. She is plain old Meghan Markle again because she can not have the Monarch name," one person wrote on Twitter.
Meanwhile, another wrote: "Meghan Markle or Duchess of Sussex? Thought she has already lost her title. Why so much of attention grabbing?"
It's not uncommon for non-working royals to retain their titles. For example, Prince Andrew's ex-wife Sarah Ferguson is still known as The Duchess of York.
Princess Diana's title changed from HRH The Princess of Wales to Diana, Princess of Wales, after her divorce from Prince Charles.
When they resigned, there was speculation over whether Markle and Harry would take the royal family's official last name Mountbatten-Windsor reserved mostly for those who don't use HRH titles.
Although the couple have given their son, Archie, the last name, they have not used it.
Meghan Markle's $76 dress shows her style is completely different post royal life
11 photos show Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are thriving after leaving royal life behind
10 times the royals opened up about their experiences breaking protocol
Meghan Markle says the Mail on Sunday is threatening to name the 5 friends who defended her in an anonymous interview
Our Royal Insider Facebook group is the best place for up-to-date news and announcements about the British royal family, direct from Insider's royal reporters. Join here.
See the article here:
- Seizing Independence in the Silver State: Top Producer Andy Ferguson Launches RIA Proquility Private Wealth Partners in Las Vegas - Business Wire - August 12th, 2020
- How some good feedback and an erroneous report helped Xavier Tillman pick the NBA over MSU - MLive.com - August 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 has revealed this trait in retired Americans - MarketWatch - August 12th, 2020
- An additional $4 million announced today for more than 80 municipalities and Tribal governments across the state - WAGM - August 12th, 2020
- Navigating Financial Help When Leaving an Abusive Relationship - Legal Reader - August 12th, 2020
- This Tech Firm Is On A Mission To Save Independent Medical Practices - Forbes - August 12th, 2020
- BankMobile to transition from bank to tech company after Customers spinoff - Banking Dive - August 12th, 2020
- OPINION: Seattle Independent Journalists Stand Together to Oppose SPDs Subpoena - southseattleemerald.com - August 12th, 2020
- Are rental properties or index funds better in pursuit early retirement? - AZCentral.com - August 10th, 2020
- Are Rental Properties or Index Funds Better in Pursuit of FIRE? - The Motley Fool - August 10th, 2020
- Financial Focus: How can you prepare for the new retirement? - The-review - August 10th, 2020
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Being Young in the Time of the Covid-19 Crisis - World - ReliefWeb - August 10th, 2020
- 39% of younger millennials say the Covid-19 recession has them moving back home - CNBC - August 10th, 2020
- Pandemic is heightening stress over the $1.9 million retirement number. How you can save more - CNBC - August 10th, 2020
- Want $10,000? Just Invest $1,000 in These Great Stocks and Wait - Motley Fool - August 10th, 2020
- Tony Blair convinced Ireland to join euro now Dublin must get out or sail into disaster - Daily Express - August 10th, 2020
- Brexit LIVE: No10 vows action on illegal French fishers -'Independence WILL be respected!' - Daily Express - August 10th, 2020
- Nearly $1 Million In Federal Funds To Provide Housing To Victims Of Human Trafficking In Maryland - Bay Net - August 10th, 2020
- What Is the FIRE Movement? - Investment U - August 10th, 2020
- Water, sewer rates proposed to increase | News - The Central Virginian - August 10th, 2020
- Wall Street keeps rallying; S&P 500 back within 2% of record - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- 'You have to make a big organizational effort' - swissinfo.ch - August 10th, 2020
- Beyond Motherhood: Powerful Women in Politics - Armenian Weekly - August 10th, 2020
- All you need is WiFi: How Covid-19 could bring in the era of the digital nomad - Hindustan Times - August 10th, 2020
- The Three Levels Of Financial Independence: From Budget To ... - August 10th, 2020
- Financial independence - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- Financial Independence - I Will Teach You To Be Rich - August 10th, 2020
- Shortest Path to Financial Independence - Mad Fientist - August 10th, 2020
- financial independence / early retirement - August 10th, 2020
- What can we learn from our spending habits during Covid-19? - The National - August 9th, 2020
- Celebrating ABLE to Save Month with our Partners - Columbia Star - August 9th, 2020
- Maryland to receive $1 million from DOJ to combat human trafficking - WTOP - August 9th, 2020
- Ric Edelman Urges Congress to Make 36 Policy Changes to Support the Millions of Americans Struggling Financially - Business Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Phil Hanson: Honoring those who shape our communities - Neosho Daily News - August 9th, 2020
- Mike Ostrowski and John I. Snow III: Racism is all around us and New Hampshire is not immune - The Union Leader - August 9th, 2020
- The hidden crisis: Beneath the surface of Covid lurks a human rights crisis for women - The Financial Express - August 9th, 2020
- No retirement savings at 50? Save, invest and establish new streams of income - AZCentral.com - August 7th, 2020
- Celebrating ABLE to Save Month with our partners - Myhorrynews - August 7th, 2020
- All you need to know about Saakashvilis judicial reform - 112 International - August 7th, 2020
- 'Do You Really Want to Spend the Money on Online Yale?' For the Class of 2020, Gap Years Beckon - The 74 - August 7th, 2020
- Vertical Finance Introduces Signature Grand Reserve Rewards Credit Card Designed for Wine Enthusiasts - PRNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- 9 Pieces of Bad Money Advice Your Clients' Neighbors Are Taking - ThinkAdvisor - August 7th, 2020
- Usha Rajak's Journey in the Nepali Film Industry - The Diplomat - August 7th, 2020
- What it Means to Be Financially Independent - Investment U - August 1st, 2020
- What is the F.I.R.E. Retirement Plan and Is It for You? - Investment U - August 1st, 2020
- Advisor Group, Royal Alliance And Securities America Congratulate Patti Brennan And Trudy Haussman For Recognition In Barron's 2020 Top 100 Women... - August 1st, 2020
- Women-led Self Help Groups: Frontline workers in the fight against COVID-19 - OpIndia - August 1st, 2020
- Focus on the Family: Parents miss relationship with son - Boyertown Berk Montgomery Newspapers - August 1st, 2020
- Done with Divorce FREE Webinar - Everything You Should Know - Patch.com - July 31st, 2020
- Builders Exchange of Michigan's 64th Annual Golf Outing to Benefit Guiding Light's Back to Work Program - The Rapidian - July 31st, 2020
- How likely it is that Prince George will see the throne - Insider - INSIDER - July 31st, 2020
- Is Fastly Ready to Move Into the Slow Lane? - InvestorPlace - July 31st, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Are Now In Total Control Of Their Lives, Source Explains - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 31st, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BPMC.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 30-Jul-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - July 31st, 2020
- RFG Advisory Named to 2020 Financial Times 300 Top Registered Investment Advisers - Business Wire - July 31st, 2020
- Should you move back in with your parents? Read the transcript for episode eight of Stress Test - The Globe and Mail - July 31st, 2020
- Outer House grants divorce to Russian wife of Scotsman living in Dubai - Scottish Legal News - July 31st, 2020
- Read the transcript for episode eight of Stress Test - The Globe and Mail - July 30th, 2020
- The 3 Secrets Of The Happiest Retirees (And How You Can Plan For Them) - Forbes - July 30th, 2020
- Fitch assigns 'A-' Insurer Financial Strength rating with stable outlook to the operating insurance subsidiaries of Ohio National Financial Services -... - July 30th, 2020
- Government of Canada invests $19 million to reduce human trafficking and support those most impacted - Canada NewsWire - July 30th, 2020
- The collective wisdom that emerges from The Baby-Sitters Club - The Christian Century - July 30th, 2020
- 10 Growth Stocks to Buy for Long-Term FIRE Investors - Investorplace.com - July 30th, 2020
- Were on track to retire at 50 by living off half our salaries on no spend year - The Sun - July 29th, 2020
- Grace Agada: Concerned About How to Improve Your Chances Of Financial Success? - BellaNaija - July 29th, 2020
- 5 Ways To Set Up Retiring In Your Thirties - Forbes - July 26th, 2020
- Can Trading In Crypto Lead To Financial Independence: Here Is What You Need To Know - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - July 26th, 2020
- Be Wary of Bad Retirement Advice | NextAdvisor with TIME - NextAdvisor - July 26th, 2020
- Hungarys Independent Press Takes Another Blow and Reporters Quit - The New York Times - July 26th, 2020
- Giving abandoned women chance to rediscover their self-worth - The Star Online - July 26th, 2020
- Disabled Jamaican woman cooks, washes, and writes using feet - NYCaribNews - July 26th, 2020
- Revisiting the Constitutionality of Independent Agencies - The Regulatory Review - July 26th, 2020
- Minority Consultant Shares Thoughts on Dynamics in Entrepreneurism - The Real Chi - July 26th, 2020
- A Boss Idea: New Jersey-Based Team Launches ShoreHaven Wealth Partners with Dynasty Financial Partners - Business Wire - July 26th, 2020
- Advisor Group And Triad Advisors Announce Recruitment Of Professional Planning & Wealth, A Hybrid Advisory Practice With $130 Million In Client... - July 26th, 2020
- Josh Frydenberg wants a COVID childbirth boom. Time to give him 'the talk' on where babies come from - Women's Agenda - July 26th, 2020
- Thomas W. Young is recognized by Continental Who's Who - The Wellsboro Gazette - July 26th, 2020
- SFA Partners Adds Four Wealth Management Firms And More Than $200 Million In Combined Client Assets To Platform - PRNewswire - July 26th, 2020
- Women and Money: Taking Charge of Your Financial Future - Patch.com - July 23rd, 2020
- Buying on the Dip is a Critical Piece of the FIRE Puzzle - Investorplace.com - July 23rd, 2020