Michael Atkinson, the then-inspector general for the intelligence community, departs a closed-door hearing before the House Intelligence Committee in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 4, 2019.
Photo: Anna Moneymaker/The New York Times via Redux
Three years into his presidency, Donald Trumps corruption and blatant politicization have reached into every corner of the government. Now, in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic that has killed thousands of Americans, its more clear than ever that the officials who stayed in public service to try to curb Trumps worst abuses are becoming his most numerous victims.
Hoping that the country is too distracted by Covid-19 to notice, Trump has over the last few days engaged in a Stalinist purge of truth-tellers, leaving the survivors frightened and intimidated even as the federal government is shown to be too weak to counter the rampaging coronavirus.
Last week, Trump fired the intelligence communitys inspector general, Michael Atkinson. Atkinsons sin was that he took seriously a whistleblower complaint about Trumps illegal scheme to get Ukraine to meddle in the 2020 presidential election on his behalf.
Last year, Atkinson concluded that the whistleblowers complaint was both credible and urgent, and should be shared with Congress, which ultimately led to Trumps impeachment by the House of Representatives. A mountain of evidence confirmed the whistleblowers complaint and vindicated Atkinsons decision to tell Congress about it.
It is hard not to think that the Presidents loss of confidence in me derives from my having faithfully discharged my legal obligations as an independent and impartial Inspector General, Atkinson wrote in a statement. He urged whistleblowers to continue to come forward: Please do not allow recent events to silence your voices.
Atkinsons firing is just the latest in a series of attempts by Trump to decapitate the intelligence community and place it under the control of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the clammy thug who has gained power over most of the national security apparatus by sucking up to Trump more compulsively than any of his rivals.
In the wake of Atkinsons firing, House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff wrote a scathing letter to Acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell, pointing out that every Senate-appointed official in the DNI has now been removed, making it impossible for the intelligence community to function. The only problem with Schiffs letter was that he had to address it to Grenell, an empty suit who is temporarily filling the job of director after replacing yet another acting national intelligence director in February. Replacing acting officials with more acting officials is part of Trumps ongoing strategy to fill the government with unqualified yes-men.
Trumps dysfunctional leadership style is to rant and rave in public over the slightest hint of criticism. That explains why the popular captain of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier was relieved of command last week after pleading for help as Covid-19 ravaged his crew.
Replacing acting officials with more acting officials is part of Trumps ongoing strategy to fill the government with unqualified yes-men.
The captain, Brett Crozier, had angered Trump by telling his superiors that the Navy wasnt doing enough to protect its sailors. Croziers letter was promptly leaked to the media, embarrassing Navy brass, so Crozier had to go. On Monday, Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly, yet another Trump minion, flew to Guam and gave a profanity-laced speech to the carriers crew, in which he said that if Crozier hadnt intended his letter to be leaked, the captain was too naive or too stupid to be the commanding officer of a ship like this. The audio of Modlys speech was itself promptly leaked to the press, and Modly was forced to resign. In trying a little too hard to be like Trump, he had actually embarrassed the president.
Trump began the week by ousting the chair of the federal panel created by Congress to oversee the management of the $2 trillion stimulus package designed to offset the economic impact of the pandemic. Trump removed Glenn Fine before he could even start his new job because he discovered that Fine had been the acting inspector general of the Pentagon and previously served as the longtime inspector general for the Justice Department. In other words, he was afraid that Fine had enough experience to actually know how to do his job and therefore, could conduct real oversight of the massive spending bill.
At around the same time, Trump publicly attacked the inspector general for Health and Human Services for issuing a report that showed that hospitals around the nation faced severe shortages of Covid-19 tests and related supplies.
Trump views anyone who tells the truth as an enemy who must be crushed. Since the onset of the pandemic, he has often assaulted the truth in the middle of White House press briefings. That the docile White House press corps has repeatedly let it happen with barely a murmur encourages Trump to keep it up.
In the middle of a press briefing on Sunday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the governments top infectious disease expert, tried to answer a question about whether an anti-malaria drug, hydroxychloroquine, could be an effective treatment for Covid-19. Trump has continuously touted the drug in public despite the fact that there is no conclusive proof of its usefulness and plenty of evidence of its harmful side effects. His heedless quackery threatens to kill thousands.
The last thing Trump wanted was for Fauci to tell the truth while standing next to him in front of the press, so Trump blocked him from answering the question and attacked reporters for asking about it. You dont have to ask the question again, Trump told a reporter, while complaining that Fauci had already talked about the anti-malarial drug 15 times.
Fauci has tried hard over the last few weeks to avoid directly contradicting Trump, particularly in official press briefings. He has instead used alternative media interviews including a popular online chat with NBA star Stephen Curry to try to get the truth out.
Yet the fact that Fauci must stand by and let Trump spout dangerous misinformation shows how Trumps purges have intimidated the remaining professionals inside the government.
Meanwhile, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been almost completely sidelined from press briefings. Stat, a health and medicine news organization, noted that the CDC hasnt given its own press briefing since March 9, after Trump and the White House took control of public messaging about the pandemic. CDC experts, who held regular briefings to update the public about previous health threats such as the H1N1 flu pandemic and the Zika outbreak, have been silenced, Stat reported.
Instead, CDC Director Robert Redfield, a conservative Christian appointed to his position in 2018, has mainly been giving interviews to local radio stations, in which he stresses the value of social distancing while avoiding directly contradicting Trump.
Trump has lied and spouted propaganda and conspiracy theories ever since he took office. In the last few days, he has intensified his war against the truth and anyone who speaks it. With Covid-19, we are witnessing the results.
Read the original here:
- Donald Trumps Lifelong Obsession with Comebacks - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Why No One Is Calling on Trump to Resign - The Atlantic - May 11th, 2020
- Trump sticks with positive messaging as coronavirus misery piles up - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Lashes Out Again At Chuck Todd, Calls For Him To Be Fired Over Edited Meet The Press Clip - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Trump ducks the real enemy - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Fallout in Trump's Washington as he rejects facts and science - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Why aren't editorial boards screaming: Trump has to go? - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Rosie O'Donnell working with Michael Cohen on tell-all about Donald Trump - Fox News - May 11th, 2020
- Trump is culpable in deaths of Americans, says Noam Chomsky - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump could freeze immigration for years - AS English - May 11th, 2020
- Last Week Tonight: John Oliver Talks Dismissal Of Michael Flynn Case And Donald Trumps Live And Let Die Coronavirus Strategy - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Trump says he only will submit to GOP oversight for his administration - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Going to Hate SNL's Season Finale Mother Jones - Mother Jones - May 11th, 2020
- The one Republican Senate candidate willing to call out Donald Trump - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- The crude and callous coronavirus calculation of Chris Christie and Donald Trump | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Fact-checking five of Trump's false claims this week - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- The Best Thing That Happened This Week: No, the Phillies Didnt Scout Donald Trump in High School - Philadelphia magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Teenagers reveal what they really think of Donald Trump - The Conversation US - May 11th, 2020
- Anthony Fauci just crushed Donald Trump's theory on the origins of the coronavirus - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Trump, Biden gear up for battle in Florida, where coronavirus isn't the only thing on voters' minds - NBCNews.com - May 11th, 2020
- How Donald Trump, Joe Biden, and America Get Away With It - The Intercept - May 11th, 2020
- 11 US Secret Service agents test positive for the coronavirus - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 11th, 2020
- Trump's stage is caving in. Bring on the doctors. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump's big coronavirus sacrifice? Lunch. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump is driving Birx to a tough spot. It's about to get even tougher. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Republicans are stuck with Donald Trump - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trumps China Nightmare Is Coming True For The U.S. Dollar - Forbes - April 27th, 2020
- Trump's coronavirus leadership has been 'awful' for the US and the world, US entrepreneur says - CNBC - April 27th, 2020
- What Donald Trump Could Learn from Herbert Hoover - POLITICO - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump said coronavirus 'should have never happened.' What? - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Tapper: Trump's musings were there for all to see and hear - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- The 52 most off-the-wall lines from Donald Trump's Sunday night coronavirus briefing - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- What Would Donald Trump Do if Kim Jong-un Died? - The National Interest - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trumps Pathetic COVID-19 Response Is Killing Thousands of People - Vanity Fair - April 27th, 2020
- Like You, Donald Trump Wants a Break on His Rent - Mother Jones - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Living Groundhog Day in Reverseand We're All Stuck in His Nightmare - The Daily Beast - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Exploiting the Coronavirus Pandemic to Sell Campaign Swag - Mother Jones - April 27th, 2020
- Trump claims he will temporarily suspend immigration into US due to coronavirus fears - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- A Brief List of the Times Donald Trump Tried to Punish Jeff Bezos - Slate - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump just threw Georgia's governor directly under the bus on coronavirus - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Biden says he thinks Trump will try to delay the election - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- The Senate just proved Donald Trump wrong -- again -- on Russian interference in 2016 - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump and the coronavirus have exposed America as a declining empire: Time to face the facts - Salon - April 27th, 2020
- To Mr. Donald Trump, President of the United States | News, Sports, Jobs - Lock Haven Express - April 27th, 2020
- Trevor Noah Says President Donald Trump Is Like Eminem In The Song Stan - Deadline - April 27th, 2020
- Maryland has received 'hundreds of calls' about the effectiveness of ingesting disinfectants to treat coronavirus, governor says - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump: Immigration order to apply only to green cards - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump says briefings 'not worth the effort' amid fallout from disinfectant comments - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump set to fall back on xenophobia with re-election plan in tatters - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- In Deep review: Trump v intelligence and Obama vs the people - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Hillary Clinton: 'Please don't poison yourself because Donald Trump thinks it could be a good idea' | TheHill - The Hill - April 26th, 2020
- The Luxury of Irresponsibility - New York Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Trump attack on Biden highlights president's own past dealings with China - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Trump shocks in time of crisis with his standard approach - CNN - April 26th, 2020
- Season finale: Is this the end of the Trump show? - RTE.ie - April 26th, 2020
- Revealed: leader of group peddling bleach as coronavirus 'cure' wrote to Trump this week - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump Keeps Trying to Make Reality Disappear - The Daily Beast - April 26th, 2020
- Trump and Putin issue rare joint statement promoting cooperation - Reuters - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump says disinfectants and sunlight could be used as coronavirus treatments - msnNOW - April 26th, 2020
- Trump's surprise immigration ban expected to include major exemption - POLITICO - April 26th, 2020
- Whats behind Trumps fresh push to wrest control of Voice of America - POLITICO - April 26th, 2020
- Yes, Cindy Adams Is Still Besties With Donald Trump: What Did We Expect? - Vanity Fair - April 26th, 2020
- No Other Leader Politicizes Pandemic Briefings Like Trump - The Intercept - April 11th, 2020
- Trump says he's 'not determined' to open the country in May as it happened - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Berates CNNs Jim Acosta Over Happy Talk Question: These Are The Saddest News Conferences That Ive Ever Had - Deadline - April 11th, 2020
- Trump to announce council focused on reopening the US for business - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- Trump says he's not going to reopen economy 'until we know this country is going to be healthy' - CNBC - April 11th, 2020
- Here's the silver lining in the CNN poll for Donald Trump - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Trump tells faith leaders to let the country 'get healed' before holding in-person services - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Trump: Reopening the Country Too Early Could Kill People but So Could Staying at Home - Vanity Fair - April 11th, 2020
- Trump's poll numbers dip over handling of coronavirus pandemic - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- 'Now is not the time': WHO responds to Trump's threat to cut funding - CNBCTV18 - April 11th, 2020
- Trump fails the test: Yet more evidence he has no idea what he's doing - Salon - April 11th, 2020
- This Is Trumps Fault - The Atlantic - April 11th, 2020
- Here's the biggest thing Donald Trump doesn't get about the media - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Dr. Lance Dodes on Trump: A "predator" who "would be in prison" if he hadn't been born rich - Salon - April 11th, 2020
- Treasury acted appropriately on Trump tax returns: watchdog - NBCNews.com - April 11th, 2020
- Trump orders U.S. government to help Italy in coronavirus fight - Reuters - April 11th, 2020
- Trump's wild claims of voter fraud blow back on campaign aide - POLITICO - April 11th, 2020