Plenty, plenty of issues, James responded. Everything from cutting Great Lakes funding to shithole countries to speaking ill of the dead," apparently referring to Trump's disparagement of the late Sen. John McCain. "I mean, where do you want to start?
"And so yes, there's gonna be places that I disagree with the president and those are just a couple," he added.
James, a 38-year-old Iraq War veteran, also pushed back against what he described as a Democratic talking point that he was bankrolled by the president and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who hails from one of the states wealthiest political families.
I havent gotten any money from Donald Trump. I haven't gotten any money from Betsy DeVos. I havent gotten any money thats political talking points. Very little of that is true, James said during the appearance, a video of which was obtained by POLITICO.
(While James hasn't received funding from the education secretary, her family has contributed heavily to a super PAC supporting his candidacy.)
James faces the hurdle of running in Michigan, a swing state where the presidents popularity has ebbed. A recent Fox News poll showed Trump trailing Joe Biden by 8 percentage points and James lagging behind Democratic Sen. Gary Peters by 10 percentage points.
The candidate made the case that he is taking a balanced approach toward the president and wasnt afraid to disagree with him. He said he wasnt focusing his campaign on Trump, though he acknowledged that many would see the race through the prism of the president.
I do recognize that it's human to disagree with people and like I've said millions of times, I can agree with the president without worshiping him. I can disagree without attacking him, James said.
Trump, James said at one point, "has his own campaign to run."
While the presidents poll numbers are sagging across the country amid the coronavirus pandemic, Trump advisers regard Michigan as a particular trouble spot. Of all the states the president won in 2016, they say, Michigan will be the hardest to carry again. Republicans have also struggled to recruit candidates in a pair of Michigan congressional seats that Democrats flipped in the 2018 midterm elections.
James has made clear throughout the 2020 race that hes willing to distinguish himself from Trump in certain areas and has stressed that he intends to run on local, not national issues.
This race isnt about President Trump, James was quoted as saying during the Mackinac Republican Leadership Conference in September. This race is about people in the state of Michigan whove been failed by their leaders for generations. This race is about people who are hurting in this state, and Im going to make this race about Michigan.
Gail Gitcho, a James spokeswoman, said, John James is willing to have these tough conversations with voters. John James is his own man, and he will point out when he agrees with the president and respectfully point out when he disagrees with him.
"I do recognize that it's human to disagree with people and like I've said millions of times, I can agree with the president without worshiping him."
Trump has heavily promoted James, tweeting last month that James will be a GREAT Senator for Michigan!
Trump also endorsed James in his unsuccessful 2018 Senate bid. At one point, he tweeted a picture of him with James in the Oval Office.
James has publicly touted his support from the White House and recently said that Trump has done everything that he has thought was best in his managing of the pandemic.
Democrats say they are eager to paint James as a Trump puppet and frequently highlight his comment during the 2018 race that he was "2,000 percent" with the president's agenda.
During the late April conference, James was peppered with an array of skeptical questions about the president. James, who is African American, was reminded reminded that many in the black community don't trust Trump. James was asked whether he would publicly speak out against the administration and advocate for the needs of African Americans.
James responded that his access to Trump as a Republican senator would be an asset to African Americans in the state.
Look, Donald Trump doesnt need less black folks around him, he needs more, said James.
He added: Hopefully youll see through my actions that I am for you, that I am for black people, and that we share the same destiny. And hopefully as the result of that, you give me the benefit of the doubt.
Your guide to the permanent campaign weekday mornings, in your inbox.
James challenged Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) in 2018 and lost by 6 percentage points. Afterward, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell pushed for James to run again. GOP leaders regard the Michigan seat as one of their top pickup opportunities, and the National Republican Senatorial Committee has booked nearly $3 million for ads this fall.
Trump's campaign advisers were less enthusiastic about his second bid. Last year, the presidents political team wrote a memo to the Senate GOP campaign arm making the case that a James statewide candidacy would further amp up Democratic energy and involvement and potentially hurt Trumps prospects in the battleground state. Trump advisers instead pushed for James to run for a House seat.
Trump aides, who are constantly on the lookout for signs of Republican dissent, are suspicious that James is trying to have it both ways.
They were rankled when James, after announcing his Senate bid in June, tweeted, We are heading in the wrong direction as a country and our leaders in Washington are failing to lead us toward a better and brighter future.
Go here to see the original:
- What Donald Trumps Access Hollywood Weekend Says About 2020 - The New York Times - July 12th, 2020
- Jeff Sessions says he's fine with Donald Trump. Is that enough for Alabamians? - NBC News - July 12th, 2020
- President Donald Trump Tweetstorm The Sunday Edition - Deadline - July 12th, 2020
- Trump gives in to the mask but takes new risks with schools - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump wears a mask for first time in front of press pool - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump turns blind eye to pandemic and focuses on political grievances - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- The 1 big thing Donald Trump *still* doesn't get about the Supreme Court - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Mary Trump's scathing book claims Trump paid someone to take his SATs - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- The very clear dangers of Donald Trump's push to reopen schools - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Donald Trump's base-first strategy is working -- and dooming him - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Donald Trump wears mask in public for first time as it happened - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Trump slowly accepting that convention wont be four-night infomercial he wants - Tampa Bay Times - July 12th, 2020
- John Bolton and Mary Trump Seem to Agree on One Thing: Donald Trump Should Not Be in the White House - Vogue - July 12th, 2020
- Collins: Trump is going off on this decision on Twitter - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Bubba Wallace on Donald Trump: 'He did get one thing right' - 247Sports - July 12th, 2020
- Trump reveals results from alleged cognitive test - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump and McConnell are the twin tribunes of America's ruin vote them out - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Donald Trump fakes history in order to divide us - Brookings Institution - July 12th, 2020
- A Theme Park of Donald Trumps Dreams - The New Yorker - July 12th, 2020
- A list of people and things Donald Trump tried to get canceled before he railed against 'cancel culture' - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Donald Trump Jr. touts the shrinking of Utah's Bears Ears as opening land to public - Salt Lake Tribune - July 12th, 2020
- Pelosi: Trump's been a failure in every way from the start - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Here's exactly how detached from reality Donald Trump is on the coronavirus - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Why China Wants Donald Trump to Win - The Atlantic - July 12th, 2020
- She Sounded The Alarm On Donald Trump A Decade Ago. Now, Shes A Cofounder Of The Lincoln Project. - Forbes - July 12th, 2020
- Legal analyst on Stone: 'Our standards have sunk so low' - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Donald Trump finally wears mask in public - BBC News - July 12th, 2020
- Trump continues to ignore pandemic during trip to hotspot of Florida - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Too Much and Never Enough review: Mary Trump thumps Donald - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- 'Never Trump' movement returns for Act II, armed with President's own words and record - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump turns clock back 155 years with Confederacy-inspired election strategy - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump invites fear to the party - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump is a bigot and a hypocrite, but hes right to condemn China - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- How Donald Trump's vanity may have doomed his reelection bid - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump wears a mask during visit to wounded service members at Walter Reed - CNN - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Gave Us A Clue To How To Save Retail, Its Just That We Didnt Take Him Seriously - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump visited the golf course for the 275th time as President - Golf News Net - July 11th, 2020
- Christopher Buckley on Satire in the Age of Trump - The Atlantic - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Jr. expects Gov. Whitmer to block campaign rallies under guise of COVID pandemic - MLive.com - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump working on merit-based immigration order, and DACA - Hindustan Times - July 11th, 2020
- Trump implies he's ready to grant clemency to Roger Stone - CNN - July 11th, 2020
- How this 1950s self-help guru shaped Donald Trump's attitude toward life and business - CNBC - July 11th, 2020
- Trump Says He Will Grant Road to Citizenship for Young Migrants - Voice of America - July 11th, 2020
- What Donald Trump has really done: The most troubling visa queries, answered - Economic Times - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump, President Winning-by-Losing, Is, in Fact, Losing - The New Yorker - July 10th, 2020
- A guided tour into the troubled mind of Donald Trump - Newsday - July 10th, 2020
- Donald Trump has no idea why he wants a 2nd term - CNN - July 10th, 2020
- Trump threatens to cut funding of schools that don't reopen - CNN - July 10th, 2020
- Trump to hold campaign rally in New Hampshire on Saturday - CNN - July 10th, 2020
- Trump says he will pressure governors to reopen schools - CNN - July 10th, 2020
- Donald Trumps Lifelong Obsession with Comebacks - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Why No One Is Calling on Trump to Resign - The Atlantic - May 11th, 2020
- Trump sticks with positive messaging as coronavirus misery piles up - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Lashes Out Again At Chuck Todd, Calls For Him To Be Fired Over Edited Meet The Press Clip - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Trump ducks the real enemy - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Fallout in Trump's Washington as he rejects facts and science - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Why aren't editorial boards screaming: Trump has to go? - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Rosie O'Donnell working with Michael Cohen on tell-all about Donald Trump - Fox News - May 11th, 2020
- Trump is culpable in deaths of Americans, says Noam Chomsky - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump could freeze immigration for years - AS English - May 11th, 2020
- Last Week Tonight: John Oliver Talks Dismissal Of Michael Flynn Case And Donald Trumps Live And Let Die Coronavirus Strategy - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Trump says he only will submit to GOP oversight for his administration - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Going to Hate SNL's Season Finale Mother Jones - Mother Jones - May 11th, 2020
- The crude and callous coronavirus calculation of Chris Christie and Donald Trump | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Fact-checking five of Trump's false claims this week - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- The Best Thing That Happened This Week: No, the Phillies Didnt Scout Donald Trump in High School - Philadelphia magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Teenagers reveal what they really think of Donald Trump - The Conversation US - May 11th, 2020
- Anthony Fauci just crushed Donald Trump's theory on the origins of the coronavirus - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Trump, Biden gear up for battle in Florida, where coronavirus isn't the only thing on voters' minds - NBCNews.com - May 11th, 2020
- How Donald Trump, Joe Biden, and America Get Away With It - The Intercept - May 11th, 2020
- 11 US Secret Service agents test positive for the coronavirus - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 11th, 2020
- Trump's stage is caving in. Bring on the doctors. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump's big coronavirus sacrifice? Lunch. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump is driving Birx to a tough spot. It's about to get even tougher. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Republicans are stuck with Donald Trump - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trumps China Nightmare Is Coming True For The U.S. Dollar - Forbes - April 27th, 2020
- Trump's coronavirus leadership has been 'awful' for the US and the world, US entrepreneur says - CNBC - April 27th, 2020
- What Donald Trump Could Learn from Herbert Hoover - POLITICO - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump said coronavirus 'should have never happened.' What? - CNN - April 27th, 2020