To get a sense of just how much damage Donald Trump is doing each day, by making the daily White House briefings on the coronavirus pandemic mostly about himself, and distracting attention from vital updates on the public health emergency delivered by scientists, it helps to look at how very differently this is handled in other democracies.
In Greece, for example, the nation is briefed at 6 p.m. each evening by Dr. Sotirios Tsiodras, an unassuming professor of medicine who studied infectious diseases at Harvard and now leads the Greek governments coronavirus task force. Tsiodras, often reading from his notes, has been credited with helping to rally the nation to quickly accept a national lockdown that has, so far, been more successful than most, largely by presenting the science in a calm, rational voice of authority. On the rare occasions when his level-headed facade has cracked like a moment last month when he appealed to Greeks to protect their elderly relatives by staying at home the impact has been all the more powerful.
On Friday, Tsiodras announced that there were 56 new cases of Covid-19 in Greece, and four more deaths, bringing the total number of cases to 2,011, with 90 fatalities. He ended his opening remarks by calling for solidarity with the countrys Roma minority. There is no room for discrimination, for hatred, for fear, for division, for divisions in our society or in the rest of the worlds societies, Tsiodras said. What we need to overcome, what will help us overcome this pandemic, is above all unity and solidarity between us.
Greeces prime minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, has used Twitter not to attack regional officials or complain about the lockdowns impact on the economy, but to share a video showing how successful the drive to empty the nations streets has been.
In other words, Greeks live in something like the parallel universe Americans could inhabit if Trump would refrain from commenting on subjects he knows nothing about and let Dr. Anthony Fauci deliver calm, fact-based updates on the fight against virus, and occasional empathetic comments on the health disparities it has revealed in American society.
In France, President Emmanuel Macron is nowhere to be seen when the daily update on the spread of Covid-19 is delivered on live television by Dr. Jrme Salomon, an epidemiologist who is the chief medical advisor to the nations department of health. Salomon also takes questions from the press, because, according to LObs, a French news magazine, Macron wanted the public to be informed by a trusted expert, not a politician.
Although Macron did spend Thursday in Marseille, meeting with Prof. Didier Raoult, a virologist researching the potential use of the drug hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19 patients, the French president, unlike Trump, has declined to endorse the untested treatment as a miracle cure.
Germans also get their daily updates on the battle to slow the spread of the virus from a medical expert, Lothar Wieler, the head of the Robert Koch Institute, the federal agency responsible for disease control.
In Ireland, updates are delivered daily by Dr. Tony Holohan, the countrys chief medical officer, despite the fact that its current leader, Leo Varadkar, is also a doctor.
Holohan, like Tsiodras and Fauci, has become a local celebrity since the start of the pandemic because he is seen as a man of integrity who speaks in plain language.
Canadians get bilingual updates on the virus from news conferences led by an elected politician, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, but she largely defers to the medical experts, the chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, and her deputy, Dr. Howard Njoo.
Rather than attacking his political opponents or whining about criticism from the press, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has dedicated his media appearances to making the case to the public for the necessary measures recommended by the scientists.
At a provincial level in Canada, British Columbias daily briefings are led by Dr. Bonnie Henry, a public official modest enough to admit that part of the regions success so far has been down to luck.
In Spain, ministers deliver the updates, but alongside a medical expert, Dr. Fernando Simn, the director of Spains health emergency center, who was himself infected with the virus in March. The doctor, who has achieved a kind of cult status, recently rejoined the briefings by video link from quarantine.
Even in countries where politicians take the lead in providing updates, like Austria and Japan, officials have, unlike Trump, modeled good public behavior by observing social distancing and wearing masks.
The daily briefings in Britain, which are led by a senior politician, have been criticized by some observers as overly political even Trumpian defensive look-how-well-were-doing drivel. At one news conference before he became infected with Covid-19, Prime Minister Boris Johnson even shared the Trump-like boast that he had continued to shake hands, even while visiting a hospital treating coronavirus patients.
Yet at each briefing in London, the senior elected official leading it has been flanked by two medical experts who have been free to field questions from journalists after the politicians opening remarks.
Even two of the planets most Trump-like leaders, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey and President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, have allowed the experts to speak, mostly unimpeded.
Erdogan was criticized for initially downplaying the threat posed by the virus, but permits his health minister, Dr. Fahrettin Koca, to deliver science-based, daily updates on the effort to combat its spread.
Bolsonaro, who has denounced social distancing and threatened to fire his health minister, Dr. Luiz Henrique Mandetta for supporting it, still lets the doctor lead the daily updates for the public. On Thursday, Mandetta warned the public to beware of false prophets, promising cures, and mocked anti-vaxxers, claiming that as soon as a vaccine is developed for Covid-19, they will be the first to take it.
Bolsonaro shares Trumps fixation on the possibility that the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine could be a miracle cure for Covid-19, and his impatience with medical experts who want to see proof that it is safe and effective in randomized clinical trials before recommending it to patients. Last month, Facebook and Twitter deleted video of Bolsonaro saying that the drug was working everywhere to cure Covid-19, flagging it as a violation of their policies against spreading misinformation about the coronavirus.
As a result, Mandetta has reportedly resisted pressure from Brazils president to approve the use of hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19 patients at the first signs of illness. The health minister said earlier this week that doctors could prescribe the drug for outpatients, but they would have to take responsibility for the risks of possible side effects if they do. In the past two weeks, there have been 43 cases of heart trouble related to hydroxychloroquine treatment among coronavirus patients in France, according to that countrys drug safety agency.
Read this article:
- Donald Trumps Lifelong Obsession with Comebacks - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Why No One Is Calling on Trump to Resign - The Atlantic - May 11th, 2020
- Trump sticks with positive messaging as coronavirus misery piles up - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Lashes Out Again At Chuck Todd, Calls For Him To Be Fired Over Edited Meet The Press Clip - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Trump ducks the real enemy - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Fallout in Trump's Washington as he rejects facts and science - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Why aren't editorial boards screaming: Trump has to go? - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Rosie O'Donnell working with Michael Cohen on tell-all about Donald Trump - Fox News - May 11th, 2020
- Trump is culpable in deaths of Americans, says Noam Chomsky - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump could freeze immigration for years - AS English - May 11th, 2020
- Last Week Tonight: John Oliver Talks Dismissal Of Michael Flynn Case And Donald Trumps Live And Let Die Coronavirus Strategy - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Trump says he only will submit to GOP oversight for his administration - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Going to Hate SNL's Season Finale Mother Jones - Mother Jones - May 11th, 2020
- The one Republican Senate candidate willing to call out Donald Trump - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- The crude and callous coronavirus calculation of Chris Christie and Donald Trump | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Fact-checking five of Trump's false claims this week - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- The Best Thing That Happened This Week: No, the Phillies Didnt Scout Donald Trump in High School - Philadelphia magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Teenagers reveal what they really think of Donald Trump - The Conversation US - May 11th, 2020
- Anthony Fauci just crushed Donald Trump's theory on the origins of the coronavirus - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Trump, Biden gear up for battle in Florida, where coronavirus isn't the only thing on voters' minds - NBCNews.com - May 11th, 2020
- How Donald Trump, Joe Biden, and America Get Away With It - The Intercept - May 11th, 2020
- 11 US Secret Service agents test positive for the coronavirus - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 11th, 2020
- Trump's stage is caving in. Bring on the doctors. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump's big coronavirus sacrifice? Lunch. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump is driving Birx to a tough spot. It's about to get even tougher. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Republicans are stuck with Donald Trump - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trumps China Nightmare Is Coming True For The U.S. Dollar - Forbes - April 27th, 2020
- Trump's coronavirus leadership has been 'awful' for the US and the world, US entrepreneur says - CNBC - April 27th, 2020
- What Donald Trump Could Learn from Herbert Hoover - POLITICO - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump said coronavirus 'should have never happened.' What? - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Tapper: Trump's musings were there for all to see and hear - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- The 52 most off-the-wall lines from Donald Trump's Sunday night coronavirus briefing - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- What Would Donald Trump Do if Kim Jong-un Died? - The National Interest - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trumps Pathetic COVID-19 Response Is Killing Thousands of People - Vanity Fair - April 27th, 2020
- Like You, Donald Trump Wants a Break on His Rent - Mother Jones - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Living Groundhog Day in Reverseand We're All Stuck in His Nightmare - The Daily Beast - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Exploiting the Coronavirus Pandemic to Sell Campaign Swag - Mother Jones - April 27th, 2020
- Trump claims he will temporarily suspend immigration into US due to coronavirus fears - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- A Brief List of the Times Donald Trump Tried to Punish Jeff Bezos - Slate - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump just threw Georgia's governor directly under the bus on coronavirus - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Biden says he thinks Trump will try to delay the election - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- The Senate just proved Donald Trump wrong -- again -- on Russian interference in 2016 - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump and the coronavirus have exposed America as a declining empire: Time to face the facts - Salon - April 27th, 2020
- To Mr. Donald Trump, President of the United States | News, Sports, Jobs - Lock Haven Express - April 27th, 2020
- Trevor Noah Says President Donald Trump Is Like Eminem In The Song Stan - Deadline - April 27th, 2020
- Maryland has received 'hundreds of calls' about the effectiveness of ingesting disinfectants to treat coronavirus, governor says - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump: Immigration order to apply only to green cards - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump says briefings 'not worth the effort' amid fallout from disinfectant comments - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump set to fall back on xenophobia with re-election plan in tatters - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- In Deep review: Trump v intelligence and Obama vs the people - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Hillary Clinton: 'Please don't poison yourself because Donald Trump thinks it could be a good idea' | TheHill - The Hill - April 26th, 2020
- The Luxury of Irresponsibility - New York Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Trump attack on Biden highlights president's own past dealings with China - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Trump shocks in time of crisis with his standard approach - CNN - April 26th, 2020
- Season finale: Is this the end of the Trump show? - RTE.ie - April 26th, 2020
- Revealed: leader of group peddling bleach as coronavirus 'cure' wrote to Trump this week - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump Keeps Trying to Make Reality Disappear - The Daily Beast - April 26th, 2020
- Trump and Putin issue rare joint statement promoting cooperation - Reuters - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump says disinfectants and sunlight could be used as coronavirus treatments - msnNOW - April 26th, 2020
- Trump's surprise immigration ban expected to include major exemption - POLITICO - April 26th, 2020
- Whats behind Trumps fresh push to wrest control of Voice of America - POLITICO - April 26th, 2020
- Yes, Cindy Adams Is Still Besties With Donald Trump: What Did We Expect? - Vanity Fair - April 26th, 2020
- Trump says he's 'not determined' to open the country in May as it happened - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Berates CNNs Jim Acosta Over Happy Talk Question: These Are The Saddest News Conferences That Ive Ever Had - Deadline - April 11th, 2020
- Trump to announce council focused on reopening the US for business - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- Trump says he's not going to reopen economy 'until we know this country is going to be healthy' - CNBC - April 11th, 2020
- Here's the silver lining in the CNN poll for Donald Trump - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Trump tells faith leaders to let the country 'get healed' before holding in-person services - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Trump: Reopening the Country Too Early Could Kill People but So Could Staying at Home - Vanity Fair - April 11th, 2020
- Trump's poll numbers dip over handling of coronavirus pandemic - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- 'Now is not the time': WHO responds to Trump's threat to cut funding - CNBCTV18 - April 11th, 2020
- Under Cover of Covid-19, Donald Trump Ramps Up His War on Truth-Tellers - The Intercept - April 11th, 2020
- Trump fails the test: Yet more evidence he has no idea what he's doing - Salon - April 11th, 2020
- This Is Trumps Fault - The Atlantic - April 11th, 2020
- Here's the biggest thing Donald Trump doesn't get about the media - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Dr. Lance Dodes on Trump: A "predator" who "would be in prison" if he hadn't been born rich - Salon - April 11th, 2020
- Treasury acted appropriately on Trump tax returns: watchdog - NBCNews.com - April 11th, 2020
- Trump orders U.S. government to help Italy in coronavirus fight - Reuters - April 11th, 2020
- Trump's wild claims of voter fraud blow back on campaign aide - POLITICO - April 11th, 2020