Donald Trumps conduct in a week when Wednesdays record number of coronavirus deaths doubled next day to a new record of 4,591 can only be understood if you realize that the president is not a 73-year-old man with the experience and maturity that suggests. Trump is actually a 10-year-old having aged in reverse dog years. He has the crimped emotions and empathy of a deluded superhero (only I can fix it), the limitations of a C-student, and the work ethic of a pre-teen who resents any challenge to his fragile ego and responds positively only to praise. All he does now is try to make to reality disappear.
Seeing Trump as a captive of his immaturity is a way to anticipate and perhaps defend against his dangerous behavior that is getting worse as the stakes get higher. A know-it-all, hes opening the countrys parks, gyms, and restaurants not just against the advice of experts and the views of 80 percent of the country, but of usual sycophants like Sen. Lindsey Graham and a long list of CEOs, who constituted the highest IQ on a call ever but who for all their smarts, found their names read off without their permission. If you took a drink every time Trump called them and red state governors people who love our country as opposed to Democrats, whom he calls half-wits and whiners, youd be intoxicated by 7 p.m.
Trump requires close supervision, strict limits on his screen time, and guidance on how to tell real doctors from single-named celebrity ones like Dr. Oz.
To advance his plan, Trump cited large areas where the virus has been totally eradicated to justify premature emancipation. Is the large area hes referring to called Mars? Or is it South Dakota, one of those 29 states ready to open any moment, yet with a spot so hot the Smithfield plant in Sioux Falls had to close after 777 workers tested positive?
Thats tragic for those who consider bacon one of the four major food groups, and for Trumps argument. If a part of the country isnt infected, just give it a few days without social distancing and it will be. If an area is opened before it should be, wait a few days, and it will be reinfected. If Trump did his homework, hed know that after the Rev. Jerry Falwell, who acted to stop Democrats from harming the presidents economy, called students back to Liberty University, he saw the town hit by 78 new cases.
Parental guidance is advised. Trump requires close supervision, strict limits on his screen time, and guidance on how to tell real doctors from single-named celebrity ones like Dr. Oz, who told Trumps good buddy Sean Hannity that a mortality rate of 2 to 3 percent is an appetizing trade-off for jump-starting the economy. He needs a constant reminder that car accidents and smoking arent contagious.
Hes right about one thing: We cant believe the job hes done.
And how about getting Trump to put in a days work on a matter of life and death? Until D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowsers mid-March stay-at-home directive confined him to the White House,Trump spent much of the crisis at rallies and golfing. Hes home (mostly alone) now but still needs to spend less time in front of the TV, which only generates ill-advised tweet storms, and attend a meeting or two of his task force in the Situation Room, where the seating chart changes daily depending on who up and whos down in the presidents clique.
If Trump had anyone on staff not afraid of his cruel temper, he might have fixed his testing problem before the press noticed that his Power-Point presentation passing as a plan did nothing to increase that essential step in the process. While hes taken credit for tests that are the envy of the world and sniffed that hes president, not a guy clutching swabs in a parking lot 2,000 miles away, hes still stuck on his March 6 lie that anybody who wants to get a test can get a test and that Barack Obama didnt leave him one when the virus didnt exist back then.
At a rate of 3 million tests in three months, a majority of the country would be tested in six years. Cornered, Trump turned to Dr. Deborah Birx. After a word salad shes as famous for as for her scarves didnt fool anyone, Trump took his ball and left, clocking his shortest briefing ever on Thursday.
That didnt end the criticism. The next morning he was assailed by his arch-nemesis Gov. Andrew Cuomo, whos held his fire the last couple of weeks to move from the ungrateful ledger to the grateful one to wheedle ventilators out of the national stockpile Jared Kusher thought was his. Cuomo pleaded that a national problem required a national strategy and federal funds. Why dont you show as much consideration to your states as you did to your big businesses and your airlines? he asked. What am I supposed to do, send a bouquet of flowers?
Trump still has a childlike belief he can spin the virus, putting 60,000 deaths on the house, having chosen a model that predicted 2.2 million fatalities if he did nothing and by that faulty reasoning, congratulating himself for a job so well done no one can believe it.
What no one can believe, except the hardest core of his base, is that a con man in a gimme cap and a superhero cape clings to the notion he alone can fix everything, including a broken Dow Jones, and get us all to Splash Mountain at Disneyland without testing Mickey. Hes right about one thing: We cant believe the job hes done. On top of all the deaths that wouldnt have happened if thered been an adult in the White House, its too much to take in.
Read the original here:
- What Donald Trumps Access Hollywood Weekend Says About 2020 - The New York Times - July 12th, 2020
- Jeff Sessions says he's fine with Donald Trump. Is that enough for Alabamians? - NBC News - July 12th, 2020
- President Donald Trump Tweetstorm The Sunday Edition - Deadline - July 12th, 2020
- Trump gives in to the mask but takes new risks with schools - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump wears a mask for first time in front of press pool - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump turns blind eye to pandemic and focuses on political grievances - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- The 1 big thing Donald Trump *still* doesn't get about the Supreme Court - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Mary Trump's scathing book claims Trump paid someone to take his SATs - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- The very clear dangers of Donald Trump's push to reopen schools - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Donald Trump's base-first strategy is working -- and dooming him - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Donald Trump wears mask in public for first time as it happened - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Trump slowly accepting that convention wont be four-night infomercial he wants - Tampa Bay Times - July 12th, 2020
- John Bolton and Mary Trump Seem to Agree on One Thing: Donald Trump Should Not Be in the White House - Vogue - July 12th, 2020
- Collins: Trump is going off on this decision on Twitter - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Bubba Wallace on Donald Trump: 'He did get one thing right' - 247Sports - July 12th, 2020
- Trump reveals results from alleged cognitive test - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump and McConnell are the twin tribunes of America's ruin vote them out - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Donald Trump fakes history in order to divide us - Brookings Institution - July 12th, 2020
- A Theme Park of Donald Trumps Dreams - The New Yorker - July 12th, 2020
- A list of people and things Donald Trump tried to get canceled before he railed against 'cancel culture' - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Donald Trump Jr. touts the shrinking of Utah's Bears Ears as opening land to public - Salt Lake Tribune - July 12th, 2020
- Pelosi: Trump's been a failure in every way from the start - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Here's exactly how detached from reality Donald Trump is on the coronavirus - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Why China Wants Donald Trump to Win - The Atlantic - July 12th, 2020
- She Sounded The Alarm On Donald Trump A Decade Ago. Now, Shes A Cofounder Of The Lincoln Project. - Forbes - July 12th, 2020
- Legal analyst on Stone: 'Our standards have sunk so low' - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Donald Trump finally wears mask in public - BBC News - July 12th, 2020
- Trump continues to ignore pandemic during trip to hotspot of Florida - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Too Much and Never Enough review: Mary Trump thumps Donald - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- 'Never Trump' movement returns for Act II, armed with President's own words and record - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump turns clock back 155 years with Confederacy-inspired election strategy - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump invites fear to the party - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump is a bigot and a hypocrite, but hes right to condemn China - The Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- How Donald Trump's vanity may have doomed his reelection bid - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Trump wears a mask during visit to wounded service members at Walter Reed - CNN - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Gave Us A Clue To How To Save Retail, Its Just That We Didnt Take Him Seriously - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump visited the golf course for the 275th time as President - Golf News Net - July 11th, 2020
- Christopher Buckley on Satire in the Age of Trump - The Atlantic - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Jr. expects Gov. Whitmer to block campaign rallies under guise of COVID pandemic - MLive.com - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump working on merit-based immigration order, and DACA - Hindustan Times - July 11th, 2020
- Trump implies he's ready to grant clemency to Roger Stone - CNN - July 11th, 2020
- How this 1950s self-help guru shaped Donald Trump's attitude toward life and business - CNBC - July 11th, 2020
- Trump Says He Will Grant Road to Citizenship for Young Migrants - Voice of America - July 11th, 2020
- What Donald Trump has really done: The most troubling visa queries, answered - Economic Times - July 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump, President Winning-by-Losing, Is, in Fact, Losing - The New Yorker - July 10th, 2020
- A guided tour into the troubled mind of Donald Trump - Newsday - July 10th, 2020
- Donald Trump has no idea why he wants a 2nd term - CNN - July 10th, 2020
- Trump threatens to cut funding of schools that don't reopen - CNN - July 10th, 2020
- Trump to hold campaign rally in New Hampshire on Saturday - CNN - July 10th, 2020
- Trump says he will pressure governors to reopen schools - CNN - July 10th, 2020
- Donald Trumps Lifelong Obsession with Comebacks - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Why No One Is Calling on Trump to Resign - The Atlantic - May 11th, 2020
- Trump sticks with positive messaging as coronavirus misery piles up - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Lashes Out Again At Chuck Todd, Calls For Him To Be Fired Over Edited Meet The Press Clip - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Trump ducks the real enemy - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Fallout in Trump's Washington as he rejects facts and science - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Why aren't editorial boards screaming: Trump has to go? - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Rosie O'Donnell working with Michael Cohen on tell-all about Donald Trump - Fox News - May 11th, 2020
- Trump is culpable in deaths of Americans, says Noam Chomsky - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump could freeze immigration for years - AS English - May 11th, 2020
- Last Week Tonight: John Oliver Talks Dismissal Of Michael Flynn Case And Donald Trumps Live And Let Die Coronavirus Strategy - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Trump says he only will submit to GOP oversight for his administration - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Going to Hate SNL's Season Finale Mother Jones - Mother Jones - May 11th, 2020
- The one Republican Senate candidate willing to call out Donald Trump - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- The crude and callous coronavirus calculation of Chris Christie and Donald Trump | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Fact-checking five of Trump's false claims this week - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- The Best Thing That Happened This Week: No, the Phillies Didnt Scout Donald Trump in High School - Philadelphia magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Teenagers reveal what they really think of Donald Trump - The Conversation US - May 11th, 2020
- Anthony Fauci just crushed Donald Trump's theory on the origins of the coronavirus - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Trump, Biden gear up for battle in Florida, where coronavirus isn't the only thing on voters' minds - NBCNews.com - May 11th, 2020
- How Donald Trump, Joe Biden, and America Get Away With It - The Intercept - May 11th, 2020
- 11 US Secret Service agents test positive for the coronavirus - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 11th, 2020
- Trump's stage is caving in. Bring on the doctors. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump's big coronavirus sacrifice? Lunch. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump is driving Birx to a tough spot. It's about to get even tougher. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Republicans are stuck with Donald Trump - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trumps China Nightmare Is Coming True For The U.S. Dollar - Forbes - April 27th, 2020
- Trump's coronavirus leadership has been 'awful' for the US and the world, US entrepreneur says - CNBC - April 27th, 2020
- What Donald Trump Could Learn from Herbert Hoover - POLITICO - April 27th, 2020