Donald Trump just fired a warning shot at the fake news media hes long criticized. Trump is suing both the New York Times and the Washington Post for allegedly printing untrue information about his impeachment proceedings.
By bringing these lawsuits, Trump has surprisingly left himself vulnerable to prosecution for other legal matters.
Two women have filed defamation lawsuits against Donald Trump. Jean E. Carroll and Summer Zervos have accused the President of making forceful sexual advances toward them well before he ran for office. The women both say when they later told their stories, Trump lied and defamed them publicly.
Summer Zervos case against the President has been delayed after Trump argued that the U.S. Constitution says that state cases of this nature cant proceed while hes in office. But if he can proceed with his own case against the New York Times, he might open the door for his accusers to proceed against him.
Trump and his legal team are using the same argument to delay the Carroll case. But this week, Jean E. Carrolls legal team prepared for battle, armed with the fact that Trump himself is suing for defamation. That hypocrisy could make it difficult for Donald Trumps lawyers to prove that Carrolls case should be delayed.
As Carrolls lawyer Roberta Kaplan put it,
The president shouldnt be able to pick and choose which cases he wants to do while president and which cases he doesnt want to do.
There are likely many reasons that Trump doesnt want to see these defamation cases against him to move forward. If he did sexually assault Carroll or Zervos and it can be proven, Trump could find himself in another impeachment mess.
Back in the 90s President Bill Clinton was in a similar situation when he denied having a sexual encounter with Monica Lewinski. After the affair had been proven, Clinton was impeached for perjury.
If guilty, Trump faces a similar dilemma. Donald Trumps testimony in the Carroll case is likely to match what hes been saying all along that he doesnt know her. But that could be difficult to prove if the dress that Carroll wore on the day of their encounter contains Donald Trumps DNA.
Last year, Carroll dropped a bombshell saying she still had the dress she was wearing when Trump allegedly assaulted her. She also claims it hasnt been washed. The dress was processed as evidence and male DNA discovered. Her legal team requested a sample of Trumps DNA for comparison but Trump moved to delay the case until hes out of office.
To be sure, theres a long road ahead for Carroll even if the New York Times lawsuit paves the way for the case to move forward. But Donald Trumps pride could be his undoing if his own defamation cases set a precedent for his accusers.
Theres some question as to whether Trumps NYT suit could also impact the delayed Summer Zervos case. Both Zervos and Trump will need to submit their arguments to the court by May 11.
If Carroll is successful in using Trumps current suits to push her own case forward, Zervos may be able to rely on the same logic. Either way, Trump may not be able to escape unscathed.
This article was edited by Aaron Weaver.
Read more here:
- Donald Trumps Lifelong Obsession with Comebacks - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Why No One Is Calling on Trump to Resign - The Atlantic - May 11th, 2020
- Trump sticks with positive messaging as coronavirus misery piles up - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Lashes Out Again At Chuck Todd, Calls For Him To Be Fired Over Edited Meet The Press Clip - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Trump ducks the real enemy - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Fallout in Trump's Washington as he rejects facts and science - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Why aren't editorial boards screaming: Trump has to go? - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Rosie O'Donnell working with Michael Cohen on tell-all about Donald Trump - Fox News - May 11th, 2020
- Trump is culpable in deaths of Americans, says Noam Chomsky - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump could freeze immigration for years - AS English - May 11th, 2020
- Last Week Tonight: John Oliver Talks Dismissal Of Michael Flynn Case And Donald Trumps Live And Let Die Coronavirus Strategy - Deadline - May 11th, 2020
- Trump says he only will submit to GOP oversight for his administration - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Going to Hate SNL's Season Finale Mother Jones - Mother Jones - May 11th, 2020
- The one Republican Senate candidate willing to call out Donald Trump - POLITICO - May 11th, 2020
- The crude and callous coronavirus calculation of Chris Christie and Donald Trump | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Fact-checking five of Trump's false claims this week - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- The Best Thing That Happened This Week: No, the Phillies Didnt Scout Donald Trump in High School - Philadelphia magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Teenagers reveal what they really think of Donald Trump - The Conversation US - May 11th, 2020
- Anthony Fauci just crushed Donald Trump's theory on the origins of the coronavirus - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- Trump, Biden gear up for battle in Florida, where coronavirus isn't the only thing on voters' minds - NBCNews.com - May 11th, 2020
- How Donald Trump, Joe Biden, and America Get Away With It - The Intercept - May 11th, 2020
- 11 US Secret Service agents test positive for the coronavirus - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 11th, 2020
- Trump's stage is caving in. Bring on the doctors. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump's big coronavirus sacrifice? Lunch. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump is driving Birx to a tough spot. It's about to get even tougher. - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Republicans are stuck with Donald Trump - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trumps China Nightmare Is Coming True For The U.S. Dollar - Forbes - April 27th, 2020
- Trump's coronavirus leadership has been 'awful' for the US and the world, US entrepreneur says - CNBC - April 27th, 2020
- What Donald Trump Could Learn from Herbert Hoover - POLITICO - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump said coronavirus 'should have never happened.' What? - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Tapper: Trump's musings were there for all to see and hear - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- The 52 most off-the-wall lines from Donald Trump's Sunday night coronavirus briefing - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- What Would Donald Trump Do if Kim Jong-un Died? - The National Interest - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trumps Pathetic COVID-19 Response Is Killing Thousands of People - Vanity Fair - April 27th, 2020
- Like You, Donald Trump Wants a Break on His Rent - Mother Jones - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Living Groundhog Day in Reverseand We're All Stuck in His Nightmare - The Daily Beast - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Exploiting the Coronavirus Pandemic to Sell Campaign Swag - Mother Jones - April 27th, 2020
- Trump claims he will temporarily suspend immigration into US due to coronavirus fears - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- A Brief List of the Times Donald Trump Tried to Punish Jeff Bezos - Slate - April 27th, 2020
- Donald Trump just threw Georgia's governor directly under the bus on coronavirus - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Biden says he thinks Trump will try to delay the election - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- The Senate just proved Donald Trump wrong -- again -- on Russian interference in 2016 - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump and the coronavirus have exposed America as a declining empire: Time to face the facts - Salon - April 27th, 2020
- To Mr. Donald Trump, President of the United States | News, Sports, Jobs - Lock Haven Express - April 27th, 2020
- Trevor Noah Says President Donald Trump Is Like Eminem In The Song Stan - Deadline - April 27th, 2020
- Maryland has received 'hundreds of calls' about the effectiveness of ingesting disinfectants to treat coronavirus, governor says - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump: Immigration order to apply only to green cards - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- Trump says briefings 'not worth the effort' amid fallout from disinfectant comments - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump set to fall back on xenophobia with re-election plan in tatters - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- In Deep review: Trump v intelligence and Obama vs the people - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Hillary Clinton: 'Please don't poison yourself because Donald Trump thinks it could be a good idea' | TheHill - The Hill - April 26th, 2020
- The Luxury of Irresponsibility - New York Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Trump attack on Biden highlights president's own past dealings with China - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Trump shocks in time of crisis with his standard approach - CNN - April 26th, 2020
- Season finale: Is this the end of the Trump show? - RTE.ie - April 26th, 2020
- Revealed: leader of group peddling bleach as coronavirus 'cure' wrote to Trump this week - The Guardian - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump Keeps Trying to Make Reality Disappear - The Daily Beast - April 26th, 2020
- Trump and Putin issue rare joint statement promoting cooperation - Reuters - April 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump says disinfectants and sunlight could be used as coronavirus treatments - msnNOW - April 26th, 2020
- Trump's surprise immigration ban expected to include major exemption - POLITICO - April 26th, 2020
- Whats behind Trumps fresh push to wrest control of Voice of America - POLITICO - April 26th, 2020
- Yes, Cindy Adams Is Still Besties With Donald Trump: What Did We Expect? - Vanity Fair - April 26th, 2020
- No Other Leader Politicizes Pandemic Briefings Like Trump - The Intercept - April 11th, 2020
- Trump says he's 'not determined' to open the country in May as it happened - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- Donald Trump Berates CNNs Jim Acosta Over Happy Talk Question: These Are The Saddest News Conferences That Ive Ever Had - Deadline - April 11th, 2020
- Trump to announce council focused on reopening the US for business - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- Trump says he's not going to reopen economy 'until we know this country is going to be healthy' - CNBC - April 11th, 2020
- Here's the silver lining in the CNN poll for Donald Trump - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Trump tells faith leaders to let the country 'get healed' before holding in-person services - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Trump: Reopening the Country Too Early Could Kill People but So Could Staying at Home - Vanity Fair - April 11th, 2020
- Trump's poll numbers dip over handling of coronavirus pandemic - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- 'Now is not the time': WHO responds to Trump's threat to cut funding - CNBCTV18 - April 11th, 2020
- Under Cover of Covid-19, Donald Trump Ramps Up His War on Truth-Tellers - The Intercept - April 11th, 2020
- Trump fails the test: Yet more evidence he has no idea what he's doing - Salon - April 11th, 2020
- This Is Trumps Fault - The Atlantic - April 11th, 2020
- Here's the biggest thing Donald Trump doesn't get about the media - CNN - April 11th, 2020
- Dr. Lance Dodes on Trump: A "predator" who "would be in prison" if he hadn't been born rich - Salon - April 11th, 2020
- Treasury acted appropriately on Trump tax returns: watchdog - NBCNews.com - April 11th, 2020
- Trump orders U.S. government to help Italy in coronavirus fight - Reuters - April 11th, 2020