We are in the midst of the worst pandemic in more than 100 years with over 200,000 deaths; horrendous fires raged in California, Oregon and Washington; the economy teeters on the brink. Meanwhile, President Trump was at a rally in Nevada with massive crowds (over the state and federal guidelines) with mostly mask-less people leading the crowd in chants of Lock him up!, referring to President Barack Obama.
Let that sink in. Now ask yourself: Can America withstand four more years of Donald Trump? Absolutely not. America is better than Trump.
No one can convince Trumps hard-core base to give up on their fuhrer, er, leader. Theyve drunk the Kool Aid. Everything Trump says is true; everything else is fake news. Luckily, Trumps rabid cult encompasses only about 35 percent of the population at most.
So heres my take on the numbers. Hard-core Trump supporters: 35 percent; hard-core Trump haters: 45 percent. That leaves 20 percent undecided. This article is directed at the undecided group.
Consider science. Trump downplayed the corona virus even though he knew it was lethal. He told Bob Woodward that he didnt want to spread fear among the public. Yet in his rallies he tries to do just that, claiming that the country would go to hell if Biden is elected. Trump consistently refutes health officials in his own government who give statements based on science; then he tries to bully them into submission.
Trump denies climate change, stating that it was not the cause, for example, of the fires in the northwest, assuring Americans that things will get cooler. The Scientific American magazine recently came out endorsing Joe Biden, the magazines first-ever presidential endorsement, because Trump rejects science and evidence. The American public can take the truth, Mr. President, but we cant take your lies. America is better than that.
Consider the military. Trump dodged the draft because of bone spurs. He claims to love the military, yet he disparaged Vietnam War hero John McCain for getting captured. Even worse, it recently came to light and confirmed by several sources that Trump has referred to veterans as suckers and losers. Trump has no allegiance to the military or to anyone else outside himself or his immediate family. America deserves a patriotic Commander in Chief.
Consider Trumps allegiance to dictators. When it came to light that Russia had paid bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing Americans and other allied service members in Afghanistan, Trump did nothing to investigate these charges or demand a retaliation. For whatever reason, Trump never dares to take on Putin. After Saudi Arabia masterminded the brutal slaying of Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi dissident and American journalist, Trump ordered no retaliation that might upset his buddy, the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
Consider Attorney General William Barr. Since assuming the office, Bill Barr has brazenly and willingly served as Trumps Roy Cohn and fixer, working on behalf of Trump, not the American public. Sixty-five faculty members an astounding 80% of the faculty at the George Washington University Law School, Barrs alma mater, wrote a joint letter noting that Barr has failed to fulfill his oath of office by undermining the rule of law and breaching the Constitution. America deserves better than Trump, a tin pot dictator. America deserves a leader who will abide by the Constitution.
Consider, too, how many of Trumps political aides have been charged with or convicted of felonies: Michael Cohen (tax fraud, lying to Congress) Paul Manafort and Rick Gates (several financial crimes), Roger Stone (obstruction, witness tampering, lying to Congress), Michael Flynn (lying to the FBI) and Steve Bannon (fraud), among others. That said, Trump is in good company when it come to being a grifter. He paid only $750 in taxes in 2016 ad 2017 and appears to be millions of dollars in debt. His Im a great businessman claim has been blown up.
Consider Karma. Trump , who now has he virus, has mocked people who wear masks since the beginning of this pandemic. At the first Presidential debate in Cleveland, Trump made fun of Biden for wearing a mask. Moreover, Trumps immediate family refused to wear masks even though masks were required at the facility. Closer to home, at a fundraiser in Maine attended by Donald Trump, Jr., photos revealed crowds packed closely together and not wearing masks. Call it entitlement swaddled in ignorance and infused with arrogance.
Theres not enough space in this column to address other salient issues, such as the disparaging comments that retired generals have made about Trump or the fake Trump University and the fake Trump Foundation or Trumps ugly comments regarding peaceful protestors or his constant bullying and belittling of the press. That probably doesnt matter since most Americans and readers of this column have made up their minds about Trumps personal qualities and character. I just hope and pray that enough voters who pulled the lever for this con man in 2020, will make the right choice, the patriotic choice, in November. Our nations very democracy rests on the upcoming election. America is better than Trump.
David Treadwell, a Brunswick writer, welcomes commentary and suggestions for future Just a Little Old columns. [emailprotected]
See the rest here:
- Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom ... - December 17th, 2020
- Proud Boys' party is over: Trump fans throw tantrums because they've lost more than an election - Salon - December 17th, 2020
- Empowering Student-Athletes Is at the Heart of an Exciting New Fellowship - UVA Today - October 24th, 2020
- The Singularity: Just Another Chapter | by Michael Woronko | The Apeiron Blog | Oct, 2020 - Medium - October 24th, 2020
- Why A Gamer Started A Web Of Disinformation Sites Aimed At Latino Americans - FiveThirtyEight - October 24th, 2020
- 'I'm a big deal in my living room': Jane Gazzo talks radio, TV and the future of music - Sydney Morning Herald - October 24th, 2020
- I didnt even know I was doing this: Meth addiction blamed for mans child exploitation stash - NEWS.com.au - October 24th, 2020
- Q: First FSE WordPress Theme Now Live - WP Tavern - October 24th, 2020
- Why #ArrestAjazKhan is trending on Twitter? Everything you need to know - Newsd.in - October 24th, 2020
- FAA cuts the red tape for commercial rocket launches (and landings, too) - Space.com - October 17th, 2020
- The future of the U.S. Coast Guard is in outer space - Brookings Institution - October 17th, 2020
- Space Propulsion Market by Type, System Component, Platform, Orbit, End-user, Orbit, Support Service, and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - October 17th, 2020
- Kleos Space launch team arrive in India for final preparations before the imminent launch of mission satellites - sUAS News - October 17th, 2020
- Donald Trump's Strength Did Not Beat the Coronavirus - The Atlantic - October 10th, 2020
- That Gallup poll doesn't say what Donald Trump thinks it does - CNN - October 10th, 2020
- Avlon: Donald Trump is a drag on the ticket - CNN - October 10th, 2020
- Donald Trump Doesnt Seem to Know What Year It Is, Who Hes Running Against (Hint: Not Hillary Clinton) - Vanity Fair - October 10th, 2020
- Here's how you know Donald Trump is panicking about the 2020 election - CNN - October 10th, 2020
- Donald Trump Bashes Fox News In Two-Hour Marathon On Rush Limbaughs Show - Deadline - October 10th, 2020
- The Entire Presidency Is a Superspreading Event - New York Magazine - October 10th, 2020
- Donald Trump Jr. stumps for fathers re-election in Rowland - The Robesonian - October 10th, 2020
- A critic's view: the delusion of Trump's Covid-19 victory photo - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- How does Donald Trumps Covid care compare to the average 74-year-olds? - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- Covid-19 has unmasked the true nature of Donald Trump and Trumpism - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- Donald Trump is a (tax) loser, just like a lot of other people | TheHill - The Hill - October 10th, 2020
- Update: Here's what is known about Trump's COVID-19 treatment - Science Magazine - October 10th, 2020
- This is a stunning and historic rebuke of Donald Trump's presidency - CNN - October 10th, 2020
- Trump lashes out at Barr after realizing inquiry into Russia probe won't be public before election - USA TODAY - October 10th, 2020
- Donald Trump is losing by 16 in a new CNN poll. And that's not the worst news. - CNN - October 10th, 2020
- The Presidents Latest Silver Bullet - The Atlantic - October 10th, 2020
- The Creepy Trump Meme Taking Over Twitter - The Atlantic - October 10th, 2020
- After Donald Trump's deranged balcony address, we're all gasping together - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- 'Blessing from God': Infected Trump releases video without mask - CNN - October 10th, 2020
- CNNs Chris Cuomo Rips Donald Trumps Choreographed Return To White House: What A Bunch Of Bullsh*t - Deadline - October 10th, 2020
- Flies, Birds and Baby Bears: How Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Jimmy Fallon Have Handled Animals on TV - The Advocate - October 10th, 2020
- The Superspreading Presidency of Donald Trump - WIRED - October 10th, 2020
- The political history of concealing illness - Newsday - October 10th, 2020
- Nurse who has seen 'hundreds of people suffocating to death' moved to tears after Trump downplayed coronavirus - CNN - October 10th, 2020
- Mainstream media is the biggest amplifier of White House disinformation - MIT Technology Review - October 8th, 2020
- Trumps antibody treatment was tested using cells originally derived from an abortion - MIT Technology Review - October 8th, 2020
- Donald Trump's election threat is actually worse than it appears - CNN - September 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump's Disjointed and Misleading UN Address - Council on Foreign Relations - September 26th, 2020
- Here Are Twenty Other Disturbing, Awful Things That Trump Has Said This Month, and Its Not Over Yet - The New Yorker - September 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump gives himself an 'A+' for his handling of the coronavirus. Uh, what? - CNN - September 26th, 2020
- Donald in Blunderland: Trump won't commit to peaceful power transfer at surreal press briefing - The Guardian - September 26th, 2020
- At the United Nations this week, US President Donald Trump will be denied something he loves -- a live audience - CNN - September 26th, 2020
- 'His abuses have escalated': Barr's kinship with Trump fuels election fears - The Guardian - September 26th, 2020
- 'I Moved on Her Very Heavily': Part 4 - The Atlantic - September 26th, 2020
- Biden fires back at Trump: What country are we in? - CNN - September 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump booed by crowd while he pays respects to RBG - CNN - September 26th, 2020
- After tell-all book, Mary Trump sues President Trump and his siblings, claims they cheated her of millions - USA TODAY - September 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump Jr. Is Recruiting an Election Day Army Mother Jones - Mother Jones - September 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump seems to think he has already won the Nobel Peace Prize - CNN - September 26th, 2020
- Trump to sign executive orders protecting preexisting conditions and seeking a way to prevent surprise medical bills - CNBC - September 26th, 2020
- Trump says he has approved a deal for purchase of TikTok - CNN - September 26th, 2020
- Jeff Zucker helped create Donald Trump. That show may be ending - Economic Times - September 26th, 2020
- 'It affects virtually nobody': Fact-checking Trump's continued efforts to downplay the risks of coronavirus - CNN - September 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump recycles much of his 2016 message as he accepts renomination - CNN - August 28th, 2020
- Trump calls this the 'most important election in history' - CNN - August 28th, 2020
- Donald Trump Jr. Is Ready. But for What, Exactly? - The New York Times - August 28th, 2020
- The continuity between George W. Bush and Donald Trump - Vox.com - August 28th, 2020
- How Trump Mastered the Art of Telling History His Way - POLITICO - August 28th, 2020
- Trump has used this word over 250 times this year - CNN - August 28th, 2020
- No, Donald Trump Has Not Stood By the Troops Mother Jones - Mother Jones - August 28th, 2020
- '#Unfit: The Psychology of Donald Trump': Film Review - Hollywood Reporter - August 28th, 2020
- New York probing whether Donald Trump and the Trump Organization manipulated asset values - Reuters - August 28th, 2020
- Webcast: Age of Extinction - Corruption in Donald Trump's Dept of Interior - Oregon WildBlog - August 28th, 2020
- Trump goes dark on TV as early voting looms - POLITICO - August 28th, 2020
- How Donald Trump canceled the Republican party - The Guardian - August 28th, 2020
- The Desperation of Donald Trump Jr. - The Nation - August 28th, 2020
- The Incestuous Relationship Between Donald Trump and Fox News - The New York Times - August 28th, 2020
- Donald Trump was finally asked about Sarah Cooper's viral impersonations of him - CNN - August 28th, 2020
- Mark Zuckerberg reportedly warned President Trump about the rise of Chinese tech firms - CNBC - August 28th, 2020
- Trump's coalition is narrowing - CNN - August 25th, 2020
- 'The Trump show' continues as RNC heads to second night packed with Donald's family US politics live - The Guardian - August 25th, 2020
- Ex-NFL star Herschel Walker on what Donald Trump taught him during their 37-year friendship - CNBC - August 25th, 2020
- What if President Donald Trump loses and wont leave the White House? Amherst College professors book explor - MassLive.com - August 25th, 2020
- This is one of the most dangerous things Donald Trump has done as president - CNN - August 25th, 2020
- Donald Trump: Where does the Republican president stand on key issues? - BBC News - August 25th, 2020
- Trump kicks off first day of RNC with dark warning - CNN - August 25th, 2020