Police checks on the observance of quarantine measuresAzrbaycan Respublikas Daxili Nazirliyi Ilr / Twitter Turkish Police checks on the observance of quarantine measuresTrk Polis Tekilat / / Twitter
human rights activists around the world pay attention to the fact that some governments are trying to use combat coronavirus as a pretext to increase pressure on the opposition and uncontrolled media. Officials also tend to give extremely broad powers.
Examples of this policy, particularly in the post-Soviet space, leads to BBC Russian service. So, on March 19 the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev stated that the fifth column and national traitors can use the pandemic coronavirus to commit provocations. He accused the opposition of trying to sow confusion and panic. After that, the country has carried out arrests of opposition leaders.
In Armenia government ordered the media to publish information only from official sources. In the end, the Public television of Armenia was forced to remove an article which quoted the CNN report that Irans average every 10 minutes someone dies from itarenavirus.
the actions of the authorities of Armenia criticized the OSCE and the international organization reporters without borders. Shortly after this the Yerevan partially backed down. Authorities allowed to publish information on the topic of coronavirus, obtained from official international sources.
However, all restrictions applied only to publications related to the coronavirus. Materials on other topics are not censored.
In Belarus 152 cases of coronavirus, 1 died. Restrictions are not imposed and the authorities clearly underestimate the threat. But the proliferation of information on the coronavirus is in full swing.
a Week ago the countrys President Alexander Lukashenko ordered the KGB to deal with the sources of information that sow panic about the outbreak of coronavirus. Already enough to look at it. Should be a good go to these sites, channels. You need to understand the villains who throw these fakes. Why are people bullied? Lukashenka said.
the President also said that he sees no reason for postponing the elections of the heads of Belarus, scheduled for August 2020. The opposition has canceled a meeting with voters in the regions due to the threat of the spread of coronavirus.
In Turkey coronavirus has infected more than 10 thousand people, 168 died, in 18 provinces has been quarantined. More than 300 people were arrested for publishing in social networks related to the coronavirus.
was recently arrested driver of the truck that issued your account a video criticizing the actions of the authorities to contain the epidemic.
In Hungarian coronavirus were detected in 492 people, of whom 15 died. The country has a regime of emergency. The Prime Minister of Hungary Viktor Orban, referring to special circumstances in connection with pandasAMIA, on Monday held a law through Parliament, giving his government extraordinary powers for an indefinite period, during which the government will actually govern without Parliament, only informing the speaker and faction leaders about the measures taken.
the law, among other things, provides for the punishment for the spread of what the government considers misinformation about the pandemic from one year to five years in prison. The opposition believes this is another attempt by Orban to freedom of the press.
In China more than 81 thousand people fell ill COVID-19. 3 305 sick died, the quarantine regime was introduced in several provinces.The study of human rights organization Citizen Lab showed that Chinas censor even messages in social networks. The authorities tried to prevent the dissemination of information about the coronavirus even in the medical community since its introduction. Thus, they only exacerbated the situation.
One of those who first raised the alarm, was the doctor If Vanillan, which informed the colleagues about the new virus. Soon after that, Lee called the police and demanded an end to panic and make a public apology. A little later the doctor himself contracted the coronavirus died 7 Feb.
According to the research organization Citizen Lab, working on issues of Internet censorship under pressure from the government censored information and the most popular instant messenger of China WeChat. The researchers found that is now banned over 500 phrases associated with the theme of the coronavirus.
Among them Wuhan Communist party of China, crisis Beijing, Western medicine is a coronavirus, as well as the critics of the government to contain the epidemic. Some accounts were completely blocked, and their authors were put under surveillance.
the authorities of the Chinese province HangOU require citizens to use a special app Ant on smartphones for access to public places. It assigns each user to Hangzhou QR code green, yellow or red. It must be shown at the entrance to office buildings, residential buildings, shopping centres and public transport.
Code green means that the user can move freely in the province. The owners of the yellow code needs to spend a week at home in isolation. But those who have flashed code red, send to a mandatory two-week quarantine.
By the end of February codes were almost 90% of the provinces population (50 million people). More than one million of them received a yellow or red code. On what principle are assigned to the codes is unclear.
According to the Ant, the program automatically sinhroniziruete and analyzes large amounts of data, including on the movement of users, and then draws conclusions about the state of their health.
the Developer Ant is a system Alipay, which is Chinas 900 million users. According to the New York Times, with each scan code app records the location and reports it to the police.
According to journalists, in the future, a new application can become a tool of surveillance of the state over citizens. In Chinas state media write that the system will help the work of checkpoints at train stations and highways.
Digital concentration camp, in the words of the oppositionist Leonid Volkov, and prepares the city for Muscovites. Officials in a hurry to implement a massive system of spying on residents who are required to comply with the quarantine. On every exit from the house, including taking out the garbage, citizens will have to obtain special permission, in the form of a QR code, as in China. Special privilege bespreadtively to move will receive only security forces and other officials.
Originally posted here:
- Letter: Censorship and the CPSDB - The Suburban Times - February 11th, 2021
- Chilling trend toward censorship - Chicago Daily Herald - February 11th, 2021
- Government censorship threats over TikTok spiked interest in VPNs - ZDNet - February 11th, 2021
- For a brief period, there was a platform for sensitive political debate in China. Then censors shut it down - CNN - February 11th, 2021
- Why I think censorship is important in the age of social media | Column - The Daily Collegian Online - February 11th, 2021
- Send a Big Message to Big Tech: Stop the Censorship - National Federation of Republican Women - February 11th, 2021
- Response to Censorship, freedom of speech article - The Tryon Daily Bulletin - Tryon Daily Bulletin - February 11th, 2021
- Facebook's depoliticization aimed at censorship of left-wing and socialist organizations - WSWS - February 11th, 2021
- Sundance 2021 Review: CENSOR, The Danger Of Confusing Fiction With Reality - ScreenAnarchy - February 11th, 2021
- Blacklisting And Censorship Are Hallmarks Of Repressive Societies - The Federalist - February 11th, 2021
- Censorship or conspiracy theory? Trump supporters say Facebook and Twitter censor them but conservatives still rule social media - USA TODAY - December 5th, 2020
- OIF Seeks Information on 2020 Censorship Incidents | News and Press Center - ala.org - December 5th, 2020
- In India, a Clash of Digital Innovation and Internet Censorship - CoinDesk - Coindesk - November 30th, 2020
- Censored Planet: University of Michigan research finds worldwide increase in internet censorship - WSWS - November 30th, 2020
- Twitter claims it has reversed ban of link to Sidney Powell's Georgia election lawsuit - Fox Business - November 30th, 2020
- Jeanine Pirro Thinks Big Tech is Censoring Her Text Messages - Mediaite - November 30th, 2020
- Censorship In The Biden Era - OpEd - Eurasia Review - November 30th, 2020
- Ex-Employee Confesses! Behind-the-Scenes of Google Censorship - The Liberty Web English - November 30th, 2020
- The attempt to censor Jordan Peterson shows the intolerance of the social justice generation - Telegraph.co.uk - November 30th, 2020
- PlayStation Reportedly Censoring PS5 Users on Twitter - ComicBook.com - November 30th, 2020
- Ted Nugents Wife Shemane Targets Instagram For The Recent Censor But She Puts It Again On Instagram To Find A Solution For Free Speech - Metalhead... - November 30th, 2020
- Censorship - Wikipedia - November 28th, 2020
- What Is Censorship? | American Civil Liberties Union - November 28th, 2020
- What is Censorship? - National Coalition Against Censorship - November 28th, 2020
- Censorship on social media? It's not what you think - CBS News - November 28th, 2020
- 'Welcome To The Party, Zoom': Video App's Rules Lead To Accusations Of Censorship - NPR - November 28th, 2020
- ICANN Can Stand Against Censorship (And Avoid Another .ORG Debacle) by Keeping Content Regulation and Other Dangerous Policies Out of Its Registry... - November 28th, 2020
- Ted Cruz digs in for congressional battle over censorship on Twitter, Facebook - Houston Chronicle - November 28th, 2020
- The Dangerous Inversions of the Debate Around Trans Censorship - The New Republic - November 28th, 2020
- Carter Estes: Effort to ban Trump officials from Harvard is a dangerous attack on free speech and education - Fox News - November 28th, 2020
- Meet the Censored: Andre Damon - WSWS - November 28th, 2020
- Donald Trump says Twitter censorship is a national security issue - Washington Times - November 28th, 2020
- In hybrid online-offline format, theatre fest explores the Unexpressed, censorship of womens bodies and artistic collaborations - The Indian Express - November 28th, 2020
- Was this censorship?: Noam Chomsky, Vijay Prashad ask Tata Lit Live after it cancels their discussion - The Hindu - November 28th, 2020
- Tata Lit Fest cancels a discussion between Noam Chomsky and Vijay Prashad, raising concerns of censorship - Frontline - November 28th, 2020
- Barcelona members strike back vs. Bartomeu: What does 'motion of censorship' mean, and what's next? - ESPN - September 18th, 2020
- What the *, Nintendo? This in-game censorship is * terrible. - EFF - September 18th, 2020
- Social media censorship in Egypt targets women on TikTok - The World - September 18th, 2020
- Trumps Partial TikTok And WeChat Ban Tip-Toes Into Chinese-Style Censorship - Forbes - September 18th, 2020
- Judd Apatow Criticizes Hollywood's Censorship For International Market: China Has Bought Our Silence With Their Money - Deadline - September 18th, 2020
- Bangladesh in the Shadow of Censorship The Diplomat - The Diplomat - September 18th, 2020
- Why is the government pushing unprecedented online censorship? - Telegraph.co.uk - September 18th, 2020
- Not Content to Censor Conservatives, Zuckerberg Now Seeks to Meddle in Election - National Legal and Policy Center - September 18th, 2020
- New Alliance to Track and Fight Censoring of Conservatives - CBN News - September 18th, 2020
- Reading the Evolution of Censorship and Sedition in India - The Wire - September 18th, 2020
- China's Influence on the Global Human Rights System - Human Rights Watch - September 18th, 2020
- China Isn't Hiding the Border Tensions With India From Its Public Anymore - The Diplomat - September 18th, 2020
- Call Trumps Attacks On The 1619 Project What They Are Censorship of American History - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook is bringing an updated content censorship term for its users from October 1st - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Will Joe Rogan Have The Guts To Call Out Spotify For 'Censorship'? - CCN.com - September 6th, 2020
- Joe Rogans Spotify move condemned by fans over right-wing censorship claims - The Independent - September 6th, 2020
- Shadow banning and its role in modern day censorship - Cherwell Online - September 6th, 2020
- Apple reacts to censorship censure - Mobile World Live - September 6th, 2020
- TunnelBear Circumvents Iran VPN Block, Launches 10GB Monthly Offer in the Country - Business Wire - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook is changing its Terms of Service, and users are not happy - Windows Central - September 6th, 2020
- End the blacklist of the World Socialist Web Site on Reddit! - WSWS - September 6th, 2020
- Kahle: Upholding the public trust - The Register-Guard - September 6th, 2020
- Science protections must be enforceable | TheHill - The Hill - September 6th, 2020
- Reddit isnt happy about President Trumps anti-censorship executive order - Reclaim The Net - September 6th, 2020
- Forget TikTok. Chinas Powerhouse App Is WeChat. - The New York Times - September 6th, 2020
- The shaky upcoming national election environment can be fixed - JNS.org - September 6th, 2020
- Kyle Rittenhouse lawyer Lin Wood threatens to sue Twitter over censorship - Reclaim The Net - September 4th, 2020
- Finding human territory in a fractured world - The Tech - September 4th, 2020
- We dont believe in censorship: Controversial Aboriginal commentator to lead WA festival amid fear of backlash from Noongar people - WAtoday - September 4th, 2020
- How WeChat Censored the Coronavirus Pandemic - WIRED - August 28th, 2020
- Voter Advocacy Orgs Sue Trump Administration for Executive Order Threatening Social Media Censorship - EFF - August 28th, 2020
- Kuwait eases censorship laws after banning 5000 titles in last 7 years - The Indian Express - August 28th, 2020
- Buffy's Amber Benson on censorship, the musical, and Tara's death - digitalspy.com - August 28th, 2020
- Kuwait relaxes book censorship laws after banning thousands of titles - The Guardian - August 28th, 2020
- Film and Publications Amendment Act: Protecting, not censoring, our citizens in the digital age - Daily Maverick - August 28th, 2020
- Chinas wrath on Hong Kong is causing artists to self-censor - Reclaim The Net - August 28th, 2020
- Here are 5 excuses liberals have put forward in defence of modern day book burning, and why it makes them look like total morons - OpIndia - August 28th, 2020
- Jessie and Austins aunt vs TikTok the debate around censorship of Bodies in the Suitcase video - HITC - August 28th, 2020
- Artists Ai Weiwei and Fang Fang's depictions of the Wuhan lockdown - DW (English) - August 28th, 2020
- A Radioactive Plague: The secrecy and censorship surrounding civilian deaths from World War II - Milwaukee Independent - August 10th, 2020
- Censorship on the internet in 2020: The potential effects of TikTok - Film Daily - August 10th, 2020
- Wicker: Time to address online censorship - The Vicksburg Post - Vicksburg Post - August 10th, 2020
- Open Technology Fund Authorization Act - BORGEN - Borgen Project - August 10th, 2020
- The Logic of a US WeChat Ban - The Diplomat - August 10th, 2020
- Ben Domenech Clashes With Joe Trippi Over Censorship Of Trump's Social Media - The Federalist - August 10th, 2020