Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy thinks removing Infowars was a good first step and says tech giants should censor more content. (murphy.senate.gov)
Sen. Chris Murphy thinks tech giants banning Alex Jones Infowars is a good start, but says the survival of our democracy depends on sites like Facebook and YouTube removing additional content.
Infowars is the tip of a giant iceberg of hate and lies that uses sites like Facebook and YouTube to tear our nation apart. These companies must do more than take down one website. The survival of our democracy depends on it, Murphy, D-Conn., tweeted on Monday.
The controversial Jones and his Infowars content were removed from Facebook, YouTube, Apple and Spotify this week. Jonesis a notorious conspiracy theorist who has been widely criticized for polarizing content, including discredited claims about the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. Many staunch Infowars critics condemned the tech giants decision, noting that censoring him could result in further actions against people who arent accepted by the mainstream media which appears to be exactly what Murphy wants.
Murphy wrote that Facebook and Apple and YouTube have gotten so big they sometimes seem like the government, but reminded his 704,000 followers that the technology giants arent publicly controlled.
They are private companies that shouldnt knowingly spread lies and hate. They took a good first step today by removing Infowars, Murphy wrote.
Murphys Twitter account was filled with negative reaction to his call for additional censorship.
Talk radio host Tony Bruno responded, Thanks for confirming your hatred of the First Amendment Chris. You do realize this is not what Democracy looks like, don't you?
In other words you won't rest until you control the entire message. You won't be happy until you dictate everything we get to hear. I didn't like Jones but you scare me far more, a user said.
Another user added, Youre advocating censorship, how progressive!
Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro explained to Murphy, Youre a governmental official and there is a thing called the First Amendment.
Murphy bills himself as a strong voice for job creation, affordable health care, education, stricter gun laws and progressive foreign policy. He has been among the Senates most liberal members and attacks President Trump on a regular basis.
Murphy recently said Trump is waging a very deliberate assault on the American health care system and called for Connecticut to create its own insurance mandate.
Murphy is seeking re-election in November.
Brian Flood covers the media for Fox News. Follow him on Twitter at @briansflood.
The rest is here:
- virtual minecraft library combats government censorship by housing banned journalism - Designboom - March 16th, 2020
- Lessons From China on the Coronavirus and the Dangers of App Consolidation - Slate - March 16th, 2020
- 'Love in time of' coronavirus: Tinder being used to circumnavigate possible Chinese censorship of outbreak - Washington Examiner - March 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus: The new and ingenious ways Chinese citizens are evading censorship to learn about the outbreak - Hong Kong Free Press - March 16th, 2020
- Censorship and Propaganda in the Time of the Coronavirus - Qrius - March 16th, 2020
- Should OTT content in India have a censor board to strap creative freedom just like films? - PINKVILLA - March 16th, 2020
- The big coronavirus cover-up: Fighting truth and coronavirus, the China way - ThePrint - March 16th, 2020
- The first real liberty of the press in Malta 1839 (Part 1) - Times of Malta - March 16th, 2020
- How Editors From Mexico, India, and the UAE Are Covering the Coronavirus - Slate - March 16th, 2020
- From the Archives: Commentator Suspends Publication After Threat of Censorship - The Commentator - March 1st, 2020
- Apple may be forced to disclose censorship requests from China - The Guardian - March 1st, 2020
- Students Demand Censorship of 'Coronavirus' Theme Party - Reason - March 1st, 2020
- Pompeo accuses China and Iran of censoring information about coronavirus outbreaks - ABC News - March 1st, 2020
- Conservatives censoring themselves in the age of censorship? InfoWars kicked out of CPAC, triggering conference row - RT - March 1st, 2020
- Why we must win the fight for free speech - Spiked - March 1st, 2020
- Critics Say China Has Suppressed And Censored Information In Coronavirus Outbreak - NPR - February 14th, 2020
- Transgender users have accused TikTok of censorship - here's why - Derry Journal - February 14th, 2020
- Rand Paul Blasts YouTube over Censorship of Speech on Senate Floor - Breitbart - February 14th, 2020
- Newspapers fear new social media rules will lead to wider censorship - The Guardian - February 14th, 2020
- Anti-BDS laws are meant to censor & control speech, journalist Abby Martin tells RT after suing Georgia govt over cancelled talk - RT - February 14th, 2020
- Be more tolerant, Anwar tells Malaysians over art censorship - Malay Mail - February 14th, 2020
- China's censors tried to control the narrative on a hero doctor's death. It backfired terribly - CNN - February 12th, 2020
- China Ramps Up Censorship On Coronavirus As Critics Risk Criminal Charges - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Heres How China Is Silencing Coronavirus Critics in the U.S. - VICE - February 12th, 2020
- Here are the 9 titles Netflix purged due to government censorship - The Next Web - February 12th, 2020
- Parler: Twitter Suspending James OKeefe Is Political Censorship and Election Interference - Breitbart - February 12th, 2020
- Censorship, lies and death: China's government under fire - TheArticle - February 12th, 2020
- A glimmer of hope: Mallika Sarabhai on the cancelled NID event, CAA protests, censorship and more - Scroll.in - February 12th, 2020
- Penny Thoughts: Editing and Censorship | - West Alabama Watchman - January 30th, 2020
- The many ways to censor cutting-edge art in Russia - The Economist - January 30th, 2020
- How does a government censor the Internet? A rare peek from Jammu and Kashmir - Security Boulevard - January 30th, 2020
- Pompeo And Trump: Censure Of The Press As A Form Of Retaliation - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Circus of censorship - The News on Sunday - January 30th, 2020
- Study: North Korea, China, and Russia top internet censorship charts - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Cries of censorship in Sudan as media outlets linked to old regime closed - Middle East Eye - January 22nd, 2020
- Aichi Triennale Exhibition Will Be Restaged in Taiwan Following Censorship Controversy - Artforum - January 22nd, 2020
- Censorship On and By Social Media Platforms - Legal Reader - January 22nd, 2020
- Internet Censorship In Africa Is A Trend In Africa - What To Expect In 2020 - WeeTracker Media - January 22nd, 2020
- The spy who fell off my family tree and nearly got away - The Jewish News of Northern California - January 22nd, 2020
- Some people in China help the party police the internet - The Economist - January 22nd, 2020
- Nepal: Information Technology Bill threatens freedom of expression - Amnesty International - January 22nd, 2020
- Web needs an element of censorship as some of it is bordering on pornography: Niki Walia - IWMBuzz - January 22nd, 2020
- Facebook and Google Balance Booming Business with Censorship Pressure in Vietnam - The Information - December 13th, 2019
- Orban targets theaters, prompting protest against censorship - The Boston Globe - December 13th, 2019
- Self-censorship is the enemy of creativity - Spiked - December 13th, 2019
- Ben Shapiro, conservatives blast YouTube policy on harassment: 'Insanely vague' - Fox News - December 13th, 2019
- Anti-war artworks removed in censorship row - The Age - December 13th, 2019
- Women Are Pretending To Be Men On Instagram To Avoid Sexist Censorship - HuffPost - November 24th, 2019
- When a comedian is pro-censorship, I start finding them funny - The Spectator USA - November 24th, 2019
- Cancelation of 'The Foreigner' at WC leads to claims of censorship - The Star Democrat - November 24th, 2019
- Democrats are not "censoring" Donald Trump his increasingly desperate staff is doing that - Salon - November 24th, 2019
- The right to know: How does censorship affect academics? - Big Think - November 19th, 2019
- Even with the best intentions, censoring books is dangerous - The Aggie - November 19th, 2019
- Will the U.S. Follow East Germany on Self-Censorship? - National Review - November 19th, 2019
- Tougher Than Leather: The Tom of Finland Foundation's Fight Against Censorship Continues Into the Social Media Age - L.A. Weekly - November 19th, 2019
- Sara Lee Responds to SNL's Sexually Charged Sketch, Reverses Instagram Censorship: 'We Are Taking It in Stride' - Yahoo Entertainment - November 19th, 2019
- MENstruation: A full analysis of censorship on television networks - The Gateway - November 19th, 2019
- Inside the "Reckless" World of In-Flight Movie Censoring - InsideHook - November 19th, 2019
- Disney Plus Censors Gravity Falls, The Simpsons - Pirates and Princesses - November 19th, 2019
- Russian internet censorship could come the U.S. - Inverse - November 13th, 2019
- Campus censorship: a tyranny of the minority - Spiked - November 13th, 2019
- TOTO: Disney, Netflix Wave White Flag On International Censorship - The Daily Wire - November 13th, 2019
- Delhi HC's order for social media censorship is an end to the internet as we know it - The News Minute - November 13th, 2019
- Censorship and online threats against the press spell trouble for the future of Pakistani journalism - Global Voices - October 1st, 2019
- No trivial censorship at Hayner: Librarians bust out the banned books - Alton Telegraph - October 1st, 2019
- China: Sinisation of the Catholic Church, Censorship, and Repression - FSSPX.News - October 1st, 2019
- Censorship and Contemporary Banned Books - Pinnacle - October 1st, 2019
- YouTube reverses the not-so-subtle censorship of Steven Crowder and others - Reclaim The Net - October 1st, 2019
- Joe Biden wants to censor Rudy Giuliani - Whats on Politics - Politics - October 1st, 2019
- Censorship leaves us in the dark: Keep the light on! - Del Rio News Herald - October 1st, 2019
- Censorship - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2019
- On Censorship - The Catholic Thing - April 26th, 2019
- How Media Censorship Affects the News You See - April 26th, 2019
- Censorship - Definition, Examples, Cases - Legal Dictionary - April 26th, 2019
- Censorship | Encyclopedia.com - April 26th, 2019
- China Is Trying to Scrub Bikinis and Smoking From the Internet - April 11th, 2019
- What Is Censorship? | American Civil Liberties Union - March 6th, 2019
- American Censorship - The Government's Act of Altering Media - January 12th, 2019
- Censorship | Define Censorship at Dictionary.com - January 3rd, 2019
- Censorship Synonyms, Censorship Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - September 12th, 2018