Bitcoin proponents often talk about the many benefits the decentralized currency can offer the world, and one of these attributes is bitcoins censorship resistance. This week news.Bitcoin.com chatted with, Firas Zahabi, a well known Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) grappling trainer from Canada who decided to use bitcoin as an incentive to promote online grappling events.
Also read: Markets Update: Bitcoin Cash Rallies for Three Solid Days
Firas Zahabi has trained many champion MMA fighters and is the founder of Tristar Gym, a grappling martial arts training center located in Quebec, Canada. The gym is well known as one of the worlds top MMA training camps, and grappling fights are very popular in the region. However, Zahabi tells us over a phone conversation that the local governments in Canada have deemed holding MMA events illegal. Grappling martial arts itself is legal in the region, but MMA events are not allowed, which gives young Canadian fighters less of an opportunity to compete and show their skills. So Zahabi decided to create online MMA events on Youtube which he calls the Pure Victory Championship and fighters compete for bitcoin prizes. Zahabi believes the act of hosting events online decentralizes the playing field and bitcoin leaves the middle man out of the equation.
Bitcoin.com (BC): Can you tell our readers about the Pure Victory Championship?
Firas Zahabi (FZ): Recently they made grappling events illegal where Im from here in Quebec, and then they made events illegal in Ontario. Quebec is a hotbed for grappling talent, and the biggest MMA event in the world called the Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) is happening soon, and two of my students are attending this year. So grappling in Quebec is really popular, but the local governments made it illegal because there was bickering back and forth between event promoters that were calling the cops on each other. They were trying to cancel each others events and corner the market.
Law enforcement got tired of all these calls, and now we are not allowed to have grappling events. Grappling is perfectly legal still, but holding grappling events here is illegal. Alongside this, Canada recently declared bitcoin as a commodity, and to the government, its not money, not a currency. So Im not allowed to hold events and give out prize money, but we are allowed to film and upload ourselves fighting online. And now the fighters get bitcoin, and its kinda like them getting a free t-shirt or swag, because I am giving them a commodity as a prize for participation. We thought it was an excellent idea and the viewers can tip the fighters as well and our grapplers have been making money during an event. The grapplers are also enthusiastic about competing again in the future and the audience absolutely loves it.
Its been all positive feedback and people are following the events. We only have four episodes so far and the fifth episode should launch next week. Its really creating a great buzz with just four episodes.
BC: How much bitcoin have the fighters been getting?
FZ: Theyve been getting roughly $100-300 dollars in bitcoin between winnings and tips. Dont forget that theyre getting bitcoin and that could be worth a lot in the future. This is only after one match, and when you grapple you have to pay to compete, so it helps the fighters earn. Further, these episodes could still give fighters some earnings, and after twenty videos it will create a fishnet effect. I think the fighters havent finished collecting and once they get more and more popular they create a bigger following, and the prizes will get bigger.
BC: What gave you the idea to include bitcoin into these events?
FZ: The politics and the government. They need to let young fighters have a place to release their energy. If these kids cant find anything to do they will likely find some trouble and grappling is such an amazing outlet for the youth. Not only are they getting fit but they are exercising their minds, and they are building a whole community. We are a thriving community, and they just came and shut us down. Could you imagine if they made baseball events illegal? I dont understand it, these kids need an outlet rather than being in the pool halls and the streets. Martial arts is one of the most constructive things a human being can do, especially in their youth.
So I said lets decentralize jiu-jitsu. If we cant have grappling events how can we monetize our skills? The middleman is just such a problem, hes always sticking his hands in our pocket and always bullying us. So lets decentralize our jiu-jitsu, lets make it so the audience can see the competitors compete, pay them in cryptocurrency and remove the middleman.
So my next phase for Pure Victory Championship will be global and what Im going to do is let fighters film their match, and if your game is good enough I will air it, and the winner will get $300 in cryptocurrency. Which is a lot for fighters just starting off, and the internet is hard to stop.
BC: Did the government give a formal explanation to why they made grappling events illegal?
FZ: No they told us if you have any more grappling events they will come and shut us down, and they have already. One major grappling event was canceled with hundreds of competitors. So what Im hoping to do is put the power back into the competitors hands.
BC: Have the fighters mentioned anything about receiving cryptocurrency as a prize?
FZ: They love it, every fighter loves it. Look at the price of bitcoin right now. The guy who recently got $100 worth of BTC is pumped as its worth about $300-400 right now.
The world loves MMA and its a very popular sport and grappling enthusiasts are going to hear an awful lot about cryptocurrency this year.
What do you think about FirasZahabis Pure Victory Championships? Let us know in the comments below.
Images via Pixabay, Bitcoin.com,FirasZahabis, and Pure Victory Championship
Need to calculate your bitcoin holdings? Check our tools section.
Go here to see the original:
- Critics Say China Has Suppressed And Censored Information In Coronavirus Outbreak - NPR - February 14th, 2020
- Transgender users have accused TikTok of censorship - here's why - Derry Journal - February 14th, 2020
- Rand Paul Blasts YouTube over Censorship of Speech on Senate Floor - Breitbart - February 14th, 2020
- Newspapers fear new social media rules will lead to wider censorship - The Guardian - February 14th, 2020
- Anti-BDS laws are meant to censor & control speech, journalist Abby Martin tells RT after suing Georgia govt over cancelled talk - RT - February 14th, 2020
- Be more tolerant, Anwar tells Malaysians over art censorship - Malay Mail - February 14th, 2020
- China's censors tried to control the narrative on a hero doctor's death. It backfired terribly - CNN - February 12th, 2020
- China Ramps Up Censorship On Coronavirus As Critics Risk Criminal Charges - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Heres How China Is Silencing Coronavirus Critics in the U.S. - VICE - February 12th, 2020
- Here are the 9 titles Netflix purged due to government censorship - The Next Web - February 12th, 2020
- Parler: Twitter Suspending James OKeefe Is Political Censorship and Election Interference - Breitbart - February 12th, 2020
- Censorship, lies and death: China's government under fire - TheArticle - February 12th, 2020
- A glimmer of hope: Mallika Sarabhai on the cancelled NID event, CAA protests, censorship and more - Scroll.in - February 12th, 2020
- Penny Thoughts: Editing and Censorship | - West Alabama Watchman - January 30th, 2020
- The many ways to censor cutting-edge art in Russia - The Economist - January 30th, 2020
- How does a government censor the Internet? A rare peek from Jammu and Kashmir - Security Boulevard - January 30th, 2020
- Pompeo And Trump: Censure Of The Press As A Form Of Retaliation - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Circus of censorship - The News on Sunday - January 30th, 2020
- Study: North Korea, China, and Russia top internet censorship charts - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Cries of censorship in Sudan as media outlets linked to old regime closed - Middle East Eye - January 22nd, 2020
- Aichi Triennale Exhibition Will Be Restaged in Taiwan Following Censorship Controversy - Artforum - January 22nd, 2020
- Censorship On and By Social Media Platforms - Legal Reader - January 22nd, 2020
- Internet Censorship In Africa Is A Trend In Africa - What To Expect In 2020 - WeeTracker Media - January 22nd, 2020
- The spy who fell off my family tree and nearly got away - The Jewish News of Northern California - January 22nd, 2020
- Some people in China help the party police the internet - The Economist - January 22nd, 2020
- Nepal: Information Technology Bill threatens freedom of expression - Amnesty International - January 22nd, 2020
- Web needs an element of censorship as some of it is bordering on pornography: Niki Walia - IWMBuzz - January 22nd, 2020
- Facebook and Google Balance Booming Business with Censorship Pressure in Vietnam - The Information - December 13th, 2019
- Orban targets theaters, prompting protest against censorship - The Boston Globe - December 13th, 2019
- Self-censorship is the enemy of creativity - Spiked - December 13th, 2019
- Ben Shapiro, conservatives blast YouTube policy on harassment: 'Insanely vague' - Fox News - December 13th, 2019
- Anti-war artworks removed in censorship row - The Age - December 13th, 2019
- Women Are Pretending To Be Men On Instagram To Avoid Sexist Censorship - HuffPost - November 24th, 2019
- When a comedian is pro-censorship, I start finding them funny - The Spectator USA - November 24th, 2019
- Cancelation of 'The Foreigner' at WC leads to claims of censorship - The Star Democrat - November 24th, 2019
- Democrats are not "censoring" Donald Trump his increasingly desperate staff is doing that - Salon - November 24th, 2019
- The right to know: How does censorship affect academics? - Big Think - November 19th, 2019
- Even with the best intentions, censoring books is dangerous - The Aggie - November 19th, 2019
- Will the U.S. Follow East Germany on Self-Censorship? - National Review - November 19th, 2019
- Tougher Than Leather: The Tom of Finland Foundation's Fight Against Censorship Continues Into the Social Media Age - L.A. Weekly - November 19th, 2019
- Sara Lee Responds to SNL's Sexually Charged Sketch, Reverses Instagram Censorship: 'We Are Taking It in Stride' - Yahoo Entertainment - November 19th, 2019
- MENstruation: A full analysis of censorship on television networks - The Gateway - November 19th, 2019
- Inside the "Reckless" World of In-Flight Movie Censoring - InsideHook - November 19th, 2019
- Disney Plus Censors Gravity Falls, The Simpsons - Pirates and Princesses - November 19th, 2019
- Russian internet censorship could come the U.S. - Inverse - November 13th, 2019
- Campus censorship: a tyranny of the minority - Spiked - November 13th, 2019
- TOTO: Disney, Netflix Wave White Flag On International Censorship - The Daily Wire - November 13th, 2019
- Delhi HC's order for social media censorship is an end to the internet as we know it - The News Minute - November 13th, 2019
- Censorship and online threats against the press spell trouble for the future of Pakistani journalism - Global Voices - October 1st, 2019
- No trivial censorship at Hayner: Librarians bust out the banned books - Alton Telegraph - October 1st, 2019
- China: Sinisation of the Catholic Church, Censorship, and Repression - FSSPX.News - October 1st, 2019
- Censorship and Contemporary Banned Books - Pinnacle - October 1st, 2019
- YouTube reverses the not-so-subtle censorship of Steven Crowder and others - Reclaim The Net - October 1st, 2019
- Joe Biden wants to censor Rudy Giuliani - Whats on Politics - Politics - October 1st, 2019
- Censorship leaves us in the dark: Keep the light on! - Del Rio News Herald - October 1st, 2019
- Censorship - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2019
- On Censorship - The Catholic Thing - April 26th, 2019
- How Media Censorship Affects the News You See - April 26th, 2019
- Censorship - Definition, Examples, Cases - Legal Dictionary - April 26th, 2019
- Censorship | Encyclopedia.com - April 26th, 2019
- China Is Trying to Scrub Bikinis and Smoking From the Internet - April 11th, 2019
- What Is Censorship? | American Civil Liberties Union - March 6th, 2019
- American Censorship - The Government's Act of Altering Media - January 12th, 2019
- Censorship | Define Censorship at Dictionary.com - January 3rd, 2019
- Censorship Synonyms, Censorship Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - September 12th, 2018
- Godless Comedy YouTube Censorship - Godless Comedy - August 20th, 2018
- Sen. Chris Murphy calls for more Silicon Valley censorship ... - August 13th, 2018
- Censorship of Facebook - Wikipedia - August 2nd, 2018
- Project Censored - The News that Didn't Make the News and Why - June 22nd, 2018
- Project Censored The News that Didn't Make the News and Why - March 17th, 2018
- Banned Books That Shaped America | Banned Books Week - March 17th, 2018
- FACT - Freedom Against Censorship Thailand ... - February 24th, 2018
- GELLER: Social Media Censorship Panel at CPAC James Damore ... - February 23rd, 2018
- Censorship in Turkey - Wikipedia - February 6th, 2018
- Censorship by country - Wikipedia - February 1st, 2018
- Ethereum Applications: How to Spend Your Ether? - December 27th, 2017
- How to Buy and Sell Monero - December 27th, 2017
- How to Buy and Sell Monero - December 24th, 2017
- Ethereum Applications: How to Spend Your Ether? - December 24th, 2017
- How to Store Ethereum: Review of Best ETH Wallets 2017-2018 - December 18th, 2017