Thousands of lives could have been saved if China allowed its media freedom to operate independently, the Reporters Without Borders (RSF) organization has claimed.
RSF published a statement Tuesday detailing how Chinese authorities suppressed whistle blowers and early warnings of the COVID-19 virus outbreak, which has since spread across the globe and killed more than 19,000 people.
"Without the control and censorship imposed by the authorities, the Chinese media would have informed the public much earlier of the severity of the coronavirus epidemic, sparing thousands of lives and perhaps avoiding the current pandemic," the RSF statement argued.
The pandemic originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December, likely at a so-called "wet market" where live and dead animals are sold.
The Chinese Communist Party was accusedby President Donald Trump, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and othersof silencing whistleblowers and hiding the severity of the outbreak, which soon spread beyond its borders.
Tight restrictions appear to have stemmed the spread of COVID-19 in China, and officials have said that the peak of the outbreak has passed. There have now been more cases and deaths outside China than inside.
But RSF cited a University of Southampton analysis published earlier this month that argued the number of coronavirus cases in Chinawhich is rated 177th out of 180 in the 2019 RSF World Press Freedom Indexcould have been reduced by 86 percent if the restrictive measures implemented on January 20 had been put in place two weeks earlier.
RSF argued that the first red flag was missed in October, when the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security ran a simulated coronavirus pandemic alongside the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
The simulation produced 65 million deaths in 18 months, a result RSF argued would have sparked interest and concern in China if media organizations were able to cover it or citizens were able to see it online.
Local Wuhan officials failed to inform the media of the outbreak, even when there were dozens of patients suffering the same mysterious illness and symptomsseveral of whom had visited the Huanan fish market where the virus is believed to have originated. The market was closed on January 1.
Dr. Lu Xiaohong was among the first medical workers to suspect that something seismic was occurring, having been told of multiple infections among staff at Wuhan City Hospital as early as December 25.
RSF argued that if journalists' sources did not face such strict punishments for speaking out, Lu may have raised the alarm and forced officials to acknowledge the problem.
A group of whistleblowers tried to do exactly that, but were arrested for circulating "false rumors" on January 3. Eight of these whistleblowers have since died of coronavirus.
Though China officially alerted the World Health Organization to the situation on December 31, officials moved to censor a number of related keywords on the country's tightly-controlled billion-user WeChat platform.
By January 5, a team at the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Centre had sequenced the virus, but the vital information was not released publicly. Only on January 11the day the first coronavirus death was confirmeddid researchers leak the genome to open source platforms, handing the international community a priceless element in their nascent hunt for a vaccine.
The first case outside China was confirmed on January 13. RSF argued that the international community "would have taken stock of the crisis and better anticipated it" if Chinese media had been able to cover the issue since December. This may have slowed its spread and avoided "its transformation into a pandemic," the organization argued.
Newsweek has contacted the Chinese embassy in Washington, D.C. for a response to RSF's assertions.
- A Radioactive Plague: The secrecy and censorship surrounding civilian deaths from World War II - Milwaukee Independent - August 10th, 2020
- Censorship on the internet in 2020: The potential effects of TikTok - Film Daily - August 10th, 2020
- Wicker: Time to address online censorship - The Vicksburg Post - Vicksburg Post - August 10th, 2020
- Open Technology Fund Authorization Act - BORGEN - Borgen Project - August 10th, 2020
- The Logic of a US WeChat Ban - The Diplomat - August 10th, 2020
- Ben Domenech Clashes With Joe Trippi Over Censorship Of Trump's Social Media - The Federalist - August 10th, 2020
- German Analysis Institute Regrets Censorship of a Professional Science Assertion - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Upgrading Its Great Firewall And Can Now Censor Even More Content - News18 - August 10th, 2020
- Twitter censors all links to BitChute - Reclaim The Net - August 10th, 2020
- Fear of Authoritarian Regimes Is Pushing the Film Industry to Self-Censor - Foreign Affairs Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Facebook is wrong to censor Donald Trump - The Spectator USA - August 10th, 2020
- Education, not censorship, must be used to tackle online antisemitism - The Jerusalem Post - August 10th, 2020
- Why Did Facebook Censor This Video Of President Trump? - The Hayride - August 10th, 2020
- Lawyer concerned that 'internet censorship bill' may be used as a political tool - CapeTalk - August 10th, 2020
- Brother Nut, the Artist, Taking Vow of Silence to Protest Chinas Censorship - VOA Asia - August 8th, 2020
- Researchers slowly discover censorship doesnt work - Reclaim The Net - August 8th, 2020
- Setlist: Wiley, Twitter and the online censorship debate - Complete Music Update - August 8th, 2020
- The line between legislating in opposition to disinformation and censorship could be very skinny - Pledge Times - August 8th, 2020
- Hollywood Is "Increasingly Normalizing" Self-Censorship for China, Report Finds - Hollywood Reporter - August 7th, 2020
- Rep. Buck wants Twitter's Jack Dorsey to testify about 'censorship of conservatives' and 'cozy' relationshi... - Fox News - August 7th, 2020
- Lee says Google, Facebook and Twitter are censoring conservative voices - Deseret News - August 7th, 2020
- The White Houses plan to purge Chinese tech from the internet is just bluster for now - The Verge - August 7th, 2020
- Is the Gov't Outsourcing Censorship Duties to FB & Google? - The Jewish Voice - August 7th, 2020
- Doctors' cries of censorship become part of their message - Poynter - August 6th, 2020
- Turkey takes Germany's hate speech law, and makes it much worse with its own censorship and data localization rules - Privacy News Online - August 6th, 2020
- Op-ed: Censorship and higher taxes won't create more Apples, Amazons, Facebooks and Googles - CNBC - August 6th, 2020
- Pence Says Administration Will 'Lean Into' Issue of Tech Censorship - Newsmax - August 6th, 2020
- GreatFire introduces app maker to bypass Chinas censorship - Reclaim The Net - August 6th, 2020
- Facebook removes pro-Trump ad aimed at Joe Biden, claiming false information - Fox News - August 6th, 2020
- #SavetheChildren Ban? Facebook Censors 'Save the Children' - Heavy.com - August 6th, 2020
- Censorship or fighting disinformation? Russia to use AI to create controversial fake news filter, as Facebook efforts stall - RT - August 6th, 2020
- The Italian journalist sets fire to Instagram bordering on censorship with her first bath - Explica - August 6th, 2020
- Facebook censors hydroxychloroquine praise, even in countries where its an official treatment - Reclaim The Net - August 6th, 2020
- Theft, censorship and the emperors of the online economy: Tech CEOs go on defense - POLITICO - August 4th, 2020
- How the New York Times profits from self-censorship - The Spectator USA - August 4th, 2020
- Some Facebook mods support the ads boycott, call for more censorship - Reclaim The Net - August 4th, 2020
- South Park: Why Episodes "200" and "201" Were Banned - Screen Rant - August 4th, 2020
- Free speech risk as university staff feel need to censor pro-Brexit views - The Scotsman - August 4th, 2020
- Greg Gutfeld on conservative censorship: 'Abuse only goes one way' - Fox News - August 3rd, 2020
- Censorship and the pandemic - Echonetdaily - August 1st, 2020
- Theft, censorship and the 'emperors of the online economy': Tech CEOs go on defense - POLITICO - July 29th, 2020
- Turkey: Social media law's passage raises censorship worries - STLtoday.com - July 29th, 2020
- What Is Censorship? | American Civil Liberties Union - July 28th, 2020
- HBO Max and Their Strange Streak of Censorship - Kirkwood Community College - July 28th, 2020
- China Censors League of Legends Champs Because of Seductive Visual Graphics; Here are the Edited Skins - Tech Times - July 28th, 2020
- Social media censorship is hindering investigations, researchers say - Reclaim The Net - July 28th, 2020
- Hollywood 'kowtowing' to China takes heat. But why now? - Los Angeles Times - July 28th, 2020
- Why Twitter, Facebook and YouTube are taking down that hydroxychloroquine video and suspending accounts, including Donald Trump Jr., that shared it -... - July 28th, 2020
- Rep. Matt Gaetz Says Zuckerberg Lied Under Oath About Facebook Conservative Censorship, calls on DOJ to Open Criminal Investigation - The Jewish Voice - July 28th, 2020
- Don't we believe in the 'marketplace of ideas' any longer? | TheHill - The Hill - July 28th, 2020
- Paper Mario: The Origami King Censors The Words Human Rights And Freedom... - Happy Gamer - July 28th, 2020
- Zombies, censorship, & killer giraffes: Heavy Metal reflects on making it to issue #300 - SYFY WIRE - July 28th, 2020
- New Bill Would Punish Tech Companies That Use Behavioral Ads To Collect Your Information - The Federalist - July 28th, 2020
- What alternative social media sites are there? - Fox Business - July 28th, 2020
- Everywhere and nowhere: The many layers of 'cancel culture' - Associated Press - July 28th, 2020
- Lebanese PM urges caution amid heightened border tensions with Israel - Arab News - July 28th, 2020
- I will continue until I have no other choice: The art of bookselling under Hong Kongs national security law - Hong Kong Free Press - July 28th, 2020
- Interview: Rep. Jody Hice on Defund the Police and Big Tech Censorship - Merion West - July 28th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Waltham resident calls for end to censorship - Wicked Local Waltham - July 28th, 2020
- Netflix Scraps Turkish Original 'If Only' Over Censorship of Gay Character - TheWrap - July 28th, 2020
- Everywhere And Nowhere: The Many Layers of 'Cancel Culture' - Voice of America - July 28th, 2020
- If censorship were to return, could todays writers learn from their Victorian counterparts? - Scroll.in - July 27th, 2020
- Censorship standoff sparks concerns of Netflixs withdrawal from Turkey - Ahval - July 27th, 2020
- WATCH: Jesse Watters Interviews Eric Trump About Twitter Censorship, Praises QAnon: They Uncovered A Lot of Great Stuff - Mediaite - July 27th, 2020
- Ellen Pao calls for more Facebook censorship, says its the right thing to do - Reclaim The Net - July 27th, 2020
- Is Giving to Biden or Trump Grounds for Getting Fired? New Poll Finds a Disturbing Number of People Who Think It Should Be - Reason - July 26th, 2020
- "Ife," a film about two woman in love faces an uphill battle in a country where homophobia runs rampant - MSN Money - July 26th, 2020
- A Nollywood film about two women in love faces an uphill battle in a country where homophobia is rampant - The Philadelphia Tribune - July 26th, 2020
- Why George Orwell's Quote on 'Self-Censorship' Is More Relevant Than Ever | Brad Polumbo - Foundation for Economic Education - July 24th, 2020
- Who The Democratic And Republican Party Censors Are, For The 'News' You See & Hear - Scoop.co.nz - July 24th, 2020
- Will Trump ban TikTok in the USA? - Vox.com - July 24th, 2020
- We need to take back control of the internet - Spiked - July 24th, 2020
- Netflix Cancels Production of Turkish Original If Only Over Censorship of Gay Character - Variety - July 21st, 2020
- Bari Weiss Resigns From The New York Times, Alleging That 'Self-Censorship Has Become the Norm' - Reason - July 21st, 2020
- Artist holds his tongue in protest of pandemic censorship in China - New York Post - July 21st, 2020
- Censorship in a time of coronavirus - Ynetnews - July 21st, 2020
- Is Metacritics New Review Decision Leaning Towards Censorship? - Fortress of Solitude - July 21st, 2020
- Spare us the Twitter zealots and their pious left censorship - Sydney Morning Herald - July 21st, 2020
- Netflix and Turkish govt talks break down over local series with gay theme - report - Ahval - July 20th, 2020
- Glenn Greenwald was cancelled from the Harper's Letter warning about "cancel culture" - Boing Boing - July 20th, 2020