PUBLISHED: 10:37 28 April 2020 | UPDATED: 10:45 28 April 2020
Anti-Brexit demonstrators wave European Union and Union flags outside the Houses of Parliament in London. Credit: Yui Mok/PA
PA Wire/PA Images
A group of campaigners have filed a court case with the General Court of the European Union that argues EU citizenship is permanent status regardless of Brexit.
Email this article to a friend
To send a link to this page you must be logged in.
Become a Supporter
Almost four years after its creation The New European goes from strength to strength across print and online, offering a pro-European perspective on Brexit and reporting on the political response to the coronavirus outbreak, climate change and international politics. But we can only continue to grow with your support.
The pro-EU activists believe legally all 66 million continue to hold the status, even when the transition period ends, allowing them to freely move and work in all 27 countries of the bloc.
As The New European reported last month, the legal case acknowledges that not all rights will applicable to UK residents - such as the right to vote or stand in European elections - but believe freedom of movement rights can still be preserved.
The campaigners argue that such status cannot be removed without their consent.
If successful it would allow UK citizens to remain EU citizens.
Dr Alexandra von Westernhagen, one of the lawyers behind the case, explained to The London Economic: Our case is formally an action partially to annul the decision of the EU Council of Ministers of 30 January 2020 which approved the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement, insofar as it deprives the applicants, without their consent and without due process, of their status as EU citizens and their rights resulting from that status.
MORE: Support your pro-European newspaper with a 13 digital or print subscription
MORE: Or make a donation to help grow our journalism
The case asks what is the nature of the EU itself: is it a Union for its member states only? Or is it also a Union for and between the people of Europe? This is a fundamental question for all 515 million EU citizens and everybody else who believes in the idea of an international, value-based citizenship.
The European Commission denied to comment further, but said: We take note of the intention to begin legal proceedings.
Remain campaigners had hoped associate EU citizenship would allow those that did not support Brexit to retain links with the EU after the end of the transition period at the end of the year.
Almost four years after its creation The New European goes from strength to strength across print and online, offering a pro-European perspective on Brexit and reporting on the political response to the coronavirus outbreak, climate change and international politics. But we can only rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press with your support. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.
- Brexit victory: Richard Tice reveals the 'huge opportunity' ahead for fishing and farming - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- Brexit: Why hopes are rising that EU and UK could find compromise - Financial Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Boris to take on EU's Galileo with BETTER system US could join 'we have an opportunity' - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- France does not rule out a post Brexit no deal with UK, but those who need it most are the British - MercoPress - June 22nd, 2020
- Boris Johnson news live: PM given fresh no-deal Brexit warnings, as No 10 puts full confidence in under-pressure minister - The Independent - June 22nd, 2020
- Brexit revives unionist and nationalist divide in Northern Ireland - The Guardian - June 22nd, 2020
- Unpopular fund sector trumps UK funds four years on from Brexit vote - Money Observer - June 22nd, 2020
- Post-Brexit and what it means for your intellectual property rights - Intellectual Property - UK - Mondaq News Alerts - June 22nd, 2020
- Covid and Brexit the challenges that face new FCA boss Nikhil Rathi - Belfast Telegraph - June 22nd, 2020
- Northern Irish firms to be reimbursed for tariffs if Brexit talks fail - Tina Massey - June 22nd, 2020
- Brexit risk to waste and resources increasing, says Greener UK - Resource Magazine - June 22nd, 2020
- Unions Warn Trump and Brexit May Smash the Scottish Whisky Industry - Gizmodo UK - June 22nd, 2020
- Johnson & Brexit Patronising Etonian Alienates the World Byline Times - Byline Times - June 22nd, 2020
- With Brexit Trade Talks at an Impasse, Boris Johnson Finally Engages - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- Brexit victory: Macron WILL cave to UK fishing stance by autumn - but there is a catch - Express - June 21st, 2020
- Its official: U.K. wont require an extension of Brexit talks, even as negotiations with EU hit gridlock - MarketWatch - June 21st, 2020
- After Brexit: Will the U.S.-UK Deal Get Tariffs Down to Zero? - Yahoo News - June 21st, 2020
- Brexit and coronavirus are stoking the fires of Welsh nationalism - The New European - June 21st, 2020
- Covid-19 and Brexit: Contrasting sectoral impacts on the UK | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - June 21st, 2020
- EU FURY: Macron unleashes new Brexit threat in bid to force through 750billion bailout - Express.co.uk - June 21st, 2020
- Brexit news: What would ending the transition period with no deal really mean? - Express.co.uk - June 21st, 2020
- Letter: Brexit extension would be a leap in the dark - East London and West Essex Guardian Series - June 21st, 2020
- Macron to discuss Brexit with Johnson on London visit - RTE.ie - June 21st, 2020
- Brexit Britain is forced to confront its inglorious past - The Star Online - June 21st, 2020
- EU 'terrified' of successful UK 'on its doorstep' says Widdecombe in brutal Brexit warning - Express.co.uk - June 21st, 2020
- Britain, EU need Brexit agreement in the autumn - Merkel - Reuters UK - June 21st, 2020
- Westminster's actions mean devolved governments have had 'no meaningful input' in Brexit trade talks - Press and Journal - June 21st, 2020
- TCW's Brexit Watch: Will Johnson cave in a second time? - The Conservative Woman - June 21st, 2020
- Britain wants to reinvent UK-China relations in the Brexit age - Quartz - June 9th, 2020
- Brexit has reopened a divide within the Tories that cannot be bridged - Telegraph.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- Brexit deal now unlikely without extension, and time is running out - Verdict - June 9th, 2020
- The pandemic is being used as cover for a no-deal Brexit - The Guardian - June 9th, 2020
- Brexit Britain has a much better alternative than the EU: Canzuk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- Brexiteer called out for claiming Brexit Party was 'most diverse' in European Parliament - The New European - June 9th, 2020
- Nissan comes out of lockdown and braces for Brexit - The Guardian - June 9th, 2020
- EU crisis: Brexit risks bloc's 'economic threat' crumbling - 'We should leave too!' - Express.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- The car industry now: will Brexit's impact now be even greater? - Autocar - June 9th, 2020
- Brexit: NI Assembly votes to extend transition period - BBC News - June 9th, 2020
- Brexit shock: How tensions between USA and China may affect UK's trade options - Express - June 9th, 2020
- Boris Johnson wants to 'fix' Brexit deal he once claimed was 'oven-ready' - The New European - June 9th, 2020
- Claim that extending the Brexit transition period could cost 380 billion is not credible - Full Fact - June 9th, 2020
- The Brexit Crisis Led to Totally Incompetent Leadership at a Time of Unprecedented Calamity. Now We are Paying for It - CounterPunch - June 9th, 2020
- North-east skipper Jimmy Buchan warns no-deal Brexit 'will hurt' Scottish fishing industry - Press and Journal - June 9th, 2020
- Brexit Party took almost 2 million in donations in first quarter of 2020 - The New European - June 9th, 2020
- Ireland as a seat for International Arbitration Bost-Brexit - Lexology - June 9th, 2020
- Boris Johnson told to 'stop playing political games' with millions of citizens - The Parliament Magazine - June 9th, 2020
- Nissan chief says firm is monitoring Brexit negotiations and warns on tariffs - Chronicle Live - June 9th, 2020
- Northern Ireland facing 'challenge of a generation' as it confronts Brexit and Covid-19, says accountants society's new boss - Belfast Telegraph - June 9th, 2020
- Brexit Blog: Crucial Times Ahead - Will the Gap Narrow Between the Sides as Negotiations Continue - Government, Public Sector - Ireland - Mondaq News... - May 15th, 2020
- Theresa May humiliation: Ex-PM's grovelling plea to union bosses amid Brexit vote exposed - Express - May 15th, 2020
- Brexit: don't extend the transition period - TheArticle - May 15th, 2020
- It's crazy for UK to go ahead with Brexit given pandemic crisis - Yorkshire Post - May 15th, 2020
- Paul Routledge: Tories want us to forget Brexit and crash out - Mirror Online - May 15th, 2020
- It's 10 years since the Lib Dem-Tory austerity coalition birthed Brexit and our brutal tribalism - Nation.Cymru - May 15th, 2020
- WATCH: Gina Miller meets online troll who sent hateful, racist and threatening messages over Brexit - The New European - May 15th, 2020
- Row over EU office in Belfast threatens to derail Brexit talks - The Guardian - May 2nd, 2020
- Brexit trade deal WILL be struck this year say UK negotiators - but only after EU tantrum - Express - May 2nd, 2020
- British lawyer sues EU over her removal from its court due to Brexit - The Guardian - May 2nd, 2020
- Coronavirus: We are all paying the price for the Tory government's preoccupation with Brexit | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 2nd, 2020
- Tory MP David Davis urges government capitalise on coronavirus outbreak to seal a Brexit deal | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 2nd, 2020
- UK will need to extend Brexit transition, Merkel ally warns Britain - The Guardian - May 2nd, 2020
- Boris gives green light for Brexit Britain to start formal US trade talks NEXT WEEK - Express - May 2nd, 2020
- UK seeks access to EU health cooperation in light of coronavirus - The Guardian - May 2nd, 2020
- SNP warn of 'chilling prospect' of no-deal Brexit as UK Gov won't extend talks - The Scotsman - May 2nd, 2020
- Boris Johnson must extend Brexit talks for another YEAR, major Tory Party donor demands - Express - May 2nd, 2020
- DAVID EDGERTON: Where Brexit and Covid-19 collide | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 2nd, 2020
- EU free trade deal with Mexico (started at same time as Brexit) is AGREED - Express.co.uk - May 2nd, 2020
- Brexit does not belong to one party, and Labour must play its part - LabourList - May 2nd, 2020
- Post-Brexit carte system 'will be easy', France says - The Connexion - May 2nd, 2020
- Priti Patel allies to 'demand apology' over bullying allegations | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 2nd, 2020
- Who is on the BBC's Question Time tonight? | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 2nd, 2020
- Theres something common in reactions to Ranbir Kapoors jeans, Brexit and Khan Market gang - ThePrint - May 2nd, 2020
- Boris Johnson's perversity on the Brexit cliff edge reminds me of the Free State's rejection of all things British - Slugger O'Toole - May 2nd, 2020
- Extending the Brexit transition period - Third Force News - May 2nd, 2020
- How Kronborg Castle helped to inspire Shakespeare | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 2nd, 2020
- Brexit: EU Trade Talks Could Collapse in June over Fishing, Regulations - Breitbart - May 2nd, 2020
- Government should stop grandstanding over Brexit | London Business News - London Loves Business - May 2nd, 2020