In the first half of 2020, COVID-19 and the Black Lives Matter movement impacted Black-owned businesses across North Carolina. But months have passed and it's autumn, now. How are those same businesses faring after everything that's happened this year?
Shamika and Roberto Brooks own Hip Hop Smoothies in Charlotte. The shop has a menu with hip-hop-inspired flavor names like "Turn Down for What" and "Fight the Power."
They operate both a store and a red food truck that goes to various places around the Queen City.
With the truck, we are set up in a different location [that] is never the same spot," Shamika Brooks said. "And with COVID, week-to-week, we could be at a different location.
COVID-19 has affected bars, restaurants and businesses like Hip Hop Smoothies. By working out of their food truck, Brooks was able to social distance and still serve smoothies to her customers.
Then in June, protests over police brutality and systemic racism brought attention to Black-owned businesses like hers.
Once Black Lives Matter kicked into gear, people were really intentionally looking for places to spend their hard-earned money, Brooks said. And we've seen a great impact from our supporters ... because they have really come out and supported us.
To find Black-owned businesses, some turned to food blogs, like Cory Wilkins The Daily Special Charlotte.
His Instagram, which includes Black-owned Charlotte eateries, fills feeds with images of tasty food and information. Wilkins said that even before this year, his page served as a first stop for those wanting to support Black businesses in Charlotte.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Cory | Charlotte Food | (@dailyspecialclt) on
Jun 9, 2020 at 9:34am PDT
That was one of the reasons that people kind of gravitated towards my Instagram page, I believe, even before all of this was because I was featuring a lot of these faces, Wilkins said.
The increased attention to Black-owned businesses wasnt just directed at restaurants. Shelves Bookstore owner Abbigail Glen was struggling during the shutdown. Her business is a mobile pop-up bookstore.
I jumped into COVID. I was making sales by way of that order form, and then I had a slowdown and I thought I was going to have to back out to work full time to fund my business, Glen said.
And then the protests started.
On June 1 was the beginning of like a wave of book orders," Glen said. "Everybody started buying books. It just has been non-stop ever since.
In addition to her online bookstore, Glen is active on social media, where she continues to host live discussions and events.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Shelves Bookstore (@shelvesbookstore) on
Sep 4, 2020 at 11:32am PDT
James Mack, who owns Epic Times, a jewelry store uptown, saw his business affected in a different way by the protests: A group of people smashed into his store and stole a lot of his merchandise.
That was that was extremely unfortunate because I was looking forward to things picking up and getting back to normal, Mack said. And that particular incident led to another two months shut down. So we missed a lot of that economic boost from different sources of income that individuals had obtained.
Mack said other businesses near him have shut down permanently due to the pandemic. But business has started to pick up, in person and online.
It wasn't like the old days, but it definitely was much more pronounced foot traffic, Mack said of Labor Day weekend. Im hopeful and if we can hold on Im sure well make it through.
At the Charlotte Mecklenburg Black Chamber of Commerce, executive director Shant Williams sees Charlottes Black-owned business community growing right along with its Black population.
Hopefully we see flowing money in both directions, because if we're able to drive more revenue to Black businesses, you know, they will have more capital to reinvest in themselves," she said.
Williams said that by investing in Black-owned businesses, all of Charlotte benefits.
Alexandra Watts joined WFAE as a Report for America Corps Member in 2020 in the unique partnership with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library using radio and Wikipedia to fill news deserts.
Click here for the latest coronavirus news on WFAEs live blog.
Sign up here for The Frequency, WFAEs daily email newsletter.
What questions do you have about the coronavirus? What has this experience been like for you? Share your questions below.
- How Black Lives Matter put slave reparations back on the agenda - FRANCE 24 English - April 20th, 2021
- Albany Black Lives Matter protest takes to the streets - Times Union - April 20th, 2021
- Miss Grand International wins the crown in Black Lives Matter-inspired dress: 'I'm proud to be Black' - Yahoo Sports - April 20th, 2021
- Breonna Taylors mother blasts Black Lives Matter movement - The Independent - April 20th, 2021
- "Enough is Enough": Black Lives Matter Twin Ports marches through Duluth to spread their message - KBJR 6 - April 20th, 2021
- 'The fear increases. The anger grows' Black Lives Matter rally held at Monongalia County Courthouse in Morgantown (West Virgina) - WV News - April 20th, 2021
- Face facts: Black Lives Matter is all about hate - February 10th, 2021
- What Is The Black Lives Matter Movement? - WorldAtlas - February 10th, 2021
- Who Is Black Lives Matter? - Washington Examiner - February 10th, 2021
- Black Lives Matter May Be the Largest Movement in U.S ... - February 10th, 2021
- The Agenda of Black Lives Matter Is Far Different From the ... - February 10th, 2021
- Black Lives Matter: A primer on what it is and what it ... - February 10th, 2021
- PolitiFact | Is Black Lives Matter a Marxist movement? - February 10th, 2021
- Boulder's Motus Theater to hear about immigration from Black Lives Matter founder - coloradopolitics.com - February 10th, 2021
- These BLM activists are fighting for the civil rights of the next generation - CNN - February 10th, 2021
- Lompoc Black Lives Matter organizers awarded Valley of the Flowers Peace Prize - Lompoc Record - February 10th, 2021
- #BlackLivesMatter: A Silver Lining to the Movement's Aesthetic - Harvard Political Review - February 10th, 2021
- Livingston Kicks Off Black History Month Events with Black Lives Matter Banner Dedication - TAPinto.net - February 10th, 2021
- BLM influencers: 10 Black Lives Matter activists on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter you should follow - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2021
- A man in Illinois pleaded guilty to inciting a violent riot in support of Black Lives Matter - Insider - Insider - February 4th, 2021
- From Black Panthers to Black Lives Matter: The fight for equality continues - KTVU San Francisco - February 4th, 2021
- How Black Lives Matter Came to the Academy - The New Yorker - February 4th, 2021
- Valley of the Flowers Peace Prize awarded to Lompoc Black Lives Matter organizers - Lompoc Record - February 4th, 2021
- Nonprofit barred for supporting Black Lives Matter may be allowed back in Maine jail - Press Herald - February 4th, 2021
- USC looks to preserve the Black Lives Matter Movement through firsthand experiences - WLTX.com - February 4th, 2021
- Bills filed to counter Black Lives Matter protests - The Herald Bulletin - February 4th, 2021
- Breonna Taylor: A beloved sister becomes a symbol of pain, an icon of hope - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2021
- How the Radical Graphic Design of the Black Panthers Influences the Movement for Black Lives - HarpersBAZAAR.com - February 4th, 2021
- Beethoven Meets Black Lives Matter in Heartbeat Opera's Breathing Free - San Francisco Classical Voice - February 4th, 2021
- Black Lives Matter at School Week of Action 2021 - School Library Journal - February 4th, 2021
- A summer of solidarity: Looking back on the Black Lives Matter marches in Japan - The Japan Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Black Lives Matter has brought a global reckoning with history. This is why the Uluru Statement is so crucial - The Conversation AU - December 22nd, 2020
- New WA Black Lives Matter Alliance agenda aims for 'liberation' - KUOW News and Information - December 22nd, 2020
- Black Lives Matter 757 organizing toy drive and distribution - WAVY.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Protests Spur Creation of Institute for the Study of Global Racial Justice - Rutgers Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Asking the Clergy: Black Lives Matter movement and Kwanzaa - Newsday - December 22nd, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Backlash: The NYPD's War on Protesters Intensifies - The Indypendent - December 22nd, 2020
- Year in Review: How Black Lives Matter Inspired a New Generation of Youth Activists - Rolling Stone - December 17th, 2020
- In 2021, we must show that Black Lives Matter beyond diversity theater - Fast Company - December 17th, 2020
- Why Black Lives Matter: African American thriving for the twenty-first century - Religion News Service - December 17th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter demonstrator's rescue is this year's Most Inspiring Moment - CNN - December 17th, 2020
- Six months after mass protests began, what is the future of BLM? - The Economist - December 17th, 2020
- The City of Portland Fines a Building Owner for Oversized Black Lives Matter Sign - Willamette Week - December 17th, 2020
- Maria Casely-Hayford on Black Lives Matter: It is a cultural wake-up call such as Ive never seen before - British GQ - December 17th, 2020
- Fact check: Story about United Airlines, Black Lives Matter and a toddler is satirical - USA TODAY - December 17th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter and the Color of the Public Square - Religion & Politics - December 17th, 2020
- 2020 Best of the Beat Forsyth County Edition: Black Lives Matter - Triad City Beat - December 17th, 2020
- Organizer of Black Lives Matter mural in Florence requests that the city does not remove it - WBTW - December 17th, 2020
- Youth Spotlight Column: Black lives matter in the hearts of Ipswich Students - The Local Ne.ws - September 26th, 2020
- Back the Blue, Black Lives Matter rallies meet on Clinton Street - The Ithaca Voice - September 26th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter's Goal to 'Disrupt' the Nuclear Family Fits a Marxist Aim That Goes Back a Century and a Half | Jon Miltimore - Foundation for... - September 26th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: If you don't agree that Black lives matter, you are racist - Summit Daily News - September 26th, 2020
- The sheriff's race pitting Trump against Black Lives Matter - NBC News - September 26th, 2020
- 4 Things the Liberal Media Wont Tell You About Black ... - September 4th, 2020
- You're Being Duped: Black Lives Matter Founder Admits "We ... - September 4th, 2020
- Here's What Black Lives Matter Leaders' Ultimate Goal Is - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Just Entered Its Next Phase - The Atlantic - September 4th, 2020
- Back the Blue and Black Lives Matter protests face off in Danvers - Boston Herald - September 4th, 2020
- Utah police union accuses teachers of 'political indoctrination' by supporting Black Lives Matter movement in class - Salt Lake Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Mayor one-ups Black Lives Matter rally with his own plans - ABC News - September 4th, 2020
- Webster Groves neighbors mailed anonymous letter asking them to remove Black Lives Matter signs - KMOV.com - September 4th, 2020
- Man arrested after carrying AR-15 near Black Lives Matter protests in Vermont - NBC News - September 4th, 2020
- How to be an ally for Black lives - Medical News Today - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Don't Matter to Black Lives Matter, Says Rudy Giuliani - Mother Jones - August 28th, 2020
- 'Black Lives Matter' mural to be painted along Grace Street in Downtown - Richmond Free Press - August 28th, 2020
- NHLs lack of solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests out of touch, say critics - News 1130 - August 28th, 2020
- Yellow Springs Black Lives Matter Protests On Thirteenth Consecutive Week - WYSO - August 28th, 2020
- JOIN THE DISCUSSION: Voting in the Time of COVID & Black Lives Matter (LIVE PANEL AT 2PM) - 10News - August 28th, 2020
- Organizers expecting up to 250 participants in Aug. 29 Black Lives Matter march in Pendleton - East Oregonian - August 28th, 2020
- Elected officials join Black Lives Matter protest on third night since shooting of Jacob Blake - UW Badger Herald - August 28th, 2020
- The BoF Podcast: Stella Jean Asks 'Do Black Lives Matter in Italian Fashion?' | Podcasts | BoF - The Business of Fashion - August 28th, 2020
- McCarthy addresses COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter in live Q&A - The Bakersfield Californian - August 28th, 2020
- Flight attendant suspects his ties to Black Lives Matter led to vandalism of his SUV at DIA - FOX 31 Denver - August 28th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter in Northern Ireland - The Economist - August 28th, 2020
- San Jose in a quandary over what to do with unauthorized Black Lives Matter mural - The Mercury News - August 10th, 2020
- A look at where the Black Lives Matter murals will be placed in KC - KCTV Kansas City - August 10th, 2020
- How this Llama is playing peacemaker amid Black Lives Matter protests in Portland - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2020
- What is intolerance fatigue, and how is it fueling Black Lives Matter protests? - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- How did the Black Lives Matter movement get to where it is today? - News@Northeastern - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: dramas from the Black Lives Matter frontlines - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020