Utahs largest police union alleges that some teachers in the state have been pushing an anti-law enforcement agenda by making disparaging comments about officers in front of students and wearing Black Lives Matter shirts in the classroom.
In a letter addressed to the state superintendent this week, the Utah Fraternal Order of Police demands that Utah Board of Education immediately denounce such actions. Educators, the union said, should be neutral on all political issues.
If teachers want to protest police, then it needs to be on their own time, the union wrote. The classroom is NOT the place for political indoctrination or social engineering based upon the political leanings of the teacher.
The FOP specifically points to a teacher at an unnamed West Jordan elementary school, who it said wore a BLM T-shirt and spoke out against police to her class.
One of the students in the room, the union said, happened to be the daughter of an officer who was injured during one of the recent Salt Lake City rallies. At those events, protesters have denounced racism and violence at the hands of law enforcement in response to the death of George Floyd, a Black man who was killed by a white Minneapolis officer.
In its letter, the FOP called the demonstrations riots. And it said the West Jordan student was uncomfortable with the discussion and felt like her parent was being attacked by her teacher.
This child was emotionally devastated by someone who should be helping her feel safe, the union added.
Ian Adams, the executive director of the Utah FOP, said Thursday that he wouldnt identify the family or school for privacy reasons. But the officer, he said, had to be hospitalized because of his injuries during the May 30 rally that was the most turbulent and likely the largest. Now, how is that child supposed to trust that teacher? Adams asked.
In response to the allegations, Sandy Riesgraf, the spokesperson for Jordan School District, said Thursday that administrators there were never contacted directly by the union. But they conducted a review after seeing the letter and found no evidence that a teacher, as they say, was making disparaging comments about law enforcement officers in the classroom.
Riesgraf said a teacher at a West Jordan elementary was wearing a BLM shirt. That alone, though, likely does not break the districts or the states policies concerning political speech by educators.
Obviously, within the confines of a classroom discussion, to discuss the Democratic and Republican parties is fine, said Mark Peterson, spokesman for the Utah Board of Education. But to say one party is better is not. Youre allowed to discuss them as concepts.
Peterson added that it would probably be up to attorneys to determine if a Black Lives Matter shirt crosses a boundary. Is it like a rainbow sticker supporting the LGBTQ community? Does it just tell students that they should respect Black lives? Or, he asked, does it convey an anti-police message?
That would be open to interpretation, Peterson said. Im sure there are lawyers who would argue that is political speech.
However, Black Lives Matter Utah does not view it as political. Leader Lex Scott said that valuing Black lives isnt a partisan issue.
When we say that our lives matter and you disagree, thats racism, Scott said Thursday in response to the FOP letter.
She has sent a message to the union, asking the leaders there to sit down with members of Black Lives Matter Utah and have a discussion. Currently, she feels the letter is creating more division in the community. I hope that theyll give us a call and that we can handle this diplomatically, Scott added.
Adams with FOP, though, believes that wearing the shirt expresses an opinion about political activism. And he said he also wouldnt want teachers to wear Blues Lives Matter shirts to support the police. There should be no agendas about law enforcement, he suggested, inside the classroom.
Unfortunately, its the students who pay the price on this one, he said.
Additionally, the FOP said the West Jordan elementary incident is just one case of several it has heard about from its 4,100 members since the new school year began last month, after a summer of tensions between police and protesters.
The union suggested that teachers are also assigning books that portray police officers as evil, or unnecessarily violent toward persons of color. The group said educators have, as well, given speaking assignments full of anti-police sentiment.
This is not what the education system in Utah should look like, the group wrote in its letter. And students, they said, especially those with parents in law enforcement, should not be subject to this treatment.
The union is now calling for the Utah board to remind teachers of the rules regarding political speech. The FOP concludes: We trust that this issue can be resolved.
The rest is here:
- Black Lives Matter | Definition, Founders, Goals, History, & Influence ... - January 23rd, 2023
- Black Lives Matter - Wikipedia - January 23rd, 2023
- BLM has left Black Americans worse off since the movement began ... - January 23rd, 2023
- Heres the Real Takeaway From Black Lives Matters Sketchy Finances - January 23rd, 2023
- Black Lives Matter: How far has the movement come? - January 23rd, 2023
- What Happened To Black Lives Matter? - BuzzFeed News - January 23rd, 2023
- Black Lives Matters National Organization Opens Its Books - January 23rd, 2023
- What Black Lives Matter Means: The History of the Movement - January 23rd, 2023
- What Does "Black Lives Matter" Actually Mean? Why Saying "All Lives ... - January 23rd, 2023
- In 2020, the Black Lives Matter movement shook the world - January 23rd, 2023
- Panicked Elon Musk Reportedly Begging Engineers Not to Leave - November 20th, 2022
- Sam Bankman-Fried Admits the "Ethics Stuff" Was "Mostly a Front" - November 20th, 2022
- Celebrities' Bored Apes Are Hilariously Worthless Now - November 20th, 2022
- "Elon" Plummets in Popularity as a Baby Name for Some Reason - November 20th, 2022
- Startup Says It's Building a Giant CO2 Battery in the United States - November 20th, 2022
- Celebrities Are Officially Being Sued by FTX Retail Investors - November 20th, 2022
- Former Facebook Exec Says Zuckerberg Has Surrounded Himself With Sycophants - November 20th, 2022
- FDA Gives First Go Ahead for Lab Grown Meat Product - November 20th, 2022
- Experts Baffled by Why NASA’s “Red Crew” Wear Blue Shirts - November 20th, 2022
- Amazing Map Lets You Scroll Through the Entire Known Universe - November 20th, 2022
- Twitter Claims Video of Moon Rocket Launch Is Revenge Porn - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Drops Stunning New James Webb Image of a Star Being Born - November 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk Locks Twitter Employees Out Office, Then Asks Them to Meet Him on the 10th Floor - November 20th, 2022
- Experts Excoriate NASA Report Claiming James Webb Wasn't Homophobic - November 20th, 2022
- So Many People Are Using a Diabetes Drug for Weight Loss That Actual Diabetics Are Having Trouble Getting It - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Orders Press Not to Photograph Launch Site After Moon Mission Takes Off - November 20th, 2022
- Behind the Lawsuit Against Celebs Who Shilled FTX Before Its Spectacular Meltdown - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Tells Astronauts That Tweeting Isn't As Important as Staying Alive - November 20th, 2022
- Ticketmaster May Have Finally Met Its Match: Furious Swifties - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Sets Launch Date for Mission to $10 Quintillion Asteroid - November 4th, 2022
- There's Something Strange About How These Stars Are Moving, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Manslaughter Case Has a Strange Twist: Tesla That Killed Couple Was on Autopilot - November 4th, 2022
- Twitter Working on Plan to Charge Users to Watch Videos - November 4th, 2022
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Found a Way to Control How High Mice Got on Cocaine - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Use Actual Lunar Soil Sample to Create Rocket Fuel - November 4th, 2022
- Greta Thunberg Says UN Climate Conference Is a Scam and She's Not Attending - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Spot "Stripped, Pulsating Core" of Star Caused By Horrific Accident - November 4th, 2022
- China Plans to Send Monkeys to Space Station to Have Sex With Each Other - November 4th, 2022
- Huge Drone Swarm to Form Giant Advertisement Over NYC Skyline - November 4th, 2022
- Cats May Be Tampering With Crime Scenes, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- AOC Says Her Twitter Account Broke After She Made Fun of Elon Musk - November 4th, 2022
- US Gov to Crack Down on "Bossware" That Spies On Employees' Computers - November 4th, 2022
- Elon Musk Meeting With Advertisers, Begging Them Not to Leave Twitter - November 4th, 2022
- Chinese Spaceplane Releases Mystery Object Into Orbit - November 4th, 2022
- Hackers Just Took Down One of the World's Most Advanced Telescopes - November 4th, 2022
- Jeff Bezos' Housekeeper Says She Had to Climb Out the Window to Use the Bathroom - November 4th, 2022
- That "Research" About How Smartphones Are Causing Deformed Human Bodies Is SEO Spam, You Idiots - November 4th, 2022
- Supporters of Black Lives Matters are more likely to have protest-related dreams, study finds - PsyPost - May 12th, 2022
- Is fashion facing up to the diversity challenge? - Drapers - May 12th, 2022
- Jury clears man of pulling a gun when confronted with Black Lives Matter crowd - The Union Leader - May 12th, 2022
- Estimated Mask Use and Temporal Relationship to COVID-19 Epidemiology of Black Lives Matter Protests in 12 Cities - DocWire News - May 12th, 2022
- 'Ingraham Angle' on Black Lives Matter, inflation - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Kyle Rittenhouse Gives Testimony on Deadly Shooting at Black Lives Matter Protest in Wisconsin - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - November 13th, 2021
- USC professor speaks out on refusal to remove pro-police flag from office: Campus is a 'progressive bubble' - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- TikTok Influencer Of Color Faced `Frustrating Obstacle Trying To Add The Word Black To His Creator Marketplace Bio - Forbes - July 12th, 2021
- Black Lives Matter and pandemic focus of this year's 'Art and Social Justice Exhibition' - South Bend Tribune - July 12th, 2021
- 'Person flying it is a racist,' Utah Black Lives Matter says of those who fly American flag - Salt Lake Tribune - July 12th, 2021
- Philly cops brother charged with assaulting Black Lives Matter protester in Fishtown - The Philadelphia Inquirer - July 12th, 2021
- Florida man admits murder-for-hire plot that he tried to blame on Black Lives Matter - The Independent - July 12th, 2021
- TikTok blocked creators from using 'Black Lives Matter' in bios | TheHill - The Hill - July 12th, 2021
- Black Lives Matter Sudbury reflects on first year of local activism - CBC.ca - July 12th, 2021
- Do Black Lives Really Matter at Lululemon? - The Root - July 12th, 2021
- Fact check: Has Japan has banned all Black Lives Matter apparel from the Olympics? - WRAL.com - July 12th, 2021
- Black Lives Matter marks one year in Sudbury - CTV Toronto - July 12th, 2021
- Reparations: Can Money Absolve the Sins of the Past? - Voice of America - July 12th, 2021
- Hear Ministry's Seething New Song "Good Trouble," Inspired by Black Lives Matter - Revolver Magazine - July 12th, 2021
- How Black Lives Matter put slave reparations back on the agenda - FRANCE 24 English - April 20th, 2021
- Albany Black Lives Matter protest takes to the streets - Times Union - April 20th, 2021
- Miss Grand International wins the crown in Black Lives Matter-inspired dress: 'I'm proud to be Black' - Yahoo Sports - April 20th, 2021
- Breonna Taylors mother blasts Black Lives Matter movement - The Independent - April 20th, 2021
- "Enough is Enough": Black Lives Matter Twin Ports marches through Duluth to spread their message - KBJR 6 - April 20th, 2021
- 'The fear increases. The anger grows' Black Lives Matter rally held at Monongalia County Courthouse in Morgantown (West Virgina) - WV News - April 20th, 2021
- Face facts: Black Lives Matter is all about hate - February 10th, 2021
- What Is The Black Lives Matter Movement? - WorldAtlas - February 10th, 2021
- Who Is Black Lives Matter? - Washington Examiner - February 10th, 2021
- Black Lives Matter May Be the Largest Movement in U.S ... - February 10th, 2021
- The Agenda of Black Lives Matter Is Far Different From the ... - February 10th, 2021
- Black Lives Matter: A primer on what it is and what it ... - February 10th, 2021
- PolitiFact | Is Black Lives Matter a Marxist movement? - February 10th, 2021