Utahs largest police union alleges that some teachers in the state have been pushing an anti-law enforcement agenda by making disparaging comments about officers in front of students and wearing Black Lives Matter shirts in the classroom.
In a letter addressed to the state superintendent this week, the Utah Fraternal Order of Police demands that Utah Board of Education immediately denounce such actions. Educators, the union said, should be neutral on all political issues.
If teachers want to protest police, then it needs to be on their own time, the union wrote. The classroom is NOT the place for political indoctrination or social engineering based upon the political leanings of the teacher.
The FOP specifically points to a teacher at an unnamed West Jordan elementary school, who it said wore a BLM T-shirt and spoke out against police to her class.
One of the students in the room, the union said, happened to be the daughter of an officer who was injured during one of the recent Salt Lake City rallies. At those events, protesters have denounced racism and violence at the hands of law enforcement in response to the death of George Floyd, a Black man who was killed by a white Minneapolis officer.
In its letter, the FOP called the demonstrations riots. And it said the West Jordan student was uncomfortable with the discussion and felt like her parent was being attacked by her teacher.
This child was emotionally devastated by someone who should be helping her feel safe, the union added.
Ian Adams, the executive director of the Utah FOP, said Thursday that he wouldnt identify the family or school for privacy reasons. But the officer, he said, had to be hospitalized because of his injuries during the May 30 rally that was the most turbulent and likely the largest. Now, how is that child supposed to trust that teacher? Adams asked.
In response to the allegations, Sandy Riesgraf, the spokesperson for Jordan School District, said Thursday that administrators there were never contacted directly by the union. But they conducted a review after seeing the letter and found no evidence that a teacher, as they say, was making disparaging comments about law enforcement officers in the classroom.
Riesgraf said a teacher at a West Jordan elementary was wearing a BLM shirt. That alone, though, likely does not break the districts or the states policies concerning political speech by educators.
Obviously, within the confines of a classroom discussion, to discuss the Democratic and Republican parties is fine, said Mark Peterson, spokesman for the Utah Board of Education. But to say one party is better is not. Youre allowed to discuss them as concepts.
Peterson added that it would probably be up to attorneys to determine if a Black Lives Matter shirt crosses a boundary. Is it like a rainbow sticker supporting the LGBTQ community? Does it just tell students that they should respect Black lives? Or, he asked, does it convey an anti-police message?
That would be open to interpretation, Peterson said. Im sure there are lawyers who would argue that is political speech.
However, Black Lives Matter Utah does not view it as political. Leader Lex Scott said that valuing Black lives isnt a partisan issue.
When we say that our lives matter and you disagree, thats racism, Scott said Thursday in response to the FOP letter.
She has sent a message to the union, asking the leaders there to sit down with members of Black Lives Matter Utah and have a discussion. Currently, she feels the letter is creating more division in the community. I hope that theyll give us a call and that we can handle this diplomatically, Scott added.
Adams with FOP, though, believes that wearing the shirt expresses an opinion about political activism. And he said he also wouldnt want teachers to wear Blues Lives Matter shirts to support the police. There should be no agendas about law enforcement, he suggested, inside the classroom.
Unfortunately, its the students who pay the price on this one, he said.
Additionally, the FOP said the West Jordan elementary incident is just one case of several it has heard about from its 4,100 members since the new school year began last month, after a summer of tensions between police and protesters.
The union suggested that teachers are also assigning books that portray police officers as evil, or unnecessarily violent toward persons of color. The group said educators have, as well, given speaking assignments full of anti-police sentiment.
This is not what the education system in Utah should look like, the group wrote in its letter. And students, they said, especially those with parents in law enforcement, should not be subject to this treatment.
The union is now calling for the Utah board to remind teachers of the rules regarding political speech. The FOP concludes: We trust that this issue can be resolved.
The rest is here:
- What's Happened To Charlotte's Black-Owned Businesses In The Wake Of COVID-19 And BLM Movement? - WFAE - September 26th, 2020
- Youth Spotlight Column: Black lives matter in the hearts of Ipswich Students - The Local Ne.ws - September 26th, 2020
- Back the Blue, Black Lives Matter rallies meet on Clinton Street - The Ithaca Voice - September 26th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter's Goal to 'Disrupt' the Nuclear Family Fits a Marxist Aim That Goes Back a Century and a Half | Jon Miltimore - Foundation for... - September 26th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: If you don't agree that Black lives matter, you are racist - Summit Daily News - September 26th, 2020
- The sheriff's race pitting Trump against Black Lives Matter - NBC News - September 26th, 2020
- 4 Things the Liberal Media Wont Tell You About Black ... - September 4th, 2020
- You're Being Duped: Black Lives Matter Founder Admits "We ... - September 4th, 2020
- Here's What Black Lives Matter Leaders' Ultimate Goal Is - September 4th, 2020
- What Is The Black Lives Matter Movement? - WorldAtlas - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Just Entered Its Next Phase - The Atlantic - September 4th, 2020
- Back the Blue and Black Lives Matter protests face off in Danvers - Boston Herald - September 4th, 2020
- Mayor one-ups Black Lives Matter rally with his own plans - ABC News - September 4th, 2020
- Webster Groves neighbors mailed anonymous letter asking them to remove Black Lives Matter signs - KMOV.com - September 4th, 2020
- Man arrested after carrying AR-15 near Black Lives Matter protests in Vermont - NBC News - September 4th, 2020
- How to be an ally for Black lives - Medical News Today - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Don't Matter to Black Lives Matter, Says Rudy Giuliani - Mother Jones - August 28th, 2020
- 'Black Lives Matter' mural to be painted along Grace Street in Downtown - Richmond Free Press - August 28th, 2020
- NHLs lack of solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests out of touch, say critics - News 1130 - August 28th, 2020
- Yellow Springs Black Lives Matter Protests On Thirteenth Consecutive Week - WYSO - August 28th, 2020
- JOIN THE DISCUSSION: Voting in the Time of COVID & Black Lives Matter (LIVE PANEL AT 2PM) - 10News - August 28th, 2020
- Organizers expecting up to 250 participants in Aug. 29 Black Lives Matter march in Pendleton - East Oregonian - August 28th, 2020
- Elected officials join Black Lives Matter protest on third night since shooting of Jacob Blake - UW Badger Herald - August 28th, 2020
- The BoF Podcast: Stella Jean Asks 'Do Black Lives Matter in Italian Fashion?' | Podcasts | BoF - The Business of Fashion - August 28th, 2020
- McCarthy addresses COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter in live Q&A - The Bakersfield Californian - August 28th, 2020
- Flight attendant suspects his ties to Black Lives Matter led to vandalism of his SUV at DIA - FOX 31 Denver - August 28th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter in Northern Ireland - The Economist - August 28th, 2020
- San Jose in a quandary over what to do with unauthorized Black Lives Matter mural - The Mercury News - August 10th, 2020
- A look at where the Black Lives Matter murals will be placed in KC - KCTV Kansas City - August 10th, 2020
- How this Llama is playing peacemaker amid Black Lives Matter protests in Portland - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2020
- What is intolerance fatigue, and how is it fueling Black Lives Matter protests? - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- How did the Black Lives Matter movement get to where it is today? - News@Northeastern - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: dramas from the Black Lives Matter frontlines - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- N.Y.P.D. Besieges a Protest Leader as He Broadcasts Live - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- High school student forced to take off Black Lives Matter mask at graduation ceremony, family says - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- In the Wake of Protests - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Dozens of police officers gathered outside the home of a BLM ... - August 9th, 2020
- Protesters clash in Minden after sheriff's statement on Black ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Protester Turns Himself In To Police One ... - August 9th, 2020
- Jewish Responsibility During Black Lives Matter | Jewish ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter activists rally in Martinsville Saturday ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Has Destroyed the Spirit of Sports - August 9th, 2020
- U.S. artist Adam Pendleton brings Black Lives Matter to Tel Aviv: I dont shy away from complicated ideas - Haaretz - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter group offers rural people 'insight into prejudice' - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founders: Marxist, Radical and Soros ... - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter: Making sense of the hashtag, movement and protests - Deseret News - August 8th, 2020
- American Catholics and the Black Lives Matter Movement - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Back the Badge and Black Lives Matter protesters turn out Olathe - KCTV Kansas City - August 8th, 2020
- 'Thirty miles a day': They're walking 750 miles to arrive in DC on 57th anniversary of MLK's 'I Have A Dream' speech - USA TODAY - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Rally on Grounds of Former German Youth Camp in Sussex County - TAPinto.net - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Mural at Trump Tower Vandalized Again by Repeat Offender - NBC New York - August 8th, 2020
- Someone Tagged Black Lives Matter Outside a Church in Southeast Portland. Staff Decided to Keep Itand Turn It Into a Mural - Willamette Week - August 8th, 2020
- Someone wrote 'Black Lives Matter' in the Black Rock Desert. It's 4 miles wide. - Reno Gazette Journal - August 6th, 2020
- Family travels the country to spread a message of love and honor Black Lives Matter - KGW.com - August 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter takes center ice in a historic moment for the NHL - People's World - August 6th, 2020
- Technologys Role In Driving Progress In Black Lives Matter - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Listen to the young voices of the Black Lives Matter movement - The Guardian - August 6th, 2020
- Experience prepared Julie Rousseau to lead USCs Black Lives Matter Action Team - OCRegister - August 6th, 2020
- Grants offered to artists responding to Black Lives Matter - AroundtheO - August 5th, 2020
- Beyond the Paint in Worcester to showcase Black Lives Matter mural artists - Worcester Telegram - August 5th, 2020
- Portlands Wall of Moms is now Moms United for Black Lives - Vox.com - August 5th, 2020
- From Black Lives Matter to Bleak House: David Lammy picks the best books about justice - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- De Blasio didnt submit application for Black Lives Matter street murals but asks others to apply - SILive.com - August 5th, 2020
- Wendy Osefo on Her Involvement with Black Lives Matter: This Is My Lifes Work - Bravo - August 5th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter: A primer on what it is and what it ... - August 4th, 2020
- A Black Lives Matter mural is defaced with red, white and blue paint in Washington state - CNN - August 4th, 2020
- UMTV's The Culture sheds light on the Black Lives Matter movement - University of Miami - August 4th, 2020
- Gizelle Bryant Explains How the RHOP Cast Is Coming Together to Support Black Lives Matter - Bravo - August 4th, 2020
- Survey posted to help determine location of 'Black Lives Matter Street' in Buffalo - WKBW-TV - August 4th, 2020
- NBA season restarts with a nod to Black Lives Matter and 2 games that went down to the wire - CNN - August 4th, 2020
- From Bloody Sunday to Black Lives Matter, the role of the Black church is shifting - POLITICO - July 31st, 2020
- The three reasons Black Lives Matter marchers refuse to quit - CNN - July 31st, 2020
- A man held a Black Lives Matter sign in Harrison, Arkansas. He posted the racist responses to YouTube. - USA TODAY - July 31st, 2020
- Instead of demonising Black Lives Matter protesters, leaders must act on their calls for racial justice - The Conversation AU - July 31st, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Group: Apology to Family of Man Who Died - The New York Times - July 31st, 2020
- Orlando Hudson says he won't wear Black Lives Matter shirt - SCNow - July 31st, 2020
- This Black Lives Matter Activist Is Running for Congress. Can She Bring Down a 20-Year Incumbent? - Mother Jones - July 31st, 2020
- Dodgers to Auction Off Opening Day Black Lives Matter Jerseys - NBC Southern California - July 31st, 2020
- Fact Checking Kennedy And Markey On Their Black Lives Matter Claims - WBUR - July 31st, 2020
- From the renegade to Black Lives Matter: How Black creators are changing TikTok culture - NBC News - July 31st, 2020