We dont really know when the economy will get better, but there are three directions it could go. We break them down and why the future of the largest economy in the world is virtually in the hands of Congress.
What is missed often about what these movements have in common is we may not be of a religious tradition, but we absolutely are of a spiritual tradition, Khan said, citing the examples of Lewis and Ella Baker, another civil rights forbear with ties to the church. There is something inherently supernatural and spiritual about the work of social justice and the work of change.
The goals of the Black Lives Matter movement also intersect with the objectives of many liberation-focused Black churches: self-sufficient, politically empowered Black communities, equal access to resources and deep regard for public safety.
Al Sharpton, Baptist minister and founder of the National Action Network, said that to suggest that the movements conflict with the church is a new phenomenon would be rewriting of the movement.
This is nothing new, Sharpton said. Martin Luther King used to call it 'creative tension.' We need the push and pull between different disciplines and different tactics to come up with the best way.
Sharpton pointed out that of the Big Six civil rights leaders of the 1960s who coordinated the first March on Washington James Farmer, Roy Wilkins, A. Phillip Randolph, Whitney Young, King and Lewis only one, King, was a preacher. Many, as in the case of Roy Wilkins, were often hostile to the church as an organizing tool and felt it got in the way of the movements goals. Its a pattern that repeats itself in the Black Lives Matter era, Sharpton argued.
It's not like you don't have church leaders that don't disagree with me, he said. And it's not like you don't have Black Lives Matter folks that say he ain't with us even though he's black, and he says he is. There's searching on all sides. Can we make it all work is the challenge.
Two of Black Lives Matters founders, Patrisse Cullors and Alicia Garza, have spoken at National Action Network events and gone on Sharptons show to show operational unity. Younger activists have deferred to Sharpton in their organizing, as was the case in Minneapolis during George Floyds funeral, where it was accepted that Sharpton would deliver Floyds eulogy.
Activists of all generations, genders and sexual and religious orientations are united, moreover, in their view of how Lewis civil rights record has informed the work they have done and continue to do. His legacy proves especially critical now, following the more than two months of protests against racism and police violence that have made Lewis quintessential phrase good trouble newly relevant.
Speaking at Lewis' funeral at Ebenezer Baptist Church, former President Barack Obama, weighed in from the pulpit on the biggest political issues of the day: Voting rights, fair Congressional representation and the presence of federal agents in Americas cities.
We may no longer have to guess the number of jelly beans in a jar in order to cast a ballot, but even as we sit here, there are those in power who are doing their darnedest to discourage people from voting by closing polling locations and targeting minorities and students with restrictive ID laws and attacking our voting rights with surgical precision, Obama, the nation's first Black president, said.
Yet Lewis work, Obama continued, vindicated the faith in our founding.
Several organizers said Lewis legacy has helped them push the boundaries of what could be possible in their work.
Patrisse Cullors, a co-founder of Black Lives Matter, evoked Lewis words from his speech at the first March on Washington in her address to the Democratic National Committees platform meeting on Monday.
Hearkening back to Lewis, we are now involved in a serious revolution, Cullors said, borrowing language from his March on Washington address. Cullors encouraged the Democrats to embrace sea changes recommended by the Black Lives Matter movement, namely the BREATHE Act, which would limit federal ability to deploy police forces to cities and dramatically decrease the defense budget.
It's not enough just to have a seat at the table, we want to create a table or we want to flip the table over, said Angela Peoples, an organizer and director of Black Womxn For, an organization that aims to galvanize the political power of Black women and gender non-conforming folks. But even being able to name that as something that we want or that we even think is possible is only because those that have come before us have pushed their existence and their reality to see beyond what's possible.
This was true even in the face of bodily danger, something that has been associated with Lewis legacy as a protester. Jesse Jackson, former presidential candidate and founder of the multiethnic organizing Rainbow Coalition said that Lewis became immortal on the Edmund Pettus Bridge on Bloody Sunday in 1965. During that day, Lewis skull was cracked by a state trooper with a billy club.
John never stopped fighting, Jackson said. He had no fear and was always a really gentle and tough-minded person.
He also had his eyes on the future, even in his final days: one of the last pieces of legislation Lewis supported was the Justice in Policing Act, which aims to limit police violence. The bill, which would establish a national standard for police tactics and limit officers use of force, passed in the House on June 25, exactly one month after Floyd was killed.
Kayla Reed, director of the organizing group Action St. Louis and co-creator of the Movement for Black Lives Electoral Justice Project, said Lewis legacy inspired her career of activism.
I think it highlights what is possible, Reed said. When we think about how some people put a beginning and end to movements, that movement [work] is actually a lifelong commitment.
- What's Happened To Charlotte's Black-Owned Businesses In The Wake Of COVID-19 And BLM Movement? - WFAE - September 26th, 2020
- Youth Spotlight Column: Black lives matter in the hearts of Ipswich Students - The Local Ne.ws - September 26th, 2020
- Back the Blue, Black Lives Matter rallies meet on Clinton Street - The Ithaca Voice - September 26th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter's Goal to 'Disrupt' the Nuclear Family Fits a Marxist Aim That Goes Back a Century and a Half | Jon Miltimore - Foundation for... - September 26th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: If you don't agree that Black lives matter, you are racist - Summit Daily News - September 26th, 2020
- The sheriff's race pitting Trump against Black Lives Matter - NBC News - September 26th, 2020
- 4 Things the Liberal Media Wont Tell You About Black ... - September 4th, 2020
- You're Being Duped: Black Lives Matter Founder Admits "We ... - September 4th, 2020
- Here's What Black Lives Matter Leaders' Ultimate Goal Is - September 4th, 2020
- What Is The Black Lives Matter Movement? - WorldAtlas - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Just Entered Its Next Phase - The Atlantic - September 4th, 2020
- Back the Blue and Black Lives Matter protests face off in Danvers - Boston Herald - September 4th, 2020
- Utah police union accuses teachers of 'political indoctrination' by supporting Black Lives Matter movement in class - Salt Lake Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Mayor one-ups Black Lives Matter rally with his own plans - ABC News - September 4th, 2020
- Webster Groves neighbors mailed anonymous letter asking them to remove Black Lives Matter signs - KMOV.com - September 4th, 2020
- Man arrested after carrying AR-15 near Black Lives Matter protests in Vermont - NBC News - September 4th, 2020
- How to be an ally for Black lives - Medical News Today - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Don't Matter to Black Lives Matter, Says Rudy Giuliani - Mother Jones - August 28th, 2020
- 'Black Lives Matter' mural to be painted along Grace Street in Downtown - Richmond Free Press - August 28th, 2020
- NHLs lack of solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests out of touch, say critics - News 1130 - August 28th, 2020
- Yellow Springs Black Lives Matter Protests On Thirteenth Consecutive Week - WYSO - August 28th, 2020
- JOIN THE DISCUSSION: Voting in the Time of COVID & Black Lives Matter (LIVE PANEL AT 2PM) - 10News - August 28th, 2020
- Organizers expecting up to 250 participants in Aug. 29 Black Lives Matter march in Pendleton - East Oregonian - August 28th, 2020
- Elected officials join Black Lives Matter protest on third night since shooting of Jacob Blake - UW Badger Herald - August 28th, 2020
- The BoF Podcast: Stella Jean Asks 'Do Black Lives Matter in Italian Fashion?' | Podcasts | BoF - The Business of Fashion - August 28th, 2020
- McCarthy addresses COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter in live Q&A - The Bakersfield Californian - August 28th, 2020
- Flight attendant suspects his ties to Black Lives Matter led to vandalism of his SUV at DIA - FOX 31 Denver - August 28th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter in Northern Ireland - The Economist - August 28th, 2020
- San Jose in a quandary over what to do with unauthorized Black Lives Matter mural - The Mercury News - August 10th, 2020
- A look at where the Black Lives Matter murals will be placed in KC - KCTV Kansas City - August 10th, 2020
- How this Llama is playing peacemaker amid Black Lives Matter protests in Portland - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2020
- What is intolerance fatigue, and how is it fueling Black Lives Matter protests? - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- How did the Black Lives Matter movement get to where it is today? - News@Northeastern - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: dramas from the Black Lives Matter frontlines - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- N.Y.P.D. Besieges a Protest Leader as He Broadcasts Live - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- High school student forced to take off Black Lives Matter mask at graduation ceremony, family says - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- In the Wake of Protests - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Dozens of police officers gathered outside the home of a BLM ... - August 9th, 2020
- Protesters clash in Minden after sheriff's statement on Black ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Protester Turns Himself In To Police One ... - August 9th, 2020
- Jewish Responsibility During Black Lives Matter | Jewish ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter activists rally in Martinsville Saturday ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Has Destroyed the Spirit of Sports - August 9th, 2020
- U.S. artist Adam Pendleton brings Black Lives Matter to Tel Aviv: I dont shy away from complicated ideas - Haaretz - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter group offers rural people 'insight into prejudice' - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founders: Marxist, Radical and Soros ... - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter: Making sense of the hashtag, movement and protests - Deseret News - August 8th, 2020
- American Catholics and the Black Lives Matter Movement - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Back the Badge and Black Lives Matter protesters turn out Olathe - KCTV Kansas City - August 8th, 2020
- 'Thirty miles a day': They're walking 750 miles to arrive in DC on 57th anniversary of MLK's 'I Have A Dream' speech - USA TODAY - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Rally on Grounds of Former German Youth Camp in Sussex County - TAPinto.net - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Mural at Trump Tower Vandalized Again by Repeat Offender - NBC New York - August 8th, 2020
- Someone Tagged Black Lives Matter Outside a Church in Southeast Portland. Staff Decided to Keep Itand Turn It Into a Mural - Willamette Week - August 8th, 2020
- Someone wrote 'Black Lives Matter' in the Black Rock Desert. It's 4 miles wide. - Reno Gazette Journal - August 6th, 2020
- Family travels the country to spread a message of love and honor Black Lives Matter - KGW.com - August 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter takes center ice in a historic moment for the NHL - People's World - August 6th, 2020
- Technologys Role In Driving Progress In Black Lives Matter - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Listen to the young voices of the Black Lives Matter movement - The Guardian - August 6th, 2020
- Experience prepared Julie Rousseau to lead USCs Black Lives Matter Action Team - OCRegister - August 6th, 2020
- Grants offered to artists responding to Black Lives Matter - AroundtheO - August 5th, 2020
- Beyond the Paint in Worcester to showcase Black Lives Matter mural artists - Worcester Telegram - August 5th, 2020
- Portlands Wall of Moms is now Moms United for Black Lives - Vox.com - August 5th, 2020
- From Black Lives Matter to Bleak House: David Lammy picks the best books about justice - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- De Blasio didnt submit application for Black Lives Matter street murals but asks others to apply - SILive.com - August 5th, 2020
- Wendy Osefo on Her Involvement with Black Lives Matter: This Is My Lifes Work - Bravo - August 5th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter: A primer on what it is and what it ... - August 4th, 2020
- A Black Lives Matter mural is defaced with red, white and blue paint in Washington state - CNN - August 4th, 2020
- UMTV's The Culture sheds light on the Black Lives Matter movement - University of Miami - August 4th, 2020
- Gizelle Bryant Explains How the RHOP Cast Is Coming Together to Support Black Lives Matter - Bravo - August 4th, 2020
- Survey posted to help determine location of 'Black Lives Matter Street' in Buffalo - WKBW-TV - August 4th, 2020
- NBA season restarts with a nod to Black Lives Matter and 2 games that went down to the wire - CNN - August 4th, 2020
- The three reasons Black Lives Matter marchers refuse to quit - CNN - July 31st, 2020
- A man held a Black Lives Matter sign in Harrison, Arkansas. He posted the racist responses to YouTube. - USA TODAY - July 31st, 2020
- Instead of demonising Black Lives Matter protesters, leaders must act on their calls for racial justice - The Conversation AU - July 31st, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Group: Apology to Family of Man Who Died - The New York Times - July 31st, 2020
- Orlando Hudson says he won't wear Black Lives Matter shirt - SCNow - July 31st, 2020
- This Black Lives Matter Activist Is Running for Congress. Can She Bring Down a 20-Year Incumbent? - Mother Jones - July 31st, 2020
- Dodgers to Auction Off Opening Day Black Lives Matter Jerseys - NBC Southern California - July 31st, 2020
- Fact Checking Kennedy And Markey On Their Black Lives Matter Claims - WBUR - July 31st, 2020
- From the renegade to Black Lives Matter: How Black creators are changing TikTok culture - NBC News - July 31st, 2020