NEW YORK, N.Y. -- Mayor Bill de Blasio appears to not have gone through the citys application process for street art when he commissioned Black Lives Matter street murals across the city but is asking groups wishing to paint messages of their own on city streets to do so.
De Blasio previously indicated he would not allow Blue Lives Matter and other groups to paint similar messages on city streets.
And City Hall also confirmed it would specifically not allow pro-police group Blue Lives Matter to paint their message near the NYPD headquarters.
However, de Blasio walked back his decision Monday, claiming he never said no to people, only that there is a process for applying.
What I decided to do with the Black Lives Matter murals ... this came out of a meeting at Gracie Mansion weeks ago with community leaders and activists who said this would be such an important thing for this city to declare officially, that is something again, transcends all normal realities because we are in a moment of history where this had to be said and done, de Blasio told reporters during a press conference with reporters Monday.
Thats a decision I made, but the normal process continues for anyone who wants to apply, he said.
Last month, de Blasio announced the city would paint Black Lives Matter street murals in every borough and rename streets to match the message on the heels of nationwide racial injustice protests following the death of George Floyd.
But his decision opened him up to scrutiny when he prevented others from painting messages of their own on city streets. His administration said groups would need to submit a Department of Transportation application in order for their public art request to be considered.
Civil liberties lawyer Norman Siegel, who previously served as the head of the New York Civil Liberties Union, told the Advance/SiLive.com that once the government allows one message on a public street theyre opening the door for other groups or individuals to want the same equal right.
Siegel also pointed out that it becomes problematic if the mayor did not submit an application to paint his Black Lives Matter street murals but is asking other groups to apply.
If you have a position that no expression [can be] on the public streets, thats one thing, but the government cant pick and choose which messages, which expression they approve of and which they reject based on the content of the message, Siegel said.
De Blasio said he would not allow police advocacy group Blue Lives Matter to paint their own message near the NYPD headquarters, prompting the group to threaten to sue the city to allow them to do so.
A conservative womens group has sued the city for blocking them from painting a mural of their slogan Engaging, Inspiring and Empowering Women to Make a Difference! the New York Post reported.
And the city recently sent Staten Island artist Scott LoBaido a cease and desist letter asking him to remove a bright blue line he painted along a divider on Hylan Boulevard outside of the 122nd precinct or face getting hit with summonses or legal actions.
LoBaido painted the line without city approval, arguing the mayor never got a permit to do that street art, so I guess its fair game.
City Hall and DOT had repeatedly avoided elaborating on its criteria for approving public street art and whether the mayor submitted an application before he proceeded with his street murals
Asked to elaborate on its approval process Monday, DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg was vague about the departments criteria.
Anyone can apply through our public art program but I think as the mayor has said the city does have discretion on those projects, Trottenberg said.
Officials In Redwood City, California ran into a similar problem when they allowed a local resident to paint Black Lives Matter on a downtown street.
The city decided to wash the street mural away after being contacted by a local real estate attorney who asked to paint MAGA 2020 on a street, KPIX reported.
The attorney argued that the street was now a public forum.
FOLLOW SYDNEY KASHIWAGI ON TWITTER.
- What's Happened To Charlotte's Black-Owned Businesses In The Wake Of COVID-19 And BLM Movement? - WFAE - September 26th, 2020
- Youth Spotlight Column: Black lives matter in the hearts of Ipswich Students - The Local Ne.ws - September 26th, 2020
- Back the Blue, Black Lives Matter rallies meet on Clinton Street - The Ithaca Voice - September 26th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter's Goal to 'Disrupt' the Nuclear Family Fits a Marxist Aim That Goes Back a Century and a Half | Jon Miltimore - Foundation for... - September 26th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: If you don't agree that Black lives matter, you are racist - Summit Daily News - September 26th, 2020
- The sheriff's race pitting Trump against Black Lives Matter - NBC News - September 26th, 2020
- 4 Things the Liberal Media Wont Tell You About Black ... - September 4th, 2020
- You're Being Duped: Black Lives Matter Founder Admits "We ... - September 4th, 2020
- Here's What Black Lives Matter Leaders' Ultimate Goal Is - September 4th, 2020
- What Is The Black Lives Matter Movement? - WorldAtlas - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Just Entered Its Next Phase - The Atlantic - September 4th, 2020
- Back the Blue and Black Lives Matter protests face off in Danvers - Boston Herald - September 4th, 2020
- Utah police union accuses teachers of 'political indoctrination' by supporting Black Lives Matter movement in class - Salt Lake Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Mayor one-ups Black Lives Matter rally with his own plans - ABC News - September 4th, 2020
- Webster Groves neighbors mailed anonymous letter asking them to remove Black Lives Matter signs - KMOV.com - September 4th, 2020
- Man arrested after carrying AR-15 near Black Lives Matter protests in Vermont - NBC News - September 4th, 2020
- How to be an ally for Black lives - Medical News Today - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Don't Matter to Black Lives Matter, Says Rudy Giuliani - Mother Jones - August 28th, 2020
- 'Black Lives Matter' mural to be painted along Grace Street in Downtown - Richmond Free Press - August 28th, 2020
- NHLs lack of solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests out of touch, say critics - News 1130 - August 28th, 2020
- Yellow Springs Black Lives Matter Protests On Thirteenth Consecutive Week - WYSO - August 28th, 2020
- JOIN THE DISCUSSION: Voting in the Time of COVID & Black Lives Matter (LIVE PANEL AT 2PM) - 10News - August 28th, 2020
- Organizers expecting up to 250 participants in Aug. 29 Black Lives Matter march in Pendleton - East Oregonian - August 28th, 2020
- Elected officials join Black Lives Matter protest on third night since shooting of Jacob Blake - UW Badger Herald - August 28th, 2020
- The BoF Podcast: Stella Jean Asks 'Do Black Lives Matter in Italian Fashion?' | Podcasts | BoF - The Business of Fashion - August 28th, 2020
- McCarthy addresses COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter in live Q&A - The Bakersfield Californian - August 28th, 2020
- Flight attendant suspects his ties to Black Lives Matter led to vandalism of his SUV at DIA - FOX 31 Denver - August 28th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter in Northern Ireland - The Economist - August 28th, 2020
- San Jose in a quandary over what to do with unauthorized Black Lives Matter mural - The Mercury News - August 10th, 2020
- A look at where the Black Lives Matter murals will be placed in KC - KCTV Kansas City - August 10th, 2020
- How this Llama is playing peacemaker amid Black Lives Matter protests in Portland - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2020
- What is intolerance fatigue, and how is it fueling Black Lives Matter protests? - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- How did the Black Lives Matter movement get to where it is today? - News@Northeastern - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: dramas from the Black Lives Matter frontlines - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- N.Y.P.D. Besieges a Protest Leader as He Broadcasts Live - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- High school student forced to take off Black Lives Matter mask at graduation ceremony, family says - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- In the Wake of Protests - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Dozens of police officers gathered outside the home of a BLM ... - August 9th, 2020
- Protesters clash in Minden after sheriff's statement on Black ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Protester Turns Himself In To Police One ... - August 9th, 2020
- Jewish Responsibility During Black Lives Matter | Jewish ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter activists rally in Martinsville Saturday ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Has Destroyed the Spirit of Sports - August 9th, 2020
- U.S. artist Adam Pendleton brings Black Lives Matter to Tel Aviv: I dont shy away from complicated ideas - Haaretz - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter group offers rural people 'insight into prejudice' - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founders: Marxist, Radical and Soros ... - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter: Making sense of the hashtag, movement and protests - Deseret News - August 8th, 2020
- American Catholics and the Black Lives Matter Movement - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Back the Badge and Black Lives Matter protesters turn out Olathe - KCTV Kansas City - August 8th, 2020
- 'Thirty miles a day': They're walking 750 miles to arrive in DC on 57th anniversary of MLK's 'I Have A Dream' speech - USA TODAY - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Rally on Grounds of Former German Youth Camp in Sussex County - TAPinto.net - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Mural at Trump Tower Vandalized Again by Repeat Offender - NBC New York - August 8th, 2020
- Someone Tagged Black Lives Matter Outside a Church in Southeast Portland. Staff Decided to Keep Itand Turn It Into a Mural - Willamette Week - August 8th, 2020
- Someone wrote 'Black Lives Matter' in the Black Rock Desert. It's 4 miles wide. - Reno Gazette Journal - August 6th, 2020
- Family travels the country to spread a message of love and honor Black Lives Matter - KGW.com - August 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter takes center ice in a historic moment for the NHL - People's World - August 6th, 2020
- Technologys Role In Driving Progress In Black Lives Matter - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Listen to the young voices of the Black Lives Matter movement - The Guardian - August 6th, 2020
- Experience prepared Julie Rousseau to lead USCs Black Lives Matter Action Team - OCRegister - August 6th, 2020
- Grants offered to artists responding to Black Lives Matter - AroundtheO - August 5th, 2020
- Beyond the Paint in Worcester to showcase Black Lives Matter mural artists - Worcester Telegram - August 5th, 2020
- Portlands Wall of Moms is now Moms United for Black Lives - Vox.com - August 5th, 2020
- From Black Lives Matter to Bleak House: David Lammy picks the best books about justice - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- Wendy Osefo on Her Involvement with Black Lives Matter: This Is My Lifes Work - Bravo - August 5th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter: A primer on what it is and what it ... - August 4th, 2020
- A Black Lives Matter mural is defaced with red, white and blue paint in Washington state - CNN - August 4th, 2020
- UMTV's The Culture sheds light on the Black Lives Matter movement - University of Miami - August 4th, 2020
- Gizelle Bryant Explains How the RHOP Cast Is Coming Together to Support Black Lives Matter - Bravo - August 4th, 2020
- Survey posted to help determine location of 'Black Lives Matter Street' in Buffalo - WKBW-TV - August 4th, 2020
- NBA season restarts with a nod to Black Lives Matter and 2 games that went down to the wire - CNN - August 4th, 2020
- From Bloody Sunday to Black Lives Matter, the role of the Black church is shifting - POLITICO - July 31st, 2020
- The three reasons Black Lives Matter marchers refuse to quit - CNN - July 31st, 2020
- A man held a Black Lives Matter sign in Harrison, Arkansas. He posted the racist responses to YouTube. - USA TODAY - July 31st, 2020
- Instead of demonising Black Lives Matter protesters, leaders must act on their calls for racial justice - The Conversation AU - July 31st, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Group: Apology to Family of Man Who Died - The New York Times - July 31st, 2020
- Orlando Hudson says he won't wear Black Lives Matter shirt - SCNow - July 31st, 2020
- This Black Lives Matter Activist Is Running for Congress. Can She Bring Down a 20-Year Incumbent? - Mother Jones - July 31st, 2020
- Dodgers to Auction Off Opening Day Black Lives Matter Jerseys - NBC Southern California - July 31st, 2020
- Fact Checking Kennedy And Markey On Their Black Lives Matter Claims - WBUR - July 31st, 2020
- From the renegade to Black Lives Matter: How Black creators are changing TikTok culture - NBC News - July 31st, 2020