August 8, 2020; Martinsville, Indiana: Black Lives Matter activist Belinda Snowden argues with a member of the Scallywags III-percenter motorcycle club as BLM holds a rally on the Morgan County Courthouse Square Saturday. The BLM activists were met by armed counter-protesters who surrounded the square. (Photo by Jeremy Hogan/The Bloomingtonian)
Before the group of Black Lives Matter activists showed up the Morgan County Square was already surrounded by people holding flags, and some carrying guns.
The rally was supposed to start at 3 p.m., but as a man sat near the war memorial downtown, holding a 16-gauge shotgun, the activists were nowhere to be seen. The man spoke using words like family, and heritage and expressed he was concerned the war memorial would be vandalized.
Two other men stood in the shade near a wall holding AR-15 rifles, one said he had been a cavalry scout in the U.S. Army, as he talked to another man sitting next to a scoped military-style rifle on a tripod, who reached out to pet a dog on a leash.
A man wearing a Military Police hat to indicate his service in the army sat on a sidewalk a short distance away, and a group of women stopped at the corner to pray. A couple from Florida had broken down near the site of the protest, and asked, Whats going on here?
The United States has been the location of continuous Black Lives Matter protests since Minneapolis Police killed George Floyd in May. However, this was the second Black Lives Matter protest in Martinsville.
A man could be heard saying to some people in a vehicle, They wont get much support here. This isnt Democrats like Bloomington. However, a member of the Martinsville Police Department said that Martinsville doesnt deserve the reputation it has and most people from the city would not protest against Black Lives Matter protesters. The city is known for the murder of a young Black woman in 1968, but it turned out the killer was from another city.
As a group of young women in their late teens or early 20s gathered to participate in the BLM rally, a man in his 50s walked past, looked at them, and grabbed his crotch.
Three women organized the rally Saturday. Katelynn Shaffer, and Shaelyn Powell, of Mooresville, spoke to a local reporter while they waited for BLM activist Sherry Tucker.
(Counter-protesters continued to show up at the square, and one man, maybe in his late 50s, wearing a white t-shirt looked at The Bloomingtonians Jeremy Hogan (me) weighed down with cameras and said in a threatening way, Try it and see what happens, as he put down a cooler, I noticed he was strapped with a handgun. So, I held my bottle of water and said to the man, I already have water, and then he said, Thats not what Im talking about.)
Black Lives Matter is for everyone. You dont have to be black to support Black Lives Matter. I feel that if you are not a racist person and you, you, everyone, despite their skin color is equal to you that you would also want them to feel safe and for them to receive justice. Were not anti-police officer. Were not anti-white people. Were just want to ensure that justice is served for people like Brionna Taylor and you know the names, said Katelynn Shaffer of Mooresville.
Tension filled the square as two young men carried Trump flags past the BLM activists who were finally gathering around 4 p.m. Two men carried a sign for the reelection of Donald Trump, and a BLM activist began to engage verbally with them, and out of nowhere Martinsville Police rolled up and separated the men from the BLM activists.
A few of the BLM activists got AR-15 style rifles from their vehicles and carried them throughout the rally.
The Scallywags III-percenter motorcycle club rolled up around 4 p.m. and parked on the square. A member of the group told The Bloomingtonian they are second amendment activists, and they are against tyranny. Some of the same bikers had participated in a Defend the Police caravan in Bloomington earlier Saturday.
The men walked in a group past the BLM protesters, and one of them flipped off the activists. Later a biker parked right in front of the group to drown out their chants, and as he revved his engine, he made a fist. Police once again appeared, and a member of the Martinsville police went over to talk to the bikers.
Our Black Lives dont matter, thats why we are out here protesting, said one of the BLM activists.
A woman maybe in her 60s, wearing a plaid shirt, grey sweatpants, and blue sandals, could be heard saying, They look like trouble makers to me. I protested against the Vietnam War, but I didnt go to someone elses town to do it.
The Mayor of Martinsville, Kenneth Costin, standing on the square, told The Bloomingtonian hed gotten no advance notice that the BLM activists would hold a rally in Martinsville, and when he heard about it, he reached out to the organizers of the previous rally, but they said they were not the organizers. The Mayor asked where the protesters had come from and seemed surprised that the bikers who had come to oppose them were also from out of town.
At various points during the rally, both sides insulted each other, and some people were held back by others, or the police.
A chaplain from the Martinsville Police Department handed out water to BLM protesters, and also the counter-protesters, and said he didnt want anybody to have a medical emergency due to dehydration.
Sherry Tucker told the crowd of counter-protesters that its not that white lives dont matter, they do matter, but since Black lives dont matter, that until they do, all lives cant matter.
Tucker told the crowd shed answer any questions they had. Some counter-protesters yelled questions, and Tucker attempted to answer them. Then the BLM activists marched around the courthouse again, and a man in his 50s put a scoped hunting rifle back into his vehicle.
By 6 p.m. the crowd began to dissipate, and the BLM activists appeared to be huddled in a group preparing to leave the area.
Liked it? Take a second to support The Bloomingtonian on Patreon!
Continue reading here:
- A summer of solidarity: Looking back on the Black Lives Matter marches in Japan - The Japan Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Black Lives Matter has brought a global reckoning with history. This is why the Uluru Statement is so crucial - The Conversation AU - December 22nd, 2020
- New WA Black Lives Matter Alliance agenda aims for 'liberation' - KUOW News and Information - December 22nd, 2020
- Black Lives Matter 757 organizing toy drive and distribution - WAVY.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Protests Spur Creation of Institute for the Study of Global Racial Justice - Rutgers Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Asking the Clergy: Black Lives Matter movement and Kwanzaa - Newsday - December 22nd, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Backlash: The NYPD's War on Protesters Intensifies - The Indypendent - December 22nd, 2020
- Year in Review: How Black Lives Matter Inspired a New Generation of Youth Activists - Rolling Stone - December 17th, 2020
- In 2021, we must show that Black Lives Matter beyond diversity theater - Fast Company - December 17th, 2020
- Why Black Lives Matter: African American thriving for the twenty-first century - Religion News Service - December 17th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter demonstrator's rescue is this year's Most Inspiring Moment - CNN - December 17th, 2020
- Six months after mass protests began, what is the future of BLM? - The Economist - December 17th, 2020
- The City of Portland Fines a Building Owner for Oversized Black Lives Matter Sign - Willamette Week - December 17th, 2020
- Maria Casely-Hayford on Black Lives Matter: It is a cultural wake-up call such as Ive never seen before - British GQ - December 17th, 2020
- Fact check: Story about United Airlines, Black Lives Matter and a toddler is satirical - USA TODAY - December 17th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter and the Color of the Public Square - Religion & Politics - December 17th, 2020
- 2020 Best of the Beat Forsyth County Edition: Black Lives Matter - Triad City Beat - December 17th, 2020
- Organizer of Black Lives Matter mural in Florence requests that the city does not remove it - WBTW - December 17th, 2020
- What's Happened To Charlotte's Black-Owned Businesses In The Wake Of COVID-19 And BLM Movement? - WFAE - September 26th, 2020
- Youth Spotlight Column: Black lives matter in the hearts of Ipswich Students - The Local Ne.ws - September 26th, 2020
- Back the Blue, Black Lives Matter rallies meet on Clinton Street - The Ithaca Voice - September 26th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter's Goal to 'Disrupt' the Nuclear Family Fits a Marxist Aim That Goes Back a Century and a Half | Jon Miltimore - Foundation for... - September 26th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: If you don't agree that Black lives matter, you are racist - Summit Daily News - September 26th, 2020
- The sheriff's race pitting Trump against Black Lives Matter - NBC News - September 26th, 2020
- 4 Things the Liberal Media Wont Tell You About Black ... - September 4th, 2020
- You're Being Duped: Black Lives Matter Founder Admits "We ... - September 4th, 2020
- Here's What Black Lives Matter Leaders' Ultimate Goal Is - September 4th, 2020
- What Is The Black Lives Matter Movement? - WorldAtlas - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Just Entered Its Next Phase - The Atlantic - September 4th, 2020
- Back the Blue and Black Lives Matter protests face off in Danvers - Boston Herald - September 4th, 2020
- Utah police union accuses teachers of 'political indoctrination' by supporting Black Lives Matter movement in class - Salt Lake Tribune - September 4th, 2020
- Mayor one-ups Black Lives Matter rally with his own plans - ABC News - September 4th, 2020
- Webster Groves neighbors mailed anonymous letter asking them to remove Black Lives Matter signs - KMOV.com - September 4th, 2020
- Man arrested after carrying AR-15 near Black Lives Matter protests in Vermont - NBC News - September 4th, 2020
- How to be an ally for Black lives - Medical News Today - September 4th, 2020
- Black Lives Don't Matter to Black Lives Matter, Says Rudy Giuliani - Mother Jones - August 28th, 2020
- 'Black Lives Matter' mural to be painted along Grace Street in Downtown - Richmond Free Press - August 28th, 2020
- NHLs lack of solidarity with Black Lives Matter protests out of touch, say critics - News 1130 - August 28th, 2020
- Yellow Springs Black Lives Matter Protests On Thirteenth Consecutive Week - WYSO - August 28th, 2020
- JOIN THE DISCUSSION: Voting in the Time of COVID & Black Lives Matter (LIVE PANEL AT 2PM) - 10News - August 28th, 2020
- Organizers expecting up to 250 participants in Aug. 29 Black Lives Matter march in Pendleton - East Oregonian - August 28th, 2020
- Elected officials join Black Lives Matter protest on third night since shooting of Jacob Blake - UW Badger Herald - August 28th, 2020
- The BoF Podcast: Stella Jean Asks 'Do Black Lives Matter in Italian Fashion?' | Podcasts | BoF - The Business of Fashion - August 28th, 2020
- McCarthy addresses COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter in live Q&A - The Bakersfield Californian - August 28th, 2020
- Flight attendant suspects his ties to Black Lives Matter led to vandalism of his SUV at DIA - FOX 31 Denver - August 28th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter in Northern Ireland - The Economist - August 28th, 2020
- San Jose in a quandary over what to do with unauthorized Black Lives Matter mural - The Mercury News - August 10th, 2020
- A look at where the Black Lives Matter murals will be placed in KC - KCTV Kansas City - August 10th, 2020
- How this Llama is playing peacemaker amid Black Lives Matter protests in Portland - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2020
- What is intolerance fatigue, and how is it fueling Black Lives Matter protests? - The Conversation US - August 10th, 2020
- How did the Black Lives Matter movement get to where it is today? - News@Northeastern - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: dramas from the Black Lives Matter frontlines - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- N.Y.P.D. Besieges a Protest Leader as He Broadcasts Live - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- High school student forced to take off Black Lives Matter mask at graduation ceremony, family says - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- In the Wake of Protests - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Dozens of police officers gathered outside the home of a BLM ... - August 9th, 2020
- Protesters clash in Minden after sheriff's statement on Black ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Protester Turns Himself In To Police One ... - August 9th, 2020
- Jewish Responsibility During Black Lives Matter | Jewish ... - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Has Destroyed the Spirit of Sports - August 9th, 2020
- U.S. artist Adam Pendleton brings Black Lives Matter to Tel Aviv: I dont shy away from complicated ideas - Haaretz - August 9th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter group offers rural people 'insight into prejudice' - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founders: Marxist, Radical and Soros ... - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter: Making sense of the hashtag, movement and protests - Deseret News - August 8th, 2020
- American Catholics and the Black Lives Matter Movement - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Back the Badge and Black Lives Matter protesters turn out Olathe - KCTV Kansas City - August 8th, 2020
- 'Thirty miles a day': They're walking 750 miles to arrive in DC on 57th anniversary of MLK's 'I Have A Dream' speech - USA TODAY - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Rally on Grounds of Former German Youth Camp in Sussex County - TAPinto.net - August 8th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Mural at Trump Tower Vandalized Again by Repeat Offender - NBC New York - August 8th, 2020
- Someone Tagged Black Lives Matter Outside a Church in Southeast Portland. Staff Decided to Keep Itand Turn It Into a Mural - Willamette Week - August 8th, 2020
- Someone wrote 'Black Lives Matter' in the Black Rock Desert. It's 4 miles wide. - Reno Gazette Journal - August 6th, 2020
- Family travels the country to spread a message of love and honor Black Lives Matter - KGW.com - August 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter takes center ice in a historic moment for the NHL - People's World - August 6th, 2020
- Technologys Role In Driving Progress In Black Lives Matter - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Listen to the young voices of the Black Lives Matter movement - The Guardian - August 6th, 2020
- Experience prepared Julie Rousseau to lead USCs Black Lives Matter Action Team - OCRegister - August 6th, 2020
- Grants offered to artists responding to Black Lives Matter - AroundtheO - August 5th, 2020
- Beyond the Paint in Worcester to showcase Black Lives Matter mural artists - Worcester Telegram - August 5th, 2020
- Portlands Wall of Moms is now Moms United for Black Lives - Vox.com - August 5th, 2020
- From Black Lives Matter to Bleak House: David Lammy picks the best books about justice - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020