Blockchain enthusiast developer and writer. My telegram: ksshilov
Many are surprised to learn that the Bible makes so many references to the topic of money. To be specific, the Good Book contains about 500 verses on prayer, fewer than 500 on faith, but more than 2,300 on money!
Financial dealings are mentioned more often than salvation, redemption, faith, and even love. And certainly more than heaven and hell (combined). In fact, the only topic to which the Bible dedicates more page space than that of money is the Kingdom of God.
With all this source material, then, can we take a guess at what Jesus would have thought about Bitcoin? Lets explore the implications of three Biblical excerpts found in the New Testament: the Cost of Being a Disciple, the Parable of the Talents, and the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders.
In the Book of Luke, Jesus is traveling with a large crowd. He turns to them and says:
Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Wont you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, This person began to build and wasnt able to finish.
From this quote, we can infer that Jesus understood the importance of accurately estimating costs before embarking on a project, and the inevitable ridicule that would result from failing to do so.
image via Word On Fire
So how does this relate to Bitcoin?
An aspect of cryptocurrency that doesnt get much press is its enormous cost of development. Competent programmers make up only a very small percentage of the worlds labor force, and an even smaller portion of them are fluent in the programming languages used in existing cryptocurrency implementations.
So it should come as no surprise, then, that the average annual salary for a single Bitcoin developer is over $103,000. And thats just one person! This six-figure sum doesnt cover any of the other personnel costs associated with development like management, human resources, legal, or testing infrastructure.
Early Bitcoin enthusiasts assumed that development costs would either be altruistically borne by volunteers, and/or be subsidized by companies that use the Bitcoin ecosystem. And it turned out that they were right, except the results werent what they hoped for.
Beginning around 2014, various companies with competing visions of Bitcoin began ponying up the dough to hire their own Bitcoin developers, write their own supplemental whitepapers, and run their own public relations campaigns. These well-financed, competing entities created deep splits within the Bitcoin community. Years later, the result has been hard forks, a failure to scale, and an abrupt rebranding from electronic cash to digital gold.
If there had simply been an accurate calculation of costs from the beginningand a plan made to internally finance these costsits possible that none of the ugly splits and mission-failure would have happened.
Luckily, other cryptocurrencies took notice of the problem early-on and developed internal financing models to ensure they could afford to independently build out their visions. Dash and BitShares were the first networks to do so in 2014, creating treasury models that have since been utilized by countless other projects including Cardano, Zcash, and maybe even Bitcoin Cash.
When it comes to financial planning, its likely that Jesus would not have approved of Bitcoins disastrous dependence on volunteers and third parties, and would have looked instead to a project that covers its ongoing costs via internal financing.
In Biblical times, a talent was not an innate skill, but rather a unit of value based on weight. In Matthew, Jesus tells about a landowner whos about to go on a journey. The landowner gathers some talents and calls three of his servants to him. [T]o one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one.
After a time, the landowner comes back, and he checks what each of his servants has done with the talent(s) received:
The one who had received the five talents went off at once and traded with them, and made five more talents. In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his masters money.
image via St. Michael Catholic Church
We can conclude from this parable that Jesus approved of putting money to work, so to speak, resulting in a person having more talents at the end of a time period than he started with.
The parable of the talents is reminiscent of the staking model that many cryptocurrencies run today, in which holders of their tokens of value are able to generate additional value in exchange for providing necessary node infrastructure and/or governance services.
But Bitcoin doesnt have any such thing. Within the Bitcoin system, the best that a token holder can do is hodlan action that makes him quite similar to the servant who dug a hole in the ground and hid his masters money.
We can conclude, then, that as opposed to just holding Bitcoin, Jesus would have instead preferred to make a return with any number of the cryptocurrencies which practice staking today, like Tezos, Dash, and maybe shortly Ethereum.
Now to our third and final account: a story Jesus told in both Matthew and Luke about what happens to differently-built houses when storms inevitably strike. Jesus says that the individual who puts His teachings into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock:
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
The parable continues that the man who does not heed Jesus teachings is like a foolish man who built his house on sand:
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.
In cryptocurrency, 51% attacks can be seen as violent storms. Similar to the destruction of a home by wind and water, a 51% attack destroys faith and longevity in a cryptocurrency by proving that its foundation is insecure.
image via Reformed Baptist Blog
Such attacks have successfully been carried out within networks like Ethereum Classic, Bitcoin Gold, Vertcoin, andmore controversiallyBitcoin Cash. Some have even questioned whether 2016s Ethereum DAO rollback was, in fact, a 51% attack. Such a question arose again in 2019 when the leader of the worlds largest cryptocurrency exchange stated that hed discussed a re-org of Bitcoins blockchain with miners who possessed the power to pull it off (though unlike in Ethereum, a Bitcoin rollback/reorg was not then executed).
That these credible threats are present within such large networks has inspired more nimble networks to build protections against 51% attacks. The most notable attempt has come from Dash, which released a technology called ChainLocks in 2019. The technology has subsequently been integrated into companies like Coinbase, KeepKey, and HitBTC, and scheduled for addition to the protocols of networks like Zcoin.
Given these considerations, we can safely conclude that Jesusclearly a big fan of building on rockswould prefer the solid foundations of coins like Dash and Zcoin over sandy ones like that of Bitcoin.
Stories and parables from the Bible can give us a decent idea of what Jesus would think about Bitcoin, but less an idea about what he would actually do (buy, short, trade, something else?) Given that the best course of crypto action is entirely dependent on an individuals circumstances, as well as precise market conditions at the time, we can probably only answer the question with: It depends.
So regardless of how, precisely, Jesus would have interacted with the current cryptocurrency market (if, indeed, he would have interacted at all), we can feel fairly confident that he would have preferred a coin which 1) has a self-funding mechanism, 2) allows for user returns via a system like staking, and 3) has protocol-level protection from 51% attacks.
Blockchain enthusiast developer and writer. My telegram: ksshilov
Subscribe to get your daily round-up of top tech stories!
View original post here:
- Crypto cash: Stakeholders talk about what could be the way forward - The Indian Express - November 29th, 2021
- Data Shows a Myriad of Crypto Networks Are More Profitable to Mine Than Bitcoin Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Hit Another New All-Time High This Month. Why Crypto Investors Should Ignore the Ups and Downs - NextAdvisor - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash: Why this moving average could be key for a break to the upside - AMBCrypto News - October 20th, 2021
- As Bitcoin goes mainstream, Wall Street looks to cash in - ABC News - October 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash Gets Geared Up For A Move As Ethereum Lead The Way Higher - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 20th, 2021
- ETC Group: Europe Overtakes Canada to Hold the World's Largest and Most Traded Physical Single Asset Cryptocurrency ETP - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- The Prophecy Of Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin As Religion - Bitcoin Magazine - October 20th, 2021
- NBA agrees to first cryptocurrency sponsorship deal with Coinbase - Basketball Insiders - October 20th, 2021
- Grayscale confirms Bitcoin ETF plans and adds exposure to Zcash, Stellar Lumens and Horizen to its trusts - Cointelegraph - October 20th, 2021
- Douugh partners with Zero Hash to launch integrated crypto offering - Finextra - October 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): Hows It Differ From Bitcoin and Whats It Worth? - Yahoo Finance - April 5th, 2021
- The Power of ETH and BCH: Smart Bitcoin Cash Project Highlights Innovative Sidechain Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Developers Launch the First Hosted Noncustodial Payment Processor for Bitcoin Cash Payments Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Ethereum Sets a New All-Time High Above the $2K Handle, Bitcoin Cash Markets Jump 8% Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- US Judge Dismisses Antitrust Case Accusing Bitmain, Kraken, and BCH Devs of Manipulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Top 10 Cryptocurrencies To Invest In 2021 - Goodreturns - April 5th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers April 5th, 2021 - FX Empire - April 5th, 2021
- PayPal solidifies standing as major crypto player with latest payment option - Business Insider - April 5th, 2021
- Ziglu makes Tezos and digital coin tez available to customers - Finextra - April 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): There's More Than One Bitcoin? - Vulcan Post - April 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Soars After Kim Dotcom Support - Finance Magnates - February 15th, 2021
- Kim Dotcom Publishes a Website That Highlights the Benefits of Bitcoin Cash Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - February 15th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers February 14th, 2021 - FX Empire - February 15th, 2021
- What is the problem with cryptocurrency (bitcoin)? - Investors' Corner - Investors' Corner BNP Paribas - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin Has Reached Its Latest High Above $48,000What's Next? - Forbes - February 15th, 2021
- Apple Pay can now be used to spend Bitcoin - CNET - February 15th, 2021
- Uber wont buy bitcoin with its cash but would consider accepting it as payment, CEO says - CNBC - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin cash out: Is it worth using Bitcoin as money? - Marketing Analysis - February 15th, 2021
- UK cryptocurrency startups coining the future of fintech in 2021 - UKTN (UK Technology News - February 15th, 2021
- If Dogecoin is a Joke, Why is Elon Musk Pumping This Meme Cryptocurrency? - Value The Markets - February 15th, 2021
- Better Than Bitcoin? 6 Other Cryptocurrencies You Should Consider - InvestorPlace - February 15th, 2021
- 5 reasons why bitcoin cryptocurrency prices are on the rise - Economic Times - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash, Ripple Price Prediction: What Next for BCH and XRP? - InvestingCube - February 11th, 2021
- Ray Dalio on why Bitcoin is zooming and why it faces hurdles as an alternative asset - Moneycontrol - February 11th, 2021
- The Impact of Bitcoin on Online Poker - TechRound - February 11th, 2021
- The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: What It Is and How It Works - CoinDesk - Coindesk - February 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 9.14% Up In The Last 24 Hours - Via News Agency - February 11th, 2021
- Central Bank of Kenya to Reportedly Use Bitcoin as Reserve Currency - Coingape - February 11th, 2021
- Dogecoin Blasts Into Top 10, And Leaves - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- Crypto Has Entered Its Fourth Stage Of Adoption, Industry Exec Says - Forbes - January 30th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers January 30th, 2021 - FX Empire - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bearish Momentum: 6.82% Down In The Last 12 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 6.88% Up In The Last 6 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- USDT Transactions on Tron Surpassed Ethereum Tether Transactions Every Day in 2021 Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Jumps To Almost USD 38K, Ethereum, Altcoins Try To Follow - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- American Cancer Society Creates Its First Crypto Only Donation Fund News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Gemini research reveals 2 in 5 crypto investors in the UK are women - PR Newswire UK - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 5.93% Up In The Last 6 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- How to buy bitcoin in a IRA: Rules, benefits, risks, and where to buy - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Holds Steady Above USD 30K, Ethereum and Altcoins Gain Traction - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- US Court Sentences ICO Fraudster to 6 Months in Jail: Orders the Accused to Pay Over $4 Million in Restitution Regulation - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin On Bearish Momentum: 11.62% Down In The Last 12 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- Ex-CEO of Bitcoin.com, a Leading Proponent of Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Joins Nodle's Board to Help Develop the Nodle Cash Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- The Genesis of BCH Tokenization: Over 10,000 SLP Tokens Built on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 30th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Roger Ver Propaganda for the Blockchain Technology and Use Case Continues - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 28th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Crypto hedge funds and mining regulations: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 27th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 26th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- AirVPN review: Good speeds and full of stats - PCWorld - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 25th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Unlimited Launches Two-Option Voting App Powered by Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Up $0.33 On 4 Hour Chart, Started Today Up 2.12%; in a Downtrend Over Past 30 Days - CFDTrading - September 18th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 18th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 17th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 18th, 2020
- Miny.CC Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Mining Sphere | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Mad Money's Jim Cramer 'Fixated' on Buying Bitcoin, Fears Massive Inflation | News - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Faces Third Blockchain Split in Under Four Years - Decrypt - September 4th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 4th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 4th, 2020
- Meet The 2 Newest Grayscale Products That Trade On OTC Markets - Yahoo Finance - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Analysis: Breakdown Could Extend Below $200 - Live Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Price Prediction: Bitcoin Cash, Tron and Ethereum European Wrap 2 September - FXStreet - September 4th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers August 31st, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Slips in Latest Crypto Ranking by Chinese Government-Backed Center | News - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers August 30th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 4th, 2020
- Canaan Cuts Losses for Second Successive Quarter, Down To $2.4M in Q2; Demand Remains Weak - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Inter-Blockchain Liquidity: Minting Synthetic Bitcoin Cash With the Ren Protocol - Bitcoin News - August 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Price Prediction: BCH/USD looking forward to a falling wedge pattern breakout - FXStreet - August 28th, 2020