Inspired by frustration with Bitcoins scalability challenges, Bitcoin Cash (BCH) is designed to be a more practical cryptocurrency for everyday transactions on the blockchain. In this article, we explore the founding purpose of BCH and what sets it apart.
Bitcoin (BTC) is a relatively new technological development. Despite having only launched in 2009, it has already spawned numerous alternative coins (altcoins). Somewhat controversially, one of the first altcoins incorporates Bitcoin in its name but what is Bitcoin Cash (BCH)? Based on the original Bitcoin code, Bitcoin Cash implements several technical changes that have far-reaching implications. Inspired by frustration with Bitcoins scalability challenges, Bitcoin Cash is designed to be a more practical cryptocurrency for everyday transactions on the blockchain. Its increased block size encourages use as a payment system rather than as a store of value.
The Bitcoin protocol was designed in 2008, and the network itself went online in January 2009 with the mining of what is known as the genesis block the first block on the Bitcoin blockchain. Over the years, the Bitcoin community grew from a small community of computer scientists and cryptographers to become increasingly mainstream. As Bitcoin adoption grew, different opinions and strategies about how to accommodate this growth emerged within its core group of developers.
In Bitcoins early stages, the network was more than capable of managing the transaction load of a niche community of developers. But as its popularity grew, the network got bogged down with an increasingly large amount of transactions, ultimately slowing down their processing time.
The concern was that eventually, Bitcoin transactions might take days or weeks to clear if nothing was done, which could also require users to pay higher fees to accelerate the process. Neither scenario was ideal, and this became known as Bitcoins scalability problem.
Several solutions were proposed that can be grouped into two camps: those who sought to increase the block size, and those who sought to keep block size small. Bitcoins maximum block size is 1MB. Thats how much data can be contained in each block of the blockchain. By most technological standards, thats not a lot of data. There were, of course, pros and cons on both sides of the debate, but none convincing enough to unite the community of developers.
With the core developers unable to achieve a consensus regarding the appropriate path forward, ahard forktook place. In both soft andhard forks, an update to the original blockchain is made, but not all of thenodesaccept the update. In the case of a hard fork, the nodes that do accept the update are migrated to a new blockchain and the coins on the new blockchain are separate and unique from the original ones. Bitcoin Cash (BCH) was created in a hard fork of the original Bitcoin protocol in August of 2017, complete with a unique Bitcoin Cash blockchain and BCH cryptocurrency.
The desire to increase the number of transactions that could take place every second was the primary impetus for the Bitcoin Cash fork. This concern is reflected in the structure of BCH, with its increased block size. More data in each block means that transactions can be processed more quickly. Measures were also taken to reduce the total amount of data that needed to be verified in each transaction, which further sped up the process.
These technical differences are significant. Transaction speed is crucial to the scalability, functionality, widespread adoption, and ultimate success of a cryptocurrency. For comparison, Bitcoin is capable of processing seven transactions per second, whereas Bitcoin Cash processes 116 transactions per second on average. Its also worth noting that Visa processes 24,000 transactions per second. In the eyes of Bitcoin Cash supporters, seven transactions per second wasnt going to cut it in the long run.
The Bitcoin Cash fork was a hotbed of controversy. The core group of developers initially working on Bitcoin were early-adopters of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology meaning, they were passionate about the project and believed in its long-term potential. Supporters of both Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash felt that their way forward was the right one, so the hard fork was the only way both equally passionate groups could proceed.
Supporters of BTC argued that BCHs increased block size meant that it would be more energy-intensive and costly to run a node. More processing power requirements could theoretically become a barrier for individuals to operate nodes and preserve the decentralized nature of the network. This could in turn open the door for centralized institutions to take control of the network.
Aside from the deep ideological differences between the two camps, the controversy between Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash also stems from the latters appropriation of the Bitcoin name. Although BCH is technically very similar to BTC, many believe that its adoption of the Bitcoin name is to some degree disrespectful.
Furthermore, after Bitcoin creatorSatoshi Nakamotos disappearance from the Bitcoin community, many speculated about what Satoshis original vision for Bitcoin truly was. Different accounts of Satoshis vision suggest that his original intent was either more aligned with BTC or BCH. The controversy gets especially heated when significant figures in the cryptocurrency community voice assertions on the matter.
For example, Craig Wright (who has claimed to be Satoshi himself) has expressed that Bitcoin Cash is Bitcoin. As a controversial figure (with a history of alleged fraud), his support of BCH has fanned the flames on both sides of the BTC versus BCH debate with many BCH supporters still distancing themselves from Wright.
Despite all the controversy that exists between the two cryptocurrencies, they fulfill largely distinct roles and share only a name. They have different use cases. BTC functions like digital gold and operates as a store of value, whereas BCH serves as digital cash and aims to be a payment method. Many users understand this and support the further development of both BTC and BCH.
This article originally appeared on Gemini and is republished here with permission.
- Bitcoin Cash is oversold but heres how traders can manage risk - AMBCrypto News - July 27th, 2022
- Why Bitcoin Is A CDS On The Fed - Bitcoin Magazine - July 27th, 2022
- Coinbase Spots Record-breaking Volumes For Its Future "Nano" Product - The Coin Republic - July 27th, 2022
- Six New Crypto Betting Options Added To Sportsbook Menus - SportsBetting.Legal - July 27th, 2022
- Difference between Cryptocurrency Hard Forks and Airdrops - Ripple Coin News - July 27th, 2022
- Singapore's Zipmex To Write Off $5 Million Exposure To Celsius, Bitcoin, Ethereum Fall 2% - Outlook India - July 27th, 2022
- Crypto Donations To Boost California Politicians' Chance Of Winning In Elections | Bitcoinist.com - Bitcoinist - July 27th, 2022
- Eric Adams may have lost more than $1,000 converting his first paycheck to crypto - New York Post - January 25th, 2022
- Crypto Espresso: Your quick shot of the latest crypto moves and news - Stockhead - January 25th, 2022
- Crypto cash: Stakeholders talk about what could be the way forward - The Indian Express - November 29th, 2021
- Data Shows a Myriad of Crypto Networks Are More Profitable to Mine Than Bitcoin Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Hit Another New All-Time High This Month. Why Crypto Investors Should Ignore the Ups and Downs - NextAdvisor - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash: Why this moving average could be key for a break to the upside - AMBCrypto News - October 20th, 2021
- As Bitcoin goes mainstream, Wall Street looks to cash in - ABC News - October 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash Gets Geared Up For A Move As Ethereum Lead The Way Higher - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 20th, 2021
- ETC Group: Europe Overtakes Canada to Hold the World's Largest and Most Traded Physical Single Asset Cryptocurrency ETP - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- The Prophecy Of Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin As Religion - Bitcoin Magazine - October 20th, 2021
- NBA agrees to first cryptocurrency sponsorship deal with Coinbase - Basketball Insiders - October 20th, 2021
- Grayscale confirms Bitcoin ETF plans and adds exposure to Zcash, Stellar Lumens and Horizen to its trusts - Cointelegraph - October 20th, 2021
- Douugh partners with Zero Hash to launch integrated crypto offering - Finextra - October 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): Hows It Differ From Bitcoin and Whats It Worth? - Yahoo Finance - April 5th, 2021
- The Power of ETH and BCH: Smart Bitcoin Cash Project Highlights Innovative Sidechain Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Developers Launch the First Hosted Noncustodial Payment Processor for Bitcoin Cash Payments Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Ethereum Sets a New All-Time High Above the $2K Handle, Bitcoin Cash Markets Jump 8% Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- US Judge Dismisses Antitrust Case Accusing Bitmain, Kraken, and BCH Devs of Manipulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Top 10 Cryptocurrencies To Invest In 2021 - Goodreturns - April 5th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers April 5th, 2021 - FX Empire - April 5th, 2021
- PayPal solidifies standing as major crypto player with latest payment option - Business Insider - April 5th, 2021
- Ziglu makes Tezos and digital coin tez available to customers - Finextra - April 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Soars After Kim Dotcom Support - Finance Magnates - February 15th, 2021
- Kim Dotcom Publishes a Website That Highlights the Benefits of Bitcoin Cash Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - February 15th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers February 14th, 2021 - FX Empire - February 15th, 2021
- What is the problem with cryptocurrency (bitcoin)? - Investors' Corner - Investors' Corner BNP Paribas - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin Has Reached Its Latest High Above $48,000What's Next? - Forbes - February 15th, 2021
- Apple Pay can now be used to spend Bitcoin - CNET - February 15th, 2021
- Uber wont buy bitcoin with its cash but would consider accepting it as payment, CEO says - CNBC - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin cash out: Is it worth using Bitcoin as money? - Marketing Analysis - February 15th, 2021
- UK cryptocurrency startups coining the future of fintech in 2021 - UKTN (UK Technology News - February 15th, 2021
- If Dogecoin is a Joke, Why is Elon Musk Pumping This Meme Cryptocurrency? - Value The Markets - February 15th, 2021
- Better Than Bitcoin? 6 Other Cryptocurrencies You Should Consider - InvestorPlace - February 15th, 2021
- 5 reasons why bitcoin cryptocurrency prices are on the rise - Economic Times - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash, Ripple Price Prediction: What Next for BCH and XRP? - InvestingCube - February 11th, 2021
- Ray Dalio on why Bitcoin is zooming and why it faces hurdles as an alternative asset - Moneycontrol - February 11th, 2021
- The Impact of Bitcoin on Online Poker - TechRound - February 11th, 2021
- The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: What It Is and How It Works - CoinDesk - Coindesk - February 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 9.14% Up In The Last 24 Hours - Via News Agency - February 11th, 2021
- Central Bank of Kenya to Reportedly Use Bitcoin as Reserve Currency - Coingape - February 11th, 2021
- Dogecoin Blasts Into Top 10, And Leaves - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- Crypto Has Entered Its Fourth Stage Of Adoption, Industry Exec Says - Forbes - January 30th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers January 30th, 2021 - FX Empire - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bearish Momentum: 6.82% Down In The Last 12 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 6.88% Up In The Last 6 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- USDT Transactions on Tron Surpassed Ethereum Tether Transactions Every Day in 2021 Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Jumps To Almost USD 38K, Ethereum, Altcoins Try To Follow - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- American Cancer Society Creates Its First Crypto Only Donation Fund News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Gemini research reveals 2 in 5 crypto investors in the UK are women - PR Newswire UK - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 5.93% Up In The Last 6 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- How to buy bitcoin in a IRA: Rules, benefits, risks, and where to buy - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Holds Steady Above USD 30K, Ethereum and Altcoins Gain Traction - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- US Court Sentences ICO Fraudster to 6 Months in Jail: Orders the Accused to Pay Over $4 Million in Restitution Regulation - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin On Bearish Momentum: 11.62% Down In The Last 12 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- Ex-CEO of Bitcoin.com, a Leading Proponent of Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Joins Nodle's Board to Help Develop the Nodle Cash Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- The Genesis of BCH Tokenization: Over 10,000 SLP Tokens Built on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 30th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Roger Ver Propaganda for the Blockchain Technology and Use Case Continues - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 28th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Crypto hedge funds and mining regulations: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 27th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- What Would Jesus Think of Bitcoin? - hackernoon.com - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 26th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- AirVPN review: Good speeds and full of stats - PCWorld - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 25th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Unlimited Launches Two-Option Voting App Powered by Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Up $0.33 On 4 Hour Chart, Started Today Up 2.12%; in a Downtrend Over Past 30 Days - CFDTrading - September 18th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 18th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 17th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 18th, 2020
- Miny.CC Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Mining Sphere | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Mad Money's Jim Cramer 'Fixated' on Buying Bitcoin, Fears Massive Inflation | News - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Faces Third Blockchain Split in Under Four Years - Decrypt - September 4th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 4th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 4th, 2020