We live in an age where automation is advancing across nearly every industry. Self-driving trucks are being tested on our highways, drones are delivering packages, kitchen robots can whip up your favorite dish and robotic surgeons are performing complex surgeries. Along with these innovations come mounting fears over the future of the workforce. Some experts have predicted widespread unemployment in the coming years, with human workers being replaced by robotic counterparts and once-vital careers becoming obsolete.
Automation, however, can have quite the opposite effect on industries experiencing major labor shortages. Technology can fill existing gaps in the workforce by taking over repetitive, strenuous or dangerous tasksultimately creating safer, more productive work environments for employees and driving the emergence of new, tech-driven job roles. In short, automation is not eliminating jobs; its improving them.
This is particularly true in the warehousing industry where available labor is scarce. Many of todays facilities are struggling to retain staff as aging baby boomers retire in droves and young jobseekers show declining interest in material handling careers. In the 2019 MHI Annual Industry Report, 65 percent of survey respondents cited hiring qualified workers as extremely or very challenging, while an overwhelming 91 percent ranked it as at least somewhat challenging.
Warehouse staffing shortages are further compounded by operational challenges surrounding e-commerce demands, SKU proliferation and seasonal order peaks. Altogether, these issues are particularly taxing on manual warehouses where all orders are picked, packed and shipped by hand. Existing staff need to work harder and faster, sometimes taking on extra hours and overnight shifts, just to keeps orders flowing out the door on time.
In a field where on-the-job danger is a daily reality, added strain on manual warehouse workers raises the risk of injury even higher. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 5.1 out of every 100 warehouse and storage workers experience injuries or work-related illnesses each year, and many of these cases result in days away from work, job restrictions or transfers.
For manual order pickers, the most common safety risk is injury to muscles, joints, tendons and nerves, caused by repetitive, strenuous motions (twisting, bending, reaching, heavy lifting, etc.). Injuries can range from minor sprains, strains and pulled muscles to chronic conditions like repetitive stress injuries, repetitive motion injuries, musculoskeletal disorders, cumulative trauma disorders and cumulative trauma injuries.
Considering these safety risks, its no wonder that facilities have difficulty recruiting new workers to fill vacant positions.
Warehouse managers can protect their employees to an extent through preventative measures like proper ergonomics training and adherence to health and safety regulations outlined by OSHA. While better education and regulatory compliance minimize some risk, facilities can invest in automation to drastically improve ergonomic conditions, alleviate labor issues and enhance overall productivity.
Robotic hardware controlled by advanced software can take over the many demanding tasks of order fulfillment. From conveyers and automated guided vehicles (AGVs) to automated storage and retrieval systems (AS/RSs) and order picking systems, these systems run with utmost efficiency, fulfill orders with complete accuracy, and use significantly less space than a traditional, manual layout. Facilities can thereby keep up with increased fulfillment demands without putting humans at risk.
An automated layer picking solution, for example, combines gantry robots, a picking tool, and sophisticated software to pick goods in layered quantities from products stacked on the warehouse floor. The system can pick up one layer, multiple layers to create rainbow pallets, or entire pallet loadscompletely eliminating manual labor from picking and pallet building. And due to its speed and flexibility, the system enables warehouses to easily keep up with the flood of orders during peak periods.
Further, a goods-to-man picking solution can automate the movement of goods stored in totes, bins or trays. An AS/RS, shuttle device and high-speed conveyor system work together to transport goods directly to workers at ergonomic picking stations where they can rapidly pick the required items for an order. This type of system can be up to six times more efficient than a manual operation, and its speed makes it an ideal solution for e-commerce fulfillment.
With automation running 24/7, existing staff no longer have to risk injury by performing repetitive, physical labor or overexert themselves working overtime hours and overnight shifts.
Instead, tasks for employees are elevated into more sophisticated roles ranging from supervising automated operations and equipment maintenance to analyzing performance data and managing products with special handling requirements. Ultimately, the need for this kind of expertise will create new, tech-drivenand safewarehouse positions that will attract a whole new generation of tech-savvy jobseekers.
Martins Famous Pastry Shoppe, Inc. in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania previously used a completely manual process for fulfilling orders of its popular bread, rolls and baked goods. All products were picked by hand, so warehouse staff had to plan and prep orders hours in advance of dispatch. This process involved safety risks for staff who had to manually move products around the warehouse, and resulted in inefficiencies as order spiked during the busy summer season. Today, Martins Famous Pastry Shoppe, Inc. has a fully automated order fulfillment process from storage to palletizing and loading. The facility can now schedule and prepare orders within just one hour of a trucks arrival and is fully equipped to keep up during seasonal peakswithout compromising employee safety.
Todays warehouses and distribution centers can leverage new technologies made possible by the dawn of the fourth Industrial Revolution, or Industry 4.0. By embracing automation, they can transition into more modern facilities where humans, robotics and intelligent software collaborate to cultivate a greater culture of safety and productivity. With numerous automated systems available today, look to a systems provider that can analyze your current operations and identify the best fit for your facility. The right solution will help you safely overcome the challenges of today and easily meet the demands of tomorrow.
As Distribution Systems Sales Manager, Derek Rickard works closely with Cimcorps global customers to develop robotic order fulfillment systems designed to meet their warehousing needs. With over 20 years of supply chain experience, Rickard has worked on many of the first fully automated robotic picking systems in North America, with some of the largest ones exceeding 1 million cases per week.
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA): Is It Recession Proof? - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- How AI+Automation Can Transform Tedious Office-Tasks? - Analytics Insight - March 16th, 2020
- Software release cycles accelerate, but automation is not keeping up - ZDNet - March 16th, 2020
- Wannabe Wired: Don't fear the (automated) reaper - The Lawton Constitution - March 16th, 2020
- Study Shows 93% of Employees Believe Process Automation Will Make Jobs Easier - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- Centralizing Your Systems - Automation World - March 16th, 2020
- Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 16th, 2020
- Smart bathrooms have been around since the 1980s. But do they help against coronavirus? - NorthJersey.com - March 16th, 2020
- How do financial advisors stay relevant in the age of automation? - Moneyweb.co.za - March 16th, 2020
- How SEOs can benefit from using AI and automation - Econsultancy - March 16th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market World Informing, Growth Analysis And Opportunities Outlook 2020 To 2026 - News Times - March 16th, 2020
- Digital Transformation: UAE Banking Executive Explains How Fintech, AI, Robotic Process Automation is Transforming Finance Sector - Crowdfund Insider - March 16th, 2020
- Why robotic process automation (RPA) is the perfect technology for logistics - FreightWaves - March 16th, 2020
- Research Predicts Automated Deliveries Will Generate up to $48.4B in Revenue by 2030 - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- SOARIZON by Thales and Iris Automation announce partnership - sUAS News - March 16th, 2020
- This husband-wife duos startup helps companies automate their workflows - YourStory - March 16th, 2020
- Why Police Love the Idea of Automated Content Moderation - Slate - March 16th, 2020
- Smart Elevator Automation System Market 2019 Trends, Size, Segments, Emerging Technologies and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2023 - Packaging News 24 - March 16th, 2020
- Connectivity is the key to early wins in connected and automated mobility - FleetNews - March 16th, 2020
- 2.7m Aussie jobs at risk of automation - ACS - March 16th, 2020
- Bots bring automation to the war on data entry - C4ISRNet - March 16th, 2020
- Will The Tesla Model Y Allow Fully Automated Production To Happen? - InsideEVs - March 16th, 2020
- Bolt-on Software and Automation Technologies Showcased at MODEX - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Helping workers survive automation - Bangkok Post - March 11th, 2020
- AI and Automation in the Workplace - Electropages - March 11th, 2020
- Packsize and 6 River Systems Collaborate on Next-generation Warehouse Automation Technology at MODEX - DC Velocity - March 11th, 2020
- Automation startup Zinier raises $90 million to expand in Brazil - Capacity Media - March 11th, 2020
- Don't miss the big Brexit automation opportunity to improve digital skills - Information Age - March 11th, 2020
- Why enterprises are turning to partnership automation - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 11th, 2020
- Kryon Solidifies Leadership in Singapore's Robotic Process Automation Marketplace With Government Accreditation From IMDA - PRNewswire - March 11th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to automate data extraction from geotagged images - Geospatial World - March 11th, 2020
- Royal Society of Arts calls for training amid automation rise - The National - March 11th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling Market Expected to Grow with a CAGR of 11.30% During the Forecast Period, 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - March 11th, 2020
- New and notable: Automation and AI - Greenhouse Canada - March 11th, 2020
- Call Center Automation Depends on Collaborative AI - Customer Think - March 11th, 2020
- Process Automation Software Market (2020 To 2027) is booming worldwide with Adobe, AppSheet, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism - News Times - March 11th, 2020
- Munich Re Automation Solutions on the rise of the insurtech sector - Insurance Business - March 11th, 2020
- APAC Automation & Control Systems Market in the Upstream Oil & Gas Industry, Forecast to 2023 - Positive Market Sentiments Point to Slow... - March 6th, 2020
- Microsoft Goes All-In On RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - March 6th, 2020
- Aging and automation shaping workforce, labor secretary tells Worcester business group - Worcester Telegram - March 6th, 2020
- How automation is taking some of the burden for healthcare workers - Tech Wire Asia - March 6th, 2020
- Cisco Focuses on Industrial Cybersecurity and the Edge - Automation World - March 6th, 2020
- Industrial Automation and Instrumentation Market in India 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with ABB Ltd. and Eaton Corp. Plc | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 6th, 2020
- HomePod volume blasting you away? Try this volume automation - 9to5Mac - March 6th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling (AMH) Market, Forecast to 2025 - Daifuku, BEUMER Group, Siemens, JBT, and Honeywell Intelligrated are Dominating - Yahoo... - March 6th, 2020
- IS AUTOMATION A THREAT TO CONSTRUCTION WORKFORCES? - KHL Group - March 6th, 2020
- Growing Importance of Automation and Robotics in Manufacturing & Supply Chains - Analytics Insight - March 6th, 2020
- United States Library Expenditure Market Outlook to 2024 - Increasing Spending on Automation in Libraries Drives Market Growth - PRNewswire - March 6th, 2020
- Global Welding Equipment Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with ACRO Automation Systems Inc. and AMADA HOLDINGS Co. Ltd. | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 6th, 2020
- Need to upgrade worker skills to cope with automation, tech intensive jobs of future, says analyst - iTWire - March 6th, 2020
- Poland's top clothing retailer invests in automation, logistics as higher wages bite - Reuters - March 6th, 2020
- Cost of automation for the cynical CFO - Financial Director - March 6th, 2020
- This is Why Rockwell Automation (ROK) is a Great Dividend Stock - Yahoo Finance - March 6th, 2020
- On a mission to fool Amazons automated convenience stores - The Boston Globe - March 6th, 2020
- The Army turns to automation for officer assignments - Defense Systems - February 12th, 2020
- AI And Automation: Together Forever? - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Viewpoint: How Automation is Digitally Transforming the Insurance Industry - Claims Journal - February 12th, 2020
- Ponemon Institute Report Finds Security Automation Continues to Reshape Hiring Trends Year-by-year - Chinook Observer - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Is Probably Coming for Your Job Too - GQ - February 12th, 2020
- Survey: Firms trend towards automation - Bangkok Post - February 12th, 2020
- AI, automation, and the cybersecurity skills gap - VentureBeat - February 12th, 2020
- SaltStack Infrastructure Automation Now Integrated with Tenable.io for Closed-Loop Vulnerability Remediation - The Herald Journal - February 12th, 2020
- 2020 State of Branding Report Reveals Marketers Divided Over Automation's Role in Branding - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - February 12th, 2020
- TD Bank: Automation and mobile apps inevitable for the restaurant industry - Tech Wire Asia - February 12th, 2020
- Demand for Fast Deployment and Ease-of-Use Drives AP Automation to the Cloud - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 12th, 2020
- Feb. 20: CLC to host author John Wasik for automation talk - Patch.com - February 12th, 2020
- WorkFusion Named No. 1 for Intelligence and Overall Innovation in Robotic Process Automation (RPA) by HFS Research - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- CAN in Automation at Embedded World 2020 - Embedded Computing Design - February 12th, 2020
- Making the Most of AI and Automation: Steps to success - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial automation technology trends 2020 - Verdict - February 12th, 2020
- Dassault Systmes announces expanded 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS offerings - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- HANNOVER MESSE 2020 to focus on 5G, industrial climate protection - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- Global Process Automation Market: 2020 Global Trend and 2025 Forecast Research Report on Demands, Business Analysis - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Software Market Latest Trends , Size, Share, Types, Technical Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive... - February 12th, 2020
- Workstream, A Staffing Automation Startup, Helps Small Businesses Hire Hourly Workers - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Puts Reply Guys Out of Work in Fake Social Media App Botnet - VICE - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Market Boosting the Manufacturing Industry Worldwide - Robotics Tomorrow - February 12th, 2020
- Epiroc and ASI Mining to automate Roy Hill haul truck fleet - International Mining - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Solutions Market in the Oil and Gas Industry 2020-2024 | Rise in the Global Demand for Oil and Gas to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- Automated oil and gas well control - Engineer Live - February 12th, 2020