By Brian X. ChenThe 2010s made one thing clear: Tech is everywhere in life.
Tech is in our homes with thermostats that heat up our residences before we walk through the door. Its in our cars with safety features that warn us about vehicles in adjacent lanes. Its on our television sets, where many of us are streaming shows and movies through apps. We even wear it on ourselves in the form of wristwatches that monitor our health.
In 2020 and the coming decade, these trends are likely to gather momentum. They will also be on display next week at CES, an enormous consumer electronics trade show in Las Vegas that typically serves as a window into the years hottest tech developments.
At the show, next-generation cellular technology known as 5G, which delivers data at mind-boggling speeds, is expected to take center stage as one of the most important topics. We are also likely to see the evolution of smart homes, with internet-connected appliances such as refrigerators, televisions and vacuum cleaners working more seamlessly together and with less human interaction required.
The biggest thing is connected everything, said Carolina Milanesi, a technology analyst for the research firm Creative Strategies. Anything in the home well have more cameras, more mics, more sensors.
If some of this sounds the same as last year, it is but thats because new technologies often take time to mature.
Heres what to watch in tech this year.
The Smarter Home: True AutomationIn the past few years, Amazon, Apple and Google have battled to become the center of our homes.
Their virtual assistants Alexa, Google Assistant and Siri respond to voice commands to play music from speakers, control light bulbs and activate robot vacuums. Smart home products work well, but they are complicated to set up, so most people use virtual assistants just for basic tasks like setting a kitchen timer and checking the weather.
Then in December, Amazon, Apple and Google came to what appeared to be a truce: They announced that they were working together on a standard to help make smart home products compatible with one another.
In other words, when you buy an internet-connected light bulb down the line that works with Alexa, it should also work with Siri and Google Assistant. This should help reduce confusion when shopping for home products and improve the ease with which connected gadgets work with one another.
Milanesi said that eliminating complexity was a necessary step for the tech giants to achieve their ultimate goal: seamless home automation without the need for people to tell the assistants what to do.In December 2019, Amazon, Apple and Google came to what appeared to be a truce: They announced that they were working together on a standard to help make smart home products compatible with one another. You want the devices to talk to each other instead of me being the translator between these device interactions, she said. If I open my door, then the door can say to the lights that the door is open and therefore the lights need to turn on.
If and when that happens, your home will truly and finally be smart.
The Slow, Steady Rise of 5GIn 2019, the wireless industry began shifting to 5G, a technology that can deliver data at such incredibly fast speeds that people will be able to download entire movies in a few seconds.
Yet the rollout of 5G was anticlimactic and uneven. Across the United States, carriers deployed 5G in just a few dozen cities. And only a handful of new smartphones last year worked with the new cellular technology.5G will also go to work behind the scenes, in ways that will emerge over time. In 2020, 5G will gain some momentum. Verizon said it expected half the nation to have access to 5G this year. AT&T, which offers two types of 5G 5G Evolution, which is incrementally faster than 4G, and 5G Plus, which is the ultrafast version said it expected 5G Plus to reach parts of 30 cities by early 2020.
Another sign that 5G is really taking hold? A broader set of devices will support the new wireless standard.
Samsung, for one, has begun including 5G support on some of its newer Galaxy devices. Apple, which declined to comment, is also expected to release its first 5G-compatible iPhones this year.
And 5G will be going to work behind the scenes, in ways that will emerge over time. One important benefit of the technology is its ability to greatly reduce latency, or the time it takes for devices to communicate with one another. That will be important for the compatibility of next-generation devices like robots, self-driving cars and drones.
For example, if your car has 5G and another car has 5G, the two cars can talk to each other, signaling to each other when they are braking and changing lanes. The elimination of the communications delay is crucial for cars to become autonomous.
31 Dec, 2019
31 Dec, 2019
31 Dec, 2019
31 Dec, 2019
31 Dec, 2019
For a long while, Apple has dominated wearables. In 2015, it released Apple Watch, a smartwatch with a focus on health monitoring. In 2016, the company introduced AirPods, wireless earbuds that can be controlled with Siri.
Since then, many others have jumped in, including Xiaomi, Samsung and Huawei. Google recently acquired Fitbit, the fitness gadget maker, for $2.1 billion, in the hope of playing catch-up with Apple.
Computer chips are making their way into other electronic products like earphones, which means that companies are likely to introduce innovations in wearable accessories, said Frank Gillett, a technology analyst for Forrester. Two possibilities: earphones that monitor your health by pulling pulses from your ears, or earbuds that double as inexpensive hearing aids.
That whole area of improving our hearing and hearing the way other people hear us is really interesting, he said.
The Streaming RevolutionWe have rushed headlong into the streaming era, and that will only continue.
In 2019, Netflix was the most-watched video service in the United States, with people spending an average of 23 minutes a day streaming its content, according to eMarketer, the research firm. In all, digital video made up about a quarter of the daily time spent on digital devices last year, which included time spent on apps and web browsers.
Netflixs share of the overall time we spend watching video on devices will probably decline in 2020, according to eMarketer, because of the arrival of competing streaming services like Disney Plus, HBO Max and Apple TV Plus.
Even though Americans are spending more time watching Netflix, peoples attention will become more divided as new streamers emerge, Ross Benes, an analyst at eMarketer, said in a blog post.
So if you dont like 'The Mandalorian', 'The Morning Show' or 'Watchmen', you wont change the channel. You will just switch to a different app.
6 Dec, 2019
6 Dec, 2019
6 Dec, 2019
6 Dec, 2019
6 Dec, 2019
Read more from the original source:
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA): Is It Recession Proof? - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- How AI+Automation Can Transform Tedious Office-Tasks? - Analytics Insight - March 16th, 2020
- Software release cycles accelerate, but automation is not keeping up - ZDNet - March 16th, 2020
- Wannabe Wired: Don't fear the (automated) reaper - The Lawton Constitution - March 16th, 2020
- Study Shows 93% of Employees Believe Process Automation Will Make Jobs Easier - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- Centralizing Your Systems - Automation World - March 16th, 2020
- Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 16th, 2020
- Smart bathrooms have been around since the 1980s. But do they help against coronavirus? - NorthJersey.com - March 16th, 2020
- How do financial advisors stay relevant in the age of automation? - Moneyweb.co.za - March 16th, 2020
- How SEOs can benefit from using AI and automation - Econsultancy - March 16th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Market World Informing, Growth Analysis And Opportunities Outlook 2020 To 2026 - News Times - March 16th, 2020
- Digital Transformation: UAE Banking Executive Explains How Fintech, AI, Robotic Process Automation is Transforming Finance Sector - Crowdfund Insider - March 16th, 2020
- Why robotic process automation (RPA) is the perfect technology for logistics - FreightWaves - March 16th, 2020
- Research Predicts Automated Deliveries Will Generate up to $48.4B in Revenue by 2030 - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 16th, 2020
- SOARIZON by Thales and Iris Automation announce partnership - sUAS News - March 16th, 2020
- This husband-wife duos startup helps companies automate their workflows - YourStory - March 16th, 2020
- Why Police Love the Idea of Automated Content Moderation - Slate - March 16th, 2020
- Smart Elevator Automation System Market 2019 Trends, Size, Segments, Emerging Technologies and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2023 - Packaging News 24 - March 16th, 2020
- Connectivity is the key to early wins in connected and automated mobility - FleetNews - March 16th, 2020
- 2.7m Aussie jobs at risk of automation - ACS - March 16th, 2020
- Bots bring automation to the war on data entry - C4ISRNet - March 16th, 2020
- Will The Tesla Model Y Allow Fully Automated Production To Happen? - InsideEVs - March 16th, 2020
- Bolt-on Software and Automation Technologies Showcased at MODEX - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Helping workers survive automation - Bangkok Post - March 11th, 2020
- AI and Automation in the Workplace - Electropages - March 11th, 2020
- Packsize and 6 River Systems Collaborate on Next-generation Warehouse Automation Technology at MODEX - DC Velocity - March 11th, 2020
- Automation startup Zinier raises $90 million to expand in Brazil - Capacity Media - March 11th, 2020
- Don't miss the big Brexit automation opportunity to improve digital skills - Information Age - March 11th, 2020
- Why enterprises are turning to partnership automation - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 11th, 2020
- Kryon Solidifies Leadership in Singapore's Robotic Process Automation Marketplace With Government Accreditation From IMDA - PRNewswire - March 11th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to automate data extraction from geotagged images - Geospatial World - March 11th, 2020
- Royal Society of Arts calls for training amid automation rise - The National - March 11th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling Market Expected to Grow with a CAGR of 11.30% During the Forecast Period, 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - March 11th, 2020
- New and notable: Automation and AI - Greenhouse Canada - March 11th, 2020
- Call Center Automation Depends on Collaborative AI - Customer Think - March 11th, 2020
- Process Automation Software Market (2020 To 2027) is booming worldwide with Adobe, AppSheet, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism - News Times - March 11th, 2020
- Munich Re Automation Solutions on the rise of the insurtech sector - Insurance Business - March 11th, 2020
- APAC Automation & Control Systems Market in the Upstream Oil & Gas Industry, Forecast to 2023 - Positive Market Sentiments Point to Slow... - March 6th, 2020
- Microsoft Goes All-In On RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - March 6th, 2020
- Aging and automation shaping workforce, labor secretary tells Worcester business group - Worcester Telegram - March 6th, 2020
- How automation is taking some of the burden for healthcare workers - Tech Wire Asia - March 6th, 2020
- Cisco Focuses on Industrial Cybersecurity and the Edge - Automation World - March 6th, 2020
- Industrial Automation and Instrumentation Market in India 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with ABB Ltd. and Eaton Corp. Plc | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 6th, 2020
- HomePod volume blasting you away? Try this volume automation - 9to5Mac - March 6th, 2020
- Automated Material Handling (AMH) Market, Forecast to 2025 - Daifuku, BEUMER Group, Siemens, JBT, and Honeywell Intelligrated are Dominating - Yahoo... - March 6th, 2020
- IS AUTOMATION A THREAT TO CONSTRUCTION WORKFORCES? - KHL Group - March 6th, 2020
- Growing Importance of Automation and Robotics in Manufacturing & Supply Chains - Analytics Insight - March 6th, 2020
- United States Library Expenditure Market Outlook to 2024 - Increasing Spending on Automation in Libraries Drives Market Growth - PRNewswire - March 6th, 2020
- Global Welding Equipment Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with ACRO Automation Systems Inc. and AMADA HOLDINGS Co. Ltd. | Technavio - Yahoo... - March 6th, 2020
- Need to upgrade worker skills to cope with automation, tech intensive jobs of future, says analyst - iTWire - March 6th, 2020
- Poland's top clothing retailer invests in automation, logistics as higher wages bite - Reuters - March 6th, 2020
- Cost of automation for the cynical CFO - Financial Director - March 6th, 2020
- This is Why Rockwell Automation (ROK) is a Great Dividend Stock - Yahoo Finance - March 6th, 2020
- On a mission to fool Amazons automated convenience stores - The Boston Globe - March 6th, 2020
- The Army turns to automation for officer assignments - Defense Systems - February 12th, 2020
- AI And Automation: Together Forever? - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Viewpoint: How Automation is Digitally Transforming the Insurance Industry - Claims Journal - February 12th, 2020
- Ponemon Institute Report Finds Security Automation Continues to Reshape Hiring Trends Year-by-year - Chinook Observer - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Is Probably Coming for Your Job Too - GQ - February 12th, 2020
- Survey: Firms trend towards automation - Bangkok Post - February 12th, 2020
- AI, automation, and the cybersecurity skills gap - VentureBeat - February 12th, 2020
- SaltStack Infrastructure Automation Now Integrated with Tenable.io for Closed-Loop Vulnerability Remediation - The Herald Journal - February 12th, 2020
- 2020 State of Branding Report Reveals Marketers Divided Over Automation's Role in Branding - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - February 12th, 2020
- TD Bank: Automation and mobile apps inevitable for the restaurant industry - Tech Wire Asia - February 12th, 2020
- Demand for Fast Deployment and Ease-of-Use Drives AP Automation to the Cloud - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 12th, 2020
- Feb. 20: CLC to host author John Wasik for automation talk - Patch.com - February 12th, 2020
- WorkFusion Named No. 1 for Intelligence and Overall Innovation in Robotic Process Automation (RPA) by HFS Research - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- CAN in Automation at Embedded World 2020 - Embedded Computing Design - February 12th, 2020
- Making the Most of AI and Automation: Steps to success - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial automation technology trends 2020 - Verdict - February 12th, 2020
- Dassault Systmes announces expanded 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS offerings - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- HANNOVER MESSE 2020 to focus on 5G, industrial climate protection - Automation.com - February 12th, 2020
- Global Process Automation Market: 2020 Global Trend and 2025 Forecast Research Report on Demands, Business Analysis - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation Software Market Latest Trends , Size, Share, Types, Technical Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive... - February 12th, 2020
- Workstream, A Staffing Automation Startup, Helps Small Businesses Hire Hourly Workers - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Puts Reply Guys Out of Work in Fake Social Media App Botnet - VICE - February 12th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Market Boosting the Manufacturing Industry Worldwide - Robotics Tomorrow - February 12th, 2020
- Epiroc and ASI Mining to automate Roy Hill haul truck fleet - International Mining - February 12th, 2020
- Automation Solutions Market in the Oil and Gas Industry 2020-2024 | Rise in the Global Demand for Oil and Gas to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - February 12th, 2020
- Automated oil and gas well control - Engineer Live - February 12th, 2020